Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Can you give me a lowdown on this shady poo poo because I’ve heard this multiple places and all I seem to see is “they’re Russian” and something about data stealing, which could be real but also could be a TikTok-esque overreaction to a thing being made in a place we’re supposed to be at odds with

I wouldn’t even be surprised necessarily but I would like someone to actually break it down so I know what’s going on rather than relying on “a lot of shady poo poo” with no elaboration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7QEo3LmVE
This is a good and comprehensive rundown of the whole development of the game. 20 minutes. Gives you background on key figures within the company, their stances on the invasion, where it is getting its funding and generally a lot of the dog-whistles being baked in to the previews of the game in Russia itself. Can come to your own conclusions. Like I said, had I not seen this video or read stuff on twitter about the development of the game or your information being given to the Russian government, the gameplay in the preview video looked extremely bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I do not expect 'soviet bioshock' to be an ideologically coherent premise in any way whatsoever considering Bioshock could barely keep the wheels on...but Atomic Heart's art direction looks fuckin incredible. At the very least I want to play it to see and shoot cool dancing robos with an AK, if there's anything more interesting in there that would be cool, too, but with such a troubled production I'm not exactly expecting Disco Elysium here.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I use a soundbar and some wireless speakers... I've gone crazy trying to figure out if there's an audio delay or not lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Most rhythm games I've played have some sort of calibration mode in them but they can be difficult to judge

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I use a soundbar and some wireless speakers... I've gone crazy trying to figure out if there's an audio delay or not lol.

My wireless sub gave out and it was the final insult. Soundbars are just e-waste

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i don't want to bother with a whole hifi setup in an apartment because those are such a pain to move so i have powered bookshelf speakers. they are epic

Even the shittiest bargain basement powered speakers will beat the piss out of tv speakers

It’s at the point where it’s almost as upsetting to deal with as being somewhere that they haven’t turned off the goddamn motion smoothing

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i don't want to bother with a whole hifi setup in an apartment because those are such a pain to move so i have powered bookshelf speakers. they are epic

Yeah I’m tempted to go that direction. Powered bookshelf speakers are awesome. It’s just tough for me since attaching them to a tv isn’t realistic and I use my tv on a mounted arm at different angles throughout the day.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I ditched my old soundbar when I got my current TV because the TV speakers sounded better. I consume most stuff through headphones anyway and I don't give a poo poo if Guy's Grocery Games isn't in audiophile quality or whatever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Even the shittiest bargain basement powered speakers will beat the piss out of tv speakers

It’s at the point where it’s almost as upsetting to deal with as being somewhere that they haven’t turned off the goddamn motion smoothing

im actually tempted to try the motion smoothing mode that's intended specifically for 30 fps-locked games that this TV has, benefit of it running at 120hz

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Where I live I have neighbors and thin walls so it's headphones for me :(

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Jimbot posted:

This is a good and comprehensive rundown of the whole development of the game. 20 minutes. Gives you background on key figures within the company, their stances on the invasion, where it is getting its funding and generally a lot of the dog-whistles being baked in to the previews of the game in Russia itself. Can come to your own conclusions. Like I said, had I not seen this video or read stuff on twitter about the development of the game or your information being given to the Russian government, the gameplay in the preview video looked extremely bad.

This video was really well done, thanks for sharing it. I think it’s kind of funny that the company has done backflips to make it seem like they’re a “global company” and desperately avoiding looking Russian (even before the war started but especially since then) when I just assumed from the drop that it was a Russian game. Also love the “we make games we don’t do politics” thing, some of the trailer moments reminded me of the first hours of Bioshock Infinite (the only good part of that game) and this reminds me of some of the less good things surrounding that game.

I’m curious to see if the whole game will end up as USSR-revisionist as it looks like it might be. I know that Putin and his regime have been using some of that to appeal to people in a nationalist sense, this could definitely fit in with that depending on how the story goes. Somehow I doubt it’s going to end up being some big anti-authoritarian statement.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im actually tempted to try the motion smoothing mode that's intended specifically for 30 fps-locked games that this TV has, benefit of it running at 120hz

:thunk: Motion-smoothed Bloodborne....

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hector Delgado posted:

Been there, most of the PS4 gen. It's a life. And hey, piss5 3D audio is pretty loving incredible if you have a pair of headphones you like.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

:thunk: Motion-smoothed Bloodborne....

let them cook

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Been there, most of the PS4 gen. It's a life. And hey, piss5 3D audio is pretty loving incredible if you have a pair of headphones you like.

I do, thankfully. Got the InZone H7 on sale for like $149 a month ago and they're amazing. 3D audio in Dead Space is very cool.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Also Grimbeard looks at the latest System Shock demo (pc) that recently released and drat it looks good. Especially like how the colors are looking, the blue hallways just look so drat appealing. Glad this is coming to consoles.

Some early game spoilers but most likely things that you probably knew already.

https://youtu.be/qGYB9OnqYiY

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m curious to see if the whole game will end up as USSR-revisionist as it looks like it might be. I know that Putin and his regime have been using some of that to appeal to people in a nationalist sense, this could definitely fit in with that depending on how the story goes.

Hard to say, it's schizo to me. There's a reason why Putin has an easy time using historical references to the USSR even though there's a world of difference between them, because people remember that material conditions in life were better under the Soviet Union than what they ended up with after the wholesale privatization of everything in grabbing range after the capitalist overthrow. If anything, the art style's mixed palette of Soviet iconography with fun-house utopia killing machines resembles more the market liberalization period when the former Soviet countries were flooded with a cornucopia of flashy consumer goods while basic living necessities were essentially foreclosed upon. Impossible to tell if the game itself will have anything on its mind historically besides the flashy extremity of Communist Robos, but I guess we'll find out soon. Gameplaywise it looks like most eurojank does, but I enjoy Stalker and Metro well enough.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Finally got a chance to try the Theatrhythm demo and this is soooooooooo my thing. Square Enix can sell me nostalgia products like this for the rest of my life.

What an amazing job SE has done breathing life into old characters/games. Thanks to FFRK and DFFOO I was excited to see characters like Minwu and Leon from FF2 in the demo. Popped huge for Ultimecia! :3:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Hector Delgado posted:

Same except I bought big chonky loudspeakers to drown them out instead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
quiet hours after 10pm means i can be as loud as i want before then

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Only major problem I have with Theatrhythm at the moment, is that it appears as if Jack Garland isn't in it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unfortunately, Chaos is in it, and he has a restraining order against Jack

Makes the ending reeeeeeal weird, I'll tell you what

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Guillermus posted:

A man who never eats pork buns is NEVER a whole man!

:hmmyes:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ive become a person who is extremely judgmental when I see someone using a very nice TV and the lovely rear end TV speakers

This was me for a long time but now I use some form of headphones for almost everything on my TV

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jimbot posted:

This dev definitely has some history of shadiness, but most of the video is just complaining about a for profit game company trying to make money on an investment. It’s of course problematic as some big funding has apparently come from Russian nationalists, but the game company was started by Russians in like 2016. Yes things have changed since then but I don’t think they can be condemned for being Russian.

As far as we know they had no choice but to continue with the games development less they end up in the gulag to their creditors. In any case I’m not buying it cause I’m p. Sure this one is on gamepass :smug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the controversy around atomic heart has the same deranged haughtiness as the people saying cyberpunk 2077 was tainted by the hands of the naturally bigoted polish. too many degrees of association

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Only major problem I have with Theatrhythm at the moment, is that it appears as if Jack Garland isn't in it.

his theme is in it, but I guess Jack Garland character is unknown

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1620814614392102914

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jimbot posted:

I wouldn't pick up Atomic Heart. There's a ton of shady poo poo going on with the developer.

On top of that the only thing going for it is its art direction. There are gameplay videos and all of it looks really bad. Bullet sponge enemies, terrible feedback and everything you do looks really weak. But that's all moot because of all the shady poo poo.

I can just play it on Gamepass fortunately

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I wonder what the discourse would have been like if an Iraqi had made a video asking people to not buy the latest call of duty.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
How much stuff from 7 remake and 13 is in the theatrhythm demo?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I will continue to observe my 20-year boycott of Call of Duty, because I don't care for those games, but also imagine it's because I am a very principled and ethical person.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I bought the space COD for tenbux my 20 year boycott is fail :negative:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mr Hootington posted:

I wonder what the discourse would have been like if an Iraqi had made a video asking people to not buy the latest call of duty.

I doubt it would have gotten nearly as much traction. Not saying trans people are some radically powerful bloc, but they're probably better represented in the field of people who write about games. Also, Call of Duty being racist, jingoistic propaganda is an incredibly cold take at this point, whereas a lot of people didn't want to accept that the wizard TERF game was tainted in that way.

I'd probably prefer that lack of discourse at this point, honestly. Play the wizard game, fine, whatever, but don't ask people to validate that decision for you. I'm not going to tell you you're a good person for buying an indulgence by donating money to charity to offset a video game you're guilty about playing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

nobody is talking about the wizard game

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

imhotep posted:

Nothing from 7r, 5-ish songs from 13. O.G. 7 is the one that’s in the demo, and I think has five songs as well. Full game is about a dozen or so from each.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

imhotep posted:

There's nothing from the 7 remake in the demo, but XIII has 5 songs in it, and it's mostly the most prolific battle tracks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

nobody is talking about the wizard game

yeah, here, lucky us

e: lol I forgot we were talking about Atomic Heart and not HL, my bad

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 12, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh gently caress, I looked up the XIV tracks and they put the Brute Justice theme in there, hell yes

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Arist posted:

oh gently caress, I looked up the XIV tracks and they put the Brute Justice theme in there, hell yes

They could release a hundred tracks from XIV and not run out of awesome ones. Under the Weight Theatrhythm will rule. :hellyeah:

Oh my god. Good King Moggle Mog is in! Oblivion (Shiva’s theme) too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arist posted:

yeah, here, lucky us

couldn't be bothered to read 1000+ posts this morning but it does seem like the zogchortz thread is going well lol