Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

American McGay posted:

You're mad as hell dude. Just fuming lmfao.

Yes!! Mad that there are so many wrong people on the Internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t even know why people are desperate to say prime isn’t a FPS.

Is it because they don’t like FPS generally and don’t want a game they like associated with them?

Because that would be stupid

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I was trying to encourage someone who doesn't like console FPSes to play it by changing their expectations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Question: Is Valkyria Chronicles an FPS?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yep, this would be the perfect balance.

I've barely played MP2 or 3, and I know this might seem like a silly question, but are they as Metroidvania as Prime 1, or do the drop the Samus-ball?

They're more Metroid Prime. I actually liked 2 the best of the three, but they're all incredibly solid. 2 and 3 are a bit more plot heavy. In 2 there's an actual living friendly NPC who gives you story objectives from time to time.

3 has you interact with a few fellow bounty hunters with different powers, and some of the Federation people, which I thought was neat. It's a little more gimmicky, with some moves you have to waggle the nunchuk to do, and such. It is a Wii game, after all.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Most of the time you can just skip them and keep moving on. They take long enough to spawn you shouldn't even see them, unless you're in the statue room and need to actually do something with the statue.

That's the room, I hate that room. Everywhere else they're fine

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I do believe I'm having more fun playing Metroid Prime now than I did back in 2002.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AlternateNu posted:

Question: Is Valkyria Chronicles an FPS?

Yes.

As is Pokemon Snap.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I do believe I'm having more fun playing Metroid Prime now than I did back in 2002.
Having just played through PrimeHack a few months ago, the game does really benefit from having modernized controls.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Funky Valentine posted:

Yes.

As is Pokemon Snap.

Etrian Odyssey Origins is up for pre-order if you need to get your FPS fix.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Commander Keene posted:

Having just played through PrimeHack a few months ago, the game does really benefit from having modernized controls.

That's how I'm currently playing it, the release of the remaster got me all interested, so I'm playing the trilogy.

It's SO good.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol merry-o brothers

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Metroid Prime isn’t an FPS on GameCube because you shoot with a face button

It is an FPS on Switch tho, unless you still use the A button, like a psycho

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Next up is Time on Frog Island.

:hfive: Hell yeah, I'm playing this right now too.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

we're gonna have to wait like a year for the next remaster, aren't we?

really wish this had been released as a trilogy!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're not doing any of the other ones. They're working on Metroid Prime 4. If you want to play Trilogy then dig out your WiiU.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

AndrewP posted:

we're gonna have to wait like a year for the next remaster, aren't we?

really wish this had been released as a trilogy!

And then another year after that for 3, and then - finally - Metroid Prime 4 as a launch title for Switch 1.5 in 2026!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I was always of the opinion that Metroid Prime was not really categorically an FPS more than an action adventure title that is in the first person. The emphasis was on exploration and scanning and poo poo and the combat largely functioned by way of locking on and dodging while doing so, kinda like Zelda with projectiles.

I think it’s disingenuous to call it a FPS because it certainly doesn’t play like the kind of game that term evokes.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Maybe you should have a wider understanding of FPS games you bigoted rear end in a top hat. It's not my job to educate you on the genre.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Beat Prime! Man, I was so close to dying at that final boss, too :ohdear: I was on my second to last energy tank. I just barely made it out of there alive haha

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

American McGay posted:

Maybe you should have a wider understanding of FPS games you bigoted rear end in a top hat. It's not my job to educate you on the genre.

I don’t think I asked you to, but thanks for the weirdly hostile reply

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I remember reading about Metroid Prime in Nintendo Power and they did describe it as a First Person Adventure game back then. But it came off as them just trying to make the game sound unique, which I thought was kind of dumb because it can be an FPS and also be a unique type of FPS. It’s not like they created a new genre or anything.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Metroid Prime is as distinct from other FPSes as 2D Metroids are from run-and-gun games. Like, sure, there's plenty of shooting, but that isn't the focus, and since the actual mechanics of shooting are trivialized by L-targetting it's really distinct from, say, Halo or DOOM even.

In the space of 2D platformers, by the time Super Metroid came about and really solidified the search action/exploratory platformer/"Metroidvania" genre, platformers in general were diverse enough that folks could appreciate the nuances of Metroid over, say, Contra. But since most FPSes by the time of Metroid Prime really fit into a model originating from Wolfenstein/DOOM, it wasn't immediately obvious that Metroid was trying to do something distinctly different in the first-person perspective.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 13, 2023

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

If we're arguing about FPS games, what is Maken X (Dreamcast)?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's the room, I hate that room. Everywhere else they're fine
I think by the second time you need to go in there you have the x-ray visor which really helps. But yeah, the ghosts are awful.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Is Daggerfall a FPS? What are we qualifying shooters as? I can shoot a fireball in Daggerfall in first person therefore

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

American McGay posted:

They're not doing any of the other ones. They're working on Metroid Prime 4. If you want to play Trilogy then dig out your Steam Deck.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I hate Magmoor Caverns. It has the worst music in the game and there’s nothing interesting there. It’s just an annoying stretch you have to cross over and over again to get back and forth between other regions. Plus there are so many things you have to wait for and it’s just so slow to traverse.

Otherwise Prime is great.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

American McGay posted:

I could see Echoes getting a remaster made mostly by Iron Galaxy, with maybe a bit of support by Retro.
Hard to see Corruption getting one though, you would have to rebuild a lot of the core gameplay from scratch because of the whole "no Wiimote wagglin''' poo poo.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 13, 2023

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I could see Echoes getting a remaster made mostly by Iron Galaxy, with made a bit of support by Retro.
Hard to see Corruption getting one though, you would have to rebuild a lot of the core gameplay from scratch because of the whole "no Wiimote wagglin''' poo poo.

nintendo was already able to do it with skyward sword

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Again, PrimeHack makes MP3 entirely playable with dual-stick+occasional gyro aim controls so there's no reason it couldn't be done by a professional studio if a handful of hobbyists without access to source code got it done.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

none of you gently caress heads better enter this sweepstakes contest, that samus hoodie is mine

https://my.nintendo.com/news/fb2395d408c2465e

If I win you can have the hoodie, I just want the art print. None of it is life-changing but what the hell, there's nothing else I can do with these :airquote: reward :airquote: points anyway

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Prophet of Nixon posted:

fps

first person sword

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

American McGay posted:

They're not doing any of the other ones. They're working on Metroid Prime 4. If you want to play Trilogy then dig out your WiiU.

why wouldn’t they, they need some games in the intervening years before mp4 drops in 2026

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Soul Glo posted:

fps

first person sword

I thought that was King's Field

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

here's my take: they're all FPS, but FPS is not a genre :smug:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

e: /\/\/\ :argh: /\/\/\

I thought that was King's Field

it’s a genre, you can have multiple games in there!!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Prophet of Nixon posted:

It’s bad is what it is

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is it because they don’t like FPS generally and don’t want a game they like associated with them?

Because that would be stupid

It's because a lot of people use genre categories to concisely describe a game, and in Metroid Prime's case it's so different from most FPS that the label is a useless or inaccurate descriptor. Saying it's a FPS does not communicate the experience of playing through the game, even if it is correct to say you Shoot in First Person.

Like you could win a high school debate to call Metroid Prime a FPS on semantic grounds, but to describe the game to someone who knew nothing about it you would then have to add so many qualifiers that it's pointless to insist on the initial label in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

is Prey (2017) an FPS? I say... yes

but so is Wolf 3D so I guess that doesn't say a whole lot about the game!