Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

She has an awesome easter egg, spoiling just in case anyone doesn't wanna know it: there are spots where you can summon her with a direwolf nearby and she will ride around on the wolf lol. The wiki suggest it is a bug but Fextralife ain't reliable, I'm sayin it's on purpose

it's less a bug and more that all the spirit ashes are just NPCs with their faction flipped, so the "get on a wolf and start riding around" thing is baked into their behaviour trees as is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

She has an awesome easter egg, spoiling just in case anyone doesn't wanna know it: there are spots where you can summon her with a direwolf nearby and she will ride around on the wolf lol. The wiki suggest it is a bug but Fextralife ain't reliable, I'm sayin it's on purpose

I've read that this doesn't actually change her AI toward the wolf so she'll just magdump into the back of its head while she rides it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eruption is also LOADS of fun, a lot of these Fire ashes of war feel really great on a gigantic rear end weapon

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vermain posted:

it's less a bug and more that all the spirit ashes are just NPCs with their faction flipped, so the "get on a wolf and start riding around" thing is baked into their behaviour trees as is

Also lots of enemies and even some NPCs are coded to have ride hooks, even if they aren't functional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD6kj7icSmw

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I've read that this doesn't actually change her AI toward the wolf so she'll just magdump into the back of its head while she rides it

what a legend

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I love the way this game lets you muddle with mixed crowds. You can also (late late game) cast sleep on one of the sorcerer-ant pairs, and the sorcerer will get woozy and dismount only to feel IMMEDIATE betrayal at the hands of the angry ant. It even has a cute little "wait what where am I??" animation

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Darth Walrus posted:

The useful thing about Ulcerated Tree Spirits is that once you filter out all their mad wriggling, their actual attacks are relatively slow, infrequent, and well-telegraphed. They're easy bait for guard counters, and even their mid-fight nuke attack has a significant telegraph if you know what to look out for. The Tree Spirit coils in on itself into a rough cone shape, then starts glowing before going boom.

Yeah, this is why I don't find them to be too bad. They're big wriggly bastards but they do have actual body language and most of what they do is actually still readable on-screen despite their size. I basically just run up to their unprotected belly from the side and dodge the occasional claw swipe or tail whip while going to town on them. The head slam comes out a bit faster, but it's still telegraphed and you can just...not stand directly under its head. (And if you are in the right spot you can still bait it out and make it leave itself vulnerable for ages afterwards.) The grab is specifically preceded by them squirming away and doing the Midir "I'm about to eat you" roar so it's obvious when that's about to go down. Literally my only issue is that sometimes they can go straight into the nuke fast enough that getting away is a crapshoot (or the equally realistic problem, you're fighting one of the first two in the game where you don't get a lot of space to maneuver and can be backed into a corner). But even in the early game it was never enough to totally wreck me if I ate a hit from it due to over-committing.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Depending on when you stumble into that place, he can go from a sweaty fight to a downright brick wall. You're in a cramped little room and he can hit hard, fast, and at frightening distances. If I recall, the move was too stick on him and get behind him as often as possible, because he has no trouble hitting you anywhere in the room, but you can only melee him from arm's length, so putting space between you only helps him. He took me several tries as well. Good luck, skeleton.

I think what really cranks up the bastardness is that even if you lodge yourself right up his rear end, he'll just bust out the shield slam to punish you that way. It's still better than being anywhere else in the room though.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 13, 2023

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Elemer/Bell Bearing hunters are borderline impossible to deal with at range. The parry route is way easier because they'll almost never use their flying sword bullshit up close. They take 2 parries to stagger, but they'll always have zero poise for first attack after the first parry so it's a free hit.

At melee range, the only unparryable attacks he does are his telegraphed grab, the shield slam, and a 3-hit glowing sword combo that can be dodged into.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Bell-Bearing Hunter isn't actually that awful at range provided you learn the spacing and timing of his telekinetic sword attacks. Several of your spells can outrange him, so (for example) pelting him with lightning is completely viable.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Having a real rough time with Decaying Ekzykes. Can't cheese him with spirit ashes because he just melts em. I seem to do the best on a mount throwing fire incantations at him but he knocks my mount down in one hit most of the time and avoiding his melee attacks on the horse seems tricky. Any good tips? Getting up close and hacking/casting at him doesn't seem to help bc he eventually throws scarlet rot at me even at close range and flame cleanse me leaves me vulnerable at that range

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Having a real rough time with Decaying Ekzykes. Can't cheese him with spirit ashes because he just melts em. I seem to do the best on a mount throwing fire incantations at him but he knocks my mount down in one hit most of the time and avoiding his melee attacks on the horse seems tricky. Any good tips? Getting up close and hacking/casting at him doesn't seem to help bc he eventually throws scarlet rot at me even at close range and flame cleanse me leaves me vulnerable at that range

Boluses on a pouch have a very fast animation, only downside is the cost/time grinding

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Chuck fireballs at him while you're on foot (and aim for his head if possible, because it's a large, vulnerable target), hop on Torrent to avoid his big rot-nuke attack, and then engage him on foot again. Torrent is more of a mobility tool than a fighting platform.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The closer you are to Ekzykes the better because every time a dragon tries to step on you or wing/tail sweep it isn't using it's god drat breath attacks. If you learn to recognize when he's about to breath you can Torrent up and hit da bricks until he comes back down, or even learn hard turn and run timings. Never, ever block a breath, even if you know your roll timing is going to suck.

I fought virtually everything on foot since getting knocked off Torrent feels horrible.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Depending on when you stumble into that place, he can go from a sweaty fight to a downright brick wall. You're in a cramped little room and he can hit hard, fast, and at frightening distances. If I recall, the move was too stick on him and get behind him as often as possible, because he has no trouble hitting you anywhere in the room, but you can only melee him from arm's length, so putting space between you only helps him. He took me several tries as well. Good luck, skeleton.

the big trick is he has a lot of recovery on most of his attacks and combos so if you focus on dodging and stick close you can punish him very frequently

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doomykins posted:

The closer you are to Ekzykes the better because every time a dragon tries to step on you or wing/tail sweep it isn't using it's god drat breath attacks. If you learn to recognize when he's about to breath you can Torrent up and hit da bricks until he comes back down, or even learn hard turn and run timings. Never, ever block a breath, even if you know your roll timing is going to suck.

I fought virtually everything on foot since getting knocked off Torrent feels horrible.

That said, dancing around the ankles of Ekzykes and Borealis specifically is less advisable than usual due to the status effect clouds they create when they stomp. If you have ranged attacks, it's best to stay in front of them and dodge or block their bites and wing swipes.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Ezykes is very susceptible to elemental damage, so spam magic or fireballs. Especially things that shotgun, or drill (like shard spiral)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Ezykes is very susceptible to elemental damage, so spam magic or fireballs. Especially things that shotgun, or drill (like shard spiral)

He's got a massive(ly pathetic) -100 Fire resistance, so Black Flame will straight-up turn him into kindling.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Black Flame spells are good against basically anything since the lingering blackflame damage effect ignores all resistances, but yeah they can be horrifically strong against anything vulnerable to fire. I find that the trick is to not try to use black flame as a nuke - don't trade hits, just stay mobile and opportunistically lob fireballs whenever you have a good chance to do so. The attrition adds up really fast over the course of a fight.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I used black flame a lot in my game I just finished and yeah it owns. It does a lot of damage and you just drill them into the boss as they're distracted by summons and it's so easy. I one shot mohg doing that. He gave me a lot of trouble when the game came out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

I used black flame a lot in my game I just finished and yeah it owns. It does a lot of damage and you just drill them into the boss as they're distracted by summons and it's so easy. I one shot mohg doing that. He gave me a lot of trouble when the game came out.

That's especially wild because both versions of Mohg have 80% fire resistance, making it the single worst element to engage him with.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Sure, but as mentioned, the damage over time completely ignores resistances and is something like 5% of the target's max health irrespective of incant scaling. It absolutely fucks against huge bosses with shitloads of HP.

However: the initial fire damage is also really loving high if you have good incant scaling (especially if you're using the Godslayer's Seal). You can poo poo out some absolutely terrific damage with Black Flame. I'm not sure how one would manage to actually one-shot Mohg with it (I assume that was meant to indicate beating him on the first try, in this case), but it'll very rapidly and extremely severely gently caress up anything that doesn't do well against fire.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's really funny. I did have coded sword and used its skill on him too, but I was mostly scared and kept my distance pelting him. Dung eater whips rear end if anyone wasn't aware.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Darth Walrus posted:

The Bell-Bearing Hunter isn't actually that awful at range provided you learn the spacing and timing of his telekinetic sword attacks. Several of your spells can outrange him, so (for example) pelting him with lightning is completely viable.

Taker's Flames at its max range will knock him down and push him back a bit, making it a solid way of handling him.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also lots of enemies and even some NPCs are coded to have ride hooks, even if they aren't functional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD6kj7icSmw

Wait, the mounted bow and flamethrower weapons are mounts? Is that why you can't backstab an NPC that's using one?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah fighting them with spells at range is actually completely doable, you just need to back up even more if the flying sword can hit you. once he’s in a full flying sword animation that you’re too far away to be hit by, you can freely pour spells into him.

repugnant
Jun 29, 2005

You can only think of me.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'll throw one more strategy on the pile: I kept at range the entire fight to bait out his breath attack. As soon as he starts, gallop toward his left side and you can get in a few hits on his wings/legs, then run the hell away so he breath attacks again. The only thing I had to watch out for is his charge attack. I also stationed Latenna on some of the cliff-side rocks nearby which helped. If you get her far enough back Ekzykes will have a hard time hitting her.

