Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was curious so I desaturated it and look, almost universal improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

I can’t even tell individually what many of these are, much less tell them apart without a close look

???

they have played us for absolute fools

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

google needs to put whoever drew the turtle emoji in charge of all their design.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

???

dotslash?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

remember this?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yeah that poo poo sucked so bad

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sagebrush posted:

google needs to put whoever drew the turtle emoji in charge of all their design.

every icon could be the turtle with a speech bubble with text saying what it is, and it would be an improvement

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

I was curious so I desaturated it and look, almost universal improvement

i still dont know what any of these icons are

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

me neither, but when the icons are desaturated you can at least make out their outlines. that helps a lot with differentiation.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
lets put all of these into a hamburger menu without text labels too

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

???

that's a bespoke app for slash dot dot org

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Management posted:

I can’t even tell individually what many of these are, much less tell them apart without a close look

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Wild EEPROM posted:

lets put all of these into a hamburger menu without text labels too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol god that made me irrationally angry but y'all nailed it

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
don’t forget to skip updating the documentation and also leave the old unavailable version in said documentation

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i hate, hate, hate google's icon set

looking for something specific? good loving luck!

Looks like poo poo op

Apr 7, 2003

I did my PIxel 7 experiment late last year and the big thing that chased me off

was ads on google maps

I scroll past a body shop and get "AD: BODY SHOP NEAR YOU IN PITTSBURGH"

The Google Maps experience on iOS is completely different than the experience on Android

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I did my PIxel 7 experiment late last year and the big thing that chased me off

was ads on google maps

I scroll past a body shop and get "AD: BODY SHOP NEAR YOU IN PITTSBURGH"

The Google Maps experience on iOS is completely different than the experience on Android

Google wanted to do this in the iOS maps app when they were providing the data for it. instead Apple chose to pay about $2 billion per year maintaining its own maps specifically to avoid that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Management posted:

Google wanted to do this in the iOS maps app when they were providing the data for it. instead Apple chose to pay about $2 billion per year maintaining its own maps specifically to avoid that.

worth it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Management posted:

and now, what, google doesn't want people switching over to apple maps so it's not putting annoying poo poo in its own ios app?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

and now, what, google doesn't want people switching over to apple maps so it's not putting annoying poo poo in its own ios app?

right. they can’t be worse than iOS maps, but if there is no competition they can be as lovely as they want.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
apple maps is great because of sharing my real-time ETA and position along a particular route, without having to enable saving my full location history, which is required for the equivalent functionality in google maps

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I got shamed by my aunt for not having iPhone because the call quality was so bad, so we switched to voice call on kakaotalk and it was much better.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
you can use facetime on android via icloud.com now

not that you'd really want to i guess, but its possible

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Beeftweeter posted:

How? I only see the usual suspects in the waffle menu.

Edit: do you mean that thing where someone with an iPhone can generate a link and send it to other people?

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 22, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

I'd rather just finish migrating to iphone sometime this decade when I find a free moment

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

~Coxy posted:

How? I only see the usual suspects in the waffle menu.

Edit: do you mean that thing where someone with an iPhone can generate a link and send it to other people?

yeah, i don't think there's a way to initiate it from the android side

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

i hate, hate, hate google's icon set

looking for something specific? good loving luck!

how high up the google org chart do you think you'd have to go to find the guys who think those icons are cool and good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one person above the designer who made them, presumably.

maybe that designer themselves. idk. the googlers i know, despite the popular image, are not actually all that good at what they do

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I interviewed at the goog and did well on 4/5 of the interview loops; the one I did bad on was someone asking me about a bunch of web stuff and doing a generally bad job of interviewing me. I'm not a web dev and was applying for a android job. They've asked me to try again a bunch of times but eh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

one person above the designer who made them, presumably.

maybe that designer themselves. idk. the googlers i know, despite the popular image, are not actually all that good at what they do

wait, who believes people at google are good at what they do?

were they kept in stasis since 2006 and awoken yesterday?

Apr 7, 2003

anroid

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PokeJoe posted:

I interviewed at the goog and did well on 4/5 of the interview loops; the one I did bad on was someone asking me about a bunch of web stuff and doing a generally bad job of interviewing me. I'm not a web dev and was applying for a android job. They've asked me to try again a bunch of times but eh

tell your recruiter that this specific interviewer was interviewing you for the wrong thing, where you had no experience.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

googlers do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well, sure, but there's probably some bias there

besides, that's like 200k people at most

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

were they kept in stasis since 2006 and awoken yesterday?

people that don't actually work in tech that have no idea what google does think its a bunch of superior brain geniuses because that was their public image for decades. kinda like elon musk

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

well, sure, but there's probably some bias there

besides, that's like 200k people at most

they are literally told that they are geniuses at new employee orientation.

google is basically a university. so if you go to MIT you are de-facto a genius because you were admitted to MIT. it’s exactly the same mentality.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ironically (given the premise of the thread) i suspect the android team is one of the more competent google has. e.g. had they been tasked with the chat product without outside interference they would at minimum be on a decade of consistent compatible mediocrity, which is *vastly* better than broader google has managed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The great majority of people worldwide.

Most people don't keep up with tech industry gossip or hold the exasperated anti-tech stance that yosposters do. They hear the surface level PR propaganda, the pop culture portrayal of Google nerds as basically all Sheldon from the big bang theory, and believe it. Until the last few months, most people believed that Elon Musk was an eccentric genius philanthropist, and even now a ton of people still do.

Most people are the tech equivalent of country bumpkins gawking at the big city, asking their nephew in Los Angeles if he ever has dinner with Tom Hanks. They don't have any idea what would make a tech company good or bad at what it does. They just know that it's complicated computer stuff that they don't understand, but somehow the company makes billions doing it, so everyone working there must be a genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ironically (given the premise of the thread) i suspect the android team is one of the more competent google has. e.g. had they been tasked with the chat product without outside interference they would at minimum be on a decade of consistent compatible mediocrity, which is *vastly* better than broader google has managed.

what happened with fuchsia? i'm assuming google saw how great having 3-4 incompatible chat apps was and wanted to do the same thing with OSes but i guess writing an OS is a trivial problem for googlers so they made a 5th chat app instead