Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It makes sense since they regard the Emperor as false, therefore they are loyal to a bad cause. They're proud of being disloyal to a false emperor.

You can't be disloyal to a ruler that isn't legitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Word Bearers know that they're traitors. Betrayal is a holy act.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

You can't be disloyal to a ruler that isn't legitimate.

You can, it just changes whether or not disloyalty is cool and good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Now the Siege is almost ended, is it worth reading through all of it, or should I just jump on a wiki before the Death and the End?

All of it, no. Find a reading guide and hit the high points. There are some excellent books in the series, but the lows are very bad.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Expectations for the Abnett siege are probably irrationally high but I have full faith Abnett will ram a masterpiece through my skull.

Haven't been this excited for a book since Rythm of War in the stormlight saga.

Looking forward to the endless pages of discussion spoilers

Is there any talk about how soon the second book will follow up?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mikojan posted:

Is there any talk about how soon the second book will follow up?

Do we even know if it was one long finished book that was split in two for release reasons? Or if the second part still needs to be written?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

CottonWolf posted:

Do we even know if it was one long finished book that was split in two for release reasons? Or if the second part still needs to be written?

Abnett was probably going to do an Abnett with the ending so they told him it was one book and as he was wrapping it up they said "actually it's 2, you have another 600 pages."

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
People are predicting how part one ends - smart money is Horus vs Sanguinius.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Z the IVth posted:

Abnett was probably going to do an Abnett with the ending so they told him it was one book and as he was wrapping it up they said "actually it's 2, you have another 600 pages."

Then Abnett resolves the ending in the first ten pages and the rest of the book is just entire pages with the words "gently caress you" copy-pasted a milion times. The Codex Astartes calls this maneuvre "pulling a Spider Jerusalem".

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Angry Lobster posted:

the rest of the book is just entire pages with the words "gently caress you" copy-pasted a milion times.

I like to imagine that Dan did this during the couple of years when he and Black Library management had their falling out.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

"Dan we got the manuscript for your next book but we're worried the phrase 'eat a dick' over and over again won't work with our upcoming codex minis'

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
It's going to be fun to see which bat poo poo insane theory comes true.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Trast posted:

It's going to be fun to see which bat poo poo insane theory comes true.

This but for Bequin. That trilogy is my favourite Abnett work yet (Know No Fear is close behind though).

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

DaysBefore posted:

This but for Bequin. That trilogy is my favourite Abnett work yet (Know No Fear is close behind though).

Hopefully good times ahead.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Azubah posted:

"Dan we got the manuscript for your next book but we're worried the phrase 'eat a dick' over and over again won't work with our upcoming codex minis'
"Oh, does the Codex Dickus not support my action?"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm really, really hoping for a King in Yellow tie-in.
And if they're gonna wrap up John Grammaticus and his merry band of travelling eternals, i loving hope they make it count.

Even if we don't deserve the former, we are abso-loving-lutely owed the latter.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm thinking it's Dorn, possibly missing a bit or two.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Duzzy Funlop posted:

And if they're gonna wrap up John Grammaticus and his merry band of travelling eternals, i loving hope they make it count.

What if it's something really dumb like John Grammaticus deciding he will change his name to Gregor Eisenhorn and Ollanius Persson will change his name to Ibram Gaunt and then they will wipe their memories?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What if it's something really fun like John Grammaticus deciding he will change his name to Ciaphas Cain and Ollanius Persson will change his name to Ferik Jurgen and then they will wipe their memories?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Juergen is Trazyn the Infinite in disguise.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ok, finished Bloodlines and agree now that it's very likely a Genestealer cult. But hey, he's a cop who gets results!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Juergen is Trazyn the Infinite in disguise.

:hmmyes:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

I bet all those "melta" shots are suspiciously green.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Well he’s always got loads of things in his backpack. Like he collects stuff.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

A Nick Kyme novella followed by a Gav Thorpe novella? They could use this poo poo as a spike strip what with how much momentum it kills.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

What if it's something really fun like John Grammaticus deciding he will change his name to Ciaphas Cain and Ollanius Persson will change his name to Ferik Jurgen and then they will wipe their memories?

