Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

He's not even going to lose a million, he'll just submit the insurance claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jonny Nox posted:

I just feel like the kind of person who spends a million on a boat probably doesn’t care if he loses a million here or there.

That's assuming the boat was a wise use of money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Boats are probably right after medical bills in causes of bankruptcy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

He's not even going to lose a million, he'll just submit the insurance claim.

A lot of boating insurance is really sticky about hull loss due to poor navigation or boating skills. So he may still lose it. Never doubt an insurance companies willingness to wiggle out of paying you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of boating insurance is really sticky about hull loss due to poor navigation or boating skills. So he may still lose it. Never doubt an insurance companies willingness to wiggle out of paying you.

Good lord this, and not just boats.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Good lord this, and not just boats.

Hell my experience is that even with cut and dry stuff it'll most often take a call to the State AG's office to kick the insurance dickheads into gear and payout properly. (Two out of Three isn't a large sample size but gently caress me, insurance folks are the real crooks)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

That boat was already fuxxored, and

He's just the diver that attached the rig and likely determined where to do so. *He* definitely knew it was holed already. At that point it's just "get this junk off of the rocks."

Yeah, that's definitely a salvage guy. The boat's been gone through, the outboards are gone and I'm sure anything else worth saving was stripped out. The whole starboard side is gone, probably from slamming into the rocks for a few days.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Wait, no poo poo? You can spend a million dollars on a RIB that doesn't have 900k stuffed in the seats?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

glyph posted:

Wait, no poo poo? You can spend a million dollars on a RIB that doesn't have 900k stuffed in the seats?

Hooo boy you need to come boat shopping in Fort Lauderdale.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But Hyundais are supposed to be good cars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw54i8Ke5TM

You think the owners would be smart enough to top off the oil before making a claim with the dealer lol

But people are dumb, and he's right about EVs, this is why they will get more popular with people that refuse to do maintenance to their vehicles

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Adding oil wouldn't have helped with the warranty claim - Hyundai will deny you if you cant provide a full service history.

The problem is a combination of overly long service intervals, the tendency of that engine to use a lot of oil as it ages (<1qt / 1000 miles is normal), no oil level indicator and the fact they always sound like a clattery pile of crap even when they're running fine.

I have a 2015 2.0T with about 145,000km so I'm into the danger zone. It does use some oil, maybe 1l / 3000km depending on usage so it'd definitely run dry if I followed the 15,000km change interval without top ups.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It sounds like the problem is that's it's a garbage motor, that's why engine shops are refusing to rebuild them.

Also like he said, kinda telling when the dealer says to trash the core cuz they don't even want it on exchange for a new long block.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
It'll end up in a pile out back like when Hyundai had to warrenty all those CVTs

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dissss posted:

…no oil level indicator…

:stonklol:

They don’t even have a “You’re Having an Expensive Afternoon” light?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MrYenko posted:

:stonklol:

They don’t even have a “You’re Having an Expensive Afternoon” light?

Oh I'm sure they have an oil pressure light, AKA the "you're hosed" light, but no "low oil level" light like some others.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

For a couple years, I would pull over and add oil to my Ranger every time the "CHECK GAUGE" light would blink, and the oil pressure would swing to 0 when I was making a sharp right-hand turn.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Elviscat posted:

For a couple years, I would pull over and add oil to my Ranger every time the "CHECK GAUGE" light would blink, and the oil pressure would swing to 0 when I was making a sharp right-hand turn.

But what did you do after the first 10,000 miles?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

But what did you do after the first 10,000 miles?

Oh man, the knowing laugh of a Ranger owner

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Elviscat posted:

the oil pressure would swing to 0 when I was making a sharp right-hand turn.

apparently this happens to all lamborghini miuras too (or maybe it is a left turn)

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
My 2017 Ford Focus was burning around 1L of oil every 400mi and it ran perfectly fine until the low oil pressure light came on, which would happen about 30 seconds before the OH poo poo blinking check engine light came on.

This all happened for the very first time like 2 weeks after I bought the car. I took it right back to the dealership and they were all "oh it's just the GIBBERISH sensor and also you were a little low on oil so we topped you off. You owe us $1000 for doing nothing." That happened 3 different times.

Then my transmission exploded on a 4 day trip that turned into a 9 day trip while I waited for them to get a new one, under warranty, without them giving me a rental car so me and my ex sat in a hotel for 4 days.

Then the oil burning thing became like 1L every 200mi and the dealership swapped out the entire long block. 6ish months later now, the transmission is showing signs of eating poo poo again and I'm about to drive from California to Virginia next Saturday.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
So I remember the jokes about the oil change schedule on VW TDIs being like owning a two-stroke Trabant.

Is that level of oil usage just normal for everyone now?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Large Testicles posted:

My 2017 Ford Focus

transmission is showing signs of eating poo poo again and I'm about to drive from California to Virginia next Saturday.

Good ol' Powershit, er, Powershift transmission. Dump it while it still moves under its own power.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

STR posted:

Good ol' Powershit, er, Powershift transmission. Dump it while it still moves under its own power.

Tough but fair.

https://i.imgur.com/wZDgmK3.mp4

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Groda posted:

So I remember the jokes about the oil change schedule on VW TDIs being like owning a two-stroke Trabant.
I had 330k+ miles on my 2000 TDI and did an oil change every 10k miles, never had issues with oil consumption over that duration. Might have burned a 1/2L at most but I always overfilled by 1/4L. That was a good car.

Cayman goes through about 1L over 5k miles but the AOS is on the way out so that'll increase until I replace it.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I just bought a Mini with a 2.0L BMW engine, which has no dipstick. If you want to know how much oil it has, you get to traipse through menus where it reminds you to be parked on level ground and not to touch anything while it performs its measurements:

I'm kinda split on this because I know the normal target market for BMW/Mini probably has zero interest in checking the dipstick (or even opening the hood) so having an option in the infotainment system is probably helpful... of course, they're probably just as likely to never go in there too so?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

And I thought my Lexry was being snooty by not having a transmission dipstick. Checking the ATF level is a bit of a pain (need a scan tool to verify ATF temp); pretty sure it's never been changed either.

It has both an oil dipstick and an oil level sensor, but it only tells you if the oil level falls below the sensor. But most of the engine bay is hidden under plastic anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

Dump it while it still moves under its own power.

This. Thank god Ford doesn't have any Mavericks in stock because I probably would have bought one and regretted it at the first warranty claim.

STR posted:

But most of the engine bay is hidden under plastic anyway.

Just take it all out, that's what I did to our LS. When my wife took it to the dealer for service the techs flipped out like it was a big deal lol

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpyjw6eD6C1r0uzl6_720.mp4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Beautiful.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well that was quite the spectacular failure, love it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

I had 330k+ miles on my 2000 TDI and did an oil change every 10k miles, never had issues with oil consumption over that duration. Might have burned a 1/2L at most but I always overfilled by 1/4L. That was a good car.

Cayman goes through about 1L over 5k miles but the AOS is on the way out so that'll increase until I replace it.

I've seen high consumption TDIs but it's usually because they used the wrong oil for too long and the rings no longer sealed well.

Most TDI failures are because the owner didn't understand they require more care than a Gas car.

The Lada, like some Marine worms, sheds it's internals in self defense, but do not worry it will regrow them.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 13, 2023

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

sarcastx posted:

I just bought a Mini with a 2.0L BMW engine, which has no dipstick. If you want to know how much oil it has, you get to traipse through menus where it reminds you to be parked on level ground and not to touch anything while it performs its measurements:

I'm kinda split on this because I know the normal target market for BMW/Mini probably has zero interest in checking the dipstick (or even opening the hood) so having an option in the infotainment system is probably helpful... of course, they're probably just as likely to never go in there too so?

BMWs havent come with dipsticks for a long while now, but what they do come with is a bunch of maintenance reminders urging you to your dealership.
At least they actually tell you whats wrong though.

E: on basic things
VANOS/magic sauce failures just get a general "go buy your dealership a case of wine and prime beef"

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 13, 2023

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Elviscat posted:

My T-Bird did the same thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Elviscat posted:

My brand new work issued 2023 Silverado with the 2.7 Turbo (still can't wrap my head around a 4 cyl full size), the oil pressure gets to the bottom of the pressure gauge at low RPM. Coworkers does the same thing, so I guess it's normal. The warning light does not come on though but I was a little concerned when I first saw it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I overfill the K24 in the BRZ by a quart because it drops oil pressure from the 80psi area to 20psi under trail braking even with a bunch of baffling in the pan. Probably not a big deal but still annoying.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's really impressive.

edit:

sarcastx posted:

I'm very OK with the electronic measurement, but in addition to the dipstick.
Having just the digital method seems ill advised.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

I overfill the K24 in the BRZ by a quart because it drops oil pressure from the 80psi area to 20psi under trail braking even with a bunch of baffling in the pan. Probably not a big deal but still annoying.

Time for dry sump :getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

Time for dry sump :getin:

moneyfire, love it :)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ahh yes the sound of ejaculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

moneyfire, love it :)

Speaking of dry sumps: Our lemons team put the H27 V6 from a Grand Vitara (with cams from an H25 because they’re meant for higher revs) into our Starlet. We’ve so far blown up two during races. Smarter folks would ditch this engine for a better one. We chose a used dry sump from eBay (from an old nascar engine?) and perhaps some custom pistons. Money fires are the best.