Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
They got you on the calculation, but I'd highly recommend considering milestone leveling over tracking XP rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

They got you on the calculation, but I'd highly recommend considering milestone leveling over tracking XP rewards.

It's important to learn those rules for encounter design even if you're doing milestone levelling, and a lot of new people are probably looking at the beginner box, which very prominently introduces them to GMs as part of creating situations (such as highlighting an XP bonus for turning off a trap)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Yeah I meant to ask about that at some point too. I figured maybe after running the Beginner's Box adventure would be a good time to do that instead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah I meant to ask about that at some point too. I figured maybe after running the Beginner's Box adventure would be a good time to do that instead.

If you move into Troubles In Otari or Abomination Vaults, those are pretty milestone friendly as written.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Zero is an imaginary number no wonder I forgot about it, thanks.

No, imaginary numbers square root of -1.

Jokes aside, I finally hosted my first game. We kept it relatively simple because we weren't really there for a dungeon crawl--the characters were "looking for work" and stumbled into a mystery. One of the players said at the end "I didn't realize that a mystery was even what I wanted!" so I was happy with that. We had some fun role play and then the three adventurers became locked in combat with an elite tooth fairy, which almost killed the bard with its "tooth pull" persistent bleed damage. An AC of 17 is surprisingly hard to hit at level 1! But there were three of them and they used flanking and aid actions to juice their chances and took care of it in two rounds.

It was nice how everyone felt reasonably good and the group adhered quickly and started helping each other do everything. Also the players all agreed that they preferred milestone leveling and I'm okay with that, though I went ahead and made it clear I'll be using XP in the background to budget encounters and pace the adventure, which everyone felt was a good idea.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

An AC of 17 is surprisingly hard to hit at level 1!

Glad you enjoyed your first session!

Double check that your players are adding proficiency to their attacks. Most characters should be getting +6 or +7 to their attacks (+3 from proficiency, +3 or +4 from their ability score). That means they hit on a 10 or 11, which is pretty standard for Pathfinder 2e.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

VikingofRock posted:

Double check that your players are adding proficiency to their attacks. Most characters should be getting +6 or +7 to their attacks (+3 from proficiency, +3 or +4 from their ability score). That means they hit on a 10 or 11, which is pretty standard for Pathfinder 2e.

Flanking for the -2 is also available to everyone right from the get go and is worth doing.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Just had my first go at Pathfinder this weekend, our group decided to try out other systems when we're not running 5e Rime of the Frostmaiden.

We got through a good chunk of the Beginner's Box adventure with three players (rogue, cleric, wizard) and the DM playing the fighter since our last member came down covid. We all had a great time even if the gameplay was held up pretty often while we looked up the rules. I really like how the module lets each class have it's moments to shine and introduces various aspects of the game in such a short order.

We're nearing level 2 and are considering running with the pregen characters for one of the followup modules to keep it simple while we're learning the ropes, so I'm gonna have to decide what feature to get for the rogue.

I'm a little torn between the one that lets you stride and strike as one action, the one that lowers MAP for your second attack or Bon Mot so I can (usefully) antagonize opponents.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

VikingofRock posted:

Everyone remembered their bonuses, with a little prompting, so this really came down to the champion rolling a five on their first attack and the swashbuckler rolling 3 nat 1s in a row, which was awe-inspiring in it's unlikelihood.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Government Handjob posted:

I'm a little torn between the one that lets you stride and strike as one action, the one that lowers MAP for your second attack or Bon Mot so I can (usefully) antagonize opponents.

Bon Mot is a skill feat and those other two are Class Feats, so you shouldn’t have to choose between them in terms of feat selection.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Hey folks. I'm about to start a Pathfinder 2e game that's going to be running through Abomination vaults and I'm very excited.

I'm making a fighter, and I really like the fact they're great at using just about any weapon they pick up right out of the gate. I really like the idea of playing a character who uses a ton of different weapons rather than monofocusing on one. However, if I do this am I going to be a detriment to the party/notably underpowered as we level up? Between specialization and magic item costs, is this just asking for trouble?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LaSquida posted:

Hey folks. I'm about to start a Pathfinder 2e game that's going to be running through Abomination vaults and I'm very excited.

I'm making a fighter, and I really like the fact they're great at using just about any weapon they pick up right out of the gate. I really like the idea of playing a character who uses a ton of different weapons rather than monofocusing on one. However, if I do this am I going to be a detriment to the party/notably underpowered as we level up? Between specialization and magic item costs, is this just asking for trouble?

Kind of... But there are some ways to mitigate that. Specifically, there's Doubling Rings, which copy your main-hand magic weapon stats to your off-hand, so if you just want to cycle through 1-handed weapons in you off-hand, there's no problem with that at all.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
You can also see if your DM is willing to switch to using the Automatic Bonus Progression rules variant.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
There is a relatively cheap weapon enchant that lets you spend an action to transform your weapon into another weapon with a single action. It takes just as long to draw a new weapon, so no time is wasted.

Combine that with the Mauler dedication at level 4 or 6, which gives the fighter's improved proficiency with a single weapon type with all 2-handed weapons, instead of just swords or whatever.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

LaSquida posted:

1. Make sure you have free archetype, its just cooler.

2. Weapon improviser https://2e.aonprd.com/Archetypes.aspx?ID=82 and juggler (may contain extinction curse spoiler)https://2e.aonprd.com/Search.aspx?q=juggler both go really fun with this kind of idea.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Piell posted:

You can also see if your DM is willing to switch to using the Automatic Bonus Progression rules variant.

This is a pain if running an AP

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
How many chances do you get to sell off all your loot and buy things in the stereotypical deep dark dungeon dive? There's no harm flooding your character with fully powered items as long as you aren't selling them all and wrecking the economy

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toshimo posted:

Kind of... But there are some ways to mitigate that. Specifically, there's Doubling Rings, which copy your main-hand magic weapon stats to your off-hand, so if you just want to cycle through 1-handed weapons in you off-hand, there's no problem with that at all.

Along with doubling rings, they have been steadily releasing other “put your runes on this to use multiple weapons” options with each new sourcebook - though most of the others have been focused around Guns and Thrown weapons to date.

That said, if you want an interesting, but fully RAW way to do this, I would build as a shield carrying sword and board type. Make sure to put a spike or other weapon attachment onto the shield, and your “primary” doubling ring on that hand. Then any one handed weapon you pick up in the other becomes enchanted to match, giving you the versatility you’re after.

You could even pick up the Weapon Improviser dedication (skip Improvised Pummel if going this route) for some additional fun shenanigans.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Shifting Rune is reliable but takes away from raw power by using space for other enchants.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Hmm. Can you use doubling rings on, like, gauntlets?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There isn't really a reason that shouldn't work though it may be complicated if you're trying to use the gauntlets to then hold something else.

Doubling ring and one hand has a gauntlet and the weapon each with different sets of runes that you double to your offhand gauntlet and off hand weapons.

I love the idea of doubling ring with juggler. Just whatever random poo poo I'm juggling and throwing at you is now on fire.

Edit+ I guess it says it doesn't work on throw but I would house rule that to be cooler

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 13, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
According to juggler you can wield anything you are juggling so you can also go the other way with doubling rings and juggle daggers each with different runes to select a set.

I think you can also theoretically wield a spiked buckler but I might be missing a rule about that.

Sounds like a good gimmick for a thaumaturge

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

LaSquida posted:

Hmm. Can you use doubling rings on, like, gauntlets?

My understanding with doubling rings and gauntlets/hand wraps is that you have to wield the weapon to gain the benefit. A gauntleted hand which is being used to hold a different weapon is no longer wielding the gauntlet, so the doubling ring would not apply. It’d work fine if your goal is a dueling stance/freehand fighter (or Swashbuckler!) using 1 handed weapons and keeping one free for Athletics/Maneuvers/Dueling Parry

Your GM could rule differently, or you could homebrew up some other similar magic item to invest to allow for one set of runes to work for multiple weapons; there are a handful of examples that all work slightly differently to give you some ideas of how such a thing ought to work; in general, it seems like the lines in the sand the game draws are:

One handed weapons only. If both weapons aren’t being wielded at once, the item should apply to specific weapons chosen ahead of time. Property runes can’t be copied until level 13 or so, give or take.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 13, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Harold Fjord posted:

There isn't really a reason that shouldn't work though it may be complicated if you're trying to use the gauntlets to then hold something else.

Doubling ring and one hand has a gauntlet and the weapon each with different sets of runes that you double to your offhand gauntlet and off hand weapons.

I love the idea of doubling ring with juggler. Just whatever random poo poo I'm juggling and throwing at you is now on fire.

Specifically doesn’t work for a juggler/thrown weapon because the doubling ring specifies that as soon as the weapon leaves your hand via a throw, it no longer gets the runes. For that you want the Thrower’s Bandolier. (New in treasure vault, not yet on Nethys)

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Chevy Slyme posted:

My understanding with doubling rings and gauntlets/hand wraps is that you have to wield the weapon to gain the benefit. A gauntleted hand which is being used to hold a different weapon is no longer wielding the gauntlet, so the doubling ring would not apply. It’d work fine if your goal is a dueling stance/freehand fighter (or Swashbuckler!) using 1 handed weapons and keeping one free for Athletics/Maneuvers/Dueling Parry

Your GM could rule differently, or you could homebrew up some other similar magic item to invest to allow for one set of runes to work for multiple weapons; there are a handful of examples that all work slightly differently to give you some ideas of how such a thing ought to work; in general, it seems like the lines in the sand the game draws are:

One handed weapons only. If both weapons aren’t being wielded at once, the item should apply to specific weapons chosen ahead of time. Property runes can’t be copied until level 13 or so, give or take.

Single weapon only for a fun build feels pretty doable. For folks with pathbuilder, here's where I'm thinking of starting. https://pathbuilder2e.com/launch.html?build=324252

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

LaSquida posted:

Shifting runes let you change your weapon into any other weapon for one action. They're really cool!

Paladins of the sword get them for free. But they could be really cool for a fighter too..shift that bastard sword into a halberd. Or a sword into a dwarven waraxe.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 13, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I wouldn't want to be a multi-weapon type fighter without mauler and 2-handers. A ton of the fighter's power is tied up in being +2 over everyone else and if you are throwing that away you should be another martial. Maybe a ranger or swashbuckler.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
There are a couple other ways to extend your Fighter proficiency to other weapon groups too, like the Weapon Familiarity and Weapon Expertise feats from ancestries. That's pretty clutch for being a weapon-and-shield Fighter, as you'd need to wield two shields otherwise to not dip below your maximum proficiency.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Got all excited about the special buff food in the Treasure Archive, until I realized you have to actually have Alchemical Crafting it looks like.
Was hoping Cooking Lore would work, conceivably could in a homegame, but, probably won't be the case in PFS.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Government Handjob posted:

We're nearing level 2 and are considering running with the pregen characters for one of the followup modules to keep it simple while we're learning the ropes, so I'm gonna have to decide what feature to get for the rogue.

Are you talking about "Twin Feint" and "Underhanded Assault"?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Are you talking about "Twin Feint" and "Underhanded Assault"?

Twin Feint is something else. It lets you strike with main hand, then make a 2nd strike with off-hand, and the target is flat-footed for that 2nd strike.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

Twin Feint is something else. It lets you strike with main hand, then make a 2nd strike with off-hand, and the target is flat-footed for that 2nd strike.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out what level 2 feats (I assume level 2) the other poster is talking about.

Since I think the only move and strike feat is 'Skirmish Strike' at level 6, but that's step not stride, and lowering MAP on second attack no clue.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah, this is a Bad Idea tbh.

The player should probably want to do this (and many do!), and it's cool and fun when the right idea comes to mind and you should encourage that and if they come up with a real good one, give them a hero point, but sometimes you've got nothing and you just wanna throw your D20 and see if you land the will debuff and that ought to be perfectly okay as well.

I'd end up just making a list of insults from Monkey Island and more or less randomly picking one. Worst case I tell them that they fight like a dairy farmer.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah just write 'em down like Spider-Man

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

LaSquida posted:

One thing that may or may not matter depending on your GM is that weapons can be heavy especially if you're rocking two hand weapons. My ranger had to trade in his longbow for a shortbow mostly to save on bulk since range is not his primary weapon. It is handy to have every damage type covered though. My main weapon is a bastard sword and I bought a spiked gauntlet and a regular gauntlet so I have all three physical damage types covered.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Are PCs not supposed to inherit all the traits of their ancestry? Poppet has the Construct trait, but it's clearly not designed to get all the immunities that come with it, as its ancestry feature Constructed and e.g. ancestry feat Wash Out both imply that it doesn't get the complete immunity to poison that Constructs do. Same with Skeleton receiving basic undead benefits instead of the full Undead tag.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

GetDunked posted:

Are PCs not supposed to inherit all the traits of their ancestry? Poppet has the Construct trait, but it's clearly not designed to get all the immunities that come with it, as its ancestry feature Constructed and e.g. ancestry feat Wash Out both imply that it doesn't get the complete immunity to poison that Constructs do. Same with Skeleton receiving basic undead benefits instead of the full Undead tag.

If you scroll down to mechanics https://2e.aonprd.com/Ancestries.aspx?ID=49 in the poppet entry, they get those benefits from being constructed.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I think the point is that a Poppet is resistant to poison etc whereas the Construct trait suggests a poppet would be immune.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think they get partial traits at best just so they fit in more as PCs.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

afaik hey get whatever is listed mechanically in their ancestry entry, not what is implied by the tags. Skeletons only get Basic Undead Traits because they're listed in the entry itself and explicitly granted.