Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
more like a mod for the wrestling game do jour and it escalates until you have to dead space your way out of the arena because the audience got ate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think the Martyr novel should be turned into a first person game.

In viewing playthroughs of the DS1 remake, a thought occurs to me- by my understanding the player community generally hates jumpscares; however, DS1 is loaded with jumpscares, including any number of dumb trivial ones. As far as I know these jumpscares don't get the same level of hate. Why is that? Is it because they're in a third person setting, so the player is less embodied?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People aren't consistent. Most horror has jump scares especially video games. If someone doesn't like a thing they complain about the jump scares to make it sound dumb and let everyone know they are better than it. If something everyone thinks is cool has jump scares no one cares or even thinks about it. And yes Dead Space has one roughly every 40 seconds.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

In viewing playthroughs of the DS1 remake, a thought occurs to me- by my understanding the player community generally hates jumpscares; however, DS1 is loaded with jumpscares, including any number of dumb trivial ones. As far as I know these jumpscares don't get the same level of hate. Why is that? Is it because they're in a third person setting, so the player is less embodied?

in the original DS1, at least, it was mostly because the game let you know immediately that it's gonna be a big stupid space haunted house with a lot of loud noises and screechy violin music. it's a game whose whole point is to get your blood pumping and not much else beyond that, so i'm less offended when it pulls out dumb startles compared to other horror games that are trying to build an atmosphere of tension and dread

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

A lot of the scripted jumpscares in DS also serve a purpose. Giving you a glimpse of a new enemy, or pulling your attention in a specific direction to show off a set piece, etc.

And then sometimes the game is an rear end in a top hat and has a vent fan explode directly over your head for no reason.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Or sprinklers come on with a giant screeching sound.

...I just realized, the interconnected-yet-linear layout of DSR would be perfectly suited to a sort of Hunk-style plot-free traversal challenge DLC.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tofu except instead of a knife you’re one giant boot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Being in third person alleviates some of the tension, being directed as a sci-fi haunted house where you are always alert is another. I think the game is also just mixed very well, ambient sound is an industrial zone from hell so when something does start screaming it’s not that great of a peak in audio. Also you’re Space Arnold, knowing you can face all threat makes the release part of the tension a smoother transition than scrambling to find a locker.

I can handle dead space easily but a puppet combo game is just the worst combo of deathly silent ambience and killer chase music that blows out your speakers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Evil Kit posted:

The environments could have been cool, but then you realize so much gets copy-pasted you might find yourself doing double takes and be struck by a sense of deja-vu as you wonder if you hadn't already been somewhere that's actually new already.

Worth noting that this isn't an exaggeration. A ton of the monster rooms are the exact same room with a different skin on it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

What makes DSRs horror style so tasty to eat in large bites to me is the consistency. It never stops being loud, scary, monster shows up, monster doesn't show up, machinery is loud and scary, monsters are loud and scary. It's relentless and it trains you to enjoy the jump and worry/focus on whether the jump is a real threat or a fakeout.

It's also helped by having really good sound design and benefitting greatly from a surround sound/nice headphone setup

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like when jump scares startle me but not scare me

Jump startles

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jump scares have a sliding scale of obnoxiousness and Dead Space usually doesn't violate this(or your ears.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

OxMan posted:

What makes DSRs horror style so tasty to eat in large bites to me is the consistency. It never stops being loud, scary, monster shows up, monster doesn't show up, machinery is loud and scary, monsters are loud and scary. It's relentless and it trains you to enjoy the jump and worry/focus on whether the jump is a real threat or a fakeout.

It's also helped by having really good sound design and benefitting greatly from a surround sound/nice headphone setup

Also when the monster DOES jump out you attack it with a flying saw blade on a gravity tether and gorily carve it into pieces. The fact that your reaction to the jump scares in Dead Space is to kick the poo poo out of the thing with power tools gives them a nice release when they happen instead.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I kind of want to see if it's possible to hack the game to pull the camera back farther, I want to know how much Dead Space "cheats" because sometimes a necromorph is like loving Solid Snake and the second one of their tentacles clips into the camera then they start screaming like banshees.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

al-azad posted:

I kind of want to see if it's possible to hack the game to pull the camera back farther, I want to know how much Dead Space "cheats" because sometimes a necromorph is like loving Solid Snake and the second one of their tentacles clips into the camera then they start screaming like banshees.

my guess is that their AI is rigged such that most of the enemies only do their vocals when they're within the camera's FOV for X+ seconds, but i'm alright with that for the combination of the jump-in-your-chair surprise and that it gives the necromorphs a sinister pack intelligence that makes them just that little bit scarier

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I also wanna compliment DSR for some really nice representation- sliding gender-neutral bathrooms, same sex relationships and NB characters into the narrative pretty effortlessly. At least the future resource scarcity dystopia isn't all bad!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Necromorphs just want to invite everyone into their polycule and the translation of the marker signals is "be gay, eat flesh"

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Discendo Vox posted:

I genuinely never like jump scares. Just feels cheap at this point. The human response is fully understood and everyone knows how to pull it off. And the sensation of my nerves getting an electric shock is just unpleasant. If Dead Space didn't have them I'd like it more.

But! I like just about everything else about dead space 1/2 so its still great :v:. With jumpscares being so rampant many things would be inaccessible if I didn't trot through them.

Its what makes me take notice of stuff like Signalis even more. The quiet confidence that game has in itself is refreshing; its here to do a thing and you're allowed to feel whatever you want about it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I also want a secret ending where the Marker and entire associated ideology is replaced with Peng.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Imo getting jumpscared because a Necromorph was quietly stalking you for several seconds and then you suddenly notice him right behind you is good. Getting jumpscared because one exploded out of a wall vent 15 feet away so that you can safely stasis and cut him down is just a random combat encounter with a horror theme.

Or in other words, it's good to have scares come about because you weren't paying attention, not because they teleported in. It puts you better into that heightened awareness that those kinds of scares are meant to evoke without just FNAF screaming in your face.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Mindblast posted:

I genuinely never like jump scares. Just feels cheap at this point. The human response is fully understood and everyone knows how to pull it off. And the sensation of my nerves getting an electric shock is just unpleasant.

God, :same:. I love the physical feeling of watching/playing something with creeping dread, but the actual jumpscares loving suck. I HATE the feeling of being startled, ha.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only genuinely good jumpscare was in Eternal Darkness. You know the one.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Paranormasight looks cool. I've never played a horror VN before but I think I'm going to give it a shot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

The only genuinely good jumpscare was in Eternal Darkness. You know the one.

When it looks like your memory card has failed?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I went into Eternal Darkness aware of the tub scene but nothing can really prepare you for the tub scene.

The best scare for me was the hanging corpse because no one talked about it and my sanity was topped off so I didn't have the wherewithal to understand it's scripted.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i wish i played eternal darkness without having heard about it before because that game was a massive letdown

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Vermain posted:

there was supposedly some internal capcom documents detailing the original planned RE6.5 that would've involved leon and sherry hopping around europe, using RE6's core gameplay mechanics, before it was scrapped and RE7 took its place

Hogama posted:

Here's the tweets for ease of reference, though.

Thanks to both of you for filling in the info!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

al-azad posted:

I went into Eternal Darkness aware of the tub scene but nothing can really prepare you for the tub scene.

I had one of the lead designers on Eternal Darkness as a teacher back in college, and he mentioned that he regretted doing the tub scene just because of how cheap a quick zoom in -> scream jumpscare is.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I presume your prof became a teacher after being highly involved in such a lauded game because the environment at Silicon Knights was so bad that it killed any desire to stay in the industry?

Or was it the regular reasons, like dealing with crunch?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Agent Escalus posted:

I presume your prof became a teacher after being highly involved in such a lauded game because the environment at Silicon Knights was so bad that it killed any desire to stay in the industry?

Or was it the regular reasons, like dealing with crunch?

iirc he mentioned it was to get away from crunch, yeah

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
And he went into education, where teachers regularly spend evenings doing extra work?

I hope it pays better where you are than it does where I am, because otherwise lol.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Evil Kit posted:

Play with a friend, and watch as they squander one of the few good opportunities they had to make DS3 at least somewhat unique.

It's bad. Real bad. The fact is it's a perfectly mediocre title that basically dumps on the last two games via a very mediocre plot and just absolutely horrible character writing, the worst of which is Ellie's character assassination. Especially if you're just coming fresh off Ellie being a fantastic character who is independent, takes care of herself and holds her own to a totally useless damsel-in-distress.

There are some new enemies, like Faster Slasher but it's axes instead of bone blades, and Just A Human With A Gun. The environments could have been cool, but then you realize so much gets copy-pasted you might find yourself doing double takes and be struck by a sense of deja-vu as you wonder if you hadn't already been somewhere that's actually new already.

There's a couple of cool set pieces, and the weapons system is kinda neat, but overall it's just, ugh. Frustrating. It's worth an experience if you can get it super cheap, and def recc playing it with a friend so you have someone else to suffer with.

Cheers, my only Xbox mate has little interest at the moment so I'm going solo. Only about 2 hours in but it already feels more like Tomb Raider in space than Dead Space. The lighting seems worse than DS2, or maybe it's just the overall art style, and gently caress microtransactions for weapon mods etc.

Even at this point I hope they skip remaking 2 and 3 and just make a Dead Space 4. Not bothered about a Halloween 2018 job where they just go their own way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Moon-sized psychic flesh planets is some Junji Ito poo poo and I really want them to follow up on that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

al-azad posted:

Moon-sized psychic flesh planets is some Junji Ito poo poo and I really want them to follow up on that.

It is really cool but I do feel like it's something very hard for them to scale. Like in the third game you have a fight with one of the moons and you shoot it in the face. I'm no astronomer but I feel like if something is large enough to be a moon then a human with a fancy flashlight shouldn't be able to do much against it.

Maybe have a level where you're on the moon? Walking over the flesh of transformed people and having necromorphs attack you by physically assembling themselves from the biomass in the wall as you walk by

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well that universe does have something that can shoot a moon in the face...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Maybe have a level where you're on the moon? Walking over the flesh of transformed people and having necromorphs attack you by physically assembling themselves from the biomass in the wall as you walk by

I vaguely remember reading (warhammer 40k) about a planet like this that the orkz accidentally found in the warp. They'd have to fight monstrosity's until they all finally died. Then they'd get reassembled and go again. If they chopped into the ground, it'd spit blood.

Orkz being orkz, they were basically in heaven.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It would be the ultimate execution of the classic final level in every 90s era video game: haunted meatworld.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

Dead Space 3 is just a stealth prequel to Hellstar Remina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://www.fangamer.com/products/dead-space-isaac-plush
https://twitter.com/Fangamer/status/1625544397537546240

:3: