Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1625111275335188482?s=20

Great economy we've got here

quote:

going part-time and generating income through property ownership was financially more lucrative than full-time employment.

Between July 2021 and July 2022, the average UK house price increased by £39,000, meaning many homeowners earned more money with their house than in their job, as the current average salary for full-time UK employees is £33,000 as of November 2022, according to ONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

josh04 posted:

Don't worry though, Labour have unleashed the big dogs: the Ministry of Health is buying too many pens.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1625111882423054337

I’m sure this won’t backfire on Keith lol

https://twitter.com/willibee64/status/1625101548027015168?s=46&t=AxvOPaAx6LZrULQHVSCP9A

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

forkboy84 posted:

And yet I bet the residents of Grenfell earned sub £70k.

Westminster City Council has a poverty rate of about 35% lol

That's something I was surprised about recently: finding out that rents at Grenfell ranged up to £2000+ per month. Surprised, as I thought it was purely low income for some reason.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I used to steal boxes of pens from my old work to give to my doctor friend for his department to use because the hospital refused to buy stationery

This stuff is stupid and toxic. If only we cut the biscuit budget enough and make the PM stay in El Trãvelodge we'll have enough money to fund the NHS.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

33k for an average income has to be being skewed heavily by some real freaks at the top, I can count on one hand the number of people I know who are even topping 30k

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

33k for an average income has to be being skewed heavily by some real freaks at the top, I can count on one hand the number of people I know who are even topping 30k

Lol you would never use mean average for a non-normally distributed measure like income unless you were a dumb bastard or trying to lie for political reasons. Even the geometric mean probably makes more sense, sadly

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You're telling me I could be making 33k doing *part time* work?

Well I still can't afford a house so gently caress it

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
33k is the median wage so isn't skewed by high earners.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Worth noting that's self-reported.
The HMRC data is a bit dated but even accounting for inflation in the last two years (as if raises are following it) it's probably closer to £30k: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax

e: In before "that's a survey too":

quote:

The Survey of Personal Incomes (SPI) is based on information held by HM Revenue and Customs tax offices on individuals who could be liable to UK tax.

They mean a different kind of survey, not an opinion one. The kind they do themselves.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 13, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

On the one hand, I quite like going into the office because my commute is a 15-minute walk and because otherwise I can easily forget to leave the house for an entire week and end up feeling like shite.

On the other hand, the office can't recreate this WfH vibe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Less than £5 is a pretty decent price for a USB cable if the quality's OK, honestly. And loving omegalol at the idea that diplomats, whose literal job it is to project a facade of wealth and power to hide the fact that this country is a rotting husk, need to do so by taking their counterparts to McDonald's because the government won't spring for anything fancier. A+ work Starmer, definitely raising the real issues here.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

TACD posted:

Absolutely the best thing about WFH is the colleagues.

Edit: wife also works from home. But my dog disturbs my focus less.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

pumpinglemma posted:

Less than £5 is a pretty decent price for a USB cable if the quality's OK, honestly. And loving omegalol at the idea that diplomats, whose literal job it is to project a facade of wealth and power to hide the fact that this country is a rotting husk, need to do so by taking their counterparts to McDonald's because the government won't spring for anything fancier. A+ work Starmer, definitely raising the real issues here.

One time I needed an ethernet cable for WFH reasons and the quickest place to get it was the local electronics repair shop. Then they quoted me £15 for 1 meter of 100Mb (can't remember which cat specifically) and acted all upset when I told them off since I was paying for it myself.

Ended up going to poundland instead where I got it for a pound and it was 1Gb at least.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 13, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

Catte is good but I call this position the Spinefucker.

pumpinglemma posted:

Less than £5 is a pretty decent price for a USB cable if the quality's OK, honestly.

Let's be real, they're definitely a job-lot of 25p AliExpress USB cables that have been rebranded with "Team Togetherness Seminar 2021". The best outcome is they get shoved in a drawer forever. If they ever get used it's 50/50 between "contains microchip that uploads government documents to a Chinese server" or "unmetered power melts your phone battery"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Let's be real, they're definitely a job-lot of 25p AliExpress USB cables that have been rebranded with "Team Togetherness Seminar 2021". The best outcome is they get shoved in a drawer forever. If they ever get used it's 50/50 between "contains microchip that uploads government documents to a Chinese server" or "unmetered power melts your phone battery"

That's not how either of those things work, it's your phone that does the metering and there's no way anyone is putting spychips in cheapo usb cables.

You might get a short and some melting that way though, or the power supply exploding if sufficiently shoddy.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 13, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As an example of the sort of gigantic, terrifying grift that Labour could have chosen to focus on if they cared about it:

https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/1624808553532821506?s=46&t=FLpmus9uzC--6izG4IX6VQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Please allow me my exotic fantasies about the inscrutable Asian menace and the microchips they're implanting in my cereal boxes

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mourning Due posted:

That's something I was surprised about recently: finding out that rents at Grenfell ranged up to £2000+ per month. Surprised, as I thought it was purely low income for some reason.

It is. It's just that the landlords were getting their cream from taxpayers via housing benefit rather than directly from the tenants. Landlords are the ultimate benefit spongers.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The extent to which we're living in a poisoned culture feels really hard to express at this point, so I'm sorry if I don't get this across very well or if it seems like a lot of words towards a really obvious conclusion.

It feels like we've been systematically primed as a nation towards a very specific and very limited form of reactionary cruelty and cynicism towards any social issue, and it's hard to see how we're going to free ourselves from it any time soon.

Media-panic narratives about trans people (dwelling obsessively upon an imagined wave of trans women athletes cynically snatching up gold medals, or envisioning a spate of male sex criminals who can beamingly declare themselves a woman and get immediately shown to a women's prison by helplessly shrugging bureaucrats) feel like clear and direct descendents of the past 30+ years of consistent media narratives about smirking 'refugees' claiming their free council house, or grinning gravy-train EU bureaucrats forcing us to jump through their absurd hoops just to spite us, or monstrous tracksuited mothers churning out babies to claim their benefits.

From the outside at least, it seems like the parallel reactionary movement in the USA is more forcefully focused on the idea of a conquering threat that's emboldened by weakness (that murderous wave of gangsters with their fentanyl and their guns, that ideological threat of villainous Marxists brainwashing our children), whereas the longstanding preoccupation of this country's mainstream cultural conservatism seems to be much more shallow than that.

It's the fear that we're being laughed at by those who deserve less but take more, the belief that any act of social progress is allowing ourselves to be trampled by cynical parasites who are just looking for their chance to find a loophole, take advantage of the system, and snatch up some undeserving reward that we don't have access to (and a hollow but overstuffed overclass of hapless bureaucrats, civil servants, politicians and non-entities who let them get away with it).

I know none of this is exclusive to UK culture and media, but it just feels like we've developed our own very weird and specific sub-brand of reactionary belief that's rooted in misanthropy more than it is fear of the other.

It's not the fear of conquering outsiders whose values are alien to ours, it's the contemptuous belief that all people are the same at heart (and all people are indeed all contemptuous at heart; everyone is scheming to get more for themselves, and there's no ruling authority capable of stopping them) no matter how much they claim to be genuinely different.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 13, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/mwhitfield80/status/1625083404067676160?s=46&t=FLpmus9uzC--6izG4IX6VQ

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Holy poo poo there's aliens maybe? First contact 2023?? gently caress me I hope it's vulcans not reapers.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I can but I'm fuckin lazy, being forced to walk around a lot helps.

(This is not an argument for forcing everyone to return to the office btw)

I started having an early-morning before-breakfast walk to whichever coffee purveyor I felt most like on the day during lockdown and I really recommend it to my fellow lazy bastards who have the option. A half-hour walk and a bus ride home with coffee makes me feel virtuous and exercised all day.

On the London/wages talk I live in decent comfort in London on sub30k, but I'm 5 mins walk from the Kent border and cunningly bought my house before anyone with money noticed this bit of London so I'm a very definite outlier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

grobbo posted:

The extent to which we're living in a poisoned culture feels really hard to express at this point, so I'm sorry if I don't get this across very well or if it seems like a lot of words towards a really obvious conclusion.

It feels like we've been systematically primed as a nation towards a very specific and very limited form of reactionary cruelty and cynicism towards any social issue, and it's hard to see how we're going to free ourselves from it any time soon.

Media-panic narratives about trans people (dwelling obsessively upon an imagined wave of trans women athletes cynically snatching up gold medals, or envisioning a spate of male sex criminals who can beamingly declare themselves a woman and get immediately shown to a women's prison by helplessly shrugging bureaucrats) feel like clear and direct descendents of the past 30+ years of consistent media narratives about smirking 'refugees' claiming their free council house, or grinning gravy-train EU bureaucrats forcing us to jump through their absurd hoops just to spite us, or monstrous tracksuited mothers churning out babies to claim their benefits.

From the outside at least, it seems like the parallel reactionary movement in the USA is more forcefully focused on the idea of a conquering threat that's emboldened by weakness (that murderous wave of gangsters with their fentanyl and their guns, that ideological threat of villainous Marxists brainwashing our children), whereas the longstanding preoccupation of this country's mainstream cultural conservatism seems to be much more shallow than that.

It's the fear that we're being laughed at by those who deserve less but take more, the belief that any act of social progress is allowing ourselves to be trampled by cynical parasites who are just looking for their chance to find a loophole, take advantage of the system, and snatch up some undeserving reward that we don't have access to (and a hollow but overstuffed overclass of hapless bureaucrats, civil servants, politicians and non-entities who let them get away with it).

I know none of this is exclusive to UK culture and media, but it just feels like we've developed our own very weird and specific sub-brand of reactionary belief that's rooted in misanthropy more than it is fear of the other.

It's not the fear of conquering outsiders whose values are alien to ours, it's the contemptuous belief that all people are the same at heart (and all people are indeed all contemptuous at heart; everyone is scheming to get more for themselves, and there's no ruling authority capable of stopping them) no matter how much they claim to be genuinely different.

OwlFancier posted:

I get the distinct impression that a lot of people have their actual field of experience, people they see and know, which they generally behave normally towards, but are then convinced that everything outside that is a howling wasteland of demons and cannibals.

And also there are specific instances where things right in front of their eyes are relegated to the outer category, such as homeless people who are all secretly living in mansions and making millions a year.

There is a definite streak in a lot of people where they seem to be looking for a reason to assume everyone they don't know is out to get them.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

Holy poo poo there's aliens maybe? First contact 2023?? gently caress me I hope it's vulcans not reapers.

I'm almost certainly the biggest ufo nut ITT and I'd actually say hold your horses on this one, I think there's a very good chance it's all a dumbass mistake/misunderstanding by twitchy US military ghouls

Come read the thread in cspam, though, it's a great laugh

You're completely right and I agree with you completely

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's not aliens, at worst it's a foreign government spying but probably just wayward junk weather balloons/blimps etc.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think you'll find Biden just shot down the luxury gay space communism balloon.

The dream's over, folks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope it's aliens with twenty genders who steal the entire housing market with a giant tractor* beam.

*the kind that Neil Parish wanks off to rather than a quantum laser

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can't believe I've became a weather balloon truther. Feel like I've betrayed my Art Bell Coast to Coast tribe.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Private Speech posted:

Worth noting that's self-reported.
The HMRC data is a bit dated but even accounting for inflation in the last two years (as if raises are following it) it's probably closer to £30k: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax

e: In before "that's a survey too":

They mean a different kind of survey, not an opinion one. The kind they do themselves.

It's worth pointing out that there's also a difference between income and wages, as income would also include people on pensions for example. The 33k figure comes from full time employment which will be the highest measure compared to others including non-work income and part time workers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

grobbo posted:

It's the fear that we're being laughed at by those who deserve less but take more.

We are. The media narrative is about persuading us that those people are immigrants, rather than the monied classes.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

70k a year being big money? Nonsense. Here’s the FT to explain that £1 million a year is actually peanuts when you think about it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps rich people should have fewer children if they can't support them.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

ThomasPaine posted:

Wait what?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

lots of "weather balloons" being shot down in the US

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kingturnip posted:

I think you'll find Biden just shot down the luxury gay space communism balloon.

The dream's over, folks.

I really hope it was a Culture Contact vessel, and they took one look at our gender obsession bullshit and went :yikes:

We are a violent race and we deserve what we get.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

smellmycheese posted:

70k a year being big money? Nonsense. Here’s the FT to explain that £1 million a year is actually peanuts when you think about it

That is 100% from the comments section which is every bit as unhinged as YouTubes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Come on over :unsmigghh:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967914

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I’ve been reading that thread over the weekend and I can’t make head nor tail of who’s taking the piss and who’s probably in need of logging off for a bit and going for a walk.

Either way I’m along for the ride, I guess. It’s either light relief from current affairs or enough to keep me up at night, depending on what mood I’m in

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

I’ve been reading that thread over the weekend and I can’t make head nor tail of who’s taking the piss and who’s probably in need of logging off for a bit and going for a walk.

Either way I’m along for the ride, I guess. It’s either light relief from current affairs or enough to keep me up at night, depending on what mood I’m in

This is exactly the right spirit in which to read it, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Microplastics posted:

Did you burn your thumb

Mandoline