Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I can’t believe LDS followed up on Symbiosis of all episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Powered Descent posted:

These Are The Voyages could have been a fun little one-off episode (except for the pointless killing off of a character) if it had been anything other than the series finale.

I think I read somewhere that it was always going to be the Season 4 finale irrelevant of the cancellation, and when Enterprise was cancelled it was retooled to be a finale.

I'm just trying to remember where else I saw a sci-fi series end it's fourth season with a story set at different points in the future, showing our heroes' impact on history...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mooseontheloose posted:

so 9 of 26 as watchable to good isn't so bad. And there are others that I would consider borderline ok but there is some REAL dreck in there too.

I'd add 11001001 to that list.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

so 9 of 26 as watchable to good isn't so bad. And there are others that I would consider borderline ok but there is some REAL dreck in there too.

It probably makes more sense to watch the best third of every season than the best third of seasons, unless you're just lazy. Assuming you don't have time to watch everything of course.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It might have been here, but I did recently read somewhere the prevailing attitude in the TV world back in the 80s and 90s was the assumption that a third of a season would be excellent, a third would be ok at best, and a third would be straight garbage. Like, that was the standard they were shooting for.

I respect that honesty.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

It probably makes more sense to watch the best third of every season than the best third of seasons, unless you're just lazy. Assuming you don't have time to watch everything of course.

Maybe in that era of television as the poster said above me. I will say this, TNG Season 3 and 4 has a run of episodes that is basically unimaginable even to this day. Not a lot of losers in that hand. Off the top of my head the only truly awful/bad episodes are the one where troi loses her powers and the what measure a terrorist episode. Even the "average" episodes in those seasons are good.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

Here is what I pull out of Season 1 as watchable to good episodes:

Encounter at Farpoint (watchable and sets up certain dynamics of the show going forward)
the Last Outpost (watchable though misses the execution for the Ferengi, I enjoyed riker figuring out not to attack though)
The Battle (watchable to good, haven't seen it in awhile though)
Coming of Age (personal preference on this one, I think its good. I like the dual investigation and Wesley taking the Starfleet test)
Heart of Glory (good, fun, under siege with Klingons)
The Arsenal of Freedom (a legit good no doubt about episode)
Skin of Evil (I think this is a good to great episode, good acting all around, creepy, and picard giving a good gently caress you to Armus)
Conspiracy (good if a bit cheesy watching Riker and Picard phasering half of starfleet to death)
Neutral Zone (good, love the romulan reveal, and I kinda like the 20th century people gawking about the 24th)

Where No One Has Gone Before is watchable and one of the first decent regular episodes of the series.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Zaroff posted:

I think I read somewhere that it was always going to be the Season 4 finale irrelevant of the cancellation, and when Enterprise was cancelled it was retooled to be a finale.

So I guess the Trip is Deep Cover plot was the Season 5 plan, and not an asspull of the novels trying to clean the executives' mess?

quote:

I'm just trying to remember where else I saw a sci-fi series end it's fourth season with a story set at different points in the future, showing our heroes' impact on history...

lol

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What reference have I missed here?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

It might have been here, but I did recently read somewhere the prevailing attitude in the TV world back in the 80s and 90s was the assumption that a third of a season would be excellent, a third would be ok at best, and a third would be straight garbage.

"A third of it was great, a third of it was decent and a third of it was awful" was Harve Bennett's reaction when he watched all 79 episodes of the original series after being hired to produce Star Trek II.

LividLiquid posted:

What reference have I missed here?

Babylon 5 and its fourth season finale, The Deconstruction of Falling Stars.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Okay do I actually watch These Are The Voyages at all or just respect where everyone else intended for the show to end? Don't wanna see my boy Trip die even if it's a stupid fake episode forced on the show by hacks

Depends. If you hated Enterprise, then yes watch it because it's a beautifully spiteful "Let's burn Enterprise the gently caress down" series finale*. If you liked Enterprise, then don't because Terra Prime is a much more respectful end to things that leaves you pining away for what could have been while also leaving you with a "here's where the Federation truly begins" moment that's a worthy note to close things out on.

Your choice.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
One of my teachers had the final speech from These Are The Voyages recorded and would play it sometimes in this mixtape of random things.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

Ah. Thank you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Timby posted:

Technically, Battlestar Galactica also ended its fourth season with a jump into the future.

Silly me. Silly, silly me. :awesomelon:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

"Whispers" from DS9 was a tricky one. The twist that the protagonist was a fake all along was a good twist even if the other parts of the episode weren't as strong. This was the same week that aired "Lower Decks" from TNG and I went into this one expecting it to be more cynical about the senior crew members, painting Picard and the like in a different light, but aside from some awkwardness between Levalle and Riker, the senior members care deeply about the junior crew and they're very hurt when it's discovered that Sito Jaxa has died. Top tier Star Trek.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

a neat cape posted:

I watched all of Prodigy.

Why is this show so good

I just wish there was less call backs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

I can’t believe LDS followed up on Symbiosis of all episodes.
You really shouldn't be surprised considering how much Mike McMahon is a turbo-nerd for TNG

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Depends. If you hated Enterprise, then yes watch it because it's a beautifully spiteful "Let's burn Enterprise the gently caress down" series finale*. If you liked Enterprise, then don't because Terra Prime is a much more respectful end to things that leaves you pining away for what could have been while also leaving you with a "here's where the Federation truly begins" moment that's a worthy note to close things out on.

Your choice.

I cane to really like Enterprise in the last season, so I shall respect the ending they wanted and not watch the fail episode.

Also I'm really mad that they cancelled a show 20 years ago now, it was just starting to come into its own and become it's own thing! You should have had more faith of the heart!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
In DS9, The Search, Part 2, is there a reason that O'Brien's face seems locked up on the right hand side? During the runabout/bomb the wormhole scene, he's talking very forcefully out of the side of his mouth. He was in a fight earlier in the episode, but doesn't have any visible injuries on screen so I wasn't sure if he was just selling the fight or something happened IRL with Meaney.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He tends to do that sometimes. I wonder if he ever had Bells Palsy like Stallone or Jim Ross, but it could just be a choice he's making.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zaroff posted:

According to Berman on the Shuttlepod One podcast with Trinner and Keating, they were surprised by the cancellation and had to scramble to wrap up 3 seasons of story into one ep to end it. The whole framing device with Riker was designed to move the exposition along.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Astroman posted:

According to Berman on the Shuttlepod One podcast with Trinner and Keating, they were surprised by the cancellation and had to scramble to wrap up 3 seasons of story into one ep to end it. The whole framing device with Riker was designed to move the exposition along.
I feel like he's full of poo poo, I get that they had plans for another season but I have to think he would have known that show was on its last legs being that he was running the 'premiere' show on UPN.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Going through Season 1 and got to Symbiosis where Picard is like "This isn't our loving problem , peace out" , then every one leaves the planets.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like he's full of poo poo, I get that they had plans for another season but I have to think he would have known that show was on its last legs being that he was running the 'premiere' show on UPN.

If I remember correctly they found out they were cancelled just as they were about to start shooting Demons/Terra Prime, so it's actually plausible they did a hasty rewrite of of that episode to turn it into a series finale instead of a season one

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You know Skin of Evil is a pretty decent episode but they should have fired photon torpedos at the evil dude instead of just blowing up the shuttle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Going through Season 1 and got to Symbiosis where Picard is like "This isn't our loving problem , peace out" , then every one leaves the planets.

I like that the ross's game dungeon episode on it is now canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lQ1XIrXjls

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Finding out you're officially cancelled and reading the room on the likely cancellation are two different things. They had to know it was coming.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

The irony is that "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" came about due to a cancellation as well. JMS (the main producer/writer dude behind B5) got told he had 5 years for his mega plot, then got cut down to 4 midway through or just before season 4. So he strained and pushed everything into four seasons and did actually pull it off (he was writing like ALL the scripts), but near the end of production the network came back and said "you know what you can have that fifth season after all." So the episode that was filmed to be the series finale as the last shooting episode of season 4, "Sleeping In Light" was pushed off to season 5, and instead "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" was shot as simply as possible when it was technically produced as the first episode produced of season 5 to get put back as the end of season 4. This also resulted in a weird character moment, there were some cast changes between s4 and s5 so you have one main character disappear for all of s5 and then they're back for the ending out of nowhere.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Arivia posted:

The irony is that "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" came about due to a cancellation as well. JMS (the main producer/writer dude behind B5) got told he had 5 years for his mega plot, then got cut down to 4 midway through or just before season 4. So he strained and pushed everything into four seasons and did actually pull it off (he was writing like ALL the scripts), but near the end of production the network came back and said "you know what you can have that fifth season after all." So the episode that was filmed to be the series finale as the last shooting episode of season 4, "Sleeping In Light" was pushed off to season 5, and instead "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" was shot as simply as possible when it was technically produced as the first episode produced of season 5 to get put back as the end of season 4. This also resulted in a weird character moment, there were some cast changes between s4 and s5 so you have one main character disappear for all of s5 and then they're back for the ending out of nowhere.

