Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Hi-Fi Rush, after beating level 3 the shop adds two upgrades for the parry I would recommend snagging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Barudak posted:

In Hi-Fi Rush, after beating level 3 the shop adds two upgrades for the parry I would recommend snagging.

I didn't really like the directional one, because I could never tell if I got if off or not(though apparently I did because I got the challenge for it). But the partner counter stuff was gold.

I finished the main story and the combat gets pretty good once you have your kit fully online( and figure out that Dash+Heavy is a launcher), but that also coincides with the point where the game start throwing a lot of QTE enemies at you. Sure you can technically kill them before you are forced into doing the QTE, but they game really doesn't want you to. I feel like they really kill the rhythm of the game, unless you leave them for last, which I really didn't want to do since they are the most dangerous/annoying enemies.
I know that the game draws heavily from normal rhythm games, but honestly the QTEs are kind of bad, especially when they are put over a fancy cutscene so you completely miss it. Or when they seem to be tied to bars(?) instead of notes so it takes a seemingly random amount of time to bring them up after triggering them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game has a lot of amateur problems. It reminds me a lot of DmC actually, although there are no color coded enemies (so far at least).

The game has wicked weaves but for some reason they didn't add dodge offsetting, which is supposed to be there to solve the biggest issue with wicked weaves.
The Snatch cannot be aimed, and it doesn't even have a UI element to tell you which enemy it'll aim at, so it's totally loving random.
The only way to do the dash attack on beat is to do it on the same beat as the dash, which forces you to do it off-beat if you want it to have any range.

Overall I'm enjoying it so far, since the genre is pretty loving dry, but it's clearly a first attempt at a genre they otherwise have no experience in.

Also the writing is loving atrocious.

EDIT: Also also, the wicked weave timing ui element is so loving big it's obscuring enemy attacks, which is really annoying.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 27, 2023

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I think the writing is helped immensely by the creativity of the delivery. Like the facial expressions, cutscene action, and style flourishes like the comic book level previews Peppermint does, all make somewhat standard exposition into more fun stuff. Very little is just told to you in a plain text box or cutscene with characters just standing around (looking at you Astral Chain, Bayo 3). I've only collected the second burger king kids club member so far, so maybe the pace slows down at some point.

The QTE enemies are a little dumb though. The samurai where he has two separate stages of "you can't do anything to me, just wait to parry" is goofy. The lack of dodge offset I think is possible to work around consistently, even if it would fit in this game. You can at least drop any combo with a parry whenever you need to. I think the breakdown of character action combat decisions into distinct beats might really help clarify how to play these games to newcomers. Tell your friends to try this one!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Jack Trades posted:

The game has a lot of amateur problems. It reminds me a lot of DmC actually, although there are no color coded enemies (so far at least).
They are coming, you just wait, though thankfully once you've broken their shield with the right colour of partner attack they mostly stay unshielded.

Jack Trades posted:

The only way to do the dash attack on beat is to do it on the same beat as the dash, which forces you to do it off-beat if you want it to have any range.

You can actually do both a perfect dash -> perfect dash attack but the timing is super loving tight and not really worth trying,, though I would guess that going above normal difficulty with the tighter timing makes it completely impossible, but yeah it really sucks that they didn't just force it so that hitting the perfect beat after a dash was always a dash attack. Why tie everything to the beats, if you aren't actually going to do that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Trying to figure out what you guys mean by dash attacks. Just hitting X or Y right after a dash? I get HEYs on those pretty easily, they're just grace notes or w/e

Or are you like wanting to wait and hit the attack button when you reach your target?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Trying to figure out what you guys mean by dash attacks. Just hitting X or Y right after a dash? I get HEYs on those pretty easily, they're just grace notes or w/e

Or are you like wanting to wait and hit the attack button when you reach your target?

Doing dash attacks on beat is easy if you just press dash then attack on the same beat, but if you do that then you sacrifice all of the range on your dash, which makes the dash attack pointless.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I may be simple minded but I think the dialog is fine and sometimes funny. It reminds me of Viewtiful Joe but with some decent slapstick

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Doing dash attacks on beat is easy if you just press dash then attack on the same beat, but if you do that then you sacrifice all of the range on your dash, which makes the dash attack pointless.

Oh I see. I guess I do usually get pretty close before using dash attacks. Still nice doing the first press of any string starting with X during the dash, or the quick launcher with Y.

hatty posted:

I may be simple minded but I think the dialog is fine and sometimes funny. It reminds me of Viewtiful Joe but with some decent slapstick

Yeah I haven't had a problem with it. It's written like a Cartoon Network show from the aughts, your Teen Titans (old) or uh Ben 10 or whatever, which is good because that's what it looks like too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

hatty posted:

I might be in the minority but I absolutely cannot stand the main character. He's an absolutely moron with no personality besides "moron" and "delusional" and he comment on absolutely every single loving thing despite not having anything of value to say. It's really grating.
His sidekick isn't even good enough at roasting his rear end.

It IS written exactly like a saturday morning cartoon. The only problem is that I'm not 14 anymore.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yeah this really is one of those rare game where IMO a silent protagonist would be a significant improvement. Because he really doesn't get any better, but the game acts like he does, so a lot of the ending feels really unearned. And honestly he never really stops being an outsider to the story other than being the viewpoint character, so he could really be removed in favour of making any of the other characters the PC. The only reason he's there is to make an excuse for why everything is rhythm based, because he wants to be a Rockstar, for everything else Peppermint being the protagonist would honestly make more sense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you get to the "wicked weave" but dash out of it because 3 beats of windup is way too loving slow, then the UI element doesn't disappear despite you not being able to do the "wicked weave" anymore. It's driving me nuts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy poo poo. I got to the encounter where they put a blue enemy and a red enemy in the same room and it triggered my DmC PTSD.

You can't even use X+A into the special Partner Attacks to bypass having to wait for your blue/red attacks to go off cooldown! This is the worst.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah that’s the worst part of the game. It’s one thing to make the enemies impervious to everything unless you use the one move that makes them vulnerable, but it’s another when this move is on a cooldown and you can’t aim it! Love everything else though

hatty fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 29, 2023

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i mostly relied on the parry/dodge counters which have instant cooldowns...unless the partner is already on cooldown from you calling them normally

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I didn’t think of doing it that way, that sounds better

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lets hang out posted:

i mostly relied on the parry/dodge counters which have instant cooldowns...unless the partner is already on cooldown from you calling them normally

There are dodge counters? Are they unlocked later?

The first red enemy type also mostly does unparryable AoE spam.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

There are dodge counters? Are they unlocked later?

The first red enemy type also mostly does unparryable AoE spam.

Not sure when they unlocked, probably by stage 4? You buy them, change tabs left or right in the attacks part of the store. Parry or just dodge and then hit the assist button on the next beat, calls in a stronger version of the assist that usually breaks shields/armor instantly. Works for enemies far away too, the assist gets called right on top of them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Not sure when they unlocked, probably by stage 4? You buy them, change tabs left or right in the attacks part of the store. Parry or just dodge and then hit the assist button on the next beat, calls in a stronger version of the assist that usually breaks shields/armor instantly. Works for enemies far away too, the assist gets called right on top of them.

Sounds like something that you should've gotten for free at the same time as color coded enemies are introduced.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Is Soulstice any good and worth playing?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pulcinella posted:

Is Soulstice any good and worth playing?

It's very amateur but it's not bad if you want to scrape the bottom of the barrel for the genre.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1620505746952814592?t=eNr_AP5-SLSDLuu4Jtyl-Q&s=19

Heh. That explains a lot

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Playing through the campaign on Very Hard now. I think the main thing holding me back from S-Ranking everything is still the Just Timing. If I can get that closer to 80% then I think I'll be in pretty good shape for Rhythm Master since I'm already doing pretty good at keeping the combo meter up and staying alive. I also need to parry counter more since it's basically an instant kill for zero meter. The assist finishers are so hype. If you start with Peppermint's ground assist you can link into a full aerial combo, which is usually enough to delete any machine in the game.

I keep wanting XXY to be a combo string even though it isn't.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wanted: Dead comes out in 2 days and it looks like it's either going to be the best bad game or the worst bad game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Imo it looks very good for what it is. I like the character trailers they've put out and they are kinda funny. The main character has a strong Swiss accent and her teammates have a hard time understanding her.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I spent a dozen hours playing Bloodrayne and Bloodrayne 2, out of lack of better things to do.

The first game is absolute garbage but I thought the second game was kind of cool.
It was super jank, a little basic by modern standards and none of the defensive mechanics seemed to work well, but I really liked the Revengeance/DOOM-esque philosophy of all basic enemies just being resources to extract health/ammo/mana from and the game having a bunch of ridiculous and over-choreographed animations of doing so.

I would really like it if someone competent made a Bloodrayne 3.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Jack Trades posted:

I would really like it if someone competent made a Bloodrayne 3.
This is the important part, I tried playing BloodRayne Betrayal again this week and it still sucks. It obviously tries to be a 2D Character Action game, but IMO it just doesn't work, both the platforming and combat just feels off, especially against the enemies you fight against. That said Aeon Flux for the PS2 is pretty much a BloodRayne 2.5, just with a different licence(and a super short dev time), if you are looking for where the original devs went from there.

Honestly I kind of prefer the first BloodRayne to the second, just because it keeps more of the horror theming from Nocturne, even if it's very much an action game, One of the things I really miss in 2 is the ability to keep shooting while draining someone, since that did a lot to keep the tempo up. I also like them having the guts and just letting you have infinite bullet time rather than tying it to a meter or something.

Also more games should have an equivalent to the "ShowMeMyWeapons" cheat.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

Wanted: Dead comes out in 2 days and it looks like it's either going to be the best bad game or the worst bad game.

I could have sworn it was $39 but seeing that it’s $59 I am definitely taking a wait and see approach. The bits have seen seem janky, but also seems like some of the awkwardness could be reduced if you know how the game intends you to play (and if that intended way is actually fun). E.g. The small bits of gameplay I’ve seen show players confused about how much they should be shooting and how much they should be using melee.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's giving me Devil's Third vibes which isn't promising lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's giving me Devil's Third vibes which isn't promising lol

I think it's by the same developers.

No it's not, it's by the same people that did the latest Valkyrie and Samurai Jack games.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 12, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I thought it was as well and also had to double check so I'm glad it's not just me. Devil's Third was directed by Itagaki I guess

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Jack Trades posted:

I think it's by the same developers.

No it's not, it's by the same people that did the latest Valkyrie and Samurai Jack games.

Yet the official game description says its from original devs of Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The game director is Hiroaki Matsui who made Ninja Gaiden 1/2/B and DoA 3/4.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/12/soleil-absorbs-valhalla-game-studios

Soleil is Valhalla Game Studios, they absorbed them previously. I think they were both formed by expats of Tecmo under the same parent company, so at one point they basically merged and dissolved the name attached to Devil's Third.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't know if Soleil spun off from Tecmo or from VGS honestly, it was unclear from the things I looked up, but they're essentially the same now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phantasium posted:

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/12/soleil-absorbs-valhalla-game-studios

Soleil is Valhalla Game Studios, they absorbed them previously. I think they were both formed by expats of Tecmo under the same parent company, so at one point they basically merged and dissolved the name attached to Devil's Third.

Oh, so I was right. That's good to know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Phantasium posted:

I don't know if Soleil spun off from Tecmo or from VGS honestly, it was unclear from the things I looked up, but they're essentially the same now.

Soleil is the Devil's Third team minus Itagaki, basically.

I liked Devil's Third and was looking forward to an off-brand version of that style of gameplay but the more they show of Wanted, the less appealing it looks. It also doesn't helped that it's being bankrolled by some Putin lackey.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I have a soft spot for janky B tier action games thank to the PS2 era so Wanted Dead is high on my hype list.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanted: Dead fell through a time portal from the bargain bin of a disused Gamestop sometime in 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Wanted looks interesting, there is some gameplay footage and it looks more shootery than melee but maybe it was just the person playing it.

Also do you guys still consider the rebooted GoW hack n slash? The original trilogy was super simple in terms of combat but I think it mimicked well enough what made the genre special, cool mc and big bombastic boss fights. I haven't played Ragnarok but the 2018 GoW was a great game and the combat system is nice but I feel like it didn't have enough new bosses. The few that they had were good but like 90% was it a troll dude with a giant rock copy pasted over.