Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Meet Your Maker stuff

I flagged 2 of my maps as "Social", go try 'em :haw:

Search for Eldora and Ypsilanti in the Social Raid menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This acid cube was meant as a joke. It now has more kills than a majority of my traps, because people keep doing this:

Never underestimate the compulsion to destroy an already-spent trap.

I can see you're really enjoying a new game and all, but even after reading all your posts about it I still have no bloody idea what that game is and what's going on in the screenshots. Which is ok.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Serephina posted:

I can see you're really enjoying a new game and all, but even after reading all your posts about it I still have no bloody idea what that game is and what's going on in the screenshots. Which is ok.

its mario maker op

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rinkles posted:

You get to see replays of deaths?

You can watch any replay of runs on your base, and it has a decent enough interface that bookmarks all the times that person died during their attempts.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This acid cube was meant as a joke. It now has more kills than a majority of my traps, because people keep doing this:
https://i.imgur.com/wewHBWE.mp4

Never underestimate the compulsion to destroy an already-spent trap.

What is this?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Serephina posted:

You make 3D dungeons and other players try to go in and rob you. You will be expected to be one of those "other players" for the rest of the world. It's competitive Tomb Raider.

RC Cola posted:

What is this?

Meet Your Maker, it's in an open beta during Next Fest.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

RC Cola posted:

What is this?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1194810/Meet_Your_Maker/

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Sab669 posted:

I flagged 2 of my maps as "Social", go try 'em :haw:

Search for Eldora and Ypsilanti in the Social Raid menu

Not getting any results? Maybe that part isn't working for the open beta or we need to be Steam buddies or something, idk

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Not getting any results? Maybe that part isn't working for the open beta or we need to be Steam buddies or something, idk

Hmm weird. If I search for them I can find them -- yea, maybe need to be Friends :shrug: Lame

There are separate boxes for Player Name based searches and Map Name searches

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Okay, I guess I can't sit still, so you're getting me reviewing whatever I have left/can download as long as the festival's still up. These are going to be a lot more about how I personally felt about the games than how they work, since there's already a description for them, which I will link to. If there's no link, then the description continues within the post referred to by the game above. If this postscript set is boring compared to my actual review of the games, let me know and I'll just move ahead to my final review.

I agree with what Dr. Video Games 0069 said about Creeping Deck: Pharaoh's Curse. I liked the aesthetics on this a lot and was secretly hoping it would be good if I wasn't amazing at deckbuilders, but no, there's just nothing particularly interesting here.

Going to have to disagree on Takara Cards. Or I guess agree that it won't click for a lot of people, myself included, but if you're the sort of person who finds all the stuff surrounding the basic game that you have to read the menus for interesting (Karma, for instance), then you'll love the full version to death. Doesn't really do a good job presenting the intricacies front and center though.

MEATGRINDER is a very good game that I am terrible at. I keep getting dragged off the edges of cars by the rope of my shoe grappling hook and eating asphalt. I wish all of those of you who do not have this problem a pleasant time of high-octane Speed-style asskicking. I agree with The 7th Guest that MEATGRINDER is probably going to outstay its welcome if it's too long of a game, but I'm a bit more optimistic and think you could get 7-8 hours out of it, if paced well, and the final set of chapters involves you running down from space into the atmosphere on meteors or whatever.

Unlike MEATGRINDER, I was able to get through the demo of Shady Knight, but it didn't feel as smooth as the stuff that FutureCop was able to find a video of. Most of that's on me, but I did notice that the weapons seemed to be a lot more stubborn to pick up than advertised.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 13, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Opening up Octopath 2 demo and the same 8 classes are the same 8 classes here... going in with an open mind hoping they changed things but lol so far

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

gently caress yeah

i don't imagine my first base is designed all that well but it claimed a victim in less than 5 minutes so I'm pretty chuffed

https://i.imgur.com/nXj4KeF.mp4

this game rules, "demo" my rear end

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
MYM seems like something I wouldn't enjoy myself but very much want to see other people playing/talking about, these GIFs are very good

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

FutureCop posted:

As a fellow big fan of ARPGS but also one who likes to avoid the pace-killing avalanche of difficult to parse loot from games like Grim Dawn and PoE:

Well, they're definitely the obvious answer with the various Souls games (Elden Ring, Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne, Sekiro, etc) and Soulslike games (The Surge 1-2, Remnant From the Ashes, etc) since they have more simple but meaningful loot, but since it sounds like you're looking for a top-down experience, these might be out: figured I'd mention them just in case.

I think games like Hades and Curse of the Dead Gods can fit this bill, unless you're specifically not looking for a run-based roguelike experience. In a similar roguelike vein but with a more story-focused progression to it, maybe try Children of Morta?

Could maybe play Magicka 1-2: those have some fun action similar to those games you listed, along with a great creative spellcasting system. I suppose it's missing long-term loot and builds though.

Definitely consider looking into the Y's series which are some fun and simple ARPGs, as well as other Nihon Falcom games like Xanadu Next.

If you're got a Playstation 3 or 4, consider Dragon's Crown?

The Monster Hunter series definitely has meaningful loot that you craft, and its cool to build your own custom armor set with skills for all sorts of hunting styles.

You might also have fun with Vermintide 2? Fun to decide a class, weapon setup along with cool skill build while hacking away in good coop fun.

One of my most risky recommendations: maybe try Lost Ark? I had fun with it, but I will say, it is definitely a KMMO in all the bad ways, and does take way too long to get good.

Wow, thanks for all of these recommendations, they really fit the bill for the most part. I wanted to enjoy hades but I'm not really a rogue-like guy, despite many attempts at various watered down versions of the genre.

I've played everything else you recommended with the exception of Vermintide(maybe someday) and those are all games I enjoy, especially Dragons Crown and the top-down Ys games (not as much of a fan of the party based ones but those are great too)

I ended up going with Victor Vran which really fit the bill for a more simple ps2-era style ARPG.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Planet of Lana

POL is likely to be this year's INSIDE, it's already got a lot of hype and buzz around it, it's certainly beautiful, but will it actually match Playdead's walky masterpiece?

Probably not, but I think it will still be decent. I mean, the trouble with cinematic platformers of this nature is that they all tend to fall into the same gameplay tropes. Pull a box to reach a higher cliff! Push a box to reach a higher cliff! Hide in this grass until it's safe! You also have a companion and so you get the Ico tropes of 'stay here!' 'follow me!' 'can you reach that?' It's basically a Greatest Hits of past cinematic platformers but without much challenge. But some people prefer that, so it might appeal to those who enjoyed GRIS, for example.

A Guidebook of Babel

The afterlife seems very hectic. People's souls are swallowed by pufferfish, which then spit them out onto the docks to be shepherded onto a ship called the Babel. But things aren't so cozy at the moment, as a long of problematic things are happening, and it's up to you to alter events to keep everyone alive. You do this by replaying story events and using a magical pen to rewrite the status or position of objects.

This gives Babel sort of a Ghost Tricky vibe, although without the real-time events/countdown. Sometimes a character is doomed in a current quest, and the only way to save them is to actually leave that scene and go back to an earlier one to rewrite events there. So I think that could be quite a lot of thinky fun if everything is weaved together well in the full game.

Wandering Sword

Ah, man. This demo is good, and I feel bad for the devs of this game. Clearly it's inspired by Live-a-Live's combat, and it's HD-2D, and the detail gone into the game means that they've surely been working on it for a couple of years. But then Square drops a Live-a-Live HD-2D remake in 2022... so now everyone's going to think that this dev team was trying to copycat or ride its success, rather than just being inspired. I'm sure they caught a glance at the LAL remake at some point or another, don't get me wrong. But I doubt this went into development AFTER the remake announcement.

Anyway, if you like LAL's combat, if you like HD-2D visuals, how about a Wuxia RPG with those things? There's also Qi and Cultivation related leveling... it looks like attacks/moves, class specialty, and base stats all level up/upgrade in different ways, and there may also be separate leveling for things like Swordplay? I got "Collection EXP" for picking an item up off the ground. It seems like the game could be pretty system-heavy, which is kind of the opposite of LAL. LAL kept combat and leveling simple so as to let the different stories/genres/settings take center stage (like the fighting game chapter is just JRPG Megaman basically lol).

A good demo to end my Next Fest on.

Alright, that's 62 demos played overall. I've probably played more demo builds in the past week than any game journalist has ever played at an E3 (even before the crazy lines). Next Fest loving rules. Now it's time to rank what I played. I'll edit my post once I've worked it out.

S-Tier: Vividlope, MEATGRINDER
A-Tier: Wandering Sword, Coven, Radio the Universe, The Darkest Files, Valfaris: Mecha Therion, The Tartarus Key, Gravity Circuit
B-Tier: Planet of Lana, Elypse, Slave Zero X, Grim Guardians, Rusted Moss, Full Void, Boti: Byteland Overclocked, Zid Journey, System Shock, I Am Future, Mr. Saitou, Cavern of Dreams, Afterimage, Prison City, Unmurk, Hot Heat Reset, Curse Crackers, Decarnation, A Guidebook of Babel, Nocturnal, Shadows of Doubt
C-Tier: Stack Gun Heroes, DynoPunk, Picayune Dreams, Painter Simulator, Picto-Pull, The Last Case of Benedict Fox, Affogato, Koa & the Five Pirates of Mara, Shumi Come Home, Teslagrad 2, WitchSpring R, Crystals of Irm, The Ramsey, Scene Investigators, Bzzzt, The Repair House, The End of the Sun, Boxes, Glitched
D-Tier: Troublemaker, Gripper, Cynthia: Hidden in the Moonshadow, Mail Time, Pixelshire, Glitch Busters, Cosplay Club, Schism, Star Hearts, Astra: Fading Stars, Legends of Kingdom Rush, Last Vanguard, Aquarist
F-Tier: A Sister's Journey, solely because it wouldn't run on this notebook's 3060. Dunno why, but they never figured it out. Sorry dev! :(

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 13, 2023

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Ciaphas posted:

this game rules, "demo" my rear end

It is the full game, it's just only available as an open beta through the 13th for now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Chieves posted:

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

I'm enjoying the core gameplay of this so far quite a bit, but so far it's a bit maddening how little time there is between cutscenes. I'm on chapter 8 or something. Does this ratio improve more over time? Knowing that it was a Vita game, I have a feeling that they made it bite size intentionally.

My memory is a bit hazy, but at the very least the dungeons get progressively more lengthy and devote more time to monster fighting. I thiiink there's also a couple of spots where the plot slows down a bit and you can just go off and do side content without feeling pressured. IIRC, the chapter breaks are kinda wacky because the latter half of the game is bigger and more involved, so chapter 8 might very well be in the "technically the tail end of the very decompressed setup/tutorial" phase of the game.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Barreft posted:

Opening up Octopath 2 demo and the same 8 classes are the same 8 classes here... going in with an open mind hoping they changed things but lol so far

I think 2 now has inputs or contributions from the rest of the (or specific other?) characters in a given character's scenario, something the first game was criticized for not having? It doesn't sound like these inputs/contributions will be particularly deep but I do remember it felt really weird to me having 8 characters and every scenario only ever cared about one at a time, until you cleared all 8 and started doing the main joint stuff. Which was an obvious easy out for the devs given that the structure was such that they couldn't account for you having a given character at a given point, so all the individual scenarios were really just solo affairs narratively.

If all they added was a little bit of cross interactions but kept everything else exactly the same but with a new story that's pretty slim offerings to justify slapping a 2 on it and charging 60 dollardoos, I feel...

e.: pretty sure it's eight new characters with eight new classes? not sure what the demo covers, maybe an intro where you play as the original 8?

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 13, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Huh, just noticed Chivalry 2 is on sale in impulse range.

Is the extended content and DLC worth bothering with?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I don't know anything about hockey but the Tape To Tape demo is a lot of fun.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Apparently in Meet Your Maker you can just put whatever weapon you want in either of your Loadout slots? I just watched a friend make very quick work of a room I was very proud of because he is using both guns insteaad of the 2-or-3 shot gun and the sword like virtually everybody else:

(this wasn't the map he made quick work of, I'm very surprised it took him 35 minutes to beat this map :haw:)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

RC Cola posted:

What game do I play next Steamworld heist Persona 4 Golden, Othercide, HAAK, or Nioh 2?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
are there any first impressions of how returnal is gonna run on PC?

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

Bumhead posted:

Huh, just noticed Chivalry 2 is on sale in impulse range.

Is the extended content and DLC worth bothering with?

not really -- it's just cosmetics (and some in-game currency), but if you do care about that sort of stuff I'd probably take that money and go for the battle pass instead.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

KazigluBey posted:

e.: pretty sure it's eight new characters with eight new classes? not sure what the demo covers, maybe an intro where you play as the original 8?
i think it's eight new characters but with the original classes, it's just that the classes have had changes since the original

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Foul Fowl posted:

are there any first impressions of how returnal is gonna run on PC?

Considering how every single PC port in the past couple years has gone, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "probably bad", OP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Infinity Gaia posted:

Considering how every single PC port in the past couple years has gone, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "probably bad", OP.

Sony's ports are generally pretty good, even great.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Sony's ports are generally pretty good, even great.

I recall HZD being kinda bad (or maybe even pretty bad?) at launch. How was GOW when it first came out?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Sab669 posted:

I recall HZD being kinda bad (or maybe even pretty bad?) at launch. How was GOW when it first came out?

Horizon was rough for like a month and then was fixed to be above average. Every other Sony port has had a good track record.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Death stranding’s PC port was basically flawless, I’ve heard nothing but good things about GOW’s port, I would hesitate to call monster hunter rise’s port perfect since it did have one very harmful bug for a few days but for most players it had no issues.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Monster Hunter Rise is not a Sony port.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

OP said “PC port”

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Sab669 posted:

GoW had solid performance on launch even if it had high system requirements to turn everything to max settings. HZD had severe issues with hard crashes to desktop at launch but it received regular, frequent patches for months until it was completely stable.

I'd put more faith in a Sony PC port than most companies today.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I mean they definitely did a good job fixing HZD. I had no issues by the time I picked it up, but I remember a lot of bad press initially. I think there was even an issue with the player character not running straight if you just held down W? lol

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Too late I'm deep into steamworld heist but that's next on the list I think

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

neither is death stranding, that had an odd dual-publisher arrangement where sony managed the PS version but 505 managed the PC version

the ports that sony have managed themselves are generally good but they handed returnal off to a studio they haven't used before (climax studios)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

now this is gaming

https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1625177903205072897?s=20

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

No

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Finally, a cat girl in my samurai game

She'll go next to the wrestler guest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

she's no Melinda Megamelons