Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just lol if there's a big trash heap of plastic aldi's bags and bbq tarps slowly growing in size at the north pole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PokeJoe posted:

I hope a sidewinder took out a bunch of UAPs and those aliens rightly know to fear us

lol they did in fact use a sidewinder

quote:

The search linked to Saturday’s interception is being carried out in treacherous conditions off the coast of Alaska near Prudhoe Bay, a major oil drilling community. A flying object described by US officials as being roughly the size of a Volkswagen Beetle car was shot down by F-22 fighter jets using a Sidewinder air-to-air missle on Friday afternoon.

https://apple.news/AXQAFhoqjRJWHWek2JVjzYg

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

a barge above

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I hope they're shooting down a bunch of Lockheed test flights while a bunch of engineers are running around Groom Lake screaming their heads off

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
air trash is one of the stupidest pairs of words i have ever read and it is breaking my brain

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

blatman posted:

just lol if there's a big trash heap of plastic aldi's bags and bbq tarps slowly growing in size at the north pole

the aldis by me doesn't have plastic bags. has the timeline shifted again??

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

This does lead to an interesting thought, I wonder how much garbage really is floating around in the sky, like some light plastic bags or something that blow high enough up are just neutrally bouyant enough that they just settle at a certain altitude and hang out

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

air trash is one of the stupidest pairs of words i have ever read and it is breaking my brain

it shouldnt be, im sure i speak for everyone when i say sometimes people dont want to walk their trash bag all the way to the dumpster and instead just throw it into low orbit

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Justin Tyme posted:

I think a better question is are there wind gusts at that altitude, i'd think not but idk
yeah, my short googling says wind up there starts above 57mph and goes well over 200 so balloon gotta move

A MIRACLE posted:

it’s a plastic bag but it can hover and it’s also drawn to the north pole

air trash

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

sky garbage?
atmospheric rubbish?
high altitude debris?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
In a strange twist, the objects are manned by extraterrestrials and the US Gov't struck a deal with them: we'll stop shooting you down if you leave and take these loving "um duh SKY TRASH" posters with you.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Justin Tyme posted:

This does lead to an interesting thought, I wonder how much garbage really is floating around in the sky, like some light plastic bags or something that blow high enough up are just neutrally bouyant enough that they just settle at a certain altitude and hang out

the nerds at the noaa are going to do a bunch of test flights and go "oh yeah the sky is full of trash too" lmao

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
like ok i know about SPACE DEBRIS but since when does trash fly from montana to lake huron at 20k feet in 12 hours

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

some nerd pilot is going to be painting one of these on the side of his plane tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-35-hdWUZuk

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

plastic bags were only invented a week ago

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Sky trash in the world of tomorrow

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that missile is never gonna go out of style

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Tekne posted:

If this behavior is backed up by the sensors on the raptor and other radar sources, this ability might be why they are hesitant to call them balloons when they encountered these birds at 20 to 40 thousand feet where a gas bag simply can't stop in place in high speed winds.
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1624533981046636544
https://twitter.com/Apex_WW/status/1624248504888487938

Could that just be parallax or whatver tho

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Al! posted:

the nerds at the noaa are going to do a bunch of test flights and go "oh yeah the sky is full of trash too" lmao

That line of thinking would also mean there's a bunch of microplastics floating around at different density layers of the ocean lmao like just a plastic silty film floating at different depths

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

much as the oceans are full of trash, so are the skies. in some sense the sky is the ocean of the air.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
everyone that's ever seen anything in the sky is a drunk, and a loving idiot.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Log082 posted:

some nerd pilot is going to be painting one of these on the side of his plane tomorrow:

You consumers buying into the US MIC narrative may not like it,

But this is what 20,000 feet up looks like

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
*honks f-22 horn at sky trash driver* ayy im crackin and pingin ova here!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the skies, the oceans, the earth, my rear end, all full of trash

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Al! posted:

im a trash truther

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Log082 posted:

the little kid in me loving loves this

my favourite part is the way it blasts sewage out the top as it sails overhead

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

like ok i know about SPACE DEBRIS but since when does trash fly from montana to lake huron at 20k feet in 12 hours

ever heard of a little thing called the wind?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Trubbish -> Garbador -> Wastewing

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

gravity usually brings objects that have no propulsion or helium or other floating gases to the surface, but what do I know. I'm not a garbage man.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what is this thing about radar sensitivity/filters being changed

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Sharkie posted:

ever heard of a little thing called the wind?

yeah im BREAKING it onto your posts right now!!!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Trubbish -> Garbador -> Wastewing

mods please change my name to Garbador-Wastewing

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

much as the oceans are full of trash, so are the skies. in some sense the sky is the ocean of the air.

Too biblical

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
dont forget that a bunch of dod brains are permanently scrambled due to long covid, uh i mean lockdown depression or whatever

jet stream moves pretty fast

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

The balloon incident made norad go like "what if we stopped filtering out small objects" and woops turns out there's a bunch of small objects blowing around all over the place

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Radar operators filter out a ton of random noise and small detections like birds or (random example) plastic bags caught by the wind. After the whole debacle with the chinese balloon they stopped doing that and now they're seeing either evidence that we've polluted the skies as much as we have everywhere else or aliens. It's probably the first one but random people from government agencies keep coming out with mostly boring press conferences where they slip in a little weird detail, then refuse to elaborate. Like the NOAA guy saying "Wasn't one of our balloons, balloons don't hover."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Some signals are mathematically filtered to remove false positives and not scramble interceptors vs geese flocks

They stopped doing that after the Chinese balloon and immediately started detecting objects of unknown origin

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
There are also a lot of insects at outrageously high altitudes just blowing around.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

There are also a lot of insects at outrageously high altitudes just blowing around.

are you telling me we've been blowing up sky spider nests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

thats not candy posted:

dont forget that a bunch of dod brains are permanently scrambled due to long covid, uh i mean lockdown depression or whatever

jet stream moves pretty fast

ok you are right, it moves faster than i thought it did. i still don’t think it’s trash but i will admit it is not impossible