Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Wondering why Logan would ever need a flashlight. Beyond that, the art is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

Wondering why Logan would ever need a flashlight. Beyond that, the art is very good
I'm guessing it's a canister he's stealing, though with that text box maybe it's a fleshlight.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
does logan have night vision

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah Logan would need flashlights in situations. He has good senses, but not like Daredevil to where he could operate in total darkness.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He can fight in total darkness, navigating might be a different matter.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
He can navigate by smell, he can smell in 3d

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Flesh Forge posted:

He can navigate by smell, he can smell in 3d

I mean, he's got two nostrils.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I mean, he's got two nostrils.

Two nostrils is only two Ds

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Two nostrils is only two Ds

His nostrils are at slightly different heights to get the z axis measurement

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If nostrils help his smell then why did he lose his nose when he devolved?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

If nostrils help his smell then why did he lose his nose when he devolved?

That Wolverine's got no nose, how does he smell?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Selachian posted:

Like an unwashed animal.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
if he's doing something like breaking into an office to read secret files he'd still need a light source

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The panel that started this discussion is from a comic book (Marvel Knights Spider-Man/Wolverine #2) where he breaks into a place under cover of complete darkness to steal incriminating documents that he places into a cylindrical cannister.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Selachian posted:

like Labatt's and poutine farts

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if we are supposed to post webcomics here, but I adore this page from Dicebox:

Anyway, the first half of the comic has been published as a print book, so it counts as a comic book, even if the panel above is from the second, online-only, book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Webcomics are totally fine!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
So the art by Eder Messias in Spider-Man: The Lost Hunt is mostly good but this elephant is, uh

Elephant teeth do not work like that! At all!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/thealexrossart/status/1627171771785805824?s=20

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I don't think this got posted already, but the webcomic Kill Six Billion Demons had its second big flashy title drop page a couple months ago, almost eight years after the first one.

Feb. 12th, 2015, when the name of the heir to the king of all creation is first mentioned:

And Dec. 16th, 2022, when the heir to the king of all creation finally gets formally introduced:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
ksbd owns

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/JorgeJimenezArt/status/1628457652295442432

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I was browsing Jimenez's instagram last night and the man is built like a superhero, so no wonder he uses himself as a reference.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah ngl that is one good looking dude right there

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

The very first comics I ever got into as a wee lad were Gold Key's Magnus Robot Fighter, and I still love the old school pulp-novel look of their painted covers. Not sure who the uncredited artists were; the inside work was all done by Russ Manning, but these aren't his style. Anyway, it was the cover art that really drew me in.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 25, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Esplanade posted:

The very first comics I ever got into as a wee lad were Gold Key's Magnus Robot Fighter, and I still love the old school pulp-novel look of their painted covers. Not sure who the uncredited artists were; the inside work was all done by Russ Manning, but these aren't his style. Anyway, it was the cover art that really drew me in.

That's George Wilson, a regular cover artist for Gold Key. Funny coincidence - the first comic I ever bought for myself was an issue of Doctor Solar: Man of the Atom, also with a cover by Wilson.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I had that last issue of Magnus ("Fear Unlimited!") as a little fellow, along with various other Gold Key offerings my dad had picked up. Gold Key had such an interesting design/branding that made it stand out- this Solar cover and logo are both top tier poo poo.

Boris Karloff's Tales of Mystery scared the pants off of me as a kid, despite how simple they are looking back at them now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I love how Magnus Robot Fighter's robot fighting is by doing karate chops.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

muscles like this! posted:

In the year 4000, all robots rule the earth but their one weakness is the ancient art of kung fu.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

this is bad rear end

Reminds me of Steranko and Sienkiewicz

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

this is bad rear end

Reminds me of Steranko and Sienkiewicz

Doctor Solar was just an incredibly good book for its time. It debuted a few months after the Hulk and took his origin - brilliant physicist gains superpowers that turn him green through atomic accident - but took the opposite direction that Solar uses his knowledge to get the most out of his energy manipulation powers and also to protect people from the inherent danger of his radioactive body. It was thus a somewhat educational book as well as an action story. Solar also originally didn't wear a costume.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I had that last issue of Magnus ("Fear Unlimited!") as a little fellow, along with various other Gold Key offerings my dad had picked up. Gold Key had such an interesting design/branding that made it stand out- this Solar cover and logo are both top tier poo poo.

Yeah, at first glance they look like a pulp magazine or paperback. It's a style I really like and you don't see too often, so it's neat that they did it for almost their entire line.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Big fan of the far future where we don't need to where pants due to global warming, and we all get to karate chop dumb rear end gold and tin foil robots

Man that's some fun art

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Another case where the layout is so weird I'm not sure what the artist was going for, but all I can see in that second panel is :pwn:

Green Lantern Corps #35, Patrick Gleason

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Esplanade posted:

Another case where the layout is so weird I'm not sure what the artist was going for, but all I can see in that second panel is :pwn:

its a side-profile shot of the old man and then a 3/4 profile shot of the young guy with the black and green eyes standing right behind/to the side of him but i feel like he started drawing it with the old man and then realized he had less panel space than he thought when drawing the young guy

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Alaois posted:

its a side-profile shot of the old man and then a 3/4 profile shot of the young guy with the black and green eyes standing right behind/to the side of him but i feel like he started drawing it with the old man and then realized he had less panel space than he thought when drawing the young guy

Then you slip sheet it and recompose the panel. I know they're supposed to be whispering up close but there's still a hundred rather easy ways to fix this. Even some color variation would help.

PLus, there's no reason for the huge eyeball. Christ, I thought it was a Liefeld laser eye guy or something.

This looks like Two Face. Plus I agree that it looks like Gleason drew himself into a corner but that should be solved at the thumbnail stage. I smell a deadline at work here.

Also, speaking of coloring, this is an example of what I hate about modern digital airbrushing: everything looks like an inflated balloon. I've always thought that the pencils and inks should do the heavy lifting and that the color should be used more to invoke mood, setting and lighting, which I guess they tried here since it's, what? A cave? The palette is OK but the application sucks.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, I get that it's a stylistic choice and all, but I found the heavy inks and colors in that series really offputting. Everyone seemed to have this unpleasant greasy sheen to them.

Not my cup of tea.

E: I remember an interview with John Byrne back in the 80s where he made the same complaint about Bob Layton's inks.

He then went on to complain that Layton made everyone look gay. Because, well, he's John Byrne.

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 5, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Esplanade posted:

The line weight being the same makes it look like they're at the same depth. I thought that was some weird face too for a moment. Could have been salvaged by making the guy in the background blurry.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Iceman with a black ball cap is a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Should be backwards if he wants to be XTREME