Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

hey don't feel bad, cheetah skipped a chest with boots in it in his playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
lol. lmao

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I somehow miss the dracoshield in the hyacinth chapter as well

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yunaka's C support with Merrin. :allears:

"Ow! Why did you hit me!"

"You paused right in the middle of sparring!"

"To deliver a stirring monologue about my motives for fighting!"

"Fighting is about killing the other person!"

"But not before you get some witty repartee in!"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cythereal posted:

Yunaka's C support with Merrin. :allears:

"Ow! Why did you hit me!"

"You paused right in the middle of sparring!"

"To deliver a stirring monologue about my motives for fighting!"

"Fighting is about killing the other person!"

"But not before you get some witty repartee in!"

How appropriate. She fights like a cow.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Unless we're at sea then we could, if she would use some breath spray

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm on the ghost fort level and I'm running out of space for all the good dogs I'm rescuing for my mobile dog shelter. These bad owners keep getting in my way, but one way or another we get them to surrender their pets.
I think through if I run out of room then employees will have to take personal responsibility for them.
What I'm saying is they're all going to be wolf riders. No exceptions.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also why did they finally get rid of weapon durability and spell limits just to keep them on wands? I get you only want me to teleport a few times a battle but I should be same to keep casting cure!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

weapon durability is badass

also healing staves probably have limited durability to prevent infinite exp grinding (though theres still some ways of doing that)

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I could have seen staves work on a Three Houses-esque charge system rather than being fully disposable, but you definitely don’t want unlimited staff use in a single battle.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

also healing staves probably have limited durability to prevent infinite exp grinding (though theres still some ways of doing that)

Yeah I miss weapon durability.

The charge system on magic in 3H was pretty great though. I enjoyed just feeling like I could use my warps or rescues without holding on to charges just in case I needed them for a map down the line.

I could pretty happily some sort of per map weapon charge system in the next game, where like Silver is just better than iron but you've fewer charges of it to use per map.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Endorph posted:

No it's not and we, as a society need to understand this.

quote:

I don't mind them having limited use in the battle, but I shouldn't have to buy another one between battles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean theres gotta be some sort of small but constant drain on your finances or else they might as well just give you all items and weapons on a set interval instead of you having to buy stuff (which isnt even me making some sort of mocking bad idea, its how gaiden/echoes worked)

BigOwlGuyBMJ
Dec 13, 2022
I’m out of money pretty fast chasing refines and staff upkeep.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I like the 'managing finite resources' experience in Fire Emblem so I like weapon durability (and limits on exp).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Endorph posted:

i mean theres gotta be some sort of small but constant drain on your finances or else they might as well just give you all items and weapons on a set interval instead of you having to buy stuff (which isnt even me making some sort of mocking bad idea, its how gaiden/echoes worked)

There already is in the acquisition of the weapon and its refinement. Maybe I should have to manage my party's payroll? Or buy feed for all these dogs (well not the dogs, but flamingo feed)

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
holy gently caress chapter 25 is not loving around, that last part is god drat infuriating, you can get stuck in a weird little corridor between a giant death laser and infinitely respawning reinforcements

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Maybe I should have to manage my party's payroll? Or buy feed for all these dogs (well not the dogs, but flamingo feed)
the original creator of the series left after the snes and made a couple of his own games and the best feature those games introduced is actually having to pay half your army and horse raising mechanics for the cavalry units including buying food for the horses. imo this is ftw

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think having no weapon durability but keeping staff durability is a nice balance. I like having long-term, depletable resources to have to manage, but I also don't really love when I'm expected to put resources into forging weapons that will still break, so I like how Engage (and Fates) handled it.

Durability in 3H just felt like a chore, though, because it was mostly managed by just letting you repair everything. If weapon durability comes back in the future I think it would be better without repairing--just commit to weapons being expendable resources rather than something you can just click a button between battles to upkeep.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

Durability in 3H just felt like a chore, though, because it was mostly managed by just letting you repair everything.
i liked this in FE4 but in FE4's case it was the only thing you really had to manage between battles besides arenas, whereas in 3h it was another thing on top of the massive pile

plus in FE4's case it made sense with the larger maps, if a units best weapon broke you either had to retreat them to a castle or switch them to a support role. maps were big enough that weapons breaking were a real concern. in 3h's case unless you were spamming ruptured heaven, not so much

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Also, fe4 had that deal with weapons leveling up and the player getting to sort of build their own legendary weapons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FE4 does sound really cool and I should play it sometime. That seems like a good way to use repairing, where it's actually something you have to manage and think about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Also, fe4 had that deal with weapons leveling up and the player getting to sort of build their own legendary weapons.

i like the fe4 joke in fate/grand order where actual mythological sigurd shows up and someone references his legendary weapon, 'a bloodstained silver sword'

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For Maddening: would it be a reasonable idea to turn Pandreo into a Mage Knight? It feels maybe foolish to get rid of his staff access but he also shows up with excellent stats to immediately pick up a Levin Sword and start kicking rear end.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

I think having no weapon durability but keeping staff durability is a nice balance. I like having long-term, depletable resources to have to manage, but I also don't really love when I'm expected to put resources into forging weapons that will still break, so I like how Engage (and Fates) handled it.

Durability in 3H just felt like a chore, though, because it was mostly managed by just letting you repair everything. If weapon durability comes back in the future I think it would be better without repairing--just commit to weapons being expendable resources rather than something you can just click a button between battles to upkeep.

Eh (unsurprisingly) I enjoyed the 3H version of durability. Providing soft balances on weapons because of durability constraints is better than what they've managed absent durability in either attempt, with Fates basically making tonnes of weapons absolute garbage and Engage having the problem of Killer weapons just being wildly better than everything else because they're overstatted and have no downside in the form of low durability as they do in other games.

Also leveraging that durability for more powerful attacks via combat arts was a nice touch.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Degrading fancy weapons and an innate, sonewhat lovely, class default weapon that doesn't?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

FE4 does sound really cool and I should play it sometime. That seems like a good way to use repairing, where it's actually something you have to manage and think about.

Tbh repairing is mostly a set and forget it thing, literally every weapon except the one with the Nosferatu effect and the utility staves has 50 charges and even with FE4’s map size you’re not burning through that in a chapter unless it’s part of a “farm reinforcements to get a fifty kill slim sword” strat.

Still a cool game though, so you should probably play it. You’re gonna be very confused why Emblem Sigurd is the lance guy since they’re mostly just a vestigial limb or some poo poo on him in FE4 proper.

Edit: just beat Chapter 20, that was really loving dumb. Not the plot twist that Alear was part Fell Dragon, someone made that theory way earlier and it was so obvious in retrospect, but why do they keep letting the bad men just walk away? I know it happens like once or even sometimes twice in FE4 onward but Griss just walking off after dropping a plot bomb and going “exactly as planned”, no teleport magic or spell. this is the first time ever I’ve actually been legitimately frustrated at I think any FE story*

And yeah the last chapter happened but at least there it’s a deliberate “boring knight guy cares a lot about my sister, I should let him leave to look out for her”.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 13, 2023

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think engages are way more interesting in terms of 'here is a resource you need to manage' than weapon durability, not least because you can't loving hoard them for the entire game, then complain about hard enemies are because you refuse to use your good weapons

e: see also how Three Hopes had weapon durability on a per-deployment basis rather than a persistent thing

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fe having historically lovely inventory/ui systems makes durability bad.

Why cant i just chug a tonic from the incentory?

Why the gently caress can i only buy 1 single steel at a time from the flea shop?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Harrow posted:

Unfortunately it's also really old and archaic and drastically needs updating.

Which is why it'd be great if they remade it :confuoot:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tae posted:

Fe having historically lovely inventory/ui systems makes durability bad.

Why cant i just chug a tonic from the incentory?

Why the gently caress can i only buy 1 single steel at a time from the flea shop?

Why can't I combine my partially consumed vulneraries or other consumable items into a full stack?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Why can't I combine my partially consumed vulneraries or other consumable items into a full stack?

Yes, this

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It sucks that that was an actual thing you could do in New Mystery/Awakening and then just kinda disappeared for no reason with infinite use weapons.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

W.T. Fits posted:

Backwash is nasty.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

You could do it in the fates too, nice for consolidating all your low charge heal staves. Just another crime 3h has inflicted on the series

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Working through this game slowly and some ongoing Chapter 10 observations:

- Some of the social stuff is really weird. Mainly the thing where characters talk to you through sleepy vision and praise you when you wake up, and the polishing mechanic where Emblem Rings watch you polish them and say things like "Clean me up good, then!" They're pretty quick so not a huge deal but I just have some moments of "what am I doing here"

- I understand limiting Master Seals early on for balance purposes, but Internal Level affecting XP makes that feel kinda bad because I'm getting suboptimal level ups past 10 if I can't promote people.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My favorite thing about doing Relay trials is collecting other peoples cards and seeing what kind of silly poo poo they put there. So far 2/3 I got are playing on normal/classic.

Here's mine.

My favorite ive seen so far was someone posing Vander in a suit seemingly to sneak up on Alear with "Covert Vander Engage!"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My personal answer to the durability gordian knot is definitely a per map durability. Iron/Steel/Silver have unlimited charges, special weapons are limited. Maybe bring back combat arts and make them always better than a normal attack, with charges of them like spells. For mages, just bring back personal spells, they were cool and gave a great variety to the magic I saw in a campaign and helped each mage feel unique beyond just their stat breakdown. Staves I guess can stay consumable? I dunno I like heal at least working off a per map charge system.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tender Bender posted:

Working through this game slowly and some ongoing Chapter 10 observations:

- Some of the social stuff is really weird. Mainly the thing where characters talk to you through sleepy vision and praise you when you wake up, and the polishing mechanic where Emblem Rings watch you polish them and say things like "Clean me up good, then!" They're pretty quick so not a huge deal but I just have some moments of "what am I doing here"

- I understand limiting Master Seals early on for balance purposes, but Internal Level affecting XP makes that feel kinda bad because I'm getting suboptimal level ups past 10 if I can't promote people.

I always thought the ring polishing was taking the piss out of those weird "touch the girl" games. With the find the right spot and apply more pressure bit added in. The joke just works on me, because, really, you're cleaning their house for them, and the rings seem mostly relieved of a minor annoyance more than anything. I like how Ike proclaims "I will repay you in battle".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does it actually do anything if the rings are left to get filthy?