Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Knightsoul posted:

Don't waste your precious time reading/believing those pretentious war reports: they are just war propaganda, fake data cooked by the M.I. 6 just to keep foolin' uckrainian population to sacrifice their country/citizens for the U.S./U.K. interests.
Those are the same U.K. agencies who said, around march/april of 2022, that Russia would have ended their war ammunitions in a matter of few days . :laugh:
I still don't understand why the british are soooo mad at the russians that they would start world war 3 without esitations if they were in charge (Sleepy Joe doesn't agree).

Boris Johnson, master of puppets. The peoples of the world are like putty in his taloned fist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

But it's true that everyone should take those numbers with a big grain of salt, both russia and ukraine have every reason to lie about casualty figures in the war

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

But it's true that everyone should take those numbers with a big grain of salt, both russia and ukraine have every reason to lie about casualty figures in the war

UA General Staff info on Russian losses is pretty outlandish and only useful to see the overall dynamic - as Russia is trying to go on offensive, the casualties rise drastically.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Blut posted:

Are these losses deaths (ie actual casualties including wounded would be approaching 500% this) or all-in casualties (deaths & wounded)?

If its the former Russia will be blowing through the mobiks within a few months.

This is UA reporting on Russia's killed. They estimate wounded by taking the killed number and multiplying by 2 or 3 I think.

The numbers for equipment seemed reasonable and the killed seemed like an over estimation. Recently they posted quite a few aircraft losses which had no corroborating evidence at all which has made me doubt the numbers more, aside from the general overestimation.

The thought is that you can use it as a reliable measure of changes in intensity if not for the absolute number itself.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Tevery Best posted:

There's never been any need for stuff like that before, I don't think. Giant plantations can't use chemical solutions, since that would risk poisoning consumers or the plants, and airports obviously are a no-go in that department (aside from massive human traffic that would be at risk there's also the matter of air traffic stopping deployment). The closest there is, I think, is spraying scents that repel birds, which is clearly a non-viable solution in a combat zone.

In short, it's probably more worthwhile to train birds to attack drones than try to clear the air and shoot everything on sight.

Rocket launch facilities have to repel birds, but I think their solution is just loud sirens/noisemakers, which probably aren't a great choice in a conflict. fake edit: Apparently the Space Shuttle used balloons designed to look like predator's eyes.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
How inaccurate has UA published estimates proven in retrospect? How much have they differed from other sources?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

How inaccurate has UA published estimates proven in retrospect? How much have they differed from other sources?

Simple - if you believe their KIA figures and extrapolate even a pretty dire 1:4 rate for wounded, then there shouldn't be much of fighting force of Russians in Ukraine anymore. Current situation shows that it is not the case.

US drop their estimates from time to time in briefings and they look closer to reality.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
1:4 would be pretty good for Russia. I think it's much worse than that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Realistically if its an active combat zone with artillery flying and poo poo the birds are likely just going to leave themselves. Stuff like space launch centers is different because they go long periods of time without launches and the birds will come back.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bashez posted:

1:4 would be pretty good for Russia. I think it's much worse than that.

Possibly, but assuming that UA forces are not outright inflating numbers (at least for public consumption) they are likely mistaking a lot of wounded for dead and/or accidentally counting some twice. (At least, assuming their reported numbers are not 100% confirmed "these are how many bodies we've buried" numbers--which I do not think they are.)

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-february-11-2023 posted:

The Russian military command is deploying its most elite units to the Bakhmut area in smaller formations using urban infiltration tactics, according to the limited footage of Russian tactics in the area that ISW has observed.[9] These tactics seem to be resulting in significant tactical Russian advances in the Bakhmut area that could lead to operational gains if Ukrainian forces choose to withdraw from Bakhmut.

The latest ISW report was rather uneventful, but the above quote contradicts the narrative that RuAF has given up on their initiative in Bakmut. Some educated minds were saying that Wagner replacements were low quality regular army troops. I found that tidbit interesting.

Also, I didn't realize Wagner's contract to recruit from the prisons ended.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

RockWhisperer posted:

Prigozhin is spiraling. His bid to oust Shoigu has failed and he hasn't taken Bakhmut. Wagner is losing a lot of its privileges and once they're no longer a threat he'll commit suicide with two bullets to the back of the head.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
What's really going on here? Small elite units using urban infiltration tactics or human wave attacks of convicts because Russia ran out of tanks? Maybe the answer is both.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

adebisi lives posted:

What's really going on here? Small elite units using urban infiltration tactics or human wave attacks of convicts because Russia ran out of tanks? Maybe the answer is both.

Both. They do both.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Morrow posted:

Prigozhin is spiraling. His bid to oust Shoigu has failed and he hasn't taken Bakhmut. Wagner is losing a lot of its privileges and once they're no longer a threat he'll commit suicide with two bullets to the back of the head.

Surprise surprise. And it's not like he's a superior general/administrator that got outmaneuvered, either. He hasn't proven he's any more capable. The RuAF pushed hard for 4 months to take Severodonetsk, and Prigozhin's failure to take Bakhmut has been going on for at least that long.

After each of them was given the reins, there were a lot of news stories about how Prigozhin and Surovikin are these cunning figures playing 4D chess, but the only trick up their sleeves was moving the brutality slider from 10 to 11 (Surovikin wasting precision munitions on civilian infrastructure, Prigozhin shoveling mobiks onto the front like coal into a furnace).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Wagner's priority was to tie up Ukrainian forces and give newly mobilized troops time to undergo basic training. They have churned through about 50k disposable prisoners, while taking great care to preserve their core professional troops. The Russian winter offensive has begun across multiple fronts, it's just ramping up slowly.

Russian MOD is reportedly taking over the prisoner pipeline. It's no longer a Wagner affair. Newly released prisoners are handed conscription papers and driven directly to recruitment centers. Refusal to serve at that point is a punishable offense, with fines and several years in prison.

Edit: source and info in Russian
https://gulagu-net.ru/news/2023-01-06-1542.html

It seems like the Wagner group actually accomplished their mission for the time being

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 13, 2023

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
In regards to both sides KIA/WIA ratios, the inability and high risk of getting medevac helos close to the front line is possibly leading to similiar ratios to that of WW2 which was 1:3 (on average), I am willing to bet it is closer to the Vietnam War 1:4 ratio due to advances in IFAK and that the front lines are not so far from city centers/Hospitals. Fortunately we do not see to much about other side consistently targeting Hospitals yet.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Really poignant
https://twitter.com/OliverGMarsden/status/1624694383021793281

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Telsa Cola posted:

Realistically if its an active combat zone with artillery flying and poo poo the birds are likely just going to leave themselves. Stuff like space launch centers is different because they go long periods of time without launches and the birds will come back.

I remember reading about birds in WWI, and this doesn't seem to be the case. Instead, birds tend to aggresively ignore Human noises like artillery and just go on living like normal.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

considering it was filmed by a drone, maybe not the most effective measure
In defence of their wunderwaffe :v: it's a tracking radar, it's not supposed to shoot things.

RockWhisperer posted:

The latest ISW report was rather uneventful, but the above quote contradicts the narrative that RuAF has given up on their initiative in Bakmut. Some educated minds were saying that Wagner replacements were low quality regular army troops. I found that tidbit interesting.

The accent of that line is on the documented successes of Russian regulars taking contested settlements being seemingly due to infiltration tactics – in contrast with mechanized warfare. “Russian military command is deploying its most elite units to the Bakhmut area in smaller formations” speaks about the observed use of the allocated troops, rather than passes on a qualitative judgement on the allocation of troops across the frontline. The full quote, in my opinion, offers some of the context otherwise missing for interpretation:

quote:

