Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Be fun to see the big labels over the fresh department at the store. BEEF. PORK. CHICKEN. PLANT-BASED. HORRORS OF THE FLESH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

I’d try a faceless one tbone

ew, anything but that, those guys are so blobby. What on earth would be that texture?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Midnight Voyager posted:

ew, anything but that, those guys are so blobby. What on earth would be that texture?

Imagine if you could chew on smoke

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fister Roboto posted:

Eventually someone is going to make synthetic human meat.

Just because you can absolutely means you should

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Ooh poo poo I'm off to invent vegan dolphin, whale, shark fin, eagle, and long pork substitutes and open a restaurant

Vegan veal?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

What is that?

It’s cultist
Have a little cultist

Is it unsettling?

Sir., your ignorance will be missed
Then again their habits are vile

So it’s pretty mild
It has an oily sheen

Its habits were unclean

Haven’t you got mi-go or something like that?

No the problem with mi-go
is the secrets that they know
Eat cultist

(yes, I know the meter is garbo)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mds2 posted:

Vegan veal?

Nah, veal is still available in enough restaurants that it's not quite as taboo yet. But maybe I should start formulating it along with foie gras just to be safe.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

Be fun to see the big labels over the fresh department at the store. BEEF. PORK. CHICKEN. PLANT-BASED. HORRORS OF THE FLESH.

PROTIEN FROM THE SEA!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mushrooms are already kind of horrific tbh.

Delicious, but horrific.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

Imagine if you could chew on smoke

we get it, you vape

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big fan of following the Super Bowl on the enforced twitter timeline. Currently seeing stuff about the anthem in the third quarter, and looking forward to seeing people’s tweets of ‘nice catch!’ at some point on Wednesday.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kei Technical posted:

What is that?

It’s cultist
Have a little cultist

Is it unsettling?

Sir., your ignorance will be missed
Then again their habits are vile

So it’s pretty mild
It has an oily sheen

Its habits were unclean

Haven’t you got mi-go or something like that?

No the problem with mi-go
is the secrets that they know
Eat cultist

(yes, I know the meter is garbo)

I appreciated it anyway

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Ooh poo poo I'm off to invent vegan dolphin, whale, shark fin, eagle, and long pork substitutes and open a restaurant

I've seen vegan shark fin. There's a kosher dim sum place in Chinatown NYC does some interesting fake meats.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Fister Roboto posted:

it’s much much cheaper to just pretend it’s synthetic

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

OwlFancier posted:

Some of those are quite nice too, you can make very passable vegan doner meat.

It probably varies depending on who made the fake meat, but I find fake beef mince actually works better than real beef mince for bolognese sauce. It absorbs the tomato really well.

Of course, fake mince is probably easier to get right than something more solid; don't exactly have to worry about texture nearly as much.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Something about imitation crab makes it so much more palatable to me than real crab.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

grittyreboot posted:

Something about imitation crab makes it so much more palatable to me than real crab.

the sweet taste of crab freedom :yeeclaw:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shoggoth burgers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ror posted:

the sweet taste of crab freedom :yeeclaw:

Most imitation crab contains small amounts of crab

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Microcrabstics...

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Most imitation crab contains small amounts of crab

The local legend sketchy and illegal diy method is to can regular neutral whitefish, and crush undersized or soft shelled crab into the jars with the fish. Apparently this imbues everything with crab flavour.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There is some imitation crab that contains no crab, but it will be specifically labeled as such. Imitation crab wasn't originally made for vegetarians, or people with allergies or keeping kosher, it was made to be a cheaper alternative to the pure thing. I only know this because I have a friend that keeps kosher but loves the taste of crab.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

rodbeard posted:

I've seen vegan shark fin. There's a kosher dim sum place in Chinatown NYC does some interesting fake meats.

There are a lot of very good vegan meat alternatives due to Buddhist influences and various fads around that. Ask for a vegetarian meal in Asia and you'll probably get something with just a little bit of meat. Explain that you are Buddhist and want a temple meal: boom, effectively vegan since milk isn't common. You can do a lot with seitan (mock duck is awesome) and algae (which captures the flavorless jelly-mess of sharkfin very well).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I eat a vegan diet and all the food tastes great, and it's all in a vague way meant to be likened to an animal. Like, Chik Patties or whatever. But they definitely don't taste like what I remember any of the actual meat tasting like. And after all these years, the flavor, as I remember, of meat is distasteful on its own without my added vegan attitudes toward it. Point I'm making, I don't think vegans care all that much that the food they're eating FOOLS EVEN MASTER CHEFS! I just want something that tastes good and has good texture and makes my stomach stop bitching at me.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

vegans love oreos

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Falafel Döner is better than Döner.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

credburn posted:

I eat a vegan diet and all the food tastes great, and it's all in a vague way meant to be likened to an animal. Like, Chik Patties or whatever. But they definitely don't taste like what I remember any of the actual meat tasting like. And after all these years, the flavor, as I remember, of meat is distasteful on its own without my added vegan attitudes toward it. Point I'm making, I don't think vegans care all that much that the food they're eating FOOLS EVEN MASTER CHEFS! I just want something that tastes good and has good texture and makes my stomach stop bitching at me.

This is all correct, but also consider: some people want to be vegetarian/vegan but aren't good cooks. You know all those dishes people put forward as 'good dishes that don't have any meat in them'? Yeah, a bunch of that poo poo's hard to make (even more so when you consider getting the ingredients), especially compared to a lot of the simple meat-based dishes.

Faux-chicken nuggets are tangibly different to chicken nuggets, but you know what's the same? That I can throw them in the oven and have something tasty seven minutes later.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Hummus tastes and feels like humus.
You say that like it's a bad thing? If I had to pick one food to be the only thing I ever got to eat for the rest of my life, hummus would definitely be on the shortlist. I could eat it by the kilogram.

Antigravitas posted:

Falafel Döner is better than Döner.
Now falafel I cannot stand. People tell me I must not have had good falafel, but then they give me some to try and it's exactly the same as all other falafel; barely edible. I'm sure I could choke it down if I were starving, but otherwise no.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BREAKING: Peace in the Middle East as all nations unite in opposition to Tiggum

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Platystemon posted:

BREAKING: Peace in the Middle East as all nations unite in opposition to Tiggum

Not just the Middle East it’s happening worldwide!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Cleretic posted:

This is all correct, but also consider: some people want to be vegetarian/vegan but aren't good cooks. You know all those dishes people put forward as 'good dishes that don't have any meat in them'? Yeah, a bunch of that poo poo's hard to make (even more so when you consider getting the ingredients), especially compared to a lot of the simple meat-based dishes.

Faux-chicken nuggets are tangibly different to chicken nuggets, but you know what's the same? That I can throw them in the oven and have something tasty seven minutes later.

I once saw a recipe for vegan scrambled eggs which utilized eight different ingredients to create a fake scramble and in that moment I realized the futility of pursuit of similarity to existing food

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The ultimate vegan diet is potato chips and a bucket of dietary supplements

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Now falafel I cannot stand. People tell me I must not have had good falafel, but then they give me some to try and it's exactly the same as all other falafel; barely edible. I'm sure I could choke it down if I were starving, but otherwise no.
What in tarnation

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Ravenfood posted:

What in tarnation

He's never had good falafel

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Keeps ordering fail awful and getting it

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

steinrokkan posted:

The ultimate vegan diet is potato chips and a bucket of dietary supplements

You forget that a lot of store bought cake frosting is vegan too. You need something to dip the chips in right?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

I think the purpose of increasingly imitative meat substitutes is less for vegans and more to get meat eaters to cut down on their consumption.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Beans and All

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
These are the best vegan meat item and I will not be taking any arguments. :colbert: I'd eat these drat things by the truckload.

Anyway, for those that missed it, Rihanna performed at the Super Bowl. Nothing particularly racy happened, but the leader of the Hitler Youth is clutching his pearls:
https://twitter.com/RyanAFournier/status/1625123598489755649

Bonus:
https://twitter.com/UncleTuckr/status/1625125945077006342

More for the other thread, but
https://twitter.com/agentgraves13/status/1625169594699681792
:lol: