Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It was both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TorakFade posted:

I admit I'm one of the weirdo sickos that like the mission trees in EU4.
Yup, sickening if true. I love (the potential of) V3 and would like more flavor content in some form, but I'd rather not get it than get mission or focus trees *again*.

Related, I was looking forward to the Journal system but it fell flat for me and I dont know why. Maybe mission/focus tree burnout?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The actual unique and interesting journal entries are good. But there's few of them and the rest of the journal entries are mostly just minor bonuses for doing stuff that just aren't interesting when presented that way.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Agean90 posted:

the game is desperately thirsty for more country/region unique events, journal entries,

A thing I don't read and I get a magical bonus for.
I want more country specific IGs, things that actually interact with the core gameplay loop(ie making number go up and passing laws), not events, events are a hollow facsimile of content.

Now proper event...."cycles" which can hit anywhere and can have huge impacts letting major historical "whuts" slam someone who hit the conditions? I'd love those.
But I don't want them country locked.
I want kingdom of heaven to slam britain with a hindu revolt is what i'm saying.
Or for the restoration event chain to work once per game when a market is forcibly opened on an unrecognized power.

Zeron posted:

The actual unique and interesting journal entries are good. But there's few of them and the rest of the journal entries are mostly just minor bonuses for doing stuff that just aren't interesting when presented that way.

And then there's the corn laws which is an instant "get out of fighting the land owners forever" button.

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 10, 2023

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Fooling around with the 1.2 beta and the arable land reduction in Europe is just *chef's kiss*

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I uh, guess some Hui bureaucrat managed to really get the ear of the emperor here:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

TorakFade posted:

What are some nations with at least some kind of flavor where you feel that you're actually playing a specific nation with a specific history? Journal entries, special events etc. Seems like among the nations I played until now, only the USA had those... and even then they were quite "out of the way".

I couldn't even finish the normal tutorial/gamestart objectives because invariably I'd get stuck on some silly objective like "make every raw material 25% price" which seems to be literally impossible if you've already developed an economy and/or have an open market where people can just steal import your cheap stuff without asking.

The East Indian trade company (or whatever it’s called) has some very specific starting conditions and events that you can try and tackle.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Finished my first game in the patch beta. I never used any mods, so a bunch of this is new to me.

- Auto building is great. In the latter half of the game I let it solve most of my supply problems and I focused on the larger strategy.
- It's harder to land a naval invasion, but this is offset by the front lines just regularly collapsing. In almost every war my enemy would just stop defending. I steamrolled the US and France as a result.

Trickleback is dumb. I had a naval invasion last 3 years due to the enemy just slowly trickling back.

This is a bit sus:

I ended up looking like a normal pre-patch game in the end, but for whatever reason my average SOL never went up and your everyday Fritz just wasn't any better off than when the game began.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I’ve been having this weird bug in 1.2 where my construction just Stops on certain items. It was infuriating. Otherwise, lots of fun

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013

GreenMarine posted:

for whatever reason my average SOL never went up and your everyday Fritz just wasn't any better off than when the game began.

Not sure if :thejoke: but it looks like you were conquering tons of poor people (including what looks like a chunk of china circa 1900...?) and it kept dragging your average down.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

CrypticTriptych posted:

Not sure if :thejoke: but it looks like you were conquering tons of poor people (including what looks like a chunk of china circa 1900...?) and it kept dragging your average down.

Yeah, no wasn't a joke. Me taking india did pull it down, but even prior to that it never really moved. Late game I decided to go ahead and just start attacking. I didn't take much territory until that jump, which was British Raj.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

dead gay comedy forums posted:

True. More to do with competing major economies not, well, competing. If I'm estimating it right, one huge factor (which is also a continuation of the trading argument before) is that the international market for basic industrial exports is extremely underdeveloped. Like, a major reason why secondary economies kept as such was that the effort to develop an industrial base was simply too expensive and required way too much effort for the rentier elites in comparison, especially as the century advanced. Suddenly Germany and Italy grab a share of the world market while the United States looms larger and larger as a future juggernaut - it doesn't need to take on the world market because it has way too much internal development to do yet and even so it already sucks the nearby economies into its' gravity well so to speak

In gameplay effects, without the above, history offers much more leeway in favor of the player in ways that the industrial process is just lovely and harmonious in comparison. It seems to me that without the different industrial powerhouses just munching over markets through their advantage in sheer capacity, the player's industry can easily meet and match wages and prices, no matter how far behind they are. In a more historical context, if you are catching up by the 70s, the player should most definitely have full protectionism and interventionism bare minimum in order to have a chance in becoming a highly industrialized country

(on that note: it seems to me as well there's little to none gunboat diplomacy by the part of the AI to open markets and get them to stay open because, well, the AI isn't expanding its industrial production enough to have to find places to offset its surplus)

Honestly one of the big issues for me with respect to trading is that the AI doesn't do export routes, nor do I have the willingness to set up all of the import routes manually. Hell, as China I'll set up every single trade good to remove all tariffs on imports to try to get as much stuff as humanly possible (because my pops are essentially an infinite source of demand), and the AI is unwilling or unable to properly take advantage of the fact that they could have their industries make absurd profits by exporting to me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GreenMarine posted:

Yeah, no wasn't a joke. Me taking india did pull it down, but even prior to that it never really moved. Late game I decided to go ahead and just start attacking. I didn't take much territory until that jump, which was British Raj.

It makes sense though, your people already started out industrialized with a decent standard of living. Half the point of capitalism is that money should only be doled out to the working class by necessity. I'm sure your capitalists had an absurd standard of living by comparison, especially if your investment pool was high. If you want to increase the SoL of your workers, you go Council Republic and give them the money that the capitalists would otherwise be taking. Pass Graduated Taxation and ensure that your industries are profitable, and you'll find your tax income is more than able to sustain massive amounts of construction.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Trying 1.2 and 10 years in, the private sector still does not want to build anything despite sitting on 3 million pounds.

Edit: It was Anbeeld's AI mod that was preventing it.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 12, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can absolutely get 25+ SoL with a heavily capitalist economy. I did so in my last 1.1 campaign with the ottomans before I stopped with 27 SoL in 1896 due to how slow the game was running (with anbleed's ai mod).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can absolutely get 25+ SoL with a heavily capitalist economy. I did so in my last 1.1 campaign with the ottomans before I stopped with 27 SoL in 1896 due to how slow the game was running (with anbleed's ai mod).
I've traditionally struggled to get my SoL to go up much. I think its usually because I end up getting tons of immigration so my population soars and I struggle to build enough factroys to employ all of the newcomers so they end up dirt farmer, thus keeping my SoL down. I was a little bit better in my DEI game where I conquered All The Islands (except Japan) but it was still really slow progress. Is there some specific trick to getting it to go up?

edit:

I think the reason I did better with the SoL here is because lol goldmines, of which other places I have played, like Persia, has none. I had a huge African colonial empire but unless you take South Africa & its neighboring minors, you dont get any gold mines.

edit2: Also I want to mention that accomplishing this was far more of a pain due to infamy because infamy because its like 15 infamy to conquer little spits of partial states for some reason.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 12, 2023

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

FPyat posted:

Trying 1.2 and 10 years in, the private sector still does not want to build anything despite sitting on 3 million pounds.

Edit: It was Anbeeld's AI mod that was preventing it.

I’m modless and sometimes my public sector stops building, it’s maddening!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've traditionally struggled to get my SoL to go up much. I think its usually because I end up getting tons of immigration so my population soars and I struggle to build enough factroys to employ all of the newcomers so they end up dirt farmer, thus keeping my SoL down. I was a little bit better in my DEI game where I conquered All The Islands (except Japan) but it was still really slow progress. Is there some specific trick to getting it to go up?

edit:

I think the reason I did better with the SoL here is because lol goldmines, of which other places I have played, like Persia, has none. I had a huge African colonial empire but unless you take South Africa & its neighboring minors, you dont get any gold mines.

edit2: Also I want to mention that accomplishing this was far more of a pain due to infamy because infamy because its like 15 infamy to conquer little spits of partial states for some reason.

How many construction buildings do you build? The trick to making the line go up faster is to simply build faster. Build until you have thousands of points if necessary. Expand your empire to capture more natural resources for your ever-growing industry, and just build build build. Trust me when I say that your finances can handle this, especially if you have interventionist or laissez-faire capitalism and a good tax law.

edit: If you are to focus on any one thing to improve SoL though, it's typically food. Getting grain to -15% to -20% price can be huge in improving SoL, and getting groceries as cheap as it can get is also effective. Next up are probably clothes and services. You also want progressive tax laws with low or very low tax rates, a little bit of welfare, and as few peasants as possible (hence the mass building project)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 12, 2023

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Don't forget that increasing wages raises standard of living. Upgrading the automation production methods raises the average wage significantly, if you haven't done it. It fires a bunch of laborers, but you can build extra factroys or I think with the social security institution at level 5 unemployed people get paid the same as laborers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

After playing a little bit, the automatic construction system definitely comes with some pros and cons, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

The good stuff: while on agrarianism as Russia, the aristocrats were basically building plantations in Africa as quickly as I was colonizing it, generally lagging behind my market's demand for sugar and dyes just a little bit. I didn't even have to think about it, they were just handling the micro for me there. They're also pretty good at dealing with railroad micro for you. I only bothered building railroads when I was queuing up a ton of buildings all at once in a single state, otherwise the private sector was able to handle my country's infrastructure needs fairly well. And despite being on agrarianism, the private sector was still able to build a nice mix if different buildings, building motor industries, mines, etc when the price for those got a little too high. All of this stuff makes the micro much easier to manage. You can also go to war and focus on that without accidentally letting your entire construction sector idle, which I'm guilty of doing way too often in the previous versions.

The bad stuff: if you're familiar with ai build patterns, then you will be seeing those same patterns happen throughout your country. Be ready to see basically everything everywhere in small quantities. economies of scale bonuses only happen when you make it happen. This also makes it a little bit more confusing when setting out to manually build some industry. I'll check to see where my glass factories are when wanting to build more of them, and they'll be in half the states of my country (no small feat for Russia), and I'll have to spend extra time figuring out where the best place to build them is. I really prefer having clean, organized economies where certain regions focus on certain industries, but this makes that impossible. Also, the AI's priorities will not always align with yours. It especially loves to build lots of art academies early on when you're trying to get your core industries in order (at least, the agrarian ai does).

Overall though, I do think it makes the game more interesting and a bit easier to manage. They just need to clean up some of the bugs with queue times and construction point utilization. Actually, I'm not sure if the utilization issue is a bug or not.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 12, 2023

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I’m modless and sometimes my public sector stops building, it’s maddening!

Yeah, it's on the known issues list, so hopefully it'll be fixed by the end of beta. At least it probably affects the other players too.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The bad stuff: if you're familiar with ai build patterns, then you will be seeing those same patterns happen throughout your country. Be ready to see basically everything everywhere in small quantities.

We have truly returned to vicky 1, which is all i ever asked for

playing the 1.2 beta is a fun experience in figuring out when things will be built because the text on the map is super hosed up right now. I think it's showing the full total of weeks remaining for everything that is actively being worked on?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It's not Vicky 1 unless you manually manage pops.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Any GSG where you don't manually split pops is trash for casuals.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Art Colleges the new Clipper Factroy lessgo

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Art Colleges the new Clipper Factroy lessgo

Counterpoint,
They actually make gently caress tons of money.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the changes to Oceania are probably needed but I also hope we have a better way to restrict colonies than claims and malaria modifiers in the future

still gonna miss being able to immediately take over most of the pacific as Japan tho.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any fun bulwark-against-colonialism African nations to play?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

FPyat posted:

It's not Vicky 1 unless you manually manage pops.
You mean "unless you use a third party tool to split the pops in your savefile" right

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

BabyFur Denny posted:

You mean "unless you use a third party tool to split the pops in your savefile" right

:padme:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

buglord posted:

Are there any fun bulwark-against-colonialism African nations to play?

Sokoto is pretty good. You have a large population, you start with coal and iron, and sulfur and lead in neighboring countries. There's even some opium nearby.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Is there a good country to relearn the economy with in V1.2? I thought I had it a few games ago but I think I was just relying on minting from gold mines.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

MinistryofLard posted:

Is there a good country to relearn the economy with in V1.2? I thought I had it a few games ago but I think I was just relying on minting from gold mines.

Russia's easy to play as.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The fundamentals are the same as before, except now you have a bunch of idiot aristocrats building art academies everywhere (and other stuff too, to be fair). Build up your construction sector and core industries until you can't afford any more construction buildings without going bankrupt (some deficit spending is fine), then focus on building out your pops' necessities and luxuries. Your nation's income will grow, and the cycle repeats.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How many construction buildings do you build? The trick to making the line go up faster is to simply build faster. Build until you have thousands of points if necessary. Expand your empire to capture more natural resources for your ever-growing industry, and just build build build. Trust me when I say that your finances can handle this, especially if you have interventionist or laissez-faire capitalism and a good tax law.

edit: If you are to focus on any one thing to improve SoL though, it's typically food. Getting grain to -15% to -20% price can be huge in improving SoL, and getting groceries as cheap as it can get is also effective. Next up are probably clothes and services. You also want progressive tax laws with low or very low tax rates, a little bit of welfare, and as few peasants as possible (hence the mass building project)
As many as I could without going too far into debt. I was pretty aggressive about it. If I was about to build a bunch of goldmines I'd queue up another construction sector or two first, then some iron mines to help keep the cost of iron down. I expanded like crazy (as seen in the screenshot and owning like 75% of colonizable Africa south of Egypt/Sokoto) and had the largest population other than China by like 1880 or so.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, what I do when I start a new game is:

1. Check and make sure I'm not doing something dumb like bolstering the Landed Gentry (looking at you, Tsar Nicholas I)

2. Spend all my authority doing the consumption taxes that will give me the most money per point of authority (do wish this was less of a faff to work out - the screen just orders by revenue and doesn't care that one tax costs 500 authority and another costs 100)

3. Divide my budget surplus by the running cost of a construction building - this gives me a rough estimate of how many construction buildings I can run without going into debt

4. Pick the eight provinces with the most available workers (unemployed plus peasants) and build my construction buildings there (the idea here is I'm going to specialise each of these provinces into a single trade good, like tools, paper, glass, clothes, or furniture, so by putting the construction yards in these provinces I get a small construction bonus when I end up queueing up 30 furniture factories)

5. Build enough universities to hit the innovation cap imposed by my country's literacy

That usually puts me in a small deficit, so you could probably build slightly fewer construction buildings than that.

Is that pretty much what everyone else does?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Russia is super easy mode though, yeah. You have basically unlimited iron, coal, and lumber right from the start, and you have a massive population to feed into the economy. Declare war on Oman for Zanzibar early and colonize East Africa for dyes, sugar, and rubber. Here's the state of my country in 1886, halfway through the game:

My laws suck and my research suck but I'm still doing okay. At one point I was losing 150K a week and was a third of the way to my credit limit, but things turned around pretty quickly. Gonna do another big construction build-out soon.

edit: the minting shown there is misleading, only 1% of the minting income comes from gold mines, the rest comes from gdp. i think people saying that gold mines were carrying their economy are getting a little confused because it's very hard to make much money from those unless you have a LOT of them. the bulk of your "minting" income comes from GDP.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 13, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gort posted:

Yeah, what I do when I start a new game is:

1. Check and make sure I'm not doing something dumb like bolstering the Landed Gentry (looking at you, Tsar Nicholas I)

2. Spend all my authority doing the consumption taxes that will give me the most money per point of authority (do wish this was less of a faff to work out - the screen just orders by revenue and doesn't care that one tax costs 500 authority and another costs 100)

3. Divide my budget surplus by the running cost of a construction building - this gives me a rough estimate of how many construction buildings I can run without going into debt

4. Pick the eight provinces with the most available workers (unemployed plus peasants) and build my construction buildings there (the idea here is I'm going to specialise each of these provinces into a single trade good, like tools, paper, glass, clothes, or furniture, so by putting the construction yards in these provinces I get a small construction bonus when I end up queueing up 30 furniture factories)

5. Build enough universities to hit the innovation cap imposed by my country's literacy

That usually puts me in a small deficit, so you could probably build slightly fewer construction buildings than that.

Is that pretty much what everyone else does?

Being in a deficit is good. You should be in a deficit in the start, otherwise you aren't building fast enough. Anyway, I don't really bother with all the careful calculations and poo poo. I just build a handful of construction buildings, wait to see what kind of impact it has on my finances, build a few more, etc. Depending on the starting size of the country, usually this results in just 20 - 60 construction points at first. I will also intermix this with iron mines and tooling workshops. Getting the cost of iron down is crucial to being able to run more construction buildings. Ideally you're at -10% price of iron or lower, but stopping at 0% is fine too. I may have time to squeeze in a few universities at this moment, but I don't focus on it. Instead, it's all about the base industry. I try to research atmospheric engine and then the next mining PM after that (forgot the name), and this is when I start building out coal. mechanized workshops and railroads come next, so I make sure to get some steel for steel tools and motor industries and all that. After all of that, I may start doing more universities, but my economy is usually doing better enough to allow me to build more construction buildings, and thus more mines, etc. And this is when I start feeling more comfortable to branch out into groceries, clothing, furniture, etc, and I'm definitely maxing out my research at this point.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 13, 2023

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

My theory is that it's easy to get to the innovation limit for a country like Russia (since your early literacy stinks due to no schools and you can't even get schools until you get rid of serfdom) and your research is extremely backward, while you can build basically infinite economic stuff, so I tend to get the universities done early so I can pretty much forget about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gort posted:

My theory is that it's easy to get to the innovation limit for a country like Russia (since your early literacy stinks due to no schools and you can't even get schools until you get rid of serfdom) and your research is extremely backward, while you can build basically infinite economic stuff, so I tend to get the universities done early so I can pretty much forget about them.

I still don't like doing it too early. You're only getting 2.5 points per university until you get dialectics, which requires too much investment to hit the ~80 point cap early on. The sooner you get the economic snowball rolling, the better, while research will always be a largely linear affair.