A character's death in season 4 is also retconned, its just straight up ignored even though it was shown unambiguously. Not that I think its a bad thing that it was done, just a bit of an oddity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Finding out you're officially cancelled and reading the room on the likely cancellation are two different things. They had to know it was coming.
Exactly, Berman had been around Paramount for literally decades and had a ton of connections

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also UPN was in the process of dying across the board by that point, so if Enterprise had made it to Season 5, that probably would have been it's last because UPN went kaput within a year of Enterprise going off the air, and I doubt it would have been one of the lucky shows that made the jump to the CW once it took over from UPN's ashes.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

We never even got upn, voyager was on my local fox affiliate and then the all star trek was on the wb network or whatever that cw precursor was once we got that (also run by the same people as the fox affiliate - it even had the old station number after fox changed theirs). Two hours of reruns every weekday night for a decade.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nine-gear crow posted:

Depends. If you hated Enterprise, then yes watch it because it's a beautifully spiteful "Let's burn Enterprise the gently caress down" series finale*.

As much as I say "I think Enterprise deserved to get canceled", I've mellowed since then and I don't hate the series any more, but even back then when I was more angry about the series and refusing to watch it at all I loathed what I'd heard about These Are The Voyages. To me it felt like Berman and Braga getting in one last slap in the face after years of yet another wasted premise; the notion that these dipshits thought that a cheap and hackneyed tie-in to some random-rear end TNG episode was a "love letter to the fans" seemed like a final parting insult as they walked out the door. Maybe they really believed it; I used to wonder if tying Riker and Troi into the Enterprise finale represented a longing on the producers' part to go back to the glory days of TNG.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hollismason posted:

You know Skin of Evil is a pretty decent episode but they should have fired photon torpedos at the evil dude instead of just blowing up the shuttle.

When I was a kid that's what I forced myself to imagine happened, because then Armus would be destroyed and wouldn't come to ooze under my bedroom door and kill me

Armus, Chucky and Gremlins were the three lasting terrors of my early childhood

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Armus, Chucky and Gremlins were the three lasting terrors of my early childhood

But Gremlins were the good guys!!!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Mr Sock.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Justice League pulled off a pretty decent "love letter to the fans" finale when they decided to cap things off with a distant-future Batman Beyond episode (which in turn payed direct homage to the first Batman episode). But I guess that was a much more interconnected universe in general, and it wasn't quite the first time those characters had appeared in the show. (And it turned out to not actually be the end, but they thought it would be.)

bull3964 posted:

I seem to remember at the time it was considered a miracle ENT got a fourth season after very nearly getting cancelled during the third. But obviously there's a disconnect between when I heard about this sort of thing and when they did behind the scenes, so I dunno.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 13, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

As much as I say "I think Enterprise deserved to get canceled", I've mellowed since then and I don't hate the series any more, but even back then when I was more angry about the series and refusing to watch it at all I loathed what I'd heard about These Are The Voyages. To me it felt like Berman and Braga getting in one last slap in the face after years of yet another wasted premise; the notion that these dipshits thought that a cheap and hackneyed tie-in to some random-rear end TNG episode was a "love letter to the fans" seemed like a final parting insult as they walked out the door. Maybe they really believed it; I used to wonder if tying Riker and Troi into the Enterprise finale represented a longing on the producers' part to go back to the glory days of TNG.

We had this discussion in the other Trek thread about what a lying, craven little weenie who's desperate to please the worst possible people Terry Matalas is, and that whole "love letter to the fans" quote reminded me of something. He was Rick Berman and Brannon Braga's protege on Enterprise. And he's also saying that Picard Season 3 is going to be a "love letter" to fans of Star Trek :barf:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You know which Berman-era writer’s room veteran I wish stuck around? Joe Menosky. I long for the universe where it was him and maybe Alonso-Meyers teaming up to make a Trek instead of Matalas.

Instead, he was briefly on board during S1 of Discovery before he ran for the hills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

You know which Berman-era writer’s room veteran I wish stuck around? Joe Menosky. I long for the universe where it was him and maybe Alonso-Meyers teaming up to make a Trek instead of Matalas.

Instead, he was briefly on board during S1 of Discovery before he ran for the hills.

Oh yeah, Joe Menosky was like the unsung hero of 90s Trek. Dude gave Voyager some of its best episodes, the ones that weren't just "Good... for Voyager", but legitimately good episodes of Star Trek. Him as a head writer on any modern Trek show with anyone BUT Matalas, Akiva Goldsman, Michelle Paradise or Alex Kurtzman as a showrunner would have been phenomenal.