The disparity between the limited but significant Russian advances in the Bakhmut area and the lack of meaningful advances elsewhere in Ukraine may support milblogger and Ukrainian observations that Russian forces are unable to secure rapid advances through traditional mechanized maneuver warfare. The Russian military command is deploying its most elite units to the Bakhmut area in smaller formations using urban infiltration tactics, according to the limited footage of Russian tactics in the area that ISW has observed.[9] These tactics seem to be resulting in significant tactical Russian advances in the Bakhmut area that could lead to operational gains if Ukrainian forces choose to withdraw from Bakhmut. Russian offensive operations elsewhere in Donetsk Oblast and along the Svatove-Kreminna line have resulted in marginal advances without operational significance thus far. ISW has observed limited footage of Russian tactics in areas separate from the Bakhmut effort that suggests that Russian forces are engaging in more traditional mechanized maneuver warfare tactics with regular, not elite, motorized rifle, naval infantry, and tank elements.[10] All the formations so far observed were rendered combat-ineffective in earlier phases of the war and have very likely been reconstituted with mobilized personnel. The Russian military appears to have been unable to prepare its mobilized personnel to conduct effective mechanized offensive operations in the short period of time since their call-ups, as ISW forecasted.[11] The lack of adequate vehicles, ammunition, and other materiel is likely contributing to the ineffectiveness of Russian mechanized maneuver tactics thus far. The Russian military is unlikely to be able to scale its approach from the Bakhmut area to the wider theater because the tactics it is using in Bakhmut are more suited to dense urban environments and because Russian forces lack the number of elite formations needed to conduct a larger offensive in eastern Ukraine in the same fashion. ISW‘s assessment regarding the prospects for future Russian mechanized offensive operations is offered with low confidence due to the limited available footage depicting Russian military tactics across the entire front line.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 13, 2023

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/ShanghaiMacro/status/1625036403993378817

(plus Germany, with the Munich conference)

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2023-02-13/Senior-Chinese-diplomat-to-visit-Europe-from-February-14-22--1hod6FaK1kk/index.html

or maybe that sequence is arranged so that Hungary will undermine any semblance of European unity in advance of the Russia visit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Speaking of the Munich conference, there's also a Monday-Wednesday NATO defence ministers meet-up (technically Tue-Wed, but Stoltenberg is doing a kick-off presser today). Ukraine, Finland, and Sweden have been invited to attend.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Do the Chinese really have any interest in brokering peace other than for their own prestige? A weakened and dependent Russia is probably in their best interest.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Dick Ripple posted:

Do the Chinese really have any interest in brokering peace other than for their own prestige? A weakened and dependent Russia is probably in their best interest.

No, it's probably not in Beijing's interest to have Russian conventional military capacity ground down to a non-entity, because that would allow the US to focus west, on containing China in the Pacific. Beijing likely believes it needs Russia as a credible threat to American interests in Europe.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Aside from humanitarian reasons I think Xi would probably like things to wrap up because a long war between Russia and Ukraine has more potential downsides than upsides for China. A further weakened Russia would be more dependent on China, but it would also be more fragile, with the possibility of someone more belligerent or more EU-friendly taking power. There's also the spectre of a nuclear exchange, which would obviously be a real bad time for everyone.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Maybe they think they can broker a peace that includes Russia getting to keep what it has taken, to set a precedence for when they eventually try the same with Taiwan? Or maybe it's just kayfabe to be able to say they tried while offering no practical solution.

While China has tried to maintain a position of "This war is tragic and should be ended as soon as possible", they've refused to denounce Russia for the invasion and continually add the ~legitimate security concerns~ qualifier to their stance that national sovereignty must be respected. It's pretty clear that they don't see anything inherently wrong in what Russia is doing, but they just don't like saying that out loud.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
China does not want Russia to be so much of a problem for Western Europe that Western Europe sanctions Chinese exports (unlike the first Cold War, the awkward fact is that China is intensely dependent on the US and EU as consumer markets), or that Western Europe sees its interests aligned with the US in the Pacific a la Baltic gestures on Taiwan. It wants a multipolar world of bilateral negotiations, not bloc politics.

Its most preferred outcome - where France and Germany welcome a Russian return to great power status as a counterweight to American influence, and openly rejects attempts US invitations to involve it in the Taiwan question - is probably moribund. The question is now just what the second-best outcome is.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The war is pretty annoying for China on a whole range of issues.

China want to be seen as the elder statesman internationally, and being associated with Russia's war is not helping.
The war has everyone looking at their supply chains and where critical vulnerabilities lie. That's bad for China with its export economy.
It has also caused the USA to be a lot more forceful towards China, which is bad because China's economy also depends on imports of high-tech goods.
The world market getting wonky is also bad for an export economy. Like China's.

Russia isn't that big of a customer and a recession in Russia doesn't help.

There's no doubt in my mind that China would quite like that source of instability to go away asap, preferably of course with a piece brokered by Rational Elder Statesman China.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What’s extra awkward is that any rhetorical support for Russia’s cause in Ukraine is functionally contradictory to PRC’s policy towards Taiwan.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What’s extra awkward is that any rhetorical support for Russia’s cause in Ukraine is functionally contradictory to PRC’s policy towards Taiwan.

Isn't China's policy toward Taiwan self-contradictory in the first place? My understanding of the situation there is that China maintains foreign nations have no business interfering in the internal affairs of other nations, but China is allowed to mess with Taiwan because it considers Taiwan a part of China that is just temporarily exerting an excess of autonomy. The policy is only coherent if you accept the premise that Taiwan is not a sovereign nation, otherwise it's just the same bullshit imperialistic arguments that Russia has used (among many others) to justify their own invasion of Ukraine.

I'm not super-familiar with the details of Chinese foreign policy, so it's quite possible I'm oversimplifying it maybe.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Antigravitas posted:

The war is pretty annoying for China on a whole range of issues.
It doesn't help that part of the BRI was to have more rail connections through Russia to European countries/consumers and now rely more on alternative routes since the invasion started.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Slashrat posted:

Maybe they think they can broker a peace that includes Russia getting to keep what it has taken, to set a precedence for when they eventually try the same with Taiwan? Or maybe it's just kayfabe to be able to say they tried while offering no practical solution.

While China has tried to maintain a position of "This war is tragic and should be ended as soon as possible", they've refused to denounce Russia for the invasion and continually add the ~legitimate security concerns~ qualifier to their stance that national sovereignty must be respected. It's pretty clear that they don't see anything inherently wrong in what Russia is doing, but they just don't like saying that out loud.

I think you are reading too much (or not enough?) into those statements.

For geopolitical reasons, China will not denounce Russia. It's allied-ish, and China wants Russia to be on its side countering "The West".

On the other hand, China would really prefer there not to be a destabilising conflict that could impact its economy and international standing.

So you get Centrist China: "War is bad, mhkay" and "Can't we all just get along", while not outright disavowing Russia, but also not outright supporting them. Just awkwardly trying to navigate an embarassing situation.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

No, it's probably not in Beijing's interest to have Russian conventional military capacity ground down to a non-entity, because that would allow the US to focus west, on containing China in the Pacific. Beijing likely believes it needs Russia as a credible threat to American interests in Europe.

That is a good point. However, Russia will not be able to disengage from Ukraine anytime soon without making some concessions that at this point I doubt Putin is able or willing to make.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Slashrat posted:

Isn't China's policy toward Taiwan self-contradictory in the first place?

Considering the history of China, the PRC still considers Taiwan to be a part of China that is temporarily occupied by the illegitimate regime the PRC ousted. It's the same reason why, initially, Taiwan still claimed sovereignty over the entirety of (in their eyes, occupied by an illegitimate rebel group) continental China but also parts of Mongolia etc. which were part of the Chinese state way back in the interbellum. It's a fairly recent development in Taiwanese society that they started considering themselves a separate nation rather than a government in exile that one day wishes to resume control over the mainland.

So in that respect it is coherent in the sense of "we have consistently been saying Taiwan is ours since 1945. As a matter of fact, it was part of China when we began our revolution" (in more diplomatic language).

China's fuckery elsewhere in Asia (in particular, building islands in the South China Sea and so on to extend its territorial waters) is basically contradictory with their messaging of respecting sovereignty though

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Hersh's latest is getting a lot of play in Chinese media, as did earlier Ukraine biolab coverage. It would be difficult for China to pitch a dramatic shift domestically, anyway.

China rationally (even in the Chinese sense of the term) wants a reset to a globalizing world that welcomes Chinese exports, but also would like to indulge its domestic demand for weltpolitik. Chinese thinkers who grew up in a world of Belgrade embassy bombing and Iraq II want a narrative where France and Germany are chomping at the bit for China's vision of multipolarity. Reconciling those two competing desires is a lot of material meant for domestic consumption that then boxes it in subsequently.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cicero posted:

With the rise of small drones dropping grenades, is there the possibility of small man-portable radars or similar to detect those drones at an infantry squad level? Or is that kind of tech too hard to miniaturize?

I know there are handheld anti-drone weapons, but if you don't know the drone is there that might not help you, and usually in these videos the people being dropped on seem unaware.
it's not really worth carrying the sensor if you can't do poo poo about it (aka you need an effector). Jammers are countered by autonomy, and physical effectors that can touch even consumer drones can be bulky, heavy and expensive. I'd hazard the smallest mover you'll get them on is something like a quad bike.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-02-13/eu-is-set-to-propose-new-sanctions-on-russian-tech-and-vehicles

Bloomberg is reporting that 10th sanctions package from EU will be attempting to go after the supply chain of the western parts identified in equipment used by Russia since the last February. Other speculated targets - heavy vehicles, Wagner, sanctions avoidance, Russian and Iranian drone industries.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/ShanghaiMacro/status/1625036403993378817

(plus Germany, with the Munich conference)

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2023-02-13/Senior-Chinese-diplomat-to-visit-Europe-from-February-14-22--1hod6FaK1kk/index.html

or maybe that sequence is arranged so that Hungary will undermine any semblance of European unity in advance of the Russia visit

With both sides arming for major offensives that they believe will change the course of the war, I'd say negotiations over the next 4-6 months have almost zero chance of going anywhere. Like trying mediation in the build up to D-Day.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

evil_bunnY posted:

it's not really worth carrying the sensor if you can't do poo poo about it (aka you need an effector). Jammers are countered by autonomy, and physical effectors that can touch even consumer drones can be bulky, heavy and expensive. I'd hazard the smallest mover you'll get them on is something like a quad bike.

The ground attack drones I've seen tend take 2-3 seconds (assuming the video is real time) to drop stuff on the ground. That's 50-150ft up, which is close enough that you could hit it with small arms if you knew where it was. I could eventually see something like a smartphone with an app that you point at the sky and it buzzes if something flies overhead and then starts hovering. Then you shoot at it.

Won't help for the high altitude drones but those are more likely to be detected by radar .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Washington Post's morning world newsletter has an interview with the Austrian foreign minister. Bolding mine:

quote:

Today’s WorldView: We’re nearing the one-year mark of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. How has it changed Europe?

Alexander Schallenberg: I believe it has dramatically changed Europe. I sometimes cite Robert Kagan, the American political scientist, who said about 20 years ago that Europeans are living in a post-historic paradise of peace. But outside, power struggles are ongoing. To a certain degree, you could say on the 24th of February, 2022, we were kicked out of paradise. And nobody likes being kicked out of the Garden of Eden. We might have dreamt about the fact that Francis Fukuyama might be still right — that we have a post-historic, post-national world where one way or another, our model of life will be progressing.

But we have found out that the very way we live is considered an act of aggression by others, including Russia. And they believe they have to use tanks and rockets to invade another country because simply this country might be about to embrace our model of life. So it was like a geopolitical ice bucket thrown in our face, brutally tearing us from our daydreams.

And it has an impact. I cannot quite see all the repercussions yet, but it has moved Europe together. It has moved the transatlantic partnership together again. And yes, countries like Austria, Germany and others are paying an economic price because we have been heavily invested in Russia, Belarus and Ukraine. But the assumption we had maybe in the past that you can minimize political risks by creating mutual economic dependencies has proven wrong with authoritarian states.

The Ukrainian president keeps calling for more and more weapons, and the West, by and large, keeps obliging. How long can this keep going? Is there a decisive military solution to the war?

I believe that’s not the thinking behind this. The thinking is you have a large country invading in a neo-imperialistic manner a neighboring country. And we are supporting this country in its self-defense, which doesn’t make us a party to the war. The Ukrainians have put up a really impressive fight for their freedom. And I believe it’s right that we continue to [support them]. How sustainable is it? I believe we do have a lot of resilience and patience.

