Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

don Jaime posted:

I like Breaking Cat News but I still haven’t sorted all the cats’ names out. I know Lupin is the white one who has more personality than the others. I think the black one is Puck and Elvis and Goldie are look alikes. I think. I wish she hadn’t added more cats.

Now, see, it's not like I *want* Georgia Dunn to kill Lupin off in the strip, but... Well, all the cats in this strip are based on real cats in her life. And every time she gets a new cat she loves it so much that she adds it to the strip. And she's said cats in the strip will remain even when their real life counterparts pass on. That is all very very sweet and this whole strip is very very sweet and Georgia Dunn seems very very sweet. You're right, though. The cat situation as it is is already unwieldy and I can only see it getting worse as the years go by and she falls in love with more cats.

Junk Drawer

Home Free

Why do I timg Home Free, but leave Junk Drawer full size? Because Junk Drawer is a better strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics Note that we're missing a day since Friday's paper was missing for some reason.

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

don Jaime posted:

I wasn’t aware these kids had names.

I like Breaking Cat News but I still haven’t sorted all the cats’ names out. I know Lupin is the white one who has more personality than the others. I think the black one is Puck and Elvis and Goldie are look alikes. I think. I wish she hadn’t added more cats.

Elvis has the sideburns

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/20-22/50

Archie 7/5-6/46

No Fourth of July paper, so only two strips today.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Speaking of Breaking Cat News...

Georgia Dunn posted:

This beautiful pair of little young adults got their collars this week! Don’t they look so grown up? 😭💖

Each of the cats in our house have their own collar color. And those colors correspond with their ties in the comic! Elvis has always had black, Pucky has always had green, and Lupin always had red. Goldie has light blue, and so her shirt is light blue.

Originally I had orange planned for Iggy, due to his very sweet Halloween/vampire appearance. However, soon after Lupin died I felt that passing his red onto Iggy might be a good way to honor their friendship. They were such good buddies in the months before Lupin died, in an easy, warm, trusting, playful way Lupin had not always shared with other cats.

Iggy was given his own new red collar. Lupin’s old collar was pretty shredded up (Lupin went through collars like you would not believe. 🤣 1-2 are STILL lost in the house somewhere!) I’ve shortened it into a bracelet to wear on days I need to feel him a little closer (or special occasions! 😅) And then immediately regretted shortening it, because “oh no, now we’ll never know how wide his neck was” and other grief fueled thoughts you have around change. 😅🥲 I soon comforted myself that any kind of destruction honors Lupin, and he would have shortened it further and thrown it into a plant if he could have. 🤣

I think Iggy wears the red beautifully!! ❤️ And Ora Zella got a brand new color for the household—pink! As pretty and wild as she is. Ora Zella is a like a Lisa Frank portrait of a kitten and a teddy bear jumping a motorcycle over a dolphin pit. 🔥💖🏍💖🔥 Pink felt just Purrfect for her.

Our favorite Italian grandparents Iggy and Ora Zella are growing up! ❤️❤️❤️

More pics at the instagram

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1 In which we finally see Nero's Boy K-Pop Band: D-Slide

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Nether Edge is a suburb of Sheffield. It’s a great place to live, work, and start a boy band.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Welcome to the A Sketchy Life halftime show for February 10, 1927, and apropos for the evening, we're leading with Gluyas Williams tipping his chapeau to a football legend:

Fielding Yost spent the majority of his college football coaching career (1901-28) at the University of Michigan. Yost's team became known for its speed of play, running 219 plays in a single game, earning him the nickname "Hurry Up", and Yost is credited with inventing the no-huddle offense and the fake kick. All of which is action-packed enough to make me wish I gave a drat about football, but there I go again, wishing I wasn't an AI that never got the hang of being human.

Meanwhile, Frederick Strothmann celebrates Valentine's Day with another "Solomon is the Biblical king who hosed" gag:

John Held Jr.:

Garrett Price:

Bruce Bairnsfather tunes up the Life crystal ball:

If the signature says Art Young, we must be going back to Hell:

And here's a thing that I haven't found an excuse to include up to this point. Even when I don't pop one of his pages in here, Fred G Cooper has quietly been in every issue for years doing spot illustrations for Life's op-ed page. I should've been collecting these all along, seeing as how some of the themes are evergreen.

And speaking of themes we haven't aged out of... :smith:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 13, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 25, 1955)

Next week:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Once a week I am annoyed at how much more generally cool and actually moving dkrwardthe Sunday phantom story is than the weekday one is

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cassandra looks like she just took a hit of the ol' catnip.

