Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SardonicTyrant posted:

Ever notice you only see the godskins in places that have abandoned the gods? The windmill village ladies have gotten into pagan dances slash ritual murder, there's a godskin in the serpent shrine in mt gelmir, and there's one in the caelid divine tower, which sorta makes sense cause the redmane knights are trying to kill their demigod (albiet for noble reasons) only thing I dont get are the duo in farum azula

From the wiki:

The godskins serve the gloam eyed queen. She, at some point, had the death rune and the godskins are all about destined death and godslaying. Maliketh took it through honorable combat. Anywhere godslaying or destined death show up they do. One guarding the deathy curse mark in Luinaria Tower too. The duo's probably there to take the rune back. Caelid one's guarding the very sword the gloam eye queen wielded. Gelmir one is probably making friends with snakes because gently caress the golden order. Same with the windmill one.

Dunno if the rune originally belonged to the gloam eyed queen or if she got it after Marika chipped it off the Elden Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Epic High Five posted:

Must've felt like you had just walked out of a 100x gravity training capsule. Already knew all the patterns only now you can get hit and not get a 10 second stun

i dont know anything about that but it felt like I was constipated for a full season and then finally released it all in a pure beam of energized poo poo that somehow saved the world maybe

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think I've been playing too much.

Tonight I dreamt I was playing Elden Ring in a level that was a claustrophobic city covered in canals and beneath every canal was another layer of city with different enemies, mostly hand monsters but clawed and with an entire arm as a tail. With the boss being in a wooden fort on top behind a fog gate locked with the "Phopal Gal" medallion.

I like that my mind was just making up nonsense but it was very much in the spirit of the actual game.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Beat sewer Mohg with a +0 Cross Naginata w/ Flaming Strike, RL119, and a few black fireballs when he used his area denial downpour. No flasks remaining at the end, a long slog even though he didn't hit all that hard. A very traditional fight, learn the janky timings, find the safe openings, no status cheese. I believe that's everything that can be done (except Mohgwyn Palace, I suppose) prior to beating Morgott and opening the mountaintops. I'm excited to see and learn Morgott's cool moveset properly, he's got far too little health to let it shine in a normal playthrough.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

in the game world there's a lot of little details that suggest factions aren't as disparate as they seem and there's a lot of cross-pollination of various kinds going on

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grayshift posted:

Beat sewer Mohg with a +0 Cross Naginata w/ Flaming Strike, RL119, and a few black fireballs when he used his area denial downpour. No flasks remaining at the end, a long slog even though he didn't hit all that hard. A very traditional fight, learn the janky timings, find the safe openings, no status cheese. I believe that's everything that can be done (except Mohgwyn Palace, I suppose) prior to beating Morgott and opening the mountaintops. I'm excited to see and learn Morgott's cool moveset properly, he's got far too little health to let it shine in a normal playthrough.

Flaming strike is so good, I've been toying around with them for co-op and it's kind of disgusting how many incredible ashes polearms get

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Okay what is the twin gargoyles trick because lol

Unless I should be way higher level or something (currently 64ish)

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The twin gargoyle's trick is that you don't have to fight them because there's another secret way into the zone they guard at the very very very bottom of the sewer area later in the game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

You're kinda low for that fight, but also it doesn't break Souls bushido to summon for a gank fight, it's just evening the odds

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

No trick, as far as I know. They’re tough and you’re levels might be a bit low.
Do as much damage in as short a time as possible to the first one when the second one shows to minimize the time you’re fighting 1v2. They’re weak to strike. Good luck?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

They weren't too bad with a spirit summon and D as my NPC summon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The trick is to use physical attacks (especially striking damage) if you're a priest or warrior and magic attacks (or Rock Sling) if you're a sorcerer. Don't bother with status effects. Make sure you have a powerful spirit ash (Banished Knight Oleg and Battlemage Hugues are ideal) and (if you've followed Fia's questline) give D's armour to the naked sad-sack near the boss arena so you can summon him as an NPC ally.

Apart from that, treat them like Crucible Knights - your job is to roll through their attacks and peck away at them one blow at a time.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 12, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arent they super vulnerable to magic? Strike damage is the key, or just lots of damage in general. Summon a spirit ash but not D - he isnt much help and causes their HP to buff.

It's a real fucker of a fight, dont feel bad to mark it down to tackle later.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Arent they super vulnerable to magic? Strike damage is the key, or just lots of damage in general. Summon a spirit ash but not D - he isnt much help and causes their HP to buff.

It's a real fucker of a fight, dont feel bad to mark it down to tackle later.

They've got a 20% resistance to magic, a 0% resistance to striking damage, a 35% resistance to all other kinds of physical damage, and a 40% resistance to all other kinds of elemental damage. Plan accordingly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

They've got a 20% resistance to magic, a 0% resistance to striking damage, a 35% resistance to all other kinds of physical damage, and a 40% resistance to all other kinds of elemental damage. Plan accordingly.

they're also completely immune to all status effects, so either bring a spell that deals strike damage (any of the comet sorceries or stone of gurranq) or get a good rear end mace and give 'em a clubbing

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Arcvasti posted:

The twin gargoyle's trick is that you don't have to fight them because there's another secret way into the zone they guard at the very very very bottom of the sewer area later in the game.

I'm intrigued...

I was a bit worried about advancing the plot too quickly and having Ranni get mad that I didn't kill some guy underground whose name I've forgotten.

I also haven't seen Fia in like twenty hours and didn't know that she even had a plotline to advance to get a guy to help, and the only tanky summon I have is the banished knight Bill Engvall and he totally eats poo poo against them so maybe I just need to explore around more.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is the Forsaken Depths the bottom of the sewers I'm like 99% sure I fully explored down there

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

verbal enema posted:

Is the Forsaken Depths the bottom of the sewers I'm like 99% sure I fully explored down there

You can go even further beyond

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tarezax posted:

You can go even further beyond

Mothefucker I don't want to go back down there but I'm going to

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Sicko alert: The more ulcerated tree spirits I fight the less I mind them. The way they can near-instantly go into explosion mode at random or chain grab you is not ideal, but otherwise I do really well against them.

Meanwhile I find Avatars...not difficult but kind of annoying. And starspawn are a way messier and obnoxious boss type by far.

Magma wyrms are mostly just tedious particularly if their AI goes overboard on the lava puke.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 12, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Probably in the 1% you missed then. But yeah the best part is yet to come!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ulcerated Tree Spirits can gently caress off

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Pus of Man was terrible and the big worm version isn't much better imo. At least most of it's moves are reduced to irrelevant wiggling if you stick close?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Elemer of the Briar isn't a very nice man.

I've died to him probably a dozen times now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The useful thing about Ulcerated Tree Spirits is that once you filter out all their mad wriggling, their actual attacks are relatively slow, infrequent, and well-telegraphed. They're easy bait for guard counters, and even their mid-fight nuke attack has a significant telegraph if you know what to look out for. The Tree Spirit coils in on itself into a rough cone shape, then starts glowing before going boom.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I did it, I beat Mohg the blood man, this time all by myself and my big sword. great fight, he doesnt stop attacking and forces you to move around the arena

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Elemer of the Briar isn't a very nice man.

I've died to him probably a dozen times now.

Depending on when you stumble into that place, he can go from a sweaty fight to a downright brick wall. You're in a cramped little room and he can hit hard, fast, and at frightening distances. If I recall, the move was too stick on him and get behind him as often as possible, because he has no trouble hitting you anywhere in the room, but you can only melee him from arm's length, so putting space between you only helps him. He took me several tries as well. Good luck, skeleton.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Apart from that, treat them like Crucible Knights

You can't utterly embarass gargoyles with parries though :confused:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

The useful thing about Ulcerated Tree Spirits is that once you filter out all their mad wriggling, their actual attacks are relatively slow, infrequent, and well-telegraphed. They're easy bait for guard counters, and even their mid-fight nuke attack has a significant telegraph if you know what to look out for. The Tree Spirit coils in on itself into a rough cone shape, then starts glowing before going boom.

It also really helps if you don't camera lock.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Help I started a third playthrough to try doing more co-op but so far eveyone just wants me to die to the Tree Sentinel with them.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Really wish they'd let you un-interact with some statues. People love fighting Radahn with no points in vigor

Sometimes my staff thingy that sends my summon sign out to statues is grayed out, even though I'm in an area where I think I should be able to use it. Do I need to have at least one nearby statue activated to do it?I avoid many of them because while I love assisting with bosses, assisting with caves and exploration sections is tedious for me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SlimGoodbody posted:

He took me several tries as well. Good luck, skeleton.

This worked like a charm.

Then I went to the capital and after running around like an idot for a bit I climbed the gargantuan dragon and stumbled into a golden ghost which killed me on the first try but I summoned a mimic on take two and took him down very easily.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lance and Fingerprint Shield were a fun little diversion but now it's back to Greatsword life. It's freed up so much equip load that now I can also have my Star Fists at the ready, which are a lot of fun even if I'm not good at them at all and constantly die to trivial enemies after whiffing humiliatingly

edit - they also let me keep using Flaming Strike, which is something I'm going to rush out of the gate on future playthroughs. It's sooooo good.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

This worked like a charm.

Then I went to the capital and after running around like an idot for a bit I climbed the gargantuan dragon and stumbled into a golden ghost which killed me on the first try but I summoned a mimic on take two and took him down very easily.

Excited for you to walk into a perfectly normal open courtyard with an item in the middle of it and nothing else, soon! Don't worry about it!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm 69 lol and got my poo poo pushed in a whole bunch by the twin gargoyles. I made sure I didn't need to kill them for the story yet and noped the gently caress out of there. Now I'm trying to find the next NPC in this quest walkthrough and there's lava and snakes loving EVERYWHERE

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
if i ever us Tanna or Tianna whoever the archer ash summon is i swear the second she pops up the boss will immediately beeline for her and stomp her to dust

but i got Oleg to +9 so he just pretty much plays the game for me now

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

verbal enema posted:

if i ever us Tanna or Tianna whoever the archer ash summon is i swear the second she pops up the boss will immediately beeline for her and stomp her to dust

but i got Oleg to +9 so he just pretty much plays the game for me now

She has an awesome easter egg, spoiling just in case anyone doesn't wanna know it: there are spots where you can summon her with a direwolf nearby and she will ride around on the wolf lol. The wiki suggest it is a bug but Fextralife ain't reliable, I'm sayin it's on purpose

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

big cummers ONLY posted:

She has an awesome easter egg, spoiling just in case anyone doesn't wanna know it: there are spots where you can summon her with a direwolf nearby and she will ride around on the wolf lol. The wiki suggest it is a bug but Fextralife ain't reliable, I'm sayin it's on purpose

thats v cool

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have a great stars and I want another and Magnus is pushing my poo poo in at low level. Halp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

big cummers ONLY posted:

Holy poo poo