Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LinkedIn is a useful resource in my quest to check where every oval office in public life went to school and university

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

LinkedIn is a handy way of keeping track of your job history and start/end dates for jobs. Actually posting content other than that is weird behaviour that merits further investigation.

I'll allow the "hey I started a new job" posts and other people saying best of luck, etc. Seems like what the site should be about, and helps keep in touch with your (sigh) network, i.e. people you've worked with who weren't cunts that might sort you your next job.

But yeah if you spend hours a day posting about the Business Secrets of the Pharaohs then you are completely brain-spidered by social media and raw capitalisms

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

forkboy84 posted:

LinkedIn is a useful resource in my quest to check where every oval office in public life went to school and university

Or to track how every oval office from school and university is doing in public life.

Funny, all the nasty thick bullies are now in senior positions in investment banking!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

Or to track how every oval office from school and university is doing in public life.

Funny, all the nasty thick bullies are now in senior positions in investment banking!

Facebook seems better for that but then again I'm not really fussed keeping up with all them.

I did however get a job offer through LinkedIn, despite my account clearly being fake as I'm listed as the Managing Director of something like Fart Co

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

Facebook seems better for that but then again I'm not really fussed keeping up with all them.

I did however get a job offer through LinkedIn, despite my account clearly being fake as I'm listed as the Managing Director of something like Fart Co

And how are you enjoying your new position at Goldman Sachs?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

I deleted my Facebook account years ago, but I did look up a bunch of people shortly before I committed to it including the three guys that bullied me at school.

They all joined the Met.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/trans_safety/status/1625057183183282177?s=19

We need to redacted the Times.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A whole paper of record more pathetically obsessed than the glincel

https://twitter.com/IndiaWilloughby/status/1624882251598102529

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1625073880107819008?t=sHBan02cqUWkfqOSdoS1Yg&s=19

Genuinely stunned at this take from Harwood

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

forkboy84 posted:

It's OK, you can walk around at home too.

I can but I'm fuckin lazy, being forced to walk around a lot helps.

(This is not an argument for forcing everyone to return to the office btw)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I suppose if you make 70k+ a year, live in Central London and have a job that makes you feel like a big brained important thought leader, going into work is nice.

Hot take: 70k in central London is less than gently caress all.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

70k is not gently caress all unless you're living in the luxury flats they reserve for oligarchs in the middle of zone 1. I was living in zone 2 on less than 30k. If you're making 70k you're doing pretty loving well

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And yet I bet the residents of Grenfell earned sub £70k.

Westminster City Council has a poverty rate of about 35% lol

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 13, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/saulstaniforth/status/1625055576408326147?s=46&t=FLpmus9uzC--6izG4IX6VQ

Of course.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Miftan posted:

70k is not gently caress all unless you're living in the luxury flats they reserve for oligarchs in the middle of zone 1. I was living in zone 2 on less than 30k. If you're making 70k you're doing pretty loving well

forkboy84 posted:

And yet I bet the residents of Grenfell earned sub £70k.

You have exposed my ignorance. I did declare it as a hot take though, one from a northerner who is constantly shocked at how much London accommodation costs.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 13, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

You have exposed my ignorance. I did declare it as a hot take though, one from a northernet who is constantly shocked at how much London accommodation costs.

The thing that is easy to forget is that people working normal rear end minimum wage jobs exist in London. I have no loving idea how they do that, but they do. I'm as guilty of this as the next not-Londoner. But Tower Hamlets is next door to the City, Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster both have inequality that is mind blowing but its also easy for it to be out of mind when you look visit as a tourist because the grim estates aren't where you're hanging out

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hot take: I don't know what guardian columnists earn but 70k is an unthinkable amount of money for me. Maybe it's chicken feed to a londoner I guess.

Edit: Apparently 80k is the upper salary band for a guardian writer, and they all seem comfortable and pleased with themselves so it must be enough to live in the city and feel like you're a top notch guy.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 13, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boris Johnson famously called £150k chicken feed, but maybe he just fucks some high end chickens.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

LinkedIn is a handy way of keeping track of your job history and start/end dates for jobs. Actually posting content other than that is weird behaviour that merits further investigation.

Ha yes. This. At one point I had about 4 different employers and job titles in 4 years despite sitting in the same office with the same boss doing pretty much the same job. I lost track of the dates so decided to set them in stone in linked in. Also I hate the linked in interface so I paid a former colleague who had set up as a VA to take my CV and out the basics in LinkedIn then when I wanted to move things around figure that out (eg linked in put my education as an OU short course as it was the latest thing I'd done but I wanted the PhD to show so figured that out.). Also the useless endorsement feature I wanted out of. People I'd never met or worked with endorsing me for stuff. Anyway found out how to opt out of that. Didn't they kill that eventually so long since I went on it.
Also for about 8 years of self employment with numerous short term contracts it looked a bit naff so I just gave myself a title Jaelunis Work Stuff (not exactly that you understand 😂) and listed all these little contracts as projects and asked people I'd worked with if they'd allow me to add them as fellow project people which they all said yes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

When I lived in London in 2015 I was paying £700iah for a room or a studio in zone 2 (15 minute tube ride from the city centre) but everything else (food, utilities, transport, NOT booze) was much cheaper. I had a take home of 1600ish a month and was doing fine and going out to see shows and pubs and stuff regularly.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Hot take: I don't know what guardian columnists earn but 70k is an unthinkable amount of money for me. Maybe it's chicken feed to a londoner I guess.

Edit: Apparently 80k is the upper salary band for a guardian writer, and they all seem comfortable and pleased with themselves so it must be enough to live in the city and feel like you're a top notch guy.

Most of those journos will (1) Have other side incomes and (2) Be from wealthy families.

A 70k salary in London is certainly enough to have a comfortable lifestyle but you're still not buying your own house or flat without family money.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1625083126723518467?s=46&t=FLpmus9uzC--6izG4IX6VQ

An MP candidate to keep an eye on, if only because she's one of the most incredibly obvious spooks we've ever had.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

better than that goony tory who tried to walk across iran for some reason?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
On another episode of Everyone Loves Statistics

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1624944099848769536

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jel Shaker posted:

He smoked smack out of politeness so at least had that going for him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

I'm old enough to remember like a year ago when he was being touted as the next PM

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Remember when he ran for Mayor of London and then gave up before he even got on the ballot.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

The thing that is easy to forget is that people working normal rear end minimum wage jobs exist in London.

Council housing vs renting privately.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

He smoked smack out of politeness so at least had that going for him.
Ah, a Scottish Tory.

English ones would just rail a line of coke and recite a half remembered Kipling poem about how their guests traditionally bugger goats.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

My mother just accused me, an autistic trans woman, of acting like a Nazi for asking her to stop listening to Times Radio. I cannot loving believe this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nazis were famous for going around demanding that people not read newspapers sympathetic to their party line.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Don't read the comments on that Harwood tweet if you value your consumer electronics and/or your nearest window.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Council housing vs renting privately.

Also, some hideously overcrowded homes of multiple occupancy.
Wasn't there one house in Newham that inspectors found something like 17 people (4-5 families) living in?

Some really, abominably creepy landlords, too, if the stories from some of my colleagues are anything to go by.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I'm so loving angry, and tired and exhausted. The comments and ~Discourse~ across the board are absolutely ghoulish. That poor girl

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Doubtless all the work of noted ultra-bastard Jimbly Cribbins and his army of far-left thugs.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jesus loving christ. Important to note the loving deadname of this famous public figure for context for all the many readers who only know her old name from her high profile career of being a schoolchild. gently caress the gently caress off

e: they at least had the sense to remove it later, but even thinking that was the right thing to do at any point wtf is wrong with you

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 13, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

I always got the impression that Rory Stewart was cosplaying as a spook rather than actually being one.

In other news, here's hoping Corbyn curb-stomps this fucker (electorally or otherwise):

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1625076017894227968?s=46&t=FLpmus9uzC--6izG4IX6VQ

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like a question you'd put to someone who at least knows what a gonad is, rather than showing them in public

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Don't worry though, Labour have unleashed the big dogs: the Ministry of Health is buying too many pens.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1625111882423054337

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

Also, some hideously overcrowded homes of multiple occupancy.
Wasn't there one house in Newham that inspectors found something like 17 people (4-5 families) living in?

Some really, abominably creepy landlords, too, if the stories from some of my colleagues are anything to go by.

My landlord at my former place had basically turned it into a warehouse for Eastern European men (a sink in every room, a stove on every floor, in a place he'd turned into a three-floor, 10-bedroom house. One actual bathroom/shower for the whole lot, mind). I'm sure he'd have tried to cram 20 people or so in there. As it turned out Barking council planning department told him to go gently caress himself, repeatedly (and I might add sent someone round to no-notice inspect and make sure he wasn't actually doing that), so I rented the bottom floor of the house, the rest being empty, till he decided to try and sell up and I had to move. To Newham actually but not to a house designed for multiple occupants, fortunately.

That's not central London though which was the original thing, east London is different and you can theoretically maybe even possibly afford a house in some parts if you enjoy being stabbed.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 13, 2023