Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Paging the Deckmate creator. Any chance for a Deckmate Grip in the future that works with the official dock? It's the only reason I've not bought one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Currently trying to play, and make a control scheme that works for, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RandolphCarter posted:

Currently trying to play, and make a control scheme that works for, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

god speed.

I'm still planning on trying Ultima Underworld one of these days

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandolphCarter posted:

Wasn't that one of, if not the first, third party game to be sold on Steam? Man, talk about going all the way back.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sigher posted:

Wasn't that one of, if not the first, third party game to be sold on Steam? Man, talk about going all the way back.

All I remember is kicking orcs into spiked walls. and drat it was satisfying

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Barreft posted:

god speed.

I'm still planning on trying Ultima Underworld one of these days

Accidentally reverted all my changes just after getting it usable :smithicide: I thought the revert would just undo the last thing I changed not reset the whole drat thing

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RandolphCarter posted:

Accidentally reverted all my changes just after getting it usable :smithicide: I thought the revert would just undo the last thing I changed not reset the whole drat thing

Oh god yeah make sure you export all the time

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Barreft posted:

Oh god yeah make sure you export all the time

Lesson learned. Game runs great on the deck, btw. How’s black Mesa run on the deck? Thinking about buying it eventually.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

Lesson learned. Game runs great on the deck, btw. How’s black Mesa run on the deck? Thinking about buying it eventually.

Ooh, same question here, thats one thats been on my backlog for a while

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

i've tried to do that so many times lol
i've spent hours playing it but i've never actually played it because i couldn't make a good one

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I tried Black Mesa a few months ago and it didn’t run very well. The lighting was also hosed up. Might be better now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I tried Black Mesa a few months ago and it didn’t run very well. The lighting was also hosed up. Might be better now.

Go to protondb for a quick fix and it'll run like a dream. For me, it just involved rolling proton back a version or two.

OP, I appreciate the thread title, but really, it should be:

Steam Deck: Please check protondb first

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Dalamud has a plug-in called “Simple Tweaks” which lets you disable mouse control of the camera. Might try that?

Thanks a bunch for this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Go to protondb for a quick fix and it'll run like a dream. For me, it just involved rolling proton back a version or two.

OP, I appreciate the thread title, but really, it should be:

Steam Deck: Please check protondb first

Hoho!!!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Mescal posted:

i've tried to do that so many times lol
i've spent hours playing it but i've never actually played it because i couldn't make a good one

The real problem is the analog stick is not very good at emulating wasd. Every other action I’ve got set up and working for me, but movement is pretty janky.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Did it work? I hope so. Black Mesa is fantastic.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

re:dark messiah

RandolphCarter posted:

The real problem is the analog stick is not very good at emulating wasd. Every other action I’ve got set up and working for me, but movement is pretty janky.

for me it was the right stick. maybe it's mouse acceleration or something, but I couldn't get the aiming to work right with gamepad. I haven't been able to try it on deck tho, it wouldn't launch.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Have you tried the analog emulation mode?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Mescal posted:

re:dark messiah

for me it was the right stick. maybe it's mouse acceleration or something, but I couldn't get the aiming to work right with gamepad. I haven't been able to try it on deck tho, it wouldn't launch.

Works with proton 7.0-6 for me. The right stick issue is just something you need to fiddle with until it feels good.

homeless snail posted:

Have you tried the analog emulation mode?

I just tried that and it seems a lot smoother now, thanks for the tip.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Cross posting from the steam thread, which game do I play next? What game do I play next Steamworld Heist, Persona 4 Golden, Othercide, or HAAK?

I just finished Steam World 1 and 2 back to back and am leaning Steam World Heist

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

RC Cola posted:

Cross posting from the steam thread, which game do I play next? What game do I play next Steamworld Heist, Persona 4 Golden, Othercide, or HAAK?

I just finished Steam World 1 and 2 back to back and am leaning Steam World Heist

Persona 4 Golden is awesome. I played it first on the Vita (RIP) and played it again on Steam.

There are a variety of spoiler-free guides to getting the True Ending, so check those out if you decide to play, as doing so unlocks an extra dungeon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is there any way for steam, even locally, to record and display how much I'm playing a non-steam game?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there any way for steam, even locally, to record and display how much I'm playing a non-steam game?

There’s a Decky plugin that does just that. I forget what it’s called exactly, but it’s obvious in the list.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

MetaDeck. Decky plugin. Records time even if you leave a game in sleep mode tho, which can get annoying but it is what it is.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
My quest to turn my Steam Deck into a replacement for bringing a laptop on long work trips continue. I picked up the Steam Dock and am really happy with it. I want to put together a travel kit with the Dock and associated cords that I can carry separate from the Deck and charger. Having them separate is convenient for the long long flights I'm frequently stuck on.

I've been trying to find a good travel bag for the Dock and cords, but am overwhelmed by the options. Does anyone here have any suggestions for a brand or specific organizer? I've been searching "small electronics travel organizer", but maybe I'm looking for something else?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I keep getting an Activation Error trying to boot up RDR2. It won’t let me access the game at all. Anyway to get past it?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Metadeck. it's a Decky plugin

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Bruxism posted:

My quest to turn my Steam Deck into a replacement for bringing a laptop on long work trips continue. I picked up the Steam Dock and am really happy with it. I want to put together a travel kit with the Dock and associated cords that I can carry separate from the Deck and charger. Having them separate is convenient for the long long flights I'm frequently stuck on.

I've been trying to find a good travel bag for the Dock and cords, but am overwhelmed by the options. Does anyone here have any suggestions for a brand or specific organizer? I've been searching "small electronics travel organizer", but maybe I'm looking for something else?

I've seen ones similar to this style people like. Don't have it myself though

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Must be some old camera bags that would work well here, I'd maybe hit up some pawn shops

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I have the Waterfield Design Steam Deck Cityslicker bag for when I just want to carry the Deck and some cables, it's pricey but really well built. Don't expect it to carry much more than that though and don't bother with their strap, it sucks and I returned the strap and got a cheaper one on Amazon. But it's basically a camera bag just for he Deck. They have a newer and larger "Complete" Case for the Deck that I was thinking about picking up since it would be nice as hell to be able to pack up my whole set up in one bag.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

RandolphCarter posted:

How’s black Mesa run on the deck? Thinking about buying it eventually.

Just started it this weekend. There is some tinkering required but as suggested, Protondb will help you there.

Generally speaking I'm just not sure about Black Mesa. I'm sort of underwhelmed by the graphics and there are some awkwardly long loading transitions - both things that I'm not sure are Deck specific or not. I'm also really struggling with the aim in a way that I generally don't with other FPS controls, and something about the movement and controls just feels a little off? Again, maybe Deck specific? I dunno. For reasons that I'm not sure I can accurately describe, it just doesn't feel like a particularly great experience on Deck.

It's one of those situations where I feel kinda bad because I think Black Mesa is an objectively impressive fan project and it's been received really well. But as someone who has no issue with 90's era PC visuals (infact I think they still look great), I think I still prefer Half-Life.

I think the main draw to Black Mesa is the updated Xen area, but even then there are mixed reports about it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Just started it this weekend. There is some tinkering required but as suggested, Protondb will help you there.

Generally speaking I'm just not sure about Black Mesa. I'm sort of underwhelmed by the graphics and there are some awkwardly long loading transitions - both things that I'm not sure are Deck specific or not. I'm also really struggling with the aim in a way that I generally don't with other FPS controls, and something about the movement and controls just feels a little off? Again, maybe Deck specific? I dunno. For reasons that I'm not sure I can accurately describe, it just doesn't feel like a particularly great experience on Deck.

It's one of those situations where I feel kinda bad because I think Black Mesa is an objectively impressive fan project and it's been received really well. But as someone who has no issue with 90's era PC visuals (infact I think they still look great), I think I still prefer Half-Life.

I think the main draw to Black Mesa is the updated Xen area, but even then there are mixed reports about it.

I'm the same, I played it on PC a few years ago and it just made me want to play OG HL again.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's kinda sad that despite the gigantic amount of work that went into Black Mesa's Xen levels, they're far worse than the original Xen.

It's now like a third of the game, is ugly as sin, and kills the pacing dead.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm the same, I played it on PC a few years ago and it just made me want to play OG HL again.

I instinctively fired up HL1 to compare some of those early sections, and kept finding myself pushing on more with HL1 than Black Mesa.

I'm one of those people who still alternates between CS 1.6 and GO though, for little reason other than aesthetics, so maybe my nostalgia and love for that era has just hopelessly blinded me to visual updates.

Necrothatcher posted:

It's kinda sad that despite the gigantic amount of work that went into Black Mesa's Xen levels, they're far worse than the original Xen.

It's now like a third of the game, is ugly as sin, and kills the pacing dead.

This is my concern. If I'm not head over heels impressed with Black Mesa now, I don't know how much drive I have to push through to see a Xen that many still regard as a slog (isn't Interloper literally hours long now?)

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 13, 2023

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm waiting for someone to demake new Xen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ah, maybe it's because I haven't played HL1 recently but I'm enjoying Black Mesa just fine :shrug:

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Black Mesa was great, although it felt a little dated playing it again after the Xen update was released - which I suppose can be attributed to its long development time. Xen felt much more modern and definitely more... shiny? than the earlier levels.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It is significantly more modern in terms of time.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

For those of you with a large enough 3D printer (has to be at least 12" or 308mm) you can 3D print the backplate and customize your steam deck how you want. I uploaded the STL file

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-steam-deck-backplate-275368

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Bumhead posted:

This is my concern. If I'm not head over heels impressed with Black Mesa now, I don't know how much drive I have to push through to see a Xen that many still regard as a slog (isn't Interloper literally hours long now?)

i'm pretty sure black mesa has the chapter select unlocked by default (and if not it's probably one console command away), i'd just skip to xen if you're not feeling the rest