Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The roster for Tournament of Champions is looking crazy this year

Food Network?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Timby posted:

Food Network?

Yeah. I'm a sucker for food competition shows but especially anything Guy Fieri.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I finally am hosting a SB party for the first time and I'm stuck agonizing over whether chili, wings, veggies, chips and guac, dessert and a second mystery entree a friend is making is going to be enough food for 7. What is wrong with me lol

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Yeah. I'm a sucker for food competition shows but especially anything Guy Fieri.

I watched the marathon today in the background as I did job applications and cleaned my kitchen.

I want Shenanigans or Jet Tila to win it all.

Manoueverable posted:

I finally am hosting a SB party for the first time and I'm stuck agonizing over whether chili, wings, veggies, chips and guac, dessert and a second mystery entree a friend is making is going to be enough food for 7. What is wrong with me lol

If it's a party--while I know this is a little late--ask guests to bring their own dishes and then make one of your own.

Then, boom, you have leftovers for a week.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Timby posted:

If it's a party--while I know this is a little late--ask guests to bring their own dishes and then make one of your own.

Then, boom, you have leftovers for a week.

This is what I did, and I'm debating whether to order ahead for a pizza from a local place on top of everything else since someone is pulling up late.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Manoueverable posted:

This is what I did, and I'm debating whether to order ahead for a pizza from a local place on top of everything else since someone is pulling up late.

Definitely order ahead. Pizza joints are starving for delivery drivers and they will beg you to do carryout (edit: this is why Domino's is running their "carry out and get $3 towards your next order" promo, they can't keep drivers), and the Super Bowl is, from my recollection, the busiest pizza and buffalo wing day of the year.

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 12, 2023

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Star Trek

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Which one? I ran through Strange New Worlds a while back and was pretty taken aback by how much I liked it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

I think every kid in the PNW goes through a volcano phase

Realizing there’s an active volcano in the city limits of Portland is a pretty :aaaaa: moment.

And then I moved to Tokyo, with Mt Fuji right there as a ticking time bomb :v:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Which one? I ran through Strange New Worlds a while back and was pretty taken aback by how much I liked it

Prodigy.

It shouldn't be so good but it is.

SNW is also real good.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
My gf and I watched season 1 of White Lotus on Maui and that certainly a show that made us feel a lot of emotions. Mainly anger at all of the assholes

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I bounced incredibly hard off of White Lotus entirely because I wanted to throw a brick through my screen everytime the non-Steve Zhan husband was on my screen. No amount of Jennifer Coolidge or my lesbianic lust for Alexandra Daddario could overcome my lothing for every one else or that poo poo sniviling douche husband.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Its Rinaldo posted:

I think every kid in the PNW goes through a volcano phase

I thought about this more and drunken, angry about my failed carmel sauce brain brought up the memory of meeting a friend of paternal step-grandpa's as a kid. I was raised by my paternal grandma and step-grandpa from 9 until I graduated high school and he was a Boeing software engineer who made a lot of weird engineering friends. One of them was married to volcanologist and they had house near Orting, so right in Mt. Rainier's Lahar flow. We went to their house for some party when I was in the midst of my volcano phase so I asked her a lot of questions about her job and volcanos. I don't remember a whole lot about it but I do remember her telling me about Rainier's lahars and how deadly they were. So I asked why they bought a house where they did and if she told me "well, I want to see something spectacular before I die". It's one of the few things that's stuck me through adulthood.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

White lotus is good all the way through

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

bobjr posted:

I wonder how often SNL gets a guest the writers struggle to do anything with and how they deal with that in a week, like an athlete who isn't the best at acting.
With Michael Phelps they planned a Aquaman bit as the big cold open, got him on the set, realized he couldn't act for poo poo and had to toss the whole thing.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I am in the mood for Gundam and alas my partner has taken the external hard drive with the series I want to watch with her to where she'a house sittinf.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I bounced incredibly hard off of White Lotus entirely because I wanted to throw a brick through my screen everytime the non-Steve Zhan husband was on my screen. No amount of Jennifer Coolidge or my lesbianic lust for Alexandra Daddario could overcome my lothing for every one else or that poo poo sniviling douche husband.

First season picks up after about the third episode.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Manoueverable posted:

You have enough food. Don’t sweat it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

Holy poo poo I really enjoyed The Menu. Making fun of foodies was pretty great, and there was a bit of collar tugging with the whole Tyler character.

I need to watch it. The restaurant I was at last night is apparently where the guy who designed all the food and stuff in the movie works.

Or something like that. I guess there’s a burger in the movie and it’s the same one at the restaurant I was at

Which is funny because it’s a seafood restaurant but the burg was amazing

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Timby posted:

I watched the marathon today in the background as I did job applications and cleaned my kitchen.

I want Shenanigans or Jet Tila to win it all.

Yes please! They're both so unique and fun. I'd love it if it was Jet's year especially.

Manoueverable posted:

As a usual SB party attendee (except today* :rip:), I find that people tend to fill up on beer and apps anyway so you're on the right track.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

Get enough for a round of burgers and dogs…just in case.

If nothing else, it’ll make you feel better.

It’s what i always do when im hosting. I’ve never had to resort to that but I know I have it up my sleeve. Plus at that point everyone is theoretically drunk or high enough they’d love a burger or hotdog.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Has anyone helped their senior, single parent date before? My dad passed in 2017 so I think my mom is finally moving on, which is good because Filipino/Catholic mourning is so loving depressing I thought she'd never be happy again. Last night my mom approached me saying she needed help with her "dating profile" which was actually a Facebook group she joined (lol). I corrected her immediately. But anyway, I don't want her to be lonely the rest of her life so I want to help her. Any recommendations for websites? Off the top of my head I'm thinking match.com because I don't want her loving with phone apps. Basically I'm going to guide her through this so she has a good time but also doesn't get scammed or whatever.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

e: She is 72. Also I don't know if this actually goes anywhere but when your mom says "I'm lonely" you gotta help her out.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Since The Menu kind of pushed my own dinner back I ended up going to McDonalds for the first time in months to get a double quarter pounder meal.

McDonald's may be poo poo, but :drat: I love their burgers.

harperdc posted:

Realizing there’s an active volcano in the city limits of Portland is a pretty :aaaaa: moment.

And then I moved to Tokyo, with Mt Fuji right there as a ticking time bomb :v:

I live near Mt. Tabor & I used to bike commute over it to my last studio. It was fun to say "yeah I bike over an active volcano on the way to work." :v:

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Has anyone helped their senior, single parent date before? My dad passed in 2017 so I think my mom is finally moving on, which is good because Filipino/Catholic mourning is so loving depressing I thought she'd never be happy again. Last night my mom approached me saying she needed help with her "dating profile" which was actually a Facebook group she joined (lol). I corrected her immediately. But anyway, I don't want her to be lonely the rest of her life so I want to help her. Any recommendations for websites? Off the top of my head I'm thinking match.com because I don't want her loving with phone apps. Basically I'm going to guide her through this so she has a good time but also doesn't get scammed or whatever.

e: She is 72. Also I don't know if this actually goes anywhere but when your mom says "I'm lonely" you gotta help her out.
Eh, I don't find the mourning traditions that bad. It does make New Year's Day a bit more somber since that's when my dad passed away, but I just focus on the happy memories of my parents. :unsmith:

As for apps & considering you mentioned your mom is Filipino Catholic, maybe try Plenty of Fish? If she's on Facebook then neighborhood friend groups would be a little more general but it would at least be a way to get her to socialize with folks in her area.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Second Super Bowl in a row that I'm sick and on antibiotics. This sucks :one:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

3 DONG HORSE posted:

What are her hobbies, and are any of them conducive to joining social groups that do them? It may be good for her to get out with like-minded people who enjoy the same activities in a social setting with no pressure. That way she can meet new people and figure out what she may be looking for in a partner.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Super Bowl Sunday shakshouka*. Gonna fire up the smoker around 11 after taking a quick trip to the farmers market to get last minute provisions.

*I normally have shakshouka on the weekend so this isn't particularly special.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'ma get two pizzas for the game today, I have one for Philly all prepped, but what toppings/sauce do I want to represent KC?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fate Accomplice posted:

I'ma get two pizzas for the game today, I have one for Philly all prepped, but what toppings/sauce do I want to represent KC?

BBQ chicken

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fate Accomplice posted:

Burnt ends and barbecue sauce.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Fate Accomplice posted:

Pulled pork if you can get it I suppose but failing that, bbq chicken

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is on Netflix. I forgot how drat good Fellowship is. I should rewatch these movies more often.

Fellowship rules so much. I think it is head and shoulders above the other 2. The flight to the ford and Boromirs death are my two favorite LOTR set pieces

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna be making Drew Magary's chili for the super bowl. Went to my local butcher and got 2 pounds of 20% fat kobe beef that they grounded for me. I'm ready for this.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

:siren: :siren: :siren:
THE STARCRAFT 2 IEM KATOWIDE GRAND FINALS IS STARTING RIGHT NOW
IEM Katowice 2023 is the final tournament of the ESL Pro Tour 2022/23, also known as Masters Championship 2023.

What better way to prepare for watching the championship of the NFL later today, than by watching a championship of Starcraft 2 right now.
  • $150,000 goes to first place, along with the honor and esteem.
  • Recent patches have sprinkled up changes into this eternal esport community.
  • The greatest player in the world, South Korea's MARU, takes the stage...

Click da link:
https://twitch.tv/esl_sc2

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, but Puppy Bowl XIX is on

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Already an incredible series at IEM.

Puppy bowl is great too.

We are flooded with quality options.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Happy spiritual anniversary to the King of All Tweets

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/st...ingawful.com%2F

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, but Puppy Bowl XIX is on

today i learned it's also on hbo max, tbs and discovery channel

at this rate one day they're gonna try a manningcast

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

LeeMajors posted:

lol I completely forgot about this tweet and I don't know why

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

THE STARCRAFT 2 IEM KATOWIDE GRAND FINALS IS STARTING RIGHT NOW
IEM Katowice 2023 is the final tournament of the ESL Pro Tour 2022/23, also known as Masters Championship 2023.

What better way to prepare for watching the championship of the NFL later today, than by watching a championship of Starcraft 2 right now.
  • $150,000 goes to first place, along with the honor and esteem.
  • Recent patches have sprinkled up changes into this eternal esport community.
  • The greatest player in the world, South Korea's MARU, takes the stage...

Click da link:
https://twitch.tv/esl_sc2

Hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

LeeMajors posted:

I started listening to Blocked Party in the last year, and catching up on the back catalog is now my go-to when I don't have anything new to listen to. The Krassensteins were always kind of around in the background during the Trump years, but now I'm getting a full understanding of just how awful they were.