Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The whole "looking at your phone" = shallow bullshit, really annoys me.
When I'm waiting around, I read books on my phone because my kindle's battery died.
Anyone could be looking at virtually anything on their phone, it's not all loving facebook you terrible old bore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

People need to understand that I'm doing very important things, like making this here post.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I hate that poo poo that everything on a phone HAS to be social media. There's other things on there. eBooks are one thing.

Now we can all agree that people who use their phone, with volume max, without headphones are assholes.

AITA for wanting to tell my husband we can't continue supporting my adult SD so much?

quote:

I know I'm going to sound like an evil stepmother here, but we just got into an argument over just how much my husband/we have to support my 22, 23 next month, year old stepdaughter. For reference, my husband is 43, and I am 36. We've been married for 8 years, and have two children of our own, 5 and 2.

When my stepdaughter was 10, her mother relocated to Vermont. We live in South Carolina. It ended up being a huge custody battle between my husband and his ex. Lots of parental alienation from SD's mother (which she confirms) and my husband was only "allowed" by her mother to visit SD once a month, and he paid $900 a month in child support. When SD turns 18, he we had our first, so he lowered that amount to $400 a month. We also paid off my old car, to upgrade to a minivan, and gave it to SD free of charge because she was going off to an out of state university. Her mother would not cosign on her student loans, so my husband did to make sure her tuition would be paid. SD also receives $1500 a month in veteran benefits for being a full time student since my husband is a 100% total and permanent disabled combat war veteran. SD also works a part-time job making $17 an hour (which I know isn't a whole lot in this economy). SD is no contact with her mother, by her own admission.

Recently, I started a new job myself. Making more than I ever have in the past. In the past, it was split 30/70, then 40/60 and now we are pretty much making the same salary so it should theoretically be 50/50. Suddenly, husband is unable to pay his share of the bills because SD is always needing money. Her student checking is linked to my husband's account, and he saw that she was easily spending $100+ a day on DoorDash and other delivery services because she "didn't want to drive the car that much". Last month, she needed $500 for new tires and an oil change. Husband gave her that, on top of the $400 he already sends her. This month, husband came to me and said he wouldn't be able to make his half of the mortgage for March, or pay his share of the utilities because SD needed $1000 for her scuba diving equipment that's a requirement for a summer class she has to take to graduate (her major is in marine biology). Husband has told SD to slow down on the ordering out, spending her money unwisely, etc, but she never listens because she knows my husband will bail her out.

Husband found out that SD recently got a $7k grant for the spring semester...and gave five grand of that away to a friend so her friend could buy a car. Now SD is worried about paying for graduation tickets, her cap and gown, etc. Husband is now asking me to cover those costs for her and I said no, I can't do it. Husband blew up on me, calling me uncaring about SD, and that I'm being selfish because he "doesn't want her to struggle"

I'm at the point where I'm ready to tell him we just can't continue supporting her so much, or at least cutting back. WIBTA if I told him that?

AITA for not buying my ex husband’s affair child a present?

quote:

A little over 10 years ago, my (then) husband had an affair that resulted in Isabella (9). We got a divorce and I made it clear that I wanted nothing to do with Isabella.

Isabella’s mom was not a citizen and was deported when Isabella was 2. Then last year my ex passed from a heart attack.

I have 2 kids (30f and 34m). My son didn’t want anything to do with Isabella and my daughter, SIL, and grandkids (3f, 5m) were living out of the country so Isabella went into foster care. My daughter and her family moved back to our country a few months ago and as soon as they bought a house and were settled, they took Isabella in. My son and I both told her that we didn’t want anything to do with Isabella, that we do not consider her family, and that she will not be included in family events. As a result of this, my daughter didn’t visit or even call or thanksgiving, Christmas, or my birthday.

Last weekend, my SIL went on a guy’s weekend and my daughter asked about staying with me for the weekend with the kids. I told her that I don’t want Isabella in my house but she made it clear that either she brings Isabella or she doesn’t visit with the kids at all so I gave in.

I always give my grandkids a present when they visit, usually a toy and an outfit. When my daughter got to my house, I gave my grandkids their presents and my daughter some cash as a housewarming gift but I didn’t get anything for Isabella. My daughter immediately gave Isabella all of the money I gave her ($500) and told her to say thank you to “grandma”. I stepped in and told my daughter that I’m not Isabella’s grandma and never will be and that money wasn’t for her.

She gave me all of their presents and told the kids to go to the bathroom because they were leaving. My daughter ended up spending the weekend with the kids at a hotel and hasn’t spoken to me except to curse me out and say I’m not going to see her or her kids for a very long time.

I told her beforehand that Isabella is not my family so I don’t know why she kept trying to push her onto me and expected me to treat her like family. My son agrees with me but my daughter is keeping my grandkids from me because of this so I wanted to know if I was TA.

The poor kid. The ex is a pure POS. I wonder just how/why the mom got deported though.

On the other hand, I can see why the OP doesn't want her around. One of the only good things my dad did when he was cheating on my mom, was to make sure he got a vasectomy before he really started going for the gold.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 12, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know how motorcycles work

You do, it's exactly like this:

quote:

Other folks with motorbikes in the area would just kinda turn them on, maybe let them warm up for 20-30 seconds while they adjust their helmet and gear, then ride off.

i have two pretty old, carbureted ones and at the very worst (in close to freezing weather) i gotta let them idle for a minute before i can push in the choke enough to get the revs down close enough to idle to kick it into gear without making one hell of a CLUNK!
In summer, it's start and go. Same goes for more modern fuel injected bikes.

Prolonged idling is not great for the bike. You want it to heat up ASAP without stressing the engine too much with high revs. Conversely, if the weather's warm and the bike air cooled, it can overheat. The guy's just stupid. Probably learned to ride from a boomer with a big 1960s V8 that takes forever to get up to temperature, or some kind of coal rolling diesel bro.

Anyway
gently caress people who honk in the morning. Nothing is more frustrating than being in bed and being woken up just before your alarm goes, or on a day off or whatever.
Just call the person you're picking up, or have them wait outside/in front of the window/whatever.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 12, 2023

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

LimaBiker posted:

You do, it's exactly like this:

i have two pretty old, carbureted ones and at the very worst (in close to freezing weather) i gotta let them idle for a minute before i can push in the choke enough to get the revs down close enough to idle to kick it into gear without making one hell of a CLUNK!

My ZZRs and ZX6s were always loud on start up because you needed a lot of choke unless it was summer, but once they were running, they weren't any louder than any other bike.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The neighbor at my previous house and his son would often leave their motorcycles idling in the driveway, right next to my girlfriend's bedroom window, for thirty minutes at a time, often after midnight.

Anyway he died of COVID after refusing to get vaccinated.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The neighbor at my previous house and his son would often leave their motorcycles idling in the driveway, right next to my girlfriend's bedroom window, for thirty minutes at a time, often after midnight.

Anyway he died of COVID after refusing to get vaccinated.

Too bad it wasn't more like this:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/757914951868485632?lang=en

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITA for stepping down as bridesmaid?

quote:

Thanks for reading. I'm a long time lurker.

I'm a 36 female and was a bridesmaid to my good friend's wedding, Anna 46. I was initially very honoured, until I went to the first bridesmaid's meeting at her house on Thursday.

I realised Anna, hadn't chosen 8 of us, to be her bridesmaids because of our friendships with her, but because of our skills. Example one of her bridesmaids is a Hairdresser, so she will be doing all the hairstyles of the bridesmaids, Anna, Anna's sisters (whom are not bridesmaids) and her mother.

I come from a big family so am used to cooking for large amounts of people, so I was expected to cook for 80 guests. I also make sculptures and jewellery out of wire silver clay, so was expected to make Anna's crown and necklaces, bracelets for Anna, the bridesmaids, sisters and mother. I was also expected make 20 wire sculptures for each table. (She wasn't offering any money for the ingredients and materials).

Anna then said, that each bridesmaid needs to make an £800 donation. One of the bridesmaids (a Make up Artist) said she is not going to pay, to work for free and Anna said that a bridesmaid is meant to support the bride. Other bridesmaids spoke up, so Anna started shouting and at one point her husband to be, Mark stepped in. Two of the bridesmaids stormed off in the garden to smoke, but because one of them moved so fast their toddler seemed a little confused, so he ran in circles and then put his hand on my knee. I then scooped him up in my arms and placed him on my lap. Anna then shouted "why are you moving when I'm talking, you stupid r... whore." I was very upset as she was dragging up my past and I don't know the other bridesmaids, they all went to University with Anna, I didn't. I wanted to leave but I had the little boy on my lap. Everyone was staring at me, whilst Anna kept talking and I desperately tried to hold back tears.

