Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bucky Fullminster posted:

In this context at least (and probably a few others unfortunately) it seems to be short hand for "violently strict disciplinarian", as opposed to the classic political definition.

It's been used by people this way in the US at least for awhile so I can see how they would miss it, the nebulous concept of "freedom" is so worshipped here by so many that often "fascism" = "a person in charge said something that I don't like" and not the political platform or way of governing.

But I didn't get a "both sides are bad" vibe from these two episodes at all. The revolutionary side wasn't even close to as bad as FEDRA. They fell under the leadership of someone whom, at first we see as well, not GOOD, but I get why someone who was just instrumental in overthrowing FEDRA there and lost as many people as she did and so on would be at that point. But her own personal focus on revenge ended up wrecking everything and her second in command was too weak to do anything about it. Like I feel like if they hadn't seen the crater within the city limits and there was just one issue to deal with, I have a feeling Jeffrey Pierce's conversation with her in her old bedroom would have gone in an extremely different direction. It seemed like it was kind of leaning that way too.

And as far as the the enemy of fascism having to be both too strong and too weak goes - you see that in her dogged pursuit of Henry. After they find the hideout they know he's out of food and also out of allies (the doc is dead and FEDRA is gone), but somehow this guy warrants whatever power THE ENTIRE CITY can pull together.

Like all of Kansas City fell because two people were weak not because both sides were bad. Like she got the position because she worked her way into inheriting it, and her second in command is a follower.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

But I didn't get a "both sides are bad" vibe from these two episodes at all. The revolutionary side wasn't even close to as bad as FEDRA.

Maybe not yet. But the fact that they started staging ambushes only 10 days after the liberation isn't a good sign for where they were headed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Having the one sniper in that house in the suburbs is the most competent thing that they did, assuming that he wasn’t posted there specifically to look for Henry and Sam.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

While I like how much they do practical effects, one of the downsides is that even when acting as clicker or runner as possible, they all just look like guys in suits. Like you could overpower them 1v1 with a fire axe or something.

You can't really express how loving dangerous a clicker is, because in-game they have a loving insta kill grab attack that activates at close range. You'd think you've stunned them, but no they suddenly activate their hyperarmor and Joel is grabbed and killed. The constant deaths and reloads tells you they're scary, not just that they're just some guy in a suit.

But in the game you absolutely can beat them 1v1 with a fireaxe?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

How many QZs are there in the game/show in 2023?

Boston
KC
Atlanta
Seattle
Baltimore(destroyed)

Not totally sure, but I think Seattle should be gone already. But for details it’s probably best to ask in the other thread.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

It's still blowing my mind that the clicker in the car was a real gymnast, because the inhuman way it moved was standout horrifying. I think maybe the opposite is why the bloater seemed lame to many people, it still moved like a man rather than fungus-operated meat.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

It's still blowing my mind that the clicker in the car was a real gymnast, because the inhuman way it moved was standout horrifying. I think maybe the opposite is why the bloater seemed lame to many people, it still moved like a man rather than fungus-operated meat.
Bluto's arrival did detract from some otherwise horrifying imagery, for sure. And yeah, it both moved and acted like a man. And I think the behavior was the worse of the two problems. Tearing the lieutenants's head off came off like a "no, gently caress you" moment, and was entirely too relatable on a human level. The car clicker, on the other hand, seemed truly alien in an effective way.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bugblatter posted:

Not totally sure, but I think Seattle should be gone already. But for details it’s probably best to ask in the other thread.

"Hey, maybe we should try and understand and reason with the mushroom zombies. I'm sure they have decent morels." :dadjoke:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Let’s say Kathleen didn’t throw everything at Henry. What would they do about the bubbling basement? You saw how many infected poured out of that hole, if they started to open up the basement then that’s where the faucet would be, and I don’t think they’d fair any better then.

I don’t think KC was doomed by Kathleen, it was doomed by 15 years of infected going unchecked under their feet.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Remy Marathe posted:

I also like the details of the child being a clicker which means the poor kid has been infected for awhile now and your mind fills in the rest.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Platystemon posted:

Having the one sniper in that house in the suburbs is the most competent thing that they did, assuming that he wasn’t posted there specifically to look for Henry and Sam.

I assumed he was there just to look for them. I’m not sure why else he would’ve been there.

The bloater was a little distracting, a little too video gamey for me. It is interesting how some people seem to just turn into fungus, and others turn into monsters. Wonder if they ever explain why that happens.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Was that Michonne’s actress in the preview for the next episdoe? I dislike anything TWD related touching this show

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Red Rox posted:

I really enjoyed this ep and the series so far, but yeah there were a few annoying cliches. Maybe it’s just impossible to avoid them?

I think at least twice now there’s been a big fight scene and then the protagonists are safe once they get 50m away. It happened after Tess died too.

It's poor cinematography. Not that the show features it, just the particular scene could have been either trimmed down just a bit or had some other reason that they didn't run at all given multiple chances.

There was a noticeable delay between Joel telling them to run after taking out the sniper and them not moving at all, letting all the KC group catch up. Could have easily been solved just by having them drive up faster with less tracking shots of the vehicles. If you still wanted to stretch out the run time just simply have actors come in from multiple angles. Could even do a boom shot for it and be fine.

Tension building could have been solved by having the horde rumble out in the background similar to the zombie grandma shot from episode 1. Just have the truck slowly dip out of focus while Cathleen is monologuing to Henry. Instead the camera focuses on it, all the actors turn towards the truck, and the viewer is like ok good there's like a full loving minute here that the guy who is desperately trying to get his kid out of the city isn't booking it?

It changed Henry's character from a desperate father to an idiot.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Was that Michonne’s actress in the preview for the next episdoe? I dislike anything TWD related touching this show

no. what a weird thing to worry about

e: removed a dumb weird jab, apologies Koirhor

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 12, 2023

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Good news, Henry is not Sam’s father.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

The bloater was a little distracting, a little too video gamey for me. It is interesting how some people seem to just turn into fungus, and others turn into monsters. Wonder if they ever explain why that happens.

I haven't played the games, so the post about clicker status implying age made me finally look up the basic fungus mechanics and it actually made a lot of what we've seen so far make more sense. I'm not worried about game spoilers so much as potential show spoilers, the "Biology" section on the wiki below was a safe-ish read spoiler wise for me, though I skipped away every time I saw reference to the word "rat":
https://thelastofus.fandom.com/wiki/Infected

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Remy Marathe posted:

I haven't played the games, so the post about clicker status implying age made me finally look up the basic fungus mechanics and it actually made a lot of what we've seen so far make more sense. I'm not worried about game spoilers so much as potential show spoilers, the "Biology" section on the wiki below was a safe-ish read spoiler wise for me, though I skipped away every time I saw reference to the word "rat":
https://thelastofus.fandom.com/wiki/Infected

Can we not?

quote:

This is going to be the non-spoiler thread for people who just want to discuss the show as it airs without bringing in the context of the game.

I get that you, personally, may not be worried about hearing about game info but that's sorta the entire premise of the thread. If people can't resist looking up information from the games about the zombies, or about how many quarantine zones are around and which ones are still active, etc, and then posting about it, I would really appreciate it if posters would go do that in the other thread. Or keep it to yourself. Anywhere but the one thread that's specifically made to not have these things.

I understand that maybe some people differentiate between "plot events" and "game lore", and don't classify the latter as a spoiler. But I still would rather learn about the world at the pace that the show chooses to reveal it. Take the clickers. Part of the reason they were so creepy and scary when they first showed up in this show is because we didn't really know much about them, how they would act, what their abilities were, etc, other than a brief mention of rumors of zombies who could see in the dark like bats. If I knew everything about them from the start because I read a fandom wiki article about them, it would have removed some of the suspense for me.

Or like, the bloaters. People have mentioned they are enemies in the game, which leads me to imagine there may be some way to kill them. They may have some weakness. But right now, I don't know what that is. I bet there will be another scene where someone finally has to figure out how to kill one. If that happens, then as someone who doesn't know how they die, that will be compelling to watch for me, since I can put myself in the same position of the characters in the show, who also don't know how to kill them. Knowing it beforehand would take away from that.

I can also imagine some people would object and say, "but the show is taking a lot of liberties, so it's fine to post details from the game, since it won't necessarily be the same anyway!" But, if it's not going to be the same anyway, then what relevance does it even have?

I know this is a long post but I'm really enjoying the show, and enjoying the thread as well, and I would really appreciate it if people would post a little less, or not at all, about bringing in the context of the game. That is explicitly what I came here for.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

XboxPants posted:

That is explicitly what I came here for.

It’s the point of the thread but they seemingly can’t help themselves

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
My hot take is that the episodes would’ve been better without Kathleen, not necessarily cause of her performance, but it’s just a weird diversion. Not every villain needs a sympathetic backstory. Also, this is a close-enough-to-prestige TV show that not every episode needs a villain. In the games, sure it was a little thin to be hunted by bandits, but it didn’t need explanation because that’s the genre + the story is about Joel & Ellie. I think the world has done a good job establishing that everyone in it is a human trying to survive. That’s the only justification you would’ve needed for CHAZ City, they’re being hunted because they’re an outgroup and they killed 3 members of the ingroup. Anything other than Kathleen’s anime villain monologue in her childhood bedroom

My hope is that the show chills out on trying to explain and de-mystify everything, and just let the characters breathe in the world. That’s what Episode 3 did and nothing since has reached that

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Kathleen just being a random brutal soccer mom who came to power after a government downfall would have been pretty great

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

FalconImpala posted:

My hot take is that the episodes would’ve been better without Kathleen, not necessarily cause of her performance, but it’s just a weird diversion. Not every villain needs a sympathetic backstory. Also, this is a close-enough-to-prestige TV show that not every episode needs a villain. In the games, sure it was a little thin to be hunted by bandits, but it didn’t need explanation because that’s the genre + the story is about Joel & Ellie. I think the world has done a good job establishing that everyone in it is a human trying to survive. That’s the only justification you would’ve needed for CHAZ City, they’re being hunted because they’re an outgroup and they killed 3 members of the ingroup. Anything other than Kathleen’s anime villain monologue in her childhood bedroom

My hope is that the show chills out on trying to explain and de-mystify everything, and just let the characters breathe in the world. That’s what Episode 3 did and nothing since has reached that

I largely agree that Kathleen's character wasn't perfect, but I did enjoy the scene between her and longhairguy in her childhood bedroom. That conflict between "actually sticking to the ideals you have that cause you to oppose oppression in the first place" and "effectively getting poo poo done, like, with violence" is a very real dilemma and something I really related to.

Also yeah, agreed that the bloater wasn't shot that well. I think it was maybe what someone else posted, he acted too much like a regular human in a costume. Like Rita Repulsa summoned a rock monster to help out the putty zombie patrol.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Can we not?
If there's anything in my post you want spoilered please let me know, I tried to write it in a way that provided none of them except for those who were interested in the fungus mechanics and you know, clicked on the thing. I heard the word "bloater" here first, there was not an uproar.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I guess maybe I was unclear on the point of this thread, since I haven't played the games but enjoy reading the context of what was changed and what wasn't—I just don't want to risk reading anything about events that happen in the game that we haven't yet seen depicted in the show. For me personally, it does seem strange to get upset about people talking about the game at all, though. It's an adaptation, bringing up the original work is a natural point of comparison and discussion.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
The bloater reminded me of something else - maybe the guys from Nightmare Before Christmas?

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

Doltos posted:

Kathleen just being a random brutal soccer mom who came to power after a government downfall would have been pretty great

Yea I can see an alternate version of this episode where she's the beloved group mom to everyone inside the wall & has a policy of robbing and killing every outsider

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Red Rox posted:

The bloater reminded me of something else - maybe the guys from Nightmare Before Christmas?

Haha, he does have a little bit of Oogie Boogie look to him.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

FalconImpala posted:

Yea I can see an alternate version of this episode where she's the beloved group mom to everyone inside the wall & has a policy of robbing and killing every outsider

Kathleen as the brutal dictator of the Duluth QZ. "Oh ya, kids die all the time, dontcha know!"

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

Kathleen as the brutal dictator of the Duluth QZ. "Oh ya, kids die all the time, dontcha know!"

couldn't help but see this as OZ, and Melanie Lynskey channeling Simon Adebisi for the role of Kathleen would have been perfect

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Koirhor posted:

No. The actress is from True Blood.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

FalconImpala posted:

After thinking it over, this is where I am on the Kathleen scenes as well. Though I haven't played the games.

I think the story would have actually been more interesting and even sympathetic if we just heard it from Joel's perspective. This guy says he's on the run because he's a collaborator, and then explains he got the rebel leader's brother killed to save his own brother. We would know exactly why they're being hunted so hard and everything we need to to understand the emotional dynamics of the situation. Actually seeing Kathleen sadistically kill dozens and dozens of people because she's just so god drat crazy actually makes the situation harder to understand on an emotional level because she's just a bloodthirsty monster at that point, well beyond what we'd imagine an understandably vengeful tyrant to be. Her villain monologue in her childhood home fell entirely flat because I don't care about her anymore.

I guess it emphasizes the crime of our collaborator buddy (I'm terrible with names and have forgotten his already), 'cause we can see just how absolutely terrible things have become in the absence of Kathleen's brother. But that's a small thing to justify how much screen time she got.

I think they could have gone further if they wanted to actually explore a character like her. Show us what she did that made her effective, show us why people follow her, show us the social dynamics that lead people to react to a horrific abusive situation by creating a horrific situation of their own. But we don't get that because it's not, and shouldn't be, her story. So instead we get very vaguely told most of those things and shown that her one and only character trait and leadership decision is to kill collaborators with a monomaniacal obsession. And I can see why they did that. It seems like it's trying to up the stakes for our sympathetic collaborator, which is who this story is actually about. But it leaves Kathleen as a pointless caricature who gets too much screen time for her role and not enough screen time to be interesting.

The episode was fantastic and the ending was incredibly affecting. I cried. Kathleen did not ruin the episode or anything, or even bring it down all that much. I just think it's interesting to think about how little she ultimately added to the story. Just cut her and all the good parts actually work better, in my opinion.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think you can cut Kathleen. You need the context from her existence to make Henry work.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
kathleen also directly ties into the themes of the show. her brother was probably charismatic and had a plan or at the very least a goal. quality notwithstanding at the least it's something you can build on. she gave them permission to unleash their hate, which can come with immediate results that might even feel great but ultimately collapse, heh.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arist posted:

I don't think you can cut Kathleen. You need the context from her existence to make Henry work.
But Henry gives you all the context you need- "My collaboration got their leader's brother killed". Their obsession makes perfect sense with just that. Perhaps more sense than the self destructive obsession we end up seeing.

boo boo bear posted:

kathleen also directly ties into the themes of the show. her brother was probably charismatic and had a plan or at the very least a goal. quality notwithstanding at the least it's something you can build on. she gave them permission to unleash their hate, which can come with immediate results that might even feel great but ultimately collapse, heh.
I mean, I can see a bit of that actually, yeah. I think it's a kind of underdeveloped idea though. They should have had more of that if they were going to have her at all. My issue is that the vast majority of her screen time was not about how Kansas City society was developing under her influence, but very specifically about how much she wants to kill collaborators, with the only mention of other issues she might have to deal with being met with "nope, we're just going to kill collaborators instead".

It 'worked' in the context of making Henry's plight more harrowing, but I think it would be harrowing enough from just implying all that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm saying that you need to see Kathleen or that has no impact.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm kind of wondering something about the whole KC situation. How does one "drive underground" a non-sentient and relentlessly aggressive fungus? Doesn't being smart enough to hide huge numbers of zombies underground imply a level of intelligence in fungus zombies that sort of defies the zombie label?

zelah posted:

Let’s say Kathleen didn’t throw everything at Henry. What would they do about the bubbling basement? You saw how many infected poured out of that hole, if they started to open up the basement then that’s where the faucet would be, and I don’t think they’d fair any better then.

I don’t think KC was doomed by Kathleen, it was doomed by 15 years of infected going unchecked under their feet.

They could have built defenses around it. They could have collapsed the building into the bubbling basement, crushing most things down there and creating a thick barrier against coming above ground right there.

If they wanted to get fancy they could do both. Ring the bubbling basement with fire traps so that when the zombies come out they have to run into and through a burning fire. Then you ring the hallways all around with mines. Hopefully they've got anti-fungal mines of some sort after 20 years, but since bullets were killing them, a simple claymore mine would slaughter them in huge numbers in an enclosed space like a hallway. Outside, you clear firing lines and build walls fronted with barbed wire (more to tangle the zombies than hurt them) and other fortified firing spots. If, somehow, the fungus zombies start getting too close to your soldiers despite all that, you could still have rigged the building to collapse back into the basement, killing even more zombies while cutting off the flow, allowing the soldiers to clean up those who've already left the building relatively safely.

That's just off the top of my head, mind you. I haven't spent the last twenty years locked in a war with zombies so I'm a lot worse at this than any of them should be.

Ignoring the immediate problem in favor of pursuing her vengeance was definitely a bad call. Even leaving aside how bad getting effectively ambushed in the open, as happened at the end of the episode, went for them.

Eiba posted:

But Henry gives you all the context you need- "My collaboration got their leader's brother killed". Their obsession makes perfect sense with just that. Perhaps more sense than the self destructive obsession we end up seeing.

:yeah:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I guess maybe I was unclear on the point of this thread, since I haven't played the games but enjoy reading the context of what was changed and what wasn't—I just don't want to risk reading anything about events that happen in the game that we haven't yet seen depicted in the show. For me personally, it does seem strange to get upset about people talking about the game at all, though. It's an adaptation, bringing up the original work is a natural point of comparison and discussion.

Even that is kind of an issue, because in late March a PC port of the first game is coming out, and a lot of people will be playing that story. This feels right for just reading the text of the show as is and presented, and there is a whole other thread for game spoiler stuff too which would be a better place for comparisons. Let the show be what it is on it's own, and not take mystery out of the game, either. I'm sure a LOT of people will be playing it because of this show.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

FalconImpala posted:

It feels in some ways like an exploration of different "situations", different kinds of survivor groups for Joel and Ellie to encounter. They have a traditional QZ/FEDRA situation, they have a quiet isolationist couple, and they have a citizen rebellion. Having it led by a suburban soccer mum / Katie Porter I think is cool and funny and the series was better for it. Presumably we'll get to see some larger rural compounds or something.

Also opening on the shots of the crowds chanting "freedom" gave an eerie insight into what we may have been looking at had our pandemic played out over a slightly longer time frame. We had people literally baying for the blood of politicians after being asked to wear a mask and get vaccinated and stay inside if they can. It does not bode well.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Those dummies had only just won over Fedra what, ten days ago?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

LLSix posted:

They could have built defenses around it. They could have collapsed the building into the bubbling basement, crushing most things down there and creating a thick barrier against coming above ground right there.

Lol so they somehow manage to perform a controlled demolition of this building and then…hope it doesn’t weaken the ground in other areas? Hope they don’t pop up somewhere else after throwing probably all their resources into defending a single spot? The city was screwed. Either tomorrow or in a month or a year, but they were on borrowed time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

zelah posted:

I mean there's a huge difference between a planned defense vs essentially an ambush. If they were focusing on the infected they could've lured them into a killzone and had bombs and traps ready. This was them completely taken off guard