Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

We already had a Fate Warriors, it's called Fate/Extella

I tried playing it at some point and holy poo poo is it bad. I think it's the Musou game with the worst feeling controls I have ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I only played the 2nd one, it seemed fine. As someone who doesn't know anything about Fate the story was incomprehensible, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Obviously decided they wanted a bigger name in Musou's than the Senran Kagura devs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Extella and Extella Link are pretty bad yeah, I think I'd sooner replay Warriors of Troy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neither Extella game are even remotely as bad as Troy lol

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I only played the 2nd one, it seemed fine. As someone who doesn't know anything about Fate the story was incomprehensible, though.

Tbf that's cause it was a sequel to a series of dungeon crawlers.

Reive
May 21, 2009

That's sad extella might be my favorite non-musou musou, I dunno what your issue is with the controls I thought they were smoother and gave you more movement flexibility than actual musous, especially with that high speed dash. The game demands you use it to with how aggressive enemies are at taking over bases.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Extella's okay. It looks nice, slightly samey in that it's always just rushing and murdering, especially because most of the allies don't seem capable--it's a big babysitting job. Plus, there were only like 2 characters I like.

I think I got my money's worth out of it but I don't know if I'd recommend it to others.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Extella's gameplay was just cycling really stiff-feeling special moves. The attack button and "combos" might as well have not been in the game at all.
IIRC the normal combos don't even flow into the magic skills at all. It's been ages since I touched that game, so I don't remember exactly what my big issue was but I think it was because your most powerful moves had way too much startup so they just didn't combo from your normal attacks in a satisfying way at all. It was something like that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jack Trades posted:

Extella's gameplay was just cycling really stiff-feeling special moves. The attack button and "combos" might as well have not been in the game at all.
IIRC the normal combos don't even flow into the magic skills at all. It's been ages since I touched that game, so I don't remember exactly what my big issue was but I think it was because your most powerful moves had way too much startup so they just didn't combo from your normal attacks in a satisfying way at all. It was something like that.

This describes at least half of the musou spinoff games as well, to be fair

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
From Coupons: Persona 5 Strikers for PS4 is $7.98 "New" at Gamestop.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/persona-5-strikers-switch---nintendo-switch/234428.html

I enjoyed it as a Musou and at that price it might be alright for someone who hasn't played Persona 5. It is still very much a continuation of the non-Royal story though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This describes at least half of the musou spinoff games as well, to be fair

Yes, most of them are bad.

I haven't played a musou I enjoyed for years and years now. DW9 really loving killed the whole genre.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I thought FEW: three hopes was very good (though it's a switch exclusive so i guess you're out of luck if you're not a nintendo person)

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

So Steam is doing a midweek madness for some of the Koei Tecmo games. Both DW7 and DW8 Xtreme Legends are on sale. Is 7 worth going back for or should I just buy 8 again? I had it for the Vita for forever but I figure it must run better on PC than that handheld.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

7 probably has the better telling of the Shu/Wei/Wu stories, but 8 is stronger mechanically and has more variety in replays. They're complementary, as long as you are in for 2 Dynasty Warriors games.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
How’s D8 Empire compare to XL?

Have the urge to do some dynasty warrioring again.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

It's okay but XL is better.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe empires just fundamentally isn't for me, but I always lose enthusiasm for that game real early, I don't think i've ever taken a campaign out of the early game yet. The gameplay is generic enough already, I think making all the battles generic as well just makes it a little too boring for me, at least the story-based games have some personality.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm not going to lie, the fact that 8 Empires never got english dubbing genuinely killed a lot of the fun of it for me.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm not going to lie, the fact that 8 Empires never got english dubbing genuinely killed a lot of the fun of it for me.

Oh, think I’ll stick with XL, I’m used to all the English dubs!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

:same:

DW8E is fine for what it is, but doesn't really do enough to warrant playing over DW8XL, unless you really want a specific bunch of officers vs another specific bunch of officers. Or create a cursed officer and clone them so the battlefield is nothing but something as ridiculous as this guy:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The DW8 empires DLC movesets are cool and like technically they got backported to DW8XL but they don’t have their EX moves iirc in DW8XL for whatever reason.

When will the DW team quit being cowards and just give me DW gameplay for battles in a ROTK game

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

OneDeadman posted:

The DW8 empires DLC movesets are cool and like technically they got backported to DW8XL but they don’t have their EX moves iirc in DW8XL for whatever reason.

When will the DW team quit being cowards and just give me DW gameplay for battles in a ROTK game

When they go back to letting you play as an officer, maybe.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

:same:

DW8E is fine for what it is, but doesn't really do enough to warrant playing over DW8XL, unless you really want a specific bunch of officers vs another specific bunch of officers. Or create a cursed officer and clone them so the battlefield is nothing but something as ridiculous as this guy:

One of the funniest moments I've ever had in these games was like this- I hadn't realized the option to pull create-a-characters off the internet was enabled on one of my games, and my empire was suddenly invaded by the Pony kingdom, consisting of the main cast of My Little Pony and Xu Chu of all people.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Drakenel posted:

When they go back to letting you play as an officer, maybe.

didnt they do that just one game ago

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

13's PUK let you do it and so did the Sphere of Influence standalone PUK thing

I think 14 and the NA that came after that dropped it again and were both bad tho

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
13 was officer based originally
not that it was very good

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

lurksion posted:

13 was officer based originally
not that it was very good

The PUK made it a lot better, but it still makes you wish you could get 10 working (or at least that was my experience).

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

DW8 Empires is the absolute most musou game to me. Would I call it the best, I don't know, but it's the one that I played at a time to really resonate with and making a character, picking a corner of the map and just going is top-level comfort food gaming to me. One of these days I'll actually sit down and dig 8XL, it'd be nice to have more concrete goals and mission design which I assume that provides, but it's never going to be quite the same.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Crusader Kings Musou when?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
One could argue Bladestorm was an interesting experiment in that vein.

Maybe if they wanted to revive the Genghis Khan line of games?(If they're even 'dead'?)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bladestorm is really cool and I would love a game like that but...you know...good.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The problem being I wouldn't say it was 'bad'.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m still holding out for a Liberty or Death or Pacific Theater of Operations Musou (with whatever the musou equivalent of the war conference minigame would be)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Probably. I admittedly stopped holding out for a good one after 10 for a while and ceased paying attention, if you can forgive me for that.

Something something shake my cane about games in my day.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

13's PUK let you do it and so did the Sphere of Influence standalone PUK thing

I think 14 and the NA that came after that dropped it again and were both bad tho
In addition to these, last year there was Taiko Risshiden V DX (essentially the HD remaster to 2004's Taiko Risshiden V for PC and PS2, but based on 2009's PSP port) and unlike Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence - Ascension, instead of being limited to climbing the samurai ranks or staying at the top, you could play/progress on five basic paths -- samurai, ninja, swordsman (in practice weapons master), pirate/navy, and merchant -- while picking up skills between roles, changing roles, and even taking on side roles such as blacksmith, tea master, and more.

Unfortunately, this one isn't available in the North American Steam region (unlike earlier RTK and NA titles that also didn't get an English localization for PC), but it's available in Japanese on the Nintendo Switch if you're able to import.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

drat, that sounds cool but my Japanese knowledge is limited to like, numbers so it'd be pretty rough to play.

Also get Gust to do a remake of Uncharted Waters 2.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

A musou game set in the Mediterranean would be pretty cool imho (not warriors of Troy we don’t talk about that here)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

haunted bong posted:

A musou game set in the Mediterranean would be pretty cool imho (not warriors of Troy we don’t talk about that here)

a good version of that game would be nice, but even better would be to invite all the legendary generals and warriors of the Mediterranean together for one big party. I'm talking Achilles vs Julius Caesar, Hannibal vs Belisarius, Cleopatra vs Remus, just get completely nuts with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

a good version of that game would be nice, but even better would be to invite all the legendary generals and warriors of the Mediterranean together for one big party. I'm talking Achilles vs Julius Caesar, Hannibal vs Belisarius, Cleopatra vs Remus, just get completely nuts with it

:haibrower: