Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

What are people's thoughts on Siocast? While I understand the appeal of a small, contained injection molding machine that uses inexpensive soft tools, my opinion is that the material sucks rear end. It frays and leaves little hangy bits all over it no matter what you use to clean it. I thought this might be an issue since Corvus Belli is still working on dialing their's in but I bought a Repear Siocast model out of curiosity and it's exactly the same. Is there a company out there that uses Siocast and it isn't poo poo?

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Decorus posted:

My bathroom renovation went from supposedly lasting one month to three. :(

wow holding it for an entire month sounds difficult, three would be impossible

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Cat Face Joe posted:

wow holding it for an entire month sounds difficult, three would be impossible

I was fortunately able to move out for the duration, but couch surfing for a surprise extra two months wasn't alot of fun.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Cross posting from the Battletech thread.

Painted these up following the Duncan tutorial.

I'm not happy with them. I don't like how crappy the Battletech models are, they have so much weird lines in the plastic. I also aren't happy with how the cockpit glass, red lines, and hazard stripes came out.

Still, it's done and my backlog is a bit smaller.

I did like that it was a quick paint scheme, these didn't take a ton of time, it was a lot of drybrushing as opposed to edge highlighting. I think to get through the rest of my Battletech faster I'm going to focus on drybrushing the rest.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

What are people's thoughts on Siocast? While I understand the appeal of a small, contained injection molding machine that uses inexpensive soft tools, my opinion is that the material sucks rear end. It frays and leaves little hangy bits all over it no matter what you use to clean it. I thought this might be an issue since Corvus Belli is still working on dialing their's in but I bought a Repear Siocast model out of curiosity and it's exactly the same. Is there a company out there that uses Siocast and it isn't poo poo?

My Victoria Miniatures ratling snipers are Siocast and came out really nice, I was impressed. But most of her stuff is resin.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My Victoria Miniatures ratling snipers are Siocast and came out really nice, I was impressed. But most of her stuff is resin.

How'd they clean up? The Reaper sculpt is fine, just the material makes mold lines a tremendous chore.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I think the whole industry is still getting used to it. Reaper are apparently going to use Siocast for the fulfilment of some of the latest Bones kickstarter, and that's likely to be where a lot of the, pardon the expression, rough edges get taken care of.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Decorus posted:

I got a Sicarian squad based. I really like these spindly monster dudes.

Yess, yellow Sicarians are the best.

Decorus posted:

And finally, I painted a Krieg squad. I stole the colour scheme from someone here, hope you don't mind unknown person. I really like it, I think it was supposed to be based on some kind of WWI Ottoman uniform.
That was Al-Saqr

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

How'd they clean up? The Reaper sculpt is fine, just the material makes mold lines a tremendous chore.

I don't recall unfortunately, my only thought about getting the figures together was "This new material seems neat! kind of bendy!" so at least in my case the mold line situation was not memorable.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

Painted up some skelly boys for Underworlds, using enamel washes for the first time. Overall I like the results!

These are really neat. The photos are a bit dark but I really dig the vibe. I will be adding a bunch of skelly knights to my vampire army, so would you mind giving a quick overview of thew scheme?

Chainclaw posted:

Cross posting from the Battletech thread.

Painted these up following the Duncan tutorial.

I'm not happy with them. I don't like how crappy the Battletech models are, they have so much weird lines in the plastic. I also aren't happy with how the cockpit glass, red lines, and hazard stripes came out.

Still, it's done and my backlog is a bit smaller.

I did like that it was a quick paint scheme, these didn't take a ton of time, it was a lot of drybrushing as opposed to edge highlighting. I think to get through the rest of my Battletech faster I'm going to focus on drybrushing the rest.

Never been a fan of battletech minis but this cholorsceme and paint job are really cool!

I have been recently warming up to the idea that I dont have to give every mini 1000% effort, especially if I am not excited to paint it. But it still gnaws at me in the back of my mind once in a while.
The eternal battle between having fun painting minis and having fun looking at wonderfully painted minis. Sometimes you can only arrive at one or the other.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Putrid Grin posted:

These are really neat. The photos are a bit dark but I really dig the vibe. I will be adding a bunch of skelly knights to my vampire army, so would you mind giving a quick overview of thew scheme?

Hey thanks!

Yeah I’m still working out good photos lol; understanding lighting and all that is a big white noise area in my brain where information goes to die.

Started with a zenithal prime of white ink over black primer. White ink was fun to use but plain white primer (or Vallejo grey, which is pretty white) works great. I’d use a black primer underneath because these boys have some VERY hard places to reach.

Cloaks: flesh tearer red
Tunics: scale 75 sunset purple
Armor: Vallejo steel, basilicanum grey
Bone: scale 75 pale flesh but screaming skull or wraithbone also do the job
Wood: pro acryl mahogany I think? Maybe a scale 75 brown ink. Anyway you can just do wildwood or Vallejo wood grain
Leather: doombull brown
Metals: Vallejo brassy brass and pro acryl rich gold on top
Teal: the shields are akhelian green, the fur was kroxigor scales (I wish I’d used a yellow thinking back on it)
Stone: Vallejo stone grey

So just a lot of bright saturated colors outside of the armor. Cover the whole mess in AK streaking grime, wait a bit and do the whole deal with old t-shirts, q-tips, and mineral spirits to wipe it off; then add a few details or highlights as you want.

I was trying out some scale 75 paints for the first time, part of the project was to use them a lot.

I’ve tried other skeleton crew schemes for the black armor with my main Soulblight force, including drybrushing steel over Corvus black, and also painting gunmetal and covering with black Templar; this is the scheme I’ve liked the most even before the enamel wash.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finished this band of dorks

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Geisladisk posted:

Oh those look great! Building mine right now; awesome motivation. I really like the lion buddy, what did you use for its fur?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Geisladisk posted:

Goddamn they're cool as hell. I'm impressed with your restraint at not painting burning tree tattoos on everyone :v:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Marauder done. Just posting here. Next up is either an Archer or Atlas (not up for the Marauder II right after the basic one).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Painted up the free model from the GW store.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

drat that's clean.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Cat Face Joe posted:

It does suck. Cleaning it with a knife is near impossible and you better not be tempted to use a file because it will fray like crazy.
Bought 2 Siocast models from CB, huge disappointment. Third one is coming end of next month, but if the experience is the same I will start looking for proxies.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yess, yellow Sicarians are the best.

That was Al-Saqr

Thanks for finding the post! And also a big thanks to Al-Saqr for giving me the inspiration to paint my Krieg squad. I bought the box a long time ago, but couldn't decide on a colour scheme.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Decorus posted:

And finally, I painted a Krieg squad. I stole the colour scheme from someone here, hope you don't mind unknown person. I really like it, I think it was supposed to be based on some kind of WWI Ottoman uniform.

They were supposed to be a veteran squad for my IG army, but with the new codex I guess I'll have to rip a meltagun off one of the dudes. :(

Decorus posted:

Thanks for finding the post! And also a big thanks to Al-Saqr for giving me the inspiration to paint my Krieg squad. I bought the box a long time ago, but couldn't decide on a colour scheme.

Thief! Scoundrel! Serpent!

lol J/K these are incredible work! good job! I'm so happy I inspired you to try my overall color scheme out! I absolutely love what you've done and I'll definiely take some notes from you as well!

I'm almost done with my gallowdark terrain, once its finished I will catch up with you and finish my Krieg as well!

It's not strictly ottoman WW1 (the ottomans largely dressed in normal fatigues at that time) it's more trying to mix ottoman themes and middle eastern bronze work decoration, it looks awesome good job!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 13, 2023

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

Thief! Scoundrel! Serpent!

lol J/K these are incredible work! good job! I'm so happy I inspired you to try my overall color scheme out! I absolutely love what you've done and I'll definiely take some notes from you as well!

I'm almost done with my gallowdark terrain, once its finished I will catch up with you and finish my Krieg as well!

It's not strictly ottoman WW1 (the ottomans largely dressed in normal fatigues at that time) it's more trying to mix ottoman themes and middle eastern bronze work decoration, it looks awesome good job!

Thanks!
The colour scheme works really well, even after I made some changes to account for available paints and simplifications. I just couldn't afford to do anything really intricate for a whole squad.
The golden shoulder pads are a bit of a challenge for squad markings, so I decided to leave them off for now.

I look forward to seeing the officially sanctioned versions later. :)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

Oh those look great! Building mine right now; awesome motivation. I really like the lion buddy, what did you use for its fur?

Thanks!

The mane on the lion and the fur on the people is just Gore Grunta Fur contrast paint over a white undercoat, with a light drybrush of a khaki color over.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

BioTech posted:

It does suck. Cleaning it with a knife is near impossible and you better not be tempted to use a file because it will fray like crazy.
Bought 2 Siocast models from CB, huge disappointment. Third one is coming end of next month, but if the experience is the same I will start looking for proxies.

I think it's gonna clean up the same as the others. This Reaper one has the same problems as the CB ones and if a company like Reaper hasn't fixed it, that just might be the way it is.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I forget which infinity model this is, I bought a few of them to practice painting faces, and phoned in the rest of it. But I'm very proud of the face, as luckily you don't have to be really good at painting eyes if you make it look like they have heavy mascara

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Knowing how teeny Infinity minis are, that's seriously some impressive skin.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

xpost from 40k thread, the pile of built but not painted minis is now empty

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

teach me your ways nazzadan-san

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Nazzadan posted:

Is that legal?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Meanwhile I've doomed myself to a massively growing pile of shame by choice. I want to actually get back to playing 40k, so I'm putting together models with elmer's glue I can break off easily later and forcing myself to stop after giving them a layer of primer.

Once an army is playable I'll be constantly working on painting them, I just apparently paint slow and don't have a lot of free time to do that painting in. It's been months since I even played. Thus my pile of shame grows and even extends on to the table top.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nazzadan posted:

the pile of built but not painted minis is now empty

I know what all the individual words mean, but I cant quite parse them in this order.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm putting together models with elmer's glue I can break off easily later and forcing myself to stop after giving them a layer of primer.

wut

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Been messing around with this bust for months and for the first time I'm happy about how it's all coming together. Still a long way to go before he's competition worthy, but feels like I'm on the right track.

I'm also ridiculously proud of the cloud in the background. It's my first ever freehand and I think it's great.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Instead of modeling glue or super glue, I get the parts held together with elmer's glue. Parts snap off easy and the glue cleans out of the holes quite well. Then later on when I have a complete army I can actually put on the table top I'll go back and start working on model X, break them apart, paint them up, glue/pin them back together the right way and be done with that model.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
why not just like paint them as they're all put together?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just plastic cement them all together and if it means I can't reach somewhere to paint something it just doesn't get painted. I ain't got the patience to rebuild a model that took me an hour to assemble anyways

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

why not just like paint them as they're all put together?

I've tried that and it can be quite difficult to paint under arms or behind backpacks or under cloaks or whatever. I tend to prime in subcomponents, with poster tack on points where glue contact will be made, then paint the pieces so I can get in to all the details, then glue parts together and do a cleanup run.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

bird food bathtub posted:

I've tried that and it can be quite difficult to paint under arms or behind backpacks or under cloaks or whatever. I tend to prime in subcomponents, with poster tack on points where glue contact will be made, then paint the pieces so I can get in to all the details, then glue parts together and do a cleanup run.

By and large if you cant hit it with a brush you cant see in on the tabletop anyway, and if you've primed in black it just looks like shadow.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
you do you man, i just find that incredibly inefficient. I've tried out the whole meticulous subassembly thing and it's completely not worth it. There's only a few instances that subassemblies are worth it and it's a case by case basis as most cloaks, 2h weapons, shields are not as big of a deal as you think once you get a hang of the "inside out" painting method where you paint the hard to reach places first then paint the easy stuff.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Never said I was a fast painter! I know I'm exactly the opposite, actually. I just like the end result more when done this inefficient way. *I'll* see the unpainted areas on the underside or between the cracks if I don't do it and that bugs me every time I use a "completed" model. For the moment I want an army on the table that I can throw dice with. Over time it will progress towards the finished paint job I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If you can't reach it, you can't see it

If you can't see it, it doesn't exist

Nobody is ever going to see the perfectly wet blended mounting stub on your space marines' backs, just paint things like a sane person please, your time is worth more than that