Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ikanreed posted:

Yeah, trivially easy gameplay where you get wrecked in cutscenes is so much worse than cutscenes showing an impossibly high standard of skill to live up to

Ah I see you to have played trails of Cold steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

gently caress. Yes. Good to hear. I'm gonna' wait until Fall, 'cause that's when the original came out and I have a weird brain, but this is extremely good to hear.

It's amazing, I can't actually remember the last time I revisited a game this old and felt like I was actually playing it for the first time twenty years ago.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I still haven't picked up Prime Remastered yet but it was a magical experience 20+ years ago. It would feel familiar, I'm sure to replay it but I have forgotten so much it might as well be a fresh playthrough.

As a "Super will always be the best Metroid no matter what. Shup up, I'm not even considering anything else," I still rank Prime as 2a (with Dread as 2b) and the gap between 1 and 2 isn't that big. I think reading the pirate entries of in Prime was probably one of the most enjoyable experiences in the series because they portray Samus as the Terminator: hacking their systems at will, blowing through their defenses, being utterly unstoppable and of course, their experiments with morph ball tech. It made you, as the player, feel like a badass. It was also quite obvious toward the end that even the bosses would have hard time just slugging it out with you because you were goddamned tank.

Dread really dialed back the power fantasy, and that's ok, but I do enjoy Samus being the badass she is.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I would say Dread’s bosses are the hardest since Fusion. Not sure if I could say one is harder than the other. They’re both good.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Fusion has the hardest Ridley fight because his battle screeches hurt my ears

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Samus Returns or whatever Mercury Steam's remake of Metroid 2 was called had some tougher bosses from what I remember - you can kind of see some of the DNA of Dread in there.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was told to post here.

I plugged in my SNES Classic and started Super Metroid for the first time last night. Been thinking about it since. It’s so mysterious. The atmosphere and world building is really cool. Controls and mechanics feels really tight, responsive but still physical with weight behind the movement. The sound design and music, drat!!!

I’m always worried when I start an old game that it will be frustrating and lack QoL features I’m spoiled by but this game feels like it could come out today and feel great.

Tentative plan is to beat this and then move on to my first playthrough of Metroid Prime :D

Be sure to remap the buttons so they make more sense, the default setup is weird. I recommend A for run, B for jump, Y for shooting and X for weapon cancel

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Oxyclean posted:

Samus Returns or whatever Mercury Steam's remake of Metroid 2 was called had some tougher bosses from what I remember - you can kind of see some of the DNA of Dread in there.

People hated the Diggernaut, but frankly that dude's boss design was right up my alley. The best boss from that game though was the Metroid Queen for doing an honest to god final exam test of nearly every single item you'd acquired up to then.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bladeworksmaster posted:

People hated the Diggernaut, but frankly that dude's boss design was right up my alley. The best boss from that game though was the Metroid Queen for doing an honest to god final exam test of nearly every single item you'd acquired up to then.

I need to replay that game, still have my 3DS

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I seriously hate how you can't post about something being difficult without people lining up to tell you big their dick is.

I’ve accepted that whenever I start Elden Ring I can never ask for help online because a horde of Fromsoft fans will trip over themselves to yell “Get Gude” in response.

But yea I remember I did ok with Dread, one of my favorite games of all time but also I just accepted some of the bosses would take me hours if not days to beat - but yea was surprised when I talked to non terminally online people and they told me how much they struggled with it. Some never finished it.

The internet is very much an echo-chamber and not at all most people’s experience.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I would say Dread’s bosses are the hardest since Fusion. Not sure if I could say one is harder than the other. They’re both good.

For 2D Games maybe.

Mogenar eats them all for breakfast, but he did not deserve it.

Comparing Dreads bosses to Sekiro I feel is apt since it does have the same feel of gradually rising to match their difficulty.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
BORN TO DIE
SR388 IS A gently caress
Kill ‘em all 1991
I am trash bounty hunter
47 DEAD METROIDS

That is game boy Metroid 2 done and dusted and a ghost from my past finally exorcised. Very good game, though there are a lot of times where ambition is clashing against the hardware. Not to mention some of the Metroid battles devolve to basic slugfests depending on the area.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 13, 2023

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Unlucky7 posted:

That is game boy Metroid 2 done and dusted and a ghost from my past finally exorcised. Very good game, though there are a lot of times where ambition is clashing against the hardware. Not to mention some of the Metroid battles devolve to basic slugfests depending on the area.

On the plus side, you have two remakes to choose from if you ever want to go back and experience Metroid 2 again...with FAR less headache.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I’ve accepted that whenever I start Elden Ring I can never ask for help online because a horde of Fromsoft fans will trip over themselves to yell “Get Gude” in response.

I realise this is a bit of hyperbole but I picked up Dark Souls in the Christmas break, completed it and I'm currently playing through Dark Souls 2 and the goon souls thread / discord have been nothing but supportive and good natured throughout me posting my many, many deaths. The community has a reputation but anything that kills you has also killed someone else who'll laugh and say "yeah, that got me too".

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think you can really post something like
You deleted the part of the post where I said that it's a very imprecise and clumsy description of a very complex mechanism and included only the metaphors I used that I hoped would shake loose in the readers' minds the phenomenon I'm talking about, should they have ever experienced it.

But also, I'm talking about difficulty, which is subjective, and also speaking only of my own enjoyment of a thing and not WHAT THE GAME SHOULD BE FOR ALL OF US OBJECTIVELY ARGLE BARGLE or whatever.,which is also subjective. So can people step off my nuts, please? 'Cause I'm sure the medical waste facility they're currently sitting in doesn't appreciate intruders.

We're not arguing toward consensus here. We're not collectively deciding what to do about the bear attacking the village. I gave my opinion on why I didn't enjoy Samus Returns and thought Metroid Dread was a great improvement that nonetheless still missed the mark on this one specific thing.

Sakamoto is super into the idea of Samus being helpless and afraid, as his last four Metroid games have shown, and I'm just way not, and when you marry that to an irritating gameplay issue that would be just fine in any other franchise, I have opinions, y'know?

Party Boat posted:

You should play Dark Souls op, dying over and over is explicitly part of the game's story
Young me would've loved it, ' cause she had nothing but time and patience for that sort of thing, and always yearned for this exact kind of challenge. Though it's cool that they work that into the narrative. I hadn't heard that. That'd change things considerably for me, weirdly enough. If there was a whole Metroid game that had dying repeatedly and coming back to life as a gimmick, exactly one half of this issue would be immediately solved for me.
I think you've understood what I meant despite the fact that I've yet to find the proper, actual words to say it.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

The cutscenes of Samus being cool as gently caress were absolutely necessary after Other M.
drat, that's a really good point.

Though I still wish they'd have let me experience those moments myself.

stev posted:

I thought a lot of Dread's bosses had a really fun level of difficulty.
I did too! It wasn't every boss I had this problem with. Most of them I only repeated a couple of times, which as I mentioned in the OP, doesn't really create ludonarrative dissonance for me, nor does it feel like I was meant to lose several times to pad out game length.

the holy poopacy posted:

Yup, there was a discussion about Metroid development in the ROM hacking thread the other day and if you go reading interviews about the old Metroid team, part of the reason there was such a drought of Metroid games was that absolutely nobody was confident they could follow Super Metroid's act (including Sakamoto.)
That doesn't surprise me one tiny bit, but what super did was that of the two Metroid games released on the same day after the first huge drought, it was the FPS (it wasn't actually, but it was sold that way) that actually went and did it. I super figured I'd be way into Fusion and would reluctantly play Prime exactly once just to see it, and what a loving wonderful surprise half of that turned out to be.

Oxyclean posted:

I'm starting to think the context of my posts was lost in my poo poo words, 'cause I was talking about Samus Returns this whole time and thought Dread was a huge improvement. But I used a bunch of examples of Dread because I barely remember Samus Returns beyond everything I hated.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would not call Samus afraid in dread, or any game outside Other M so I think that’s your weird issue there

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would not call Samus afraid in dread, or any game outside Other M so I think that’s your weird issue there

This is arguably part of the dissonance--things like the EMMI are designed to make the player feel helpless, vulnerable, and afraid, but Samus just plunges in with almost suicidal abandon.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

LividLiquid posted:

I think you've understood what I meant despite the fact that I've yet to find the proper, actual words to say it.

I'm starting to think the context of my posts was lost in my poo poo words, 'cause I was talking about Samus Returns this whole time and thought Dread was a huge improvement. But I used a bunch of examples of Dread because I barely remember Samus Returns beyond everything I hated.

Well I've seen you post about videogames for like 14 years now and have some idea what sort of problems you have. I remember in the Zelda thread when I first started it all about your issues with MM. I don't necessarily share your specific anxieties but I do understand them.

And yeah I didn't really care for Samus Returns much at all. I played through most of it before giving up because I found it repetitive and the 3DS thumb pad always hurts my thumb. I didn't have high hopes for Dread and was very surprised that it ended up being my favorite game in the whole series.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's cool to note that Samus does infact have a different idle animation in the EMMI zones while they are active that's more cautious than outside, Samus feels some sense of danger but has been through so much she's easily able to push it aside when needed.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Party Boat posted:

I realise this is a bit of hyperbole but I picked up Dark Souls in the Christmas break, completed it and I'm currently playing through Dark Souls 2 and the goon souls thread / discord have been nothing but supportive and good natured throughout me posting my many, many deaths. The community has a reputation but anything that kills you has also killed someone else who'll laugh and say "yeah, that got me too".

Yeah, in practice the "git gud"s only really come out when the other party is starting off with "this is why the game is bad/dumb/unfair/etc". If someone is sincerely asking for advice I've never seen souls fans not be supportive.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MokBa posted:

Well I've seen you post about videogames for like 14 years now and have some idea what sort of problems you have. I remember in the Zelda thread when I first started it all about your issues with MM. I don't necessarily share your specific anxieties but I do understand them.
In case you're wondering if I've forgotten how awesome you and your Zelda thread were in walking me through my first big attempt at Majora's Mask, or if I appreciated it, I haven't, and I super did, respectively.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Sorry then - it seemed like specifically a commentary on Dread's boss design - and for what it's worth I'm trying to come specifically from a point of not initially liking the difficulty and design differences of Dread vs. previous metroid games. I'm not really trying to find some objective truth or convince you you're wrong, and I don't really think anyone was coming around to talk how big dick they were - just that they enjoyed the difficulty or did not experience the same disconnect.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I finished the game this morning and only had 150 missiles. I have no loving clue where the other 20 packs were because I swear I used every visor in every room and this game sure hides things well. But also 150 was way more than enough for Ridley and Prime.

LividLiquid posted:

In case you're wondering if I've forgotten how awesome you and your Zelda thread were in walking me through my first big attempt at Majora's Mask, or if I appreciated it, I haven't, and I super did, respectively.

Well idk if I helped specifically with MM as it's one I've only played all the way through like twice ever. But I'm glad the thread could be of help!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Missile packs are only important at the end for using the wavebuster as long as possible

brrrzzzzt

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LividLiquid posted:

Sakamoto is super into the idea of Samus being helpless and afraid, as his last four Metroid games have shown, and I'm just way not, and when you marry that to an irritating gameplay issue that would be just fine in any other franchise, I have opinions, y'know?
Dread and Fusion are both about Samus being put in a position where she’s the underdog and has to outsmart her enemies to stay alive while building up strength to regain the upper hand. it’s a very common type of narrative, especially in video games.
That’s why Samus looks cool when she kills bosses, it’s catharsis

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Her contempt for Kraid in Dread was hilarious. As soon as she sees him, it’s just a shrug while her beam is charging up to shoot at his stupid face. The devs even put in 2 quick-kills for him, depending on how hard you broke the intended sequence.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Diggernaut and Metroid Queen were really loving hard on Hard. I suppose Ridley was too. I still think that boss fight was a pointless addition that made no sense. Overall Fusion on Normal was about as hard as Samus Returns on hard lol Dread was also tougher on Hard I think.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

ChaseSP posted:

It's cool to note that Samus does infact have a different idle animation in the EMMI zones while they are active that's more cautious than outside, Samus feels some sense of danger but has been through so much she's easily able to push it aside when needed.

That reminds me of another cool detail in Fusion, where a lot of the animations Samus has in that game show how weakend she is in that game, but in subtle ways. A big one is that she almost always uses her left arm to support the weight of her arm cannon, which is something she doesn't do in any other game. Another one is if you fall from a big enough height and stay still after landing, Samus will actually flinch a bit. You don't take any damage or anything, but again that's not something Samus would normally ever do.
And probably the coolest thing is that the SA-X has the exact same animations as Samus did in Super, which really drives how intentional it was.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah Fusion has a bunch of excellent spriting related to Samus and bosses, that she's now explicitly weak and recovering from drastic surgery that had chunks of her body removed along with most of her suit shows in the new sprites.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

This is arguably part of the dissonance--things like the EMMI are designed to make the player feel helpless, vulnerable, and afraid, but Samus just plunges in with almost suicidal abandon.

I mean the EMMI aren’t even really that strong, they are just unkillable. Like once you get a weapon that can crack them they go down fairly easily, for the most part

Like if they catch Samus they can kill her but so can most enemies

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
My take is that Samus does very much feel fear in the EMMI sections, but is experienced enough where she knows when and how to push through those feelings

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

The cutscenes of Samus being cool as gently caress were absolutely necessary after Other M.

The hosed up thing is that Other M Samus would have been totally made sense as a Pre-Zero Mission Samus (of course the story would need some heavy modification)

But a lot of Other M had me thinking "how in the gently caress did she even survive this long" with weird gaffe moments like her suit powering down entirely when being stressed out or when taking shots to the back.

Everything she got in Samus Returns and Dread were absolutely needed imo

MechaX fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 13, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm decently far in and got stuck, I don't know where to go and I'm backtracking everywhere and double-checking rooms. I could just look up where to go but for an hour or so it's like I'm playing Prime for the first time and I may never get to experience this again. This is Gaming.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tender Bender posted:

I'm decently far in and got stuck, I don't know where to go and I'm backtracking everywhere and double-checking rooms. I could just look up where to go but for an hour or so it's like I'm playing Prime for the first time and I may never get to experience this again. This is Gaming.

Do you have hints turned off? Bold move, if so.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do you have hints turned off? Bold move, if so.

I do! This is a top-3 game of all time for me, I haven't played it in over a decade and I'm going to relish every moment of this playthrough. And now I figured out where to go!

There's a game mechanics trick that tripped me up: If a morph ball tunnel leads to another room you haven't mapped yet, there isn't an obvious mark like there is for doors, so if you're just scanning the map for doors you haven't opened/unlocked you might miss it. You gotta look for odd little nooks too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

no hints is the proper way to play Metroid prime

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Eh, at some point if you're just missing something it can suck to spend 10-20 minutes traveling back and forth to dead ends. It can be easy to design around in the early game when it's easy to trap the player or block off earlier areas, but it gets a little worse in the later game.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
These color-coded troopers in the Phazon Mines are kicking my rear end. It seems like I can never get through an engagement with one without losing more health than I can ever gain back, and wind up dead before I see any sign of a save room (or even an upgrade).

The ice ones are the worst. In theory they're supposed to be vulnerable to the ice beam, but they seem to take hardly any damage from it. A wiki is telling me I should be able to freeze and shatter them, but in practice they seem to be invulnerable to damage while frozen?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Were you trying missiles while they're frozen or just repeated beam shots?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Twin stick in portable mode is surprisingly accurate despite my hate for the little thumbsticks. I jumped around magmoor no problem.
Also, I warmed up again to pointer mode, I just needed to relax, just tried lounging on the couch; appatently resting my hand down works wonders since it returns back to its resting position everytime instead of clasping in random directions whenever I get antsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Rand Brittain posted:

These color-coded troopers in the Phazon Mines are kicking my rear end. It seems like I can never get through an engagement with one without losing more health than I can ever gain back, and wind up dead before I see any sign of a save room (or even an upgrade).

The ice ones are the worst. In theory they're supposed to be vulnerable to the ice beam, but they seem to take hardly any damage from it. A wiki is telling me I should be able to freeze and shatter them, but in practice they seem to be invulnerable to damage while frozen?

Hit them with your weakest ice beam charge shot (as soon as it starts charging) to get them frozen fast. They'll stay frozen long enough for you to fully charge a second shot and break them.