Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

I get hives any time troubleshooting steps involved signing out of, and back into my AppleID on an iDevice or Mac.

That poo poo never reactivates properly for me, rarely if ever actually solves the problem, and if it does solve the problem eventually it first causes a nightmare of authentication/sign-in issues that are way more annoying than whatever it was I was trying to fix.

Almost guaranteed that if I sign out of my Apple ID I will be spending the next three hours entering my password into random prompts for no reason because some sundry aspect of iCloud isn't working until I re-authenticate, or now my Mac needs to re-merge its status with the cloud and breaks something in a stupendous manner. My favourite is entering my password, seeing the spinner, then the screen just goes back to "you need to re-authenticate" or whatever the message was, as if I'd done nothing at all.

And I'll be dismissing annoying "new device has been added" popups on like half a dozen iDevices and Macs for the next three weeks as things catch up.

Just wait til you change your Apple ID password when you have multiple HomePods. Prepare to be asked for your password every 4 hours for like a month on all of them. It’s absolutely loving infuriating and is the one reason why I won’t ever change my password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just wait til you… have multiple HomePods.

This is going to be a really long wait

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I put this in the iPhone thread too, sorry if it belongs here more:

Hi all, apologies but I read the FAQ and this seems a bit more than basic, and the searches I’ve done haven’t yielded any useful fix. I am having an issue receiving a FaceTime call from one specific contact only since upgrading to the 14 Pro Max a couple of days ago. I’ve had other FaceTime calls come through fine, but this one person (12 Pro Max updated IOS) will try to reach me and I don’t even get a ring or alert on my end. We’ve both tried rebooting our phones and have tried with other people and it works fine, the disconnect is with us.

If it matters, this person is the only one in my phone with custom ringtone settings and is also set to bypass all my Do Not Disturb and is my emergency contact.

Does anyone have any ideas?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sba posted:

Hi all, apologies but I read the FAQ and this seems a bit more than basic, and the searches I’ve done haven’t yielded any useful fix. I am having an issue receiving a FaceTime call from one specific contact only since upgrading to the 14 Pro Max a couple of days ago. I’ve had other FaceTime calls come through fine, but this one person (12 Pro Max updated IOS) will try to reach me and I don’t even get a ring or alert on my end. We’ve both tried rebooting our phones and have tried with other people and it works fine, the disconnect is with us.

If it matters, this person is the only one in my phone with custom ringtone settings and is also set to bypass all my Do Not Disturb and is my emergency contact.

What happened to your old iPhone. Was it signed out of iCloud, removed from find my and otherwise wiped?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I would go to the FaceTime section of the Settings app and see what’s checked off under “You can be reached by FaceTime at”. Maybe this one person is trying to FaceTime your email address instead of your phone number (probably without even realizing it) because of the way they have your contact card set up or something.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What's the best option at this point for using an iPad as a second screen on a PC?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

What's the best option at this point for using an iPad as a second screen on a PC?

I’ve always used Duet for that. Works just fine.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

sba posted:

This happened with my wife a few months ago, but it was phone calls and texts, not FaceTime. It was ultimately fixed when we both updated to iOS 16.1.

It’s a nuclear option but try completely deleting the person’s contact info from your phone and then creating a new contact. Same on your phone. From ancient forum threads I read at the time it’s apparently an obscure iOS bug.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

I’ve always used Duet for that. Works just fine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Is there a goon approved car expenses tracker app? I'm currently using simply auto but it hasn't received any updates in a while, with the website/social not posting since the last update.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Is there a goon approved car expenses tracker app? I'm currently using simply auto but it hasn't received any updates in a while, with the website/social not posting since the last update.

I use Fuelly to track mileage and services. It bugs you to pay most of the time you open it, which is probably the only thing I don't like about it, but it works just fine on the free plan.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SlowBloke posted:

I have used Road Trip for ages, I thought it was by a goon too perhaps not idk. I use it for just tracking my mileage. I always forget to put my service stuff in, dammit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

priznat posted:

I have used Road Trip for ages, I thought it was by a goon too perhaps not idk. I use it for just tracking my mileage. I always forget to put my service stuff in, dammit.

Yeah same

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

priznat posted:

Hmm if the app you refer to is https://apps.apple.com/us/app/road-trip-mpg/id298398207 I'm seeing that the last update was just two months after simply auto. I'll add it to my notes if simply auto croaks at the next major iOS update.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SlowBloke posted:

Hmm if the app you refer to is https://apps.apple.com/us/app/road-trip-mpg/id298398207 I'm seeing that the last update was just two months after simply auto. I'll add it to my notes if simply auto croaks at the next major iOS update.

yah that's the one. It just works, I dunno what new features would require an update though.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Road Trip is good. I used it for tracking my non-EV and my current EV for mileage and expenses. It’s worth the buy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just wait til you change your Apple ID password when you have multiple HomePods. Prepare to be asked for your password every 4 hours for like a month on all of them. It’s absolutely loving infuriating and is the one reason why I won’t ever change my password.