EasyEW posted:

Garrett Price:

Jokes about talkies, not super common nowadays.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

[sighs] answers below because I recognize like all of these.

alright so:

Kevin is Ed from Full Metal Alchemist, Kell and Coney are Sailor Moon and Chibi Usagi respectively, Kevin's sister is Rikku from Final Fantasy and her husband is Naruto and their kid is a pikaman because this was 15 years ago and was before he became a human, Rachel the Rhino is the Yellow Ranger, Angelique is Faye from Cowboy Bebop, Kevin and Kell's moms are Haku and Yubaba from Spirited Away, Coney is Kiki of Kiki's Delivery Service and Fenton is her cat, Rudy and Fiona are Ash Ketchum and Misty from Pokemon, Aby is the Catbus from Totoro while Ralph and Fiona's mom are Totoro and the gal from that, Rhonda is probably a Rumiko Takahashi-style catgirl, and last but not least Corrie and Bruno are Ryoko and maybe Tenchi from Tenchi Muyo!. I'm gonna go cry now that I knew all of this.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 13, 2023

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Hostile V posted:

[sighs] answers below because I recognize like all of these.

alright so:

Kevin is Ed from Full Metal Alchemist, Kell and Coney are Sailor Moon and Chibi Usagi respectively, Kevin's sister is Rikku from Final Fantasy and her husband is Naruto and their kid is ?????, Rachel the Rhino is the Yellow Ranger, Angelique is Faye from Cowboy Bebop, Kevin and Kell's moms are Haku and Yubaba from Spirited Away, Coney is Kiki of Kiki's Delivery Service and Fenton is her cat, Rudy and Fiona are Ash Ketchum and Misty from Pokemon, Aby is the Catbus from Totoro while Ralph and Fiona's mom are Totoro and the gal from that, Rhonda is probably a Rumiko Takahashi-style catgirl, and last but not least Corrie and Bruno are Ryoko and maybe Tenchi from Tenchi Muyo!. I'm gonna go cry now that I knew all of this.

Pretty sure that's No-face, not Haku. Can't help you with the kid.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ardeem posted:

Pretty sure that's No-face, not Haku. Can't help you with the kid.
Right, yes, No-Face, thank you.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Right, yes, No-Face, thank you.

Also, RL is Gendo from Eva (he's in the Aby catbus)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Glomped. Glomped. None of you are free from sin.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Dec 26, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 11-12, 1993)

Big Nate

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Christ, Nate's an rear end in a top hat.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

don Jaime posted:

Elvis is a Siamese and Goldie's an orange, they look very different! Now one of correspondent cats outside of the main group --Sophie maybe? -- I get confused with Goldie all the drat time.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Also, RL is Gendo from Eva (he's in the Aby catbus)
poo poo, you're right, very hard to notice, thank you.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 12, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

don Jaime posted:

I wish she hadn’t added more cats.

so does her husband

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rosi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/12/03

Brenda Starr 5/25-27/50

Smokey Stover 11/30/52

Everyday Movies 2/6/36

"Always no jobs, my son says, but so soon as he picks up a new girl he manages to get a job. And what good does that do ME then?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/31 - 11/2/40

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Whoops, I thought I had to scan more Fingerpori and skipped posting yesterday - turns out I still had some scanned and just forgot. Sorry!!

B. Virtanen

Outdoors amateur theatre/musicals are a common summer pastime here.

ANSU

Fingerpori

Rankkuri = animal control officer, dogcatcher, that kinda thing
Runkkari = literally "person who masturbates"; afaik a general derogatory term (you know, like "fucker") but could possibly also mean an exhibitionist/flasher more specifically
Runkata = slang term for masturbation
-ri (and maybe -li?) = suffix that indicates a person who does something as their profession or specializes in doing something. Still in a lot of words like profession names but slightly outdated in the sense that the suffix works "correctly" only with specific existing cases, I think.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Weembles posted:

Every time I think BWjr can't get more horny over Cassandra Cat he bumps the dial up one more notch.

I like that panel, it's very dynamic art for Slylock Fox, but yeah.

I like that Koppy is snacking on a bag labeled "Fancy Feast."

don Jaime posted:

He didn't do himself any favors in stopping people from thinking the one kid is Ness by naming him Ten.

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 02, 1955)

Fortunately this isn't a Mozz-length story, just a quick recap to give readers who joined somewhere along the 18 years this strip had been running at this point some backstory. Also probably to give Foster a bit of a break by reusing some art.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Say it with scrap metal.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 02, 1955)

Fortunately this isn't a Mozz-length story, just a quick recap to give readers who joined somewhere along the 18 years this strip had been running at this point some backstory. Also probably to give Foster a bit of a break by reusing some art.

Also, "Val tells his kids his old war stories" is a very sensible framing device

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori is firmly on the side of "all cops are if not bastards, useless"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

I... have questions.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

Rankkuri = animal control officer, dogcatcher, that kinda thing
Runkkari = literally "person who masturbates"; afaik a general derogatory term (you know, like "fucker") but could possibly also mean an exhibitionist/flasher more specifically
Runkata = slang term for masturbation
-ri (and maybe -li?) = suffix that indicates a person who does something as their profession or specializes in doing something. Still in a lot of words like profession names but slightly outdated in the sense that the suffix works "correctly" only with specific existing cases, I think.

how do Finns even communicate

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

samcarsten posted:

how do Finns even communicate

With lots of alcohol.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Nice attention to detail with the flopped Notre Dame logo, Jeffy.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Selachian posted:

Nice attention to detail with the flopped Notre Dame logo, Jeffy.

Now he’s a bootleg UNC fan!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

It's a duck-blur.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

This story is never ending.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That's probably the best way to handle a Wilbur: refuse to let their personal drama into your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn