Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Send a fuckin mustang after one.

They top out at 41k ft. That’s very impressive for a single engine piston but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The second object was at 40k feet, so I feel like a mustang could have gone up and shot some rudimentary rockets at it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

madeintaipei posted:

Bring back the YF-12 BOMARC

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

The second object was at 40k feet, so I feel like a mustang could have gone up and shot some rudimentary rockets at it.

That didn’t go well when it was F-89 scorpions

I guarantee that incident and the brush fires it started came up when Biden ordered the balloon shot down

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7195440214234369323

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It honestly wouldn't shock me if this poo poo doesn't revive the idea of formalized SAM sites and/or the establishment of AEGIS Ashore in CONUS. It'd be cheaper in the long run.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

That didn’t go well when it was F-89 scorpions

I guarantee that incident and the brush fires it started came up when Biden ordered the balloon shot down

Thought you were going to mention this one; https://science.howstuffworks.com/space/aliens-ufos/ufo-government4.htm

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

T Zero posted:

Always funny to remember that there's one Iranian pilot who has more F-14 kills than every US Tomcat pilot combined.

All the more reason to frankenstein together a tomcat from all available parts and get one for the gipper.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Warbird posted:

All the more reason to frankenstein together a tomcat from all available parts and get one for the gipper.

It is always amusing to watch Growling Sidewinder fight newer planes in the Tomcat, and usually the "one trick that all opponents hate" involves jamming the flaps and effectively mission-killing the plane.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It honestly wouldn't shock me if this poo poo doesn't revive the idea of formalized SAM sites and/or the establishment of AEGIS Ashore in CONUS. It'd be cheaper in the long run.

It's not like these shootdowns cost the US taxpayers a single extra cent, every dollar that was gonna be spent is gonna get spent either on this stuff or training missions.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

It's not like these shootdowns cost the US taxpayers a single extra cent, every dollar that was gonna be spent is gonna get spent either on this stuff or training missions.

I highly doubt that. Everyone of these is further justification on more spending, more platforms, more missiles, and all the corrupt contractor infrastructure to support it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

You're grossly underestimating the grift games of Senators from the states of Montana and Wyoming to attract more money and military spending to their states. We can't allow a missile gap. :colbert:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Oh sure on a political level I could see that I just mean at the operational level this isn't impacting military budgets at all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

OK this is getting stupid

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-shoots-down-flying-object-over-lake-huron-near-canadian-border-1.6270790

quote:

WASHINGTON -

U.S. military fighter jets on Sunday shot down an octagonal object over Lake Huron, the Pentagon said, the latest incident since a suspected Chinese surveillance balloon put North American security forces on high alert.

It was the fourth unidentified flying object to be shot down over North America by a U.S. missile in a little more than a week.

On President Joe Biden's order, a U.S. F-16 fighter shot down the object at 2:42 p.m. local time over Lake Huron on the U.S.-Canada border, Pentagon spokesperson Patrick Ryder said in an official statement.

Is this a ploy by Raytheon to sell more AMRAAMS? :tinfoil:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They’re not using AMRAAMs for these targets. With the balloon there was some speculating that the optical “ring” triggered detonator on the AIM-9 had some advantage over a radar triggered detonator.

I am somewhat skeptical with the original balloon because those solar panels must be good radar reflectors but I guess I can understand the logic a bit? The balloon envelopes are very thin polyethylene - basically giant plastic bags.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

There are dozens of high altitude weather balloons launched every day just in the US. Hundreds around the world. Many of which probably go astray. Which makes that a great vector to hide in.

Now that they are looking for odd objects loitering around where they shouldn’t it’s not that surprising they are finding them.

My guess is this burst of activity will die off soon and they’ll start picking these up outside US airspace and after a while they’ll stop trying.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 13, 2023

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

slidebite posted:

OK this is getting stupid

I happened to be flying in that area today. The Fired up grill at the Wiarton airport is perfectly accessible for an airport restaurant.

From the timing of things I cleared the area something like 4 minutes before it become active. I feel bad for all the people that would have gotten stuck up there just for flying to a remote airport on a sunny day.

At least one person at my home field was bombing around in that area with no idea that it was closed airspace.

helno fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 13, 2023

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

They’re not using AMRAAMs for these targets. With the balloon there was some speculating that the optical “ring” triggered detonator on the AIM-9 had some advantage over a radar triggered detonator.

I am somewhat skeptical with the original balloon because those solar panels must be good radar reflectors but I guess I can understand the logic a bit? The balloon envelopes are very thin polyethylene - basically giant plastic bags.

I've heard that the AIM-9X that shot it down had no warhead at all - just kinetics. Also doesn't the F-22 allow aiming via the pilot's helmet?

It's a tempest in a teapot, though. Like, the balloon reflected enough infrared for a sidewinder if you wanted to do it that way.

Murgos posted:

There are dozens of high altitude weather balloons launched every day just in the US. Hundreds around the world. Many of which probably go astray. Which makes that a great vector to hide in.

It's one reason why weather balloons ascend until they burst.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hmm, I can't find the consent switch on my RAAF model F-111.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

hobbesmaster posted:

You don't want to hit the bit with the solar panels, that's where all the interesting stuff is. They kinda did anyway, but it hit a little above the payload.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

~Coxy posted:

Hmm, I can't find the consent switch on my RAAF model F-111.

Are you sure you’re not in a RCAF model?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sure glad we're at the airspace incursion stage of "Cold War II: Waste Money on Stupid Military poo poo Instead of Feeding or Sheltering People.... Harder" we better at least get some cool planes out of it. How fast and high would you have to fly to outrun modern SAMs?

Got to go to the weirdest air museum I've ever been to today, the Tilamook air museum! Which I'm sure has appeared in this thread before.

One of the last surviving US Navy blimp hangars, this massive beast is made almost entirely of wood! 3,000,000 board feet of heavy timber! It's not in good shape and it leaks pretty bad, needs some sealant and a coat of paint.

Not my pictures:

It's easily visible from the highway, and the massive scale of it intrigued and impressed my girlfriend, who is not a plane OR blimp OR airship nerd by any measure. There was one teenage employee (volunteer?) And like three other guests during our visit. I was, of course, thinking of Nebakenezzer the whole time I was here. This place housed US Navy patrol blimps during WWII, there were originally two hangars, one has been demolished except for the massive concrete pylons used to support the vast hangar doors.

Look how vast this place is:

Half the museum just has RVs and poo poo stored in it, covered in filth from the rotting structure.

This blimp is a little small for its hangar.

Probably the coolest thing they had, two MiGs for some reason! A 17, and I think a 15.

Weird rear end helicopter!

Pusher prop planes!

Blimp size comparison!

Hangar doors and a mini guppie that you can just walk around in!

Here's a train, all the helium used for the blimps arrived via train, where it was pumped to a 140' diameter Horton sphere, then dried and purified by some big compressors I didn't get pictures of because we needed to get back on the road.

E: almost forgot this bizarre display, at the end of the war, when the US was consolidating the various NASs, this Curtis SBC Helldiver was being flown to Corpus Cristi, for unknown reasons it crashed in the mountains surrounding the Tilamook Valley killing its pilot, 50 years later the crash was rediscovered, and the pieces relocated here, and made into one of the more grisly museum displays I've ever seen.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 13, 2023

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Elviscat posted:

Pusher prop planes!

I don’t think Burt Rutan’s autograph on the wheel pants is standard equipment on a Long-EZ.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Please tell me that you know about and have seen the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville. :ohdear:

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've heard that the AIM-9X that shot it down had no warhead at all - just kinetics.

This was debunked by the NORAD commander: https://denvergazette.com/news/was-...cd65ada2b9.html (down a few questions in the article).

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Elviscat posted:

Here's a train, all the helium used for the blimps arrived via train, where it was pumped to a 140' diameter Horton sphere, then dried and purified by some big compressors I didn't get pictures of because we needed to get back on the road.

I think you are missing the train picture.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ardeem posted:

I don’t think Burt Rutan’s autograph on the wheel pants is standard equipment on a Long-EZ.

Uh, is wheel pants the actual name for the landing gear fairings? I shoulda spent more time in the tent, but my GF wanted to dip at that point.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Please tell me that you know about and have seen the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville. :ohdear:

Know of, have not been, a visit has been firmly planned for our next trip to the Portland area (we visit GF's parents down there regularly).

Saukkis posted:

I think you are missing the train picture.

Damnit! It's just the locomotive, but it's a cool old steam locomotive with an open crankshaft.

Unrelated:

Air & Space museums have been kinda a hobby of mine in the last few years, I have one Saturn V and one Space Shittle left to go, I might have to just fly to LA and Houston for a day each to knock them out, since I don't want to visit either city (again) for any other reason, and waiting for coincidence to take me there isn't working. I think after that's done I'll try for every SR-71 and A-12, got a good chunk knocked out already. My life getting a lot more aero/astronautical and a lot less regularnautical in the last year has really made me want to visit more A&S museums too.

Speaking of coincidence, and cool things to go look at, here's a Saturn V and a blackbird parked in bumfuck Alabama.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 13, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Uh, is wheel pants the actual name for the landing gear fairings?

The actual name is landing gear fairings, but "wheel pants" is common enough slang.

You can also call them wheel skirts if you prefer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nope, "wheel pants" has me giggling uncontrollably, and I will be using it exclusively from now on.

The new Vulcan rocket has a skirt that encapsulates its two main engines, which I will now call "rocket pants" moving forward, though "rocket pantaloons" might be more apt.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

The actual name is landing gear fairings, but "wheel pants" is common enough slang.

You can also call them wheel skirts if you prefer.

AKA ‘wheel spats’ or even ‘wheel trousers’ if one is sufficiently British

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/december/flight-training-magazine/what-am-i-wheel-pants

The Supermarine 224 features a particularly luxurious pair of trousers and an inverted gull wing!

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Elviscat posted:

Uh, is wheel pants the actual name for the landing gear fairings? I shoulda spent more time in the tent, but my GF wanted to dip at that point.

Know of, have not been, a visit has been firmly planned for our next trip to the Portland area (we visit GF's parents down there regularly).

Damnit! It's just the locomotive, but it's a cool old steam locomotive with an open crankshaft.

That is an extremely insane drive system, incidentally.

e: fixed quote block

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elviscat posted:

Half the museum just has RVs and poo poo stored in it, covered in filth from the rotting structure.

[…]

Probably the coolest thing they had, two MiGs for some reason! A 17, and I think a 15.

Is the tent set up inside the hangar specifically to protect the museum pieces from falling debris?

That’s kind of funny.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lordofthefishes posted:

That is an extremely insane drive system, incidentally.

e: fixed quote block

It's a Shay!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shay_locomotive

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you want to see some working ones visit the Cass Scenic Railroad in West Virginia, they run up the mountain every day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Midjack posted:

If you want to see some working ones visit the Cass Scenic Railroad in West Virginia, they run up the mountain every day.

I still remember going to this joint as a kid!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

Sure glad we're at the airspace incursion stage of "Cold War II: Waste Money on Stupid Military poo poo Instead of Feeding or Sheltering People.... Harder" we better at least get some cool planes out of it.

More F35 variants

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Arishtat posted:

The Supermarine 224

Boy that's a pretty plane

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sagebrush posted:

Boy that's a pretty plane

I was obsessed with that design when I was a kid. Think I even had a model/toy of it at some point. It just feels so...modern?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The biggest issue about going for every A-12/SR-71 is that one of them is on the CIA campus and there's no way to access it as a civvie. They also won't "make an exception."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Elviscat posted:

Tillamook hotness[/timg]

Yeah its huge and dark and a little depressing, you are going to poo poo your pants when you spend a day at Evergreen museum.

Something I have wondered is how does one go about obtaining aircraft for a museum, and how do they come up with a price? Is it more on the current owner interested in finding a home to display their cool 1 of 1 historically significant planes and driving the price down? Or is it more on museums filling out their collections and competing to obtain more stuff? How do they come up with valuation for an old MiG-15 decaying behind a hangar, or that MiG-29 outside Evergreen where you think hell yeah lets get this thing in the air but then you look at all the plumbing in one wheel well and say oh here's a thought, actually gently caress this? Sure there's some museums built around centerpieces like Udvar-Hazy with the Discovery or again Evergreen with the Spruce Goose, but what about the bottom of the barrel crusty old F-14A at Tillamook, did they get a steal just because they have somewhere to store it? Can I drive the price down low enough that I can have an F-5 on a stick in my front lawn?