You just gave me PTSD flashbacks. It was the most frustrating thing.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

SlowBloke posted:

Not an app but the car fax website is actually pretty good at this

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Buff Hardback posted:

Not an app but the car fax website is actually pretty good at this

Carfax expenses service is not available in Europe, only the US. Seems nice from the photos.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I sometimes do a bit of audio editing for podcasts via Audacity on my PC. I've got a bit of work coming up, but I'm going to be on the road lots - can anyone recommend good (and ideally cheap/free) audio editing software that I can get for my iPad Pro?

This upcoming job is scripted, so there'll be lots of fine editing - stitching together successful takes, dropping in pick-ups (re-takes of individual words or lines), cutting out umms/ahs.

I really just need something that I can use to chop up one or two vocal tracks, although bonus points if I can do any noise removal so we don't lose takes to passing police sirens or people's cats or whatever. Can do post-production once I'm back at the PC so I don't need anything too fancy in terms of EQ/compression/etc. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cubasis might be overkill for what you're asking, but it will definitely do the job. Garage Band does okay at audio tracks, but I'm not sure it's the most comfortable for editing clips down.

The upside to using a daw is you can hunt for auv3 plugins to do any processing you might need (such as the noise removal).

I'm sure there's something specifically geared towards what you need but I can only recommend what I know. :angel:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

Cubasis might be overkill for what you're asking, but it will definitely do the job. Garage Band does okay at audio tracks, but I'm not sure it's the most comfortable for editing clips down.

The upside to using a daw is you can hunt for auv3 plugins to do any processing you might need (such as the noise removal).

I'm sure there's something specifically geared towards what you need but I can only recommend what I know. :angel:

Thank you. Honestly a good DAW for the iPad is something I've been after for a while (no ableton on iPad, which is my go-to on PC :( ), so it's tempting. A little expensive for this job though, and not something I'd be able to expense to the client.

Really the most labour intensive part of the job is the editing, so so long as I can see waveforms and easily slice/drag bits and pieces around, that'd be great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well garage band is free for everyone so I'd at least give it a spin and see if it'll work for you.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've never used it but I knew a guy who swore by Ferrite for editing his podcasts.

https://www.wooji-juice.com/products/ferrite/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Best app to Remote Desktop from either an iPhone or iPad to control a Windows PC?

Preferably free, or single purchase.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Remote Desktop, believe it or not.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Best app to Remote Desktop from either an iPhone or iPad to control a Windows PC?

Jump Desktop is a per-device license and free for Windows. My preferred option.

Microsoft Remote Desktop (aka RDP) is also excellent if you can be on the same network as the host PC, otherwise don’t expose its port to the network or anything. Easy enough to setup WireGuard or tailscale and use that.

VNC viewer is free but I don’t know what their cloud thing is like. Shouldn’t be necessary with a similar vpn setup as RDP.

TeamViewer is free for “personal” use and one of the best options.

Completely left field option: Steam link. You can setup a touchscreen control shortcut to win+d and just use your computer normally through the steam link.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I used to use Chrome Remote Desktop to access a windows desktop and chromebook and it worked fine on both iPhone and iPad. Haven’t used it much since I got rid of the windows machine a while back.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Real VNC’s free VNC Connect has served me well for many years now.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

If the endpoint is a windows 10/11 pro machine use the official Microsoft one, otherwise use VNC or team viewer if you need to control the computer outside the house(if you are in the same network use streamlink or moonlight).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I also use Jump desktop with windows, iPhone, and my macs. It’s great and worth the money to me.

TeamViewer can bite me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Ok I didn’t know windows had a built in Thing so I’ll try that first

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i also have found steam link to be a surprisingly simple and capable remote desktop solution

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IIRC you will also have to enable incoming RDC connections on the Windows machine

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

IIRC you will also have to enable incoming RDC connections on the Windows machine

I think it’s a pro feature, isn’t it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve had amazing luck with Splashtop. I think it’s like $10 a year but it just works every time for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

I think it’s a pro feature, isn’t it?

Oh drat. I’m on 10 home. I’ll still check it out though when I get some time.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Did anyone ever release an app that does LiveNotifications for NHL games? I would have figured Apple would support this natively by now, but alas…

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did anyone ever release an app that does LiveNotifications for NHL games? I would have figured Apple would support this natively by now, but alas…

I really want a dynamic island widget for this so I can follow my team easier when I can’t watch the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
iOS weather just seems so comically bad, wow. Today is the third time in the last month and a half it’s predicted little to no rain around noon, only to have a downpour hours later