I haven't told my loved ones about this because I'm just so upset and don't want to upset them, but Anna sent an email today with her bank details for the £800 and an attachment of the contract, detailing my duties. I emailed back saying that I can't fulfill my duties as a bridesmaid, so will be stepping down.

AITA?

AITA for telling my fiancee her decision to get a tattoo was dumb.

quote:

I have tattoos. My fiancee, Valeria, has tattoos. Neither of us is a tattoo virgin. I do not control her or tell her what to do with her body.

We just got back from three weeks in the Philippines. Valeria isn't talking to me.

She decided that she really wanted a traditional Filipino tattoo. I believe it is called Batok. Her grandmother is from the Philippines and it was something she wanted to.yet on here honor.

None of this was an issue.

What was am issue was that she decided to get it on our fourth day there.

If you don't know anything about tattoos just think of fresh tattoos as an open wound.

So for the rest of our time there she didn't go in the water. She could shower but that was about it.

So nothing in the ocean. Except for sailing She couldn't snorkel, scuba, parasail, jet ski. Nothing.

And she got mad at me if I went.

Before she even got it I said that she should wait and have it done on our way home.

Nope not good enough. It had to be from this one artist who had time for her that day.

I told her it was a dumb decision. I tried pulling up pictures of infected tattoos to show her it was a bad idea. She ignored me.

After she got the tattoo the grandson of the artist.told her the rules. Including don't go in the drat ocean. Which I had already told her.

She said that it was something she always wanted and that we might not have had an opportunity to see that artist again.

I would have made the effort to get her back there before we left.

Now she is pissed that she spent all this money and time on her vacation and basically had to sit by the pool and drink for most of it. "Like her mom and dad would do".

I don't see how her decision is my fault.

But she is still.upset with me.

To finish off. I did not say she was dumb. I said she made a dumb decision. I didn't rub it in afterwards. All my efforts went into convincing her to wait beforehand.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 12, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know how motorcycles work but I also had a neighbour who worked early shifts somewhere and every morning around 6am he would roll his motorocycle out of his garage and start it up and let it idle for a solid 10 min. Then he'd come back to it and gently rev it, let it idle, gentle rev it, let it idle. Over and over for a 20-30 min ritual. Finally when the stars aligned he'd blast out of his driveway and down the street. But I never understood the extremely long "warm up" phase or why he had to do it. Other folks with motorbikes in the area would just kinda turn them on, maybe let them warm up for 20-30 seconds while they adjust their helmet and gear, then ride off.

It wasn't even a harley or whatever those awful types of bikes dentists who didn't get enough attention from dad ride. It was an otherwise quiet (for a motorobike) little japanese thing. It was the revving and idling ritual that made it awful.

This wasn't in Portland was it? I used to have the same guy outside my apartment but it stopped a few years ago.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
All the horn chat reminded me of this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXow3d3-b0

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AITA for stepping down as bridesmaid?

AITA for telling my fiancee her decision to get a tattoo was dumb.

Long time lurker huh? That why you’re posting obvious NTA crap?

Lol at the tattoo story. The relationship will probably survive but it will always be OP’s fault the trip was ruined.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

To put some context in here: there is one traditional tattooer (mambatok) left in all the Philippines. She's very old and has apprentices, but they don't work alone. If you want a tattoo from her, you have to work with her schedule. https://www.phillife.co/mambabatok-whang-od/ This is not like "I couldn't wait to get Daffy Duck on my rear end". This is "this traditional tattooer could die any day, and if so that's the end of it."

Now. Being whiny about the new husband doing all the water stuff without her? That's completely wrong. If the tattoo is that important that it cannot possibly be delayed, then own the consequences.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

e: sorry for double post
AITA for not walking a school acquaintance to her car at night.

quote:

I 21(M) have an acquaintance 21(F) who I go to school with, we have a couple of courses together and are doing group work for some of them and are also in a student club together so we see each other often on campus. We know each other for about a year now.

We were working late together on campus on a robot for our student club and when it was time to go home around midnight she asked me to walk her to her car which was parked a 7 minute walk away.

I was not comfortable and refused, because I get uncomfortable on those streets at night as there are people who seem to be on drugs who just shout things and talk to themselves. I've never had anyone attack me but it makes me uncomfortable. Additionally she is a young woman and I'm not her boyfriend, I don't know if she has one but if she did, he would probably not approve of it and if could get mad at me. I have had boyfriends of girls I know do this before.

