Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You're talking about putting a tire on? Get a bead jack.

Pedro's are good, but it is the wrong tool for seating a stubborn tire.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

CopperHound posted:

You're talking about putting a tire on? Get a bead jack.

Pedro's are good, but it is the wrong tool for seating a stubborn tire.
Seriously, this right here. I posted about one previously and they're basically magic for mounting any tire.

Edit: Dug out the link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYML7K/

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 10, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Crumps Brother posted:

Seriously, this right here. I posted about one previously and they're basically magic for mounting any tire.

Edit: Dug out the link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYML7K/

i didn't know those existed. If I can find one for anywhere close to that price here in the eurozone imma get one of them. Stupid schwalbe marathon plus hard-rear end tires to mount grumble grump.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Invalido posted:

i didn't know those existed. If I can find one for anywhere close to that price here in the eurozone imma get one of them. Stupid schwalbe marathon plus hard-rear end tires to mount grumble grump.

I know Cykelgear has one, but most of the big German shops probably some something comparable in price as well. You could also order from Ali and wait a month for it to show up.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Yeep posted:

Are Pedros tyre leves still the best option for portable levers? I've broken 2 lezyne and all the cheap levers that came with my no-name toolkit (and pinch flatted two tubes) trying to get get tyres on the second hand DT Swiss MTB wheels I bought.

Is there a better option than levers for keeping in my workshop? Facebook shows me lots of adverts for fancy looking bits of plastic but I've no idea if they're actually worth it.

Pedro's are still the best levers. They have micro levers as well. They specifically snap around the edges of their own multitool: https://pedros.com/collections/multitools/products/rx-micro-21-multitool

I'll confess to never having used a beadjack. Standing over a wheel+tire, grabbing the bead at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock, pulling out and down has almost always worked enough slack toward the bottom of the tire. The beadjack will of course make things even easier, but just using all the other manual tricks gets the job done most of the time.

An exception would be installing foam noodles into a narrow road tire, narrow road rim combo. I had to use some of the bits from Vittoria's Air Liner install kit to finish mounting my GP5Ks + noodles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The thought of standing on my wheel to fit a tire makes a little vomit come up ngl

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I don't think that's what THY meant, or am I missing something?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Lex Neville posted:

I don't think that's what THY meant, or am I missing something?

I said standing over, not standing on, correct.

Like resting the wheel on the tops of my feet or on a rug and bending at the waist. Then I grab the bead at 4-5 and 7-8 and push the slack toward the bottom.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
yeah, I figured as much. I do the same, but I'm intrigued by that tool, as 5K S TRs absolutely ruined my index fingers and thumbs last time

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TobinHatesYou posted:

Pedro's are still the best levers. They have micro levers as well. They specifically snap around the edges of their own multitool: https://pedros.com/collections/multitools/products/rx-micro-21-multitool

Looks nice, maybe better tolerances than the Topeak Hexus X, whose levers are so so, but certainly useable roadside. I'm switch if one of mine breaks.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

yeah, I figured as much. I do the same, but I'm intrigued by that tool, as 5K S TRs absolutely ruined my index fingers and thumbs last time

https://www.futurumshop.nl/bbb-easytire-btl-78-bandenoplegger-zwart.phtml

This thing has made all tyre installations (including 5K S TR's) so much easier for me. I can get it done normally but it just makes it a really simple job.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Cheers!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Slavvy posted:

The thought of standing on my wheel to fit a tire makes a little vomit come up ngl
I've stood on my wheel to mount a tire. Still not as bad as what a lot of people do with tire levers.

It was a new tire & tubeless rim combo. I just stepped on the side of it to get that last little bit over the edge.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
This may shock some people: your wheels are actually designed and built to bear your weight. You can stand on a properly made wheel.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SimonSays posted:

This may shock some people: your wheels are actually designed and built to bear your weight. You can stand on a properly made wheel.
I don't think things always have the same strength in all directions

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

mystes posted:

I don't think things always have the same strength in all directions

No indeed, but I've stood on wheels sideways to make sure I'd made them properly.

Party trick may not apply if the wheel is old and busted, or built barely strong enough.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SimonSays posted:

No indeed, but I've stood on wheels sideways to make sure I'd made them properly.

Like on the rim and having one end of the hub standing on the ground?

Regardless, I don’t think standing vertically on the bare rim is the same as one supported by an inflated tire. I’m sure it’s usually fine, but quite different stresses.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 11, 2023

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

All the tire tube patch kits i've used work like poo poo, and the tubes continue to slowly leak air.

My inflatable air mattress sprung two leaks in tricky areas over a felt material, and I used some flex tape and it stopped those leaks dead.

It is so sticky that I had a hard time getting the scissors off of it after cutting it.

I'm guessing the flex tape is too thick to use for road bike tire tubes. Is there tape that's equally as sticky, but thinner?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Like on the rim and having one end of the hub standing on the ground?

Regardless, I don’t think standing vertically on the bare rim is the same as one supported by an inflated tire. I’m sure it’s usually fine, but quite different stresses.

Yes, like that. Each spoke is tensioned to about 110kg. Wire wheels are wicked strong for their weight, that's why we've been using them for 130 years on safety bicycles! Wheels are neat, everyone with an interest should read Jobst's book.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SimonSays posted:

Yes, like that. Each spoke is tensioned to about 110kg.
You need more info to know how much the bottom side spokes are getting detensioned, right? Like bracing angle and the spoke’s Young’s modulus.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

You need more info to know how much the bottom side spokes are getting detensioned, right? Like bracing angle and the spoke’s Young’s modulus.

