Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/LunaEclipse68/status/1624035388841926661?t=3hXg3GANvrxEtepbYPWong&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/mollygos/status/1624847572182642689?s=46&t=p_LD5Wy9mmWxJOTI0DcpxA

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Kirby's Dreamland is super charming. HAL really knocked it out of the park on the first try.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Draga posted:

Kirby's Dreamland is super charming. HAL really knocked it out of the park on the first try.

it's such an adorable little game, although it's wild that they thought a pure white boxart kirby was at all appealing

one tech bit about that game that always impressed me: none of the enemies have any kind of pathfinding, or even any rudimentary trigger system for determining where to go. their movements were instead hardcoded into the game via hex for every single screen, which is a hell of a lot of work

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
veeg is streaming Okami a few games from now so I guess I should finally play it before that starts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's the best three games you'll ever play

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ehhhhhh, by half way through the second I was pretty much running on fumes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You'll be hooked on the Brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzuUOqABGf0

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i dont give a gently caress about the brothers

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I don't think that's how the lyrics go

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

verbal enema posted:

i dont give a gently caress about the brothers

captain lou is going to rise from the grave and slam you into the ground

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

kirbysuperstar posted:

captain lou can suck deez nuts

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Owns.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

kirbysuperstar posted:

"you'll go to hell before you die" -- captain lou albano

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8M8I2SYEiA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Everything about this movie looks fun except for Crisp Rat.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
kimya dawson wrote a song dedicated to Captain Lou Albano i rescind my previous statement

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, the difficult choice of where to begin for Live A Live

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
imo get prehistory out of the way as it's the weakest one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

lol these flintstones cars

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Returnal comes out for PC in two days. Hyped for that port.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I enjoy that Live A Live doesn't really seem to have resource management. HP is healed after every fight and the only real "MP" is cast time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

I enjoy that Live A Live doesn't really seem to have resource management. HP is healed after every fight and the only real "MP" is cast time.

That HP thing should be standard in games with random encounters

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I said come in! posted:

Glad more people will get to play this one, it's an all-timer.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Gripweed posted:

That HP thing should be standard in games with random encounters

That kinda defeats the purpose of random encounters imo. They’re supposed to drain resources

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought they padded the game

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

For people still on the fence - Straight up don't sleep on this, it's fantastic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They call it Returnal because you play it and returnal it to a store

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

For people still on the fence - Straight up don't sleep on this, it's fantastic.

A digital game would be quite the poor pillow

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you buy returnal on pc you’re spitting in the face of every ps5 owner, but you still shouldn’t do it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

A digital game would be quite the poor pillow

You've never dreamed in digital? It's better than nothing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

Everything about this movie looks fun except for Crisp Rat.

yeah pretty much

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jay Rust posted:

If you buy returnal on pc you’re spitting in the face of every ps5 owner, but you still shouldn’t do it

it's okay they are used to it, go for broke i say

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hatty posted:

That kinda defeats the purpose of random encounters imo. They’re supposed to drain resources

that's what they're supposed to do in theory, but a vanishingly small proportion of RPGs actually tune the secondary systems surrounding encounters (e.g. item acquisition/capacity, distance between save points) to the point where there's any real resources to drain that can't be reacquired almost instantly

the formula to aim for is something ala dark souls, but the difficulty with RPGs is that the average length of combat encounters is usually far longer than dark souls, which makes the prospect of having to slog back from a save point to where you were previously through a sea of encounters kinda dispiriting. i think a solution that would work would be something akin to dead space remake or the REmakes, where item drops are dynamic and respond to how well/poorly you're doing to try and keep you at a reasonably neutral level of available resources, but i don't know of any RPGs that've tried something like that out yet

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

a buddy of mine gifted me a steam copy of returnal for my birthday and i am fuckin stoked, it's the only game that made me want a ps5 and now i don't need to get one!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hatty posted:

Depends on the game, yeah that’s supposed to be the idea and in old school games like Etrian Odyssey that’s how they function but after playing SaGa there’s definitely an appeal in having a game where the goal is to survive fight by fight and downgrading the player’s ability to heal accordingly since they get a full heal afterwards anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I got locked into a fight while severely underleveled in LaL and I didn't have any saves, so I had to start over and speed to where I was and this time actually level up and craft stuff.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If the idea is attrition then it'd be better achieved by specific encounters with a known level of resources to use over the course. When our DM wants to have an attrition segment, we can't just hit up a save point and go ask to kindly kill easy enemies until we level up. There's a driving force and reason we need to be smart and thoughtful with our choices and resources, and it works because the DM planned this out -- and even if choosing to invoke random encounter tables still has complete agency and authorial control over maintaining the feeling of attrition.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I kinda like how Persona does attrition where the problem isn't HP, it's just SP, and the attrition is seeing how far you can get into the dungeon in a single day before your party gets tired.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes I think about Blue Apron and lol to myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I got locked into a fight while severely underleveled in LaL and I didn't have any saves, so I had to start over and speed to where I was and this time actually level up and craft stuff.

The auto save didn’t work? It’s usually pretty good about doing the last screen to avoid that, or I could be a crazy person who’s just thinking of another game entirely.