Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Dave Syndrome posted:

KurdtLives posted:

In Legends didn't he have a hidden mistress with a possible love child but the kid was someone elses?
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Trioculus
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Triclops
The old EU was wild.

you forgot the Rey beta, https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i'm loving DYING over the trioculus/triclops poo poo

hello i'm triclops and this is my son KEN

KEN!!

EDIT: his mother's name is KENDALINA????

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Friend, your called your cat Norris, you are in no position to mock the happy, loving Palpatine family for their naming conventions.

:colbert:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sentinel Red posted:

Friend, your called your cat Norris, you are in no position to mock the happy, loving Palpatine family for their naming conventions.

:colbert:

his first name is missus because i liked that missus norris absolutely terrorized the harry potter children

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

We haven't even brought up the Moffrences

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I bid you dark greetings here at the highest security meeting we have on the moffship, the mofference.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"TK-420, why haven't you cleaned up the Moffrence rooms yet? You know how messy it gets after those party animals."

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Sheev.

That’s it. That’s the post.

Sheev fucks

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Tarkin's decision to not evacuate the Death Star turned out to be a real MOfffire.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

To be fair, those kids books were pretty much entirely ignored outside of their own series. They might as well be the version of Wayne's World where Cassandra dumps Wayne and then his house burns down.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Sash! posted:

To be fair, those kids books were pretty much entirely ignored outside of their own series. They might as well be the version of Wayne's World where Cassandra dumps Wayne and then his house burns down.
I love that things like The Essential Atlas and The Essential Guide To Warfare seemed to perfect all needed retconning of the Old EU and then Disney gave it all the Thanos snap. Like it got 99% unfucked at then end* :unsmith:

*I didn't read as much of the New Jedi Order and beyond stuff so if I am talking out of my rear end for basing this largely on Wookieepedia blackholes I apologize.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Sash! posted:

It's why its great, the kids books were high octane comedy with weird poo poo involved that just kind of exist for the reference book/wiki nerds to pull their hair out trying to piece together.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

hold up is that our boy trioculus

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I'm the officiant riding the baby Carrack cruiser.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

do you think he has legs?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

my cat is norris posted:

From memory he used to but he recently lost them in an appropriately horrific way.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

my cat is norris posted:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

From memory he used to but he recently lost them in an appropriately horrific way.

Fell into a pool of acid, which claimed his arms and legs, and he was saved by a stormtrooper

"…to my fellow grand moffs, and to the grand admirals, other officers, stormtroopers, bounty hunters, slavelords, and slaves, I bid you all Dark Greetings!"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Can we get Clint Howard to play him?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roWnf0PgecE

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Triclops could use a dermal scrubbing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Triclops could use a dermal scrubbing.

It looks like he's getting one, just very thoroughly.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

excuse me i just read the wiki articles so I'm an expert

Trioculus has an eye up front

Triclops has his third eye on the BACK of his head

get it right

also triclops is a good boy and he would never force Leia to marry him at gun point or w/e was being attempted here!!!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

my cat is norris posted:

also triclops is a good boy and he would never force Leia to marry him at gun point or w/e was being attempted here!!!
If that was the plan it sure isn't working!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
That is actually a droid Leia who agreed to marry Trioculus in order to use her laser eyes to assassinate the holder of the Glove of Darth Vader, Slavelord of Kessel, and Galactic Emperor.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

karmicknight posted:

That is actually a droid Leia who agreed to marry Trioculus in order to use her laser eyes to assassinate the holder of the Glove of Darth Vader, Slavelord of Kessel, and Galactic Emperor.

Duh.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

God so many villains tried to marry Leia. Did anyone start trying to marry Jaina once she was old enough?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

my cat is norris posted:

God so many villains tried to marry Leia. Did anyone start trying to marry Jaina once she was old enough?

Dude from the Bugnest Orgy and Jagged Fel were her immediate suitors

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sash! posted:

If my memory is correct, in the old EU, I think they were retconned at some point as being some bed time stories they told Jacen and Jaina when they were kids, and not actually true stories. Though, they're still crazy even for that. Pretty sure if I was making up a cool bedtime story for my daughter, I wouldn't make up a time I was almost forced into a marriage, but sent a robot double in my place who shot lasers out of it's eyes to kill the groom.

Actually, scratch that, yes I would. But would I also include the father of one of the former enemies, Jabba, coming back for revenge? Only his name is Zorba the Hutt, and he has dreads?

Yes, I may do that as well.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

Something important to know about Star Wars is that at the end of the day EVERYONE thinks they're the rebels. Like I have the misfortune to know more than one person that's a mega conservative Trump lover "we need law and order I hate how immigrants and 'those people' make everything more expensive for us ugh I can't believe a gay person was in a movie why do they have to put politics in everything" level people that think Andor is one of the best TV shows ever made.

People who are like that that are massive Trek fans are the more baffling to me though lol

Andor is a great show, but it's so far about how Saw Gerrera is right: Luthen is forming alliances with liberals, libertarians, neo-feudalists, etc. And the show is being made in a context where those guys are the ones who are thoroughly celebrated (and seemingly 'win') at the end of the Disney Sequel Trilogy.

Like, in the show itself, the segment of the kid's podcast that we hear is curiously nonspecific. The message is inspirational, but it's just saying "freedom is natural, and tyranny is unnatural." Considering that he's writing a manifesto and that he's focused on technology-as-thought-control, I couldn't help but think of Ted Kaczynski. That's not to say that the character is that character, of course, but that there's little preventing appropriation of his rhetoric by the right wing. If you want to prevent EVERYONE from thinking that they're a rebel, you need language that makes a cut, draws a line.