Please don't even joke about this, somewhere a monkeys paw is trembling

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Isnt the king in yellow stuff from the Bequin book happening at this point almost a thousand years before the current timeline? Ravor is hundreds of years before Gaunt, right? And now were a ways into M42?
I mean, im on record as really disliking the last book with the king in yellow stuff, but i don't really see how it can be brought to a conclusion that affects anything outside the Abnettverse part of 40K

Edit: its 40k, i guess anything can happen and time is a construct in the warp, i just find it weird nothing about those events would have spilled into the dark imperium and later books if it was planned to effect the larger plot.

Nuclear War fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 14, 2023

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Nuclear War posted:

Isnt the king in yellow stuff from the Bequin book happening at this point almost a thousand years before the current timeline? Ravor is hundreds of years before Gaunt, right? And now were a ways into M42?
I mean, im on record as really disliking the last book with the king in yellow stuff, but i don't really see how it can be brought to a conclusion that affects anything outside the Abnettverse part of 40K

Edit: its 40k, i guess anything can happen and time is a construct in the warp, i just find it weird nothing about those events would have spilled into the dark imperium and later books if it was planned to effect the larger plot.

We know Ravenor “dies badly;” it could be that they fail against the King in Yellow and the consequences of that failure aren’t really known or felt until M42.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, it could be one of those things like the end of the Carrion Throne trilogy where we, the reader, knows how hosed up something is but the Imperium itself doesn't know that there's another shoe that'll drop.

How long has the Indomitus Crusade been going on, anyhow? Because (Carrion Throne ending spoiler) the Golden Throne only had about 100 years left before it stopped working when Bobby G came through the webway portal on Luna.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
the ending of carrion throne with the inquistor walking into the meeting going "NUKE EVERYTHING THEY'RE TRYING TO CLONE THE EMPEROR" was just an a+ climax. good poo poo.

Also "Our children would have been incredible" drat those books ruled.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, they are very good books and I thank this thread for recommending them.

I wonder how long it took the Mechanicum to replace the Fabricator-General.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Spinosa and Crowl, but especially Crowl, rule. Crowl going full Joker is really fun

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Preechr posted:

We know Ravenor “dies badly;” it could be that they fail against the King in Yellow and the consequences of that failure aren’t really known or felt until M42.

We know that Gaunt thinks he dies badly, but a lot of characters from that series faked their deaths so we don’t know what actually happened. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ravenor actually does die badly though.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That could easily be Gaunt misremembering that Ravenor was only nearly killed in a horrific manner during the Thracian Atrocity, and there's no particular reason why a Commisar would know a ton about a former Inquisitor from quite a different Segmentum.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ravenor seems to be a rather influential philosophical thinker in Gaunt's day, so I guess it's kind of a "Socrates died badly" thing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

That could easily be Gaunt misremembering that Ravenor was only nearly killed in a horrific manner during the Thracian Atrocity, and there's no particular reason why a Commisar would know a ton about a former Inquisitor from quite a different Segmentum.

Presumably Ravenor wrote The Spheres of Longing, the work Gaunt knows him for, some time after he became an inquisitor, which would be after thracia.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

These were fun:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/14/in-the-grim-darkness-of-the-far-future-there-is-only-love/

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

We know for a fact Nayl and other retinue members were widely believed dead long before they died (even the denouement of Hereticus gives Nayl an inaccurate death date). I have full confidence that Ravenor’s tragic death was widely reported, regardless of whether it happened or not.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Any decent AoS novels that are good to start out with? Trying to avoid accidentally grabbing something with an extremely boring Stormcast main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Wasn't Prospero basically a Psyker paradise world after Magnus showed up and helped kill all the Enslavers? It kinda sounds like the best way to handle the threat posed by Psykers is to pool resources together and act as a support network for one another.