repugnant
Jun 29, 2005

I know some people like to criticize the name choices (Melina, Malenia, etc) but on this play through I found a guy in an evergaol called "Godefroy the Grafted". Stuff like that makes me question how seriously I should be taking this grimdark fantasy hell scape. Is it supposed to be tongue-in-cheek?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been doing a run where I'm trying to get every ending on one character for something to do and I'm up to NG+4 and level 260 or something like that. I have nearly every item, sorcery, and incantation on this character, and I've been respeccing every run. I'm also not very good at the game though I'm getting better (e.g. I did manage to beat Elden Beast on my NG+3 sorcery run without getting hit by EB on the attempt where I was ultimately successful ).

Now for my last two runs through - NG+5 will be Golden Order and NG+6 will be Dung Eater - for kicks I want to try the most broken e-bushidoless builds possible just to see what's what. What should I try?

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I've been doing a run where I'm trying to get every ending on one character for something to do and I'm up to NG+4 and level 260 or something like that. I have nearly every item, sorcery, and incantation on this character, and I've been respeccing every run. I'm also not very good at the game though I'm getting better (e.g. I did manage to beat Elden Beast on my NG+3 sorcery run without getting hit by EB on the attempt where I was ultimately successful ).

Now for my last two runs through - NG+5 will be Golden Order and NG+6 will be Dung Eater - for kicks I want to try the most broken e-bushidoless builds possible just to see what's what. What should I try?

I went out of my way to find Dung Eater in my current/first run, and as soon as he started talking I killed him. I couldn’t help myself, I don’t know if I have it in me to try to get his ending.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

repugnant posted:

I know some people like to criticize the name choices (Melina, Malenia, etc) but on this play through I found a guy in an evergaol called "Godefroy the Grafted". Stuff like that makes me question how seriously I should be taking this grimdark fantasy hell scape. Is it supposed to be tongue-in-cheek?

I'm assuming a lot of similar names are G.R.R. Martin's sole contribution.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BigDumper posted:

I went out of my way to find Dung Eater in my current/first run, and as soon as he started talking I killed him. I couldn’t help myself, I don’t know if I have it in me to try to get his ending.

I don't like him much either but I'll just gut it out. This started because I had the opposite response to Shabriri's speech - I had finished Ranni's quest and was on my way to that ending and he was like "don't burn the girl burn everything instead" :hmmyes: and I decided to run NG+ for frenzied flame. Then on that run I discovered Deeproot for the first time and the ending that starts there ... and we continue like that.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I've been playing with some memory hack plugin to enable widescreen and 144FPS. Accidently started up without and holy poo poo does this game look a lot worse.
Its so lame they didn't implement the option themselves because everything is there, even the cutscenes are rendered in full widescreen and the frame rate is uncapped.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

repugnant posted:

Have you ever watched Game of Thrones

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
All of this was inspired by the English Wars of the Roses, where damned near everyone of any importance was named Richard, Edward, or Henry.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Cripes, fully exploring Leyndell is going to be a bit of a project.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

War of the Roses would've been much better if they'd all had grandiose titles like "Edward the Cosmic Butcher","Henry, Serpentine Zealot" or "Richard Warwick the Kingmaker".

All of which would of course only be elaborated on in item descriptions.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

repugnant posted:

I've never played a Fromsoft game that wasn't joking on some level. They make deadpan slapstick simulators and every other npc quest is some kind of absurdist tragicomedy. But I don't know if dumb name schemes are their specific brand of jokes, so I think it could go either way.

repugnant
Jun 29, 2005

Ragnar34 posted:

I've never played a Fromsoft game that wasn't joking on some level. They make deadpan slapstick simulators and every other npc quest is some kind of absurdist tragicomedy. But I don't know if dumb name schemes are their specific brand of jokes, so I think it could go either way.

My initial reaction to Godrick was "that is bad rear end and way too over the top" and then when he did the thing with the dragon I was like "even badder rear end, even dumber". I loved it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

War of the Roses would've been much better if they'd all had grandiose titles like "Edward the Cosmic Butcher","Henry, Serpentine Zealot" or "Richard Warwick the Kingmaker".

All of which would of course only be elaborated on in item descriptions.

The adds in Henry the Married-Sixfold fight are bullshit, the combat system was never designed to fight that many wives at once :mad:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

No Dignity posted:

The adds in Henry the Married-Sixfold fight are bullshit, the combat system was never designed to fight that many wives at once :mad:

Friendly fire is active in that battle - just let him kill off a few for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i'm realizing that my starting whatever item for incantations kinda sucks even though i think i have it +20

am i correct in that assesment i have like 45 faith to go with it