Are you worried about public opinion shifting in the West against open-ended support?

We are democracies, so public opinion is something which we shouldn’t be worried about. It’s part of our life. And democracies have to always justify their actions and take them in parliament. But there is a strong sense of the necessity of what we are doing in Europe, in the larger parts of the population.

There is some controversy over Austria issuing visas to a number of sanctioned Russian politicians, so that they can attend an upcoming meeting of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe. Why issue these permits when it upsets your neighbors and allies?

We have a seat agreement, as we do with the U.N., as Vienna is the seat of about 40 international organizations. And in this seat agreement, like in any other, we have the obligation by international law to permit delegations of member countries to enter. It’s similar to the United States, as far as New York is concerned. [The late Libyan dictator Moammar] Gaddafi was at the General Assembly, [former Iranian president Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad was there. So that applies here. It’s not the question of whether we want to [admit the Russians MPs]. It’s a must.

We are currently in a struggle to defend a rules-based international system, a system where laws are respected. We should be very watchful as the West, as the free world, to not give the impression that we are selective when applying international law, because that’s exactly the Russian narrative.

Your constitutional position of neutrality has also frustrated some other European governments, since Austria is not sending weapons to Ukraine.

Our neutrality is a purely military neutrality. But Austria has at no point been neutral as far as values of principles are concerned. Our position is very clear — full solidarity with Ukraine. If you put humanitarian aid and public and private humanitarian aid together, we are among the top European countries aiding Ukraine. We are fully in sync with every single measure the European Union has taken. The only thing we don’t do is deliver weapons. But we don’t prevent any others from doing so.

Your neighbor, Hungary, and the right-wing government of Prime Minister Viktor Orban have shown a softness toward Russia that has made Hungary an outlier in Europe. How much of an ideological problem is Orban for the European project?

Yes, to some degree. What Viktor Orban says publicly — I believe he has deep doubts as far as European integration is concerned and the value of it. But I believe, at the same time, he acknowledges that the vast majority of Hungarians support the membership of Hungary in the E.U. and NATO both. And he has to acknowledge that.

On the energy front, Austria is decoupling from Russia, like other European countries, and diversifying its natural gas supply. But is a post-Russian future possible for Europe?

I always cite former German politician Egon Bahr, the architect of Ostpolitik, who said that, for us, America is irreplaceable, but Russia is immovable. So geography doesn’t change. History doesn’t change. Russia will remain the biggest member of Europe. And Russia will remain part of our culture. We talk about Tchaikovsky, talk about Dostoevsky and others. We have centuries of common history, good times and bad times.

But decoupling is necessary, and we understand there will not be a return to the status quo ante with Russia.
Russia will still be there and we will have to somehow deal with them. What is the struggle now is to have the Ukrainians regain their full independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity. And then we can think about how to deal with them. But in the meantime, we should not willfully destroy platforms which we might need [for dialogue with Russia]. It might not be the most popular thing, but if we learned anything after Feb. 24, it’s wishful thinking is not a good way of conducting policies. The planet just might not be the way we wish it to be.

For years, we have heard talk of Europe building its own “strategic autonomy” on the world stage. Has the experience of the last year accelerated that project or offered a reminder of how fundamentally dependent the continent is on U.S. support and leadership?

I could say that Europe had outsourced its security needs to Americans, its energy needs to the Russians and its economic needs to China. And now we have to figure out how to correct this. There is also in Washington a wish for Europe to be able to shoulder this problem, and now we are actually doing it. Looking at the last 11 months, we are stronger, more flexible, more resilient than we believed ourselves [to be].

There was the expectation that the lights would go out in Europe. We would have an energy crisis, the economy would crumble, we would have disunity. Instead, we have a 4.8 percent growth rate in Austria. Tourism is booming again. The winter season was good. No lights went off.

Europe being stronger independently is not something directed against Washington. It actually helps the partnership. We know that this planet is challenging in many ways and that we are not just surrounded by friends, and if we both shoulder our part of the bargain than we are stronger together, and that’s what we have proved in the last 12 months. We have again understood the value of transatlantic partnership, which we always knew intellectually, but maybe not emotionally.