Maarva's speech is a little better in this regard. While she's mainly talking about a nebulous "darkness", there are interesting details: Ferrix was relatively well-off due to its economic arrangements with the Empire. "We kept the trade lanes open, and they left us alone. We took their money and ignored them, we kept their engines churning...". So, when Maarva says "I want Ferrix to continue", she's referring to the loss of that economic independence - perhaps moreso than the conversion of the local hotel into a torture-prison.

Of course, Maarva is obviously against torture, just as the kid is against various imperial atrocities. The point is that their speeches are context sensitive, using vague language that it's presumed that the audience (diegetic and extradiegetic) automatically understands. In this way, the specific badness of the Empire is often taken for granted in Andor - just as it is in the first three Star Wars films.

In a comparable runtime, the Star Wars prequels go into more extensive detail about the failings of the Republic, before finally expressing that the Empire is even worse. Droid slavery is the economic foundation of the Republic, and colonized peoples like the Gungans are arguably treated worse than the Aldani. Consequently, characters like Jar Jar and C-3PO are casually mistreated or outright despised by the 'good guy' characters. In this context, the general lack of droid and non-human representation in Andor could be said to reflect the ideological limitations of these characters. Saw's the only guy with a Chewbacca-equivalent dude on the squad, and he's also the only one with a clearly-defined ideology. He is not a liberal, not a libertarian, not a neo-feudalist.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 13, 2023

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Saw called Mace Windu the n-word

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

No-hands?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nothing surprised me more in a videogame the last five years then when I was playing Fallen Order and all of a sudden Forest Whitaker is on my window

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Want to see this in a boondocks episode

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Nothing surprised me more in a videogame the last five years then when I was playing Fallen Order and all of a sudden Forest Whitaker is on my window

You don't have any blackout curtains?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wonder how Dave's going to dodge killing her. We didn't see her in the background of the senate scenes in Andor, did we?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Riyo Cutechi

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Ghost Dog, except he's got the Journal of the Whills instead of Hagakure, and a lightsaber instead of a samurai sword

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vinylshadow posted:

Wonder how Dave's going to dodge killing her. We didn't see her in the background of the senate scenes in Andor, did we?

Having her killed by the Empire could be a catalyst for the clone rebellion. Papa Palps can easily spin it as the clones were unstable and had to be put down.

The clones know it was the empire because there was no subtly to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Andor is a great show, but it's so far about how Saw Gerrera is right: Luthen is forming alliances with liberals, libertarians, neo-feudalists, etc. And the show is being made in a context where those guys are the ones who are thoroughly celebrated (and seemingly 'win') at the end of the Disney Sequel Trilogy.

Like, in the show itself, the segment of the kid's podcast that we hear is curiously nonspecific. The message is inspirational, but it's just saying "freedom is natural, and tyranny is unnatural." Considering that he's writing a manifesto and that he's focused on technology-as-thought-control, I couldn't help but think of Ted Kaczynski. That's not to say that the character is that character, of course, but that there's little preventing appropriation of his rhetoric by the right wing. If you want to prevent EVERYONE from thinking that they're a rebel, you need language that makes a cut, draws a line.

Maarva's speech is a little better in this regard. While she's mainly talking about a nebulous "darkness", there are interesting details: Ferrix was relatively well-off due to its economic arrangements with the Empire. "We kept the trade lanes open, and they left us alone. We took their money and ignored them, we kept their engines churning...". So, when Maarva says "I want Ferrix to continue", she's referring to the loss of that economic independence - perhaps moreso than the conversion of the local hotel into a torture-prison.

Of course, Maarva is obviously against torture, just as the kid is against various imperial atrocities. The point is that their speeches are context sensitive, using vague language that it's presumed that the audience (diegetic and extradiegetic) automatically understands. In this way, the specific badness of the Empire is often taken for granted in Andor - just as it is in the first three Star Wars films.

In a comparable runtime, the Star Wars prequels go into more extensive detail about the failings of the Republic, before finally expressing that the Empire is even worse. Droid slavery is the economic foundation of the Republic, and colonized peoples like the Gungans are arguably treated worse than the Aldani. Consequently, characters like Jar Jar and C-3PO are casually mistreated or outright despised by the 'good guy' characters. In this context, the general lack of droid and non-human representation in Andor could be said to reflect the ideological limitations of these characters. Saw's the only guy with a Chewbacca-equivalent dude on the squad, and he's also the only one with a clearly-defined ideology. He is not a liberal, not a libertarian, not a neo-feudalist.

"Right" in what sense? He's the most ideologically consistent, and certainly would do the most to purge a lot of the rot that existed in the Late Republic (and probably a good deal beyond that, just to be sure). But I'm not sure he's "right" about how to go about toppling the Empire. His methods explicitly alienate a lot of the interest groups a popular anti-imperial rebel alliance needs to challenge the Empire on a democratic basis. A theme that gets pushed in a lot of the newer EU stuff is "yeah, the Republic sucked across a number of dimensions, but the Empire is way worse." If there's constant infighting and purity spirals among the rebels, the real winner is the Empire, and the current (worse) status quo remains, or the Empire continues to tighten its grip on the galaxy. To the extent that alot of the Empire's current weaknesses (unfamiliarity with local customs, uneven control of outlying sectors, divided government with Old Republic elites fighting Imperial consolidation) will lessen with time, being able to amass a powerful anti-Imperial coalition sooner rather than later seems imperative. Saw's desire to run a more cohesive insurgency seems like a setup to be a constant thorn in the Empire's side, rather than a force that could overthrow it altogether.