Frankly the party trick relies on how overbuilt most bicycle wheels are, with a massive safety margin. Don't try it on a lightweight racing wheel which tries to pare everything down to the minimum strength to get through a racing season

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

ChocNitty posted:

All the tire tube patch kits i've used work like poo poo, and the tubes continue to slowly leak air.
Have you tried bubble testing a newly patched tube to verify that it's actually the patch that's leaking though? If so I can't help but wonder if your technique is off somehow. If done correctly an uncomplicated patch normally doesn't leak at all (until it fails after 3000km or riding when there are two newer patches on the same tube at which point the tube gets thrown away).

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

My inflatable air mattress sprung two leaks in tricky areas over a felt material, and I used some flex tape and it stopped those leaks dead.

It is so sticky that I had a hard time getting the scissors off of it after cutting it.

I'm guessing the flex tape is too thick to use for road bike tire tubes. Is there tape that's equally as sticky, but thinner?

Are you using glue-on style patches like these?

Or glueless ones like these?

Because the stick on ones are really just good to get you home. The glue on ones are pretty bulletproof and permenant.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

SimonSays posted:

Frankly the party trick relies on how overbuilt most bicycle wheels are, with a massive safety margin. Don't try it on a lightweight racing wheel which tries to pare everything down to the minimum strength to get through a racing season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ7dtrRrSTg

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Now THAT's a trick

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Bill Mould! I had a wheel building session with him a few years back. Nice guy, and knows his stuff, certainly the wheels came out really good.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
I'm most of the way through a cheap, second hand upgrade to 1x11 on my old mountain bike but I'm having trouble with the SLX 11 speed shifter. I can't position it on the bars in a way that it doesn't catch on my bar grips when I push the levers. My grips are these (https://www.raceface.com/products/half-nelson-grip?variant=31963013414994) which claim to be low profile. A quick Google says the SLX shifters are just tight like that and to move them closer to the stem until they don't catch but if I do that I won't be able to reach them with my thumbs. Do I just need to give up and find a different shifter?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Yeep posted:

I'm most of the way through a cheap, second hand upgrade to 1x11 on my old mountain bike but I'm having trouble with the SLX 11 speed shifter. I can't position it on the bars in a way that it doesn't catch on my bar grips when I push the levers. My grips are these (https://www.raceface.com/products/half-nelson-grip?variant=31963013414994) which claim to be low profile. A quick Google says the SLX shifters are just tight like that and to move them closer to the stem until they don't catch but if I do that I won't be able to reach them with my thumbs. Do I just need to give up and find a different shifter?

Is your handlebar curved or something? Your grips don’t look insanely thick or anything, surely this would’ve come up for more people?

Post a photo of your setup please.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

wooger posted:

Is your handlebar curved or something? Your grips don’t look insanely thick or anything, surely this would’ve come up for more people?

Post a photo of your setup please.

Handlebars aren't very curved. Excuse the messy everything.
I know I need to move the dropper lever to the other side but it's not the limiting factor in how far in I can move the shifter.

Video that won't embed for some reason https://imgur.com/7YBMwXn

Yeep fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 13, 2023

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Either move them toward the stem or use the other side of the paddle where you are pushing toward the brake lever, not into the bars. If you can adjust angle of shifter and brakes independently you may also be able to angle it in a way where movement works both ways in current position.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
You've got a pretty big gap between the brake lever clamp and the grip. It looks like if you moved everything closer to the grip the shifter lever would clear that flared area at the end of the grip

Oh that's from a week ago. I hope you figured something out by now!

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 21, 2023

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Dog Case posted:

You've got a pretty big gap between the brake lever clamp and the grip. It looks like if you moved everything closer to the grip the shifter lever would clear that flared area at the end of the grip

Oh that's from a week ago. I hope you figured something out by now!

No, it's very much an ongoing project whenever I have 20 minutes to spare. There was a screw slightly loose on the bottom of the shifter that was causing it to move a bit when pushed. Tightening that helped a little, I could get it so that it was catching on the metal bracket but not getting stuck. I tried moving everything towards the grips but that caused the shifter to hit rubber instead and actually stick rather than hit the metal and slide.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You need to go toward the stem or use the button the other way (away from the bars).

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I bought a pair of Tektro RL520 brake levers to replace the trashed levers on my bike.

The bike has some sidepull caliper brakes. Unfortunately, the RL520s are designed for linear pull brakes.

I'm guessing that this is going to work, but I'll be hitting the rim sooner in the lever travel and losing some braking finesse.

1. Is this correct?

2. Is this a big deal? Am I better off trying to exchange these?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

send them back and get the right brake levers, imo

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

long pull levers on short pull brakes will make it difficult to apply the brakes strongly which is a bad idea

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Yeah I thought better of it and went back to the store to exchange them. I probably would have ended up hitting the eject button and going over the bars the first time I needed to brake hard.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

it would actually be the opposite if you hit the brakes hard - it wouldn’t apply the brakes as strongly as the proper levers. same force over a wider total range of motion in the brakes.

the opposite scenario with short pull levers on long pull brakes would apply them extra strongly, but you would have a terribly short total range of motion in the brakes, which would be hard to set up without rubbing all the time.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

Yeah I thought better of it and went back to the store to exchange them. I probably would have ended up hitting the eject button and going over the bars the first time I needed to brake hard.

The levers would have hit the bars and you wouldn't have stopped. Don't mix brake pulls folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SimonSays posted:

The levers would have hit the bars and you wouldn't have stopped. Don't mix brake pulls folks

You got it mixed up about travel (but maybe not ultimate effect), per above explanation.