The next day she told me she was a little disappointed as she had volunteered to walk with me between two campus buildings and back late at night on a different occarion when I had to fetch something from the other building. She also said that I could have dropped her to the parking and taken a different route to my dorm from there and not have to pass through the sketchy street alone, which is true or I could have taken her offer to drive me home.

AITA here? I feel like her volunteering to walk with me is not the same as it was not as bad of a route and I never asked her to do so even if I did take up her offer. And while it's true I could have avoided them after dropping her, I'd still be a little uncomfortable if I encountered weirdos while with her. I don't want this to turn into a big issue as we work well together and I'm hoping to keep doing group projects with her in other classes.

EDIT: I'd like to mention that I did tell her the next day that I understood and would help next time, when she told me about it. But I'm just wondering if I was wrong for that day when she asked.
"I was too scared to be on that street but REALLY the problem is that her imaginary boyfriend might be upset."
AITA for not getting up from a massage chair when someone wanted to use it?

quote:

I am currently 8 months pregnant, and because of that, I often get quite tired when I stand or walk for long periods of time. Yesterday afternoon, I was craving ice cream, so I drove to a nearby shopping center to visit my favorite ice cream shop. Unfortunately, the place was quite crowded, and all of the tables surrounding the shop, as well as some nearby sofas were taken. Because of that, after getting my ice cream, I decided to sit on one of two massage chairs that were close, and eat it there.

Once I started eating the snack, I got approached by a couple that was in their late teens, or perhaps early twenties. They asked me to get off the chair, since I wasn't getting a massage, and they wanted to receive such a service together, which I refused to do. In return, I offered to leave once I finished eating, or if they found me a different place to sit, since I could not stand for more than a few minutes at a time, and had a relatively large dessert that I wanted to finish.

Upon hearing that, the girl was not happy. She told me to stop acting as if I was ill, that just because I was pregnant, the world did not revolve around me, and because I was not paying for a massage, I had no right to sit on the chair. She then asked her partner to get a security guard, and a few moments later, he came with such an employee.

The guard took my side, and asked the couple to either take turns using the second massage chair, or wait for me to finish eating, which upset the girl quite a bit. She accused me of being selfish and preventing the owner of the chairs from earning money, and left with her partner.

Upon telling this story to my younger sister, she told me that I should have went to the ice cream stand when the shopping center was less crowded, if I wasn't able to eat while standing, however, my older sister believes that I had every right to sit on the massage chair if all the other spots were taken, and the couple was being unreasonable. Because of that, I'm not sure if I am the rear end in a top hat in this situation.

Edit: This really blew up, and now that I think about this situation, I can see that I am, indeed, in the wrong. Next time a similar situation happens, I will order the ice cream in an edible bowl, and eat it in my car, instead of taking up sitting spots that are owned by other businesses.

We're gonna need a term for "self-centered pregnant person" that doesn't contain "zilla". People should be nice to pregnant people. I, too, have been a pregnant lady. But "nice to" does not extend to "give them everything they want because PREGNANT".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Pregnarcissist?

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit
with (and of) child

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Pookah posted:

When I'm waiting around, I read books on my phone because my kindle's battery died.
Anyone could be looking at virtually anything on their phone, it's not all loving facebook you terrible old bore.

truly, a modern problem

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Mx. posted:

My (19f) boyfriend (20m) goes “goblin mode” every time his sports team loses

Ma’am, are you sure you are not living with a dog with anxiety issues?

Woozie66 posted:

I'm so glad, because it was such a stupid non problem. "Oh, I can't go on a date with you, I made plans to be the best uncle of all time to my nephew" is SUCH a flex.

Right? Even adding in the explanation, that he was having so much fun with her that he momentarily forgot he had plans to make his nephew’s dreams come true the following day, only works in his favor. As long as she’s not a selfish monster. I think even my selfish monster ex-roommate would have accepted that excuse within the first day of her drama-filled relationships-when she would pretend to not be awful.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 12, 2023

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

AceClown posted:

truly, a modern problem

Yeah, my dad could use a newspaper to ignore us all day.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My dad would only read his newspaper flat on the floor, leaning over, and he'd get so mad when the cat would sit down on it. Stop putting it on the floor then.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

HopperUK posted:

My dad would only read his newspaper flat on the floor, leaning over, and he'd get so mad when the cat would sit down on it. Stop putting it on the floor then.

Where else did he expect the cat to sit?!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Like picking it up would stop a cat from sitting on it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

HopperUK posted:

My dad that and I used to crawl under him to cuddle and read along.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Lol, I used to read the comics like that and my cat would do it too. I couldn't even get mad, who could resist the chance to sit on a small area of a different surface while also being at the exact focal point of someone's attending?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pookah posted:

The people offended by you looking at your phone would still be offended by you reading a book, the phone just gives them a more socially acceptable target to gripe about not being able to monopolize strangers' attention via proximity.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

After reading metafilter's bafflingly strong anti-phone thread Im all in on humiliating anyone who trys to phone shame

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Bruceski posted:

This wasn't in Portland was it? I used to have the same guy outside my apartment but it stopped a few years ago.

This video reminds me of soundboard ventrilo trolling videos. Those were awesome.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA for giving my SAHM wife a written performance review with suggested areas needing improvement?

quote:

I (33m) share one child (6f) with my wife (36f). She has another daughter (13f) that lives with us full time, we also have custody of our niece (15f). The teens are each other’s best friends, they share a large bedroom which was done at their request. The dynamic here is pretty much mom and youngest against the teens, with me being the referee between everyone.

My wife has taught the youngest, she can blame others for her actions to avoid consequences. She just says the word, one of the teens will get punished without question. There’s no doubt, she is my wife’s favorite. I love her, but she’s becoming nothing more than an entitled brat. As just a mere example, my wife and I had an appointment we both needed to attend. When we came back, it was apparent the pool had been used. They’re not allowed to swim while we aren’t home.

As the youngest divulged, “Mommy I was in my room coloring, I never went swimming.” The teens said that was not true, she had gone swimming as well. Only the teens were punished, my wife refused to give the youngest any type of consequence. I later found her wet swimming suit hidden in the garage. My wife and I argued, I felt strongly she needed to not only be punished for swimming, but also for lying. After a relentless disagreement, I was silenced as she gave the youngest a very minimal consequence.

The lying, blaming and favoritism ultimately caused the teens to act out, understandably. Most of their consequences are done by giving more chores, specifically the chores the 6 year old has. Or as recent, they were removed from music lessons as a consequence. I believe they’re so frustrated they don’t even care when they verbally attack their mother after her unfair treatment towards them. After all, they already get blamed and punished for things they don’t even do, from my perspective lashing out gives them a release.

We’ve have had countless, tiring arguments. She’d either not see her faults, or we’d agree to do this and that, but it was never actually done. I decided to write her a performance review, as a SAHM. Her areas in need of improvement, well it was a lot. But I touched on how she needs to listen better, stop being biased. Be fair in all her decisions, stop making rash decisions without taking all three kids into consideration. I recommended her to give each child the same amount of one-on-one alone time to speak, or just be with one another.

So it wouldn’t be an entirely slap to her face, I gave her accolades on her strong points for other areas aside from parenting. I guess I felt this would work best, because I could organize my thoughts on paper without her interjecting. However, it quickly backfired in my face. She was quiet the first hour after I handed it to her. Then she completely exploded on me, said if we’re going to do this type poo poo she’ll get a private bank account and take half my paycheck every week. She further said the review was abusive, and a manipulative sexist move. AITA?
(Mods, I don't think this is abuse; if you do, please delete and I apologize.)

AITA for making my 12-year old stepdaughter pay rent?

quote:

I (39m) live in a 3-bedroom house with my wife (41f) our son (6m) and her 12-year old daughter Lydia from a previous marriage, who I consider my daughter. Currently, the children share a room and the 3rd bedroom is my office (I work from home). Lydia understandably does not want to share a room with her 6-year old brother anymore, and she has asked if we could turn my office into her room. I told her that if I am going to be giving up my office, I’ll want some compensation. I thought it would be a good life lesson on the real world if I charged her rent, 5 dollars a month. Lydia protested, saying that she is not old enough to get a job, but I know she has a lot of birthday money and tooth fairy money she’s never spent, and 5 dollars a month will not be hard for her to scrape together. Am I the a-hole?

Edit: My wife is O.K with this because we would not be keeping the money, we would be putting this in a savings account for her, we just want her to know that you need to sacrifice something to have nice things. Also, to the people who were asking, we don’t have a basement or a mud room I could turn into an office. The only other rooms we have are a bathroom, a dining room, living room, and kitchen. In the end, we have decided that Lydia should start helping around the house (loading the dishwasher and taking out the trash) if she is going to get a new room. I saw somebody ask about if her bio dad is in her life, and sadly he doesn’t want anything to do with her.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for giving my SAHM wife a written performance review with suggested areas needing improvement?

So what kind of engineer is OP?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Sorry honey, gonna have to put you on a PIP."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for not stopping my child’s bus driver from honking at pick up and drop off?

I think a lot of the people commenting on the honking are missing the important part. It's not a honking issue, it's "mum being loving useless and being chronically goddamned unprepared for what is a daily routine." Get your kid's poo poo packed and be at the designated spot at the allotted time, you loving idiot.

I'd bet real money that mum here is constantly late for loving everything, and has been all her life.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Pookah posted:

I have never been more confused and annoyed by someone telling me to get off my phone and look around than I was, back in the height of the Pokemon Go craze, when some random guy pretty much stopped me as I was walking and told me to actually look at the scenery.

I was trying to spot where a Pokemon was on the AR (which I stopped trying to use, shortly after, because it just didn't work well on my phone at the time).

Cowslips Warren posted:

I hate that poo poo that everything on a phone HAS to be social media. There's other things on there. eBooks are one thing.

Now we can all agree that people who use their phone, with volume max, without headphones are assholes.

AITA for wanting to tell my husband we can't continue supporting my adult SD so much?

If the stepdaughter is giving away large chunks of her grant money to friends for purposes that aren't grant-related, dad isn't going to be able to protect her from the consequences when she gets audited.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for making my 12-year old stepdaughter pay rent?

Mommy Dearest in the first one is gearing up for an estrangement as soon as the teens are old enough to flee.

And so is the step-dad in the second one. "Sometimes you have to sacrifice for nice things! By which I mean you, specifically, have to sacrifice in order to have your very reasonable needs met, and you will not get any mercy if you cannot provide a sacrifice of sufficient value." That kid is going to remember that mom and step-dad were perfectly willing to force her to give up birthday money and tooth fairy money in order to get the unspeakable luxury of not having to share a room with a sibling half her age and the opposite gender, at a time when she needs personal space and privacy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We're gonna need a term for "self-centered pregnant person" that doesn't contain "zilla". People should be nice to pregnant people. I, too, have been a pregnant lady. But "nice to" does not extend to "give them everything they want because PREGNANT".

Keeping with the Kaiju theme I suggest Momthra

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Funny how often those “teach kids about the real world” lessons are basically just stealing from your children.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Funny how often those “teach kids about the real world” lessons are basically just stealing from your children.

:capitalism:

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

feedmegin posted:

One ex and her family always called me by my middle name because her sister was dating someone with my first name already. It worked out.

My dad named his youngest son after himself, and then my sister proceeded to get married to a man with the same name. They had a son and named him after the dad. It's the stupidest thing because there are also only two iterations of the name that work, and both dads use one version and both sons use the other and it makes family conversation very confusing

Also my surname is pronounced like the alternative term for a rooster, and I have an uncle Dick and Harry

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Huggybear posted:

Also my surname is pronounced like the alternative term for a rooster, and I have an uncle Dick and Harry

:haw:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for letting my nephew eat Reese's Pieces?

My philosophy is that he is old enough to self advocate,
My nephew also misrepresented how severe his allergy was

Back to back sentences.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

canyoneer posted:

Keeping with the Kaiju theme I suggest Momthra

Mothra is a heroic character. Not to say that Godzilla hasn't had his face moments, of course.

We could go with Momular or Preggon-Seijin if we take an Ultra route.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

kimbo305 posted:

Back to back sentences.

Isn't there a story on these very forums about someone knowing a kid with a nut allergy in school that screamed "I HAVE TO KNOW" one lunch period, crammed a Reeses into his mouth with one hand and jabbed himself with the epi-pen with the other?
Sometimes kids' curiosity exceeds their common sense, is what I'm getting at.
(OP still hosed up hard, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Momthra is the friend of (her) children.

My late, beloved, mother in law used the same nickname and last name as I did. This was humorous, and solutions were suggested, until we realized that in practice my late, also beloved, father in law was the only person who first-named both of us. He solved the problem by saying "my Arsenic" when a sentence might have been ambiguous.

They were good people. I miss them, but they were each sick and ready to go.