Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
lol @ awful artwork having negative beauty

I figured it was time to start prettying up the colony in my recent tribal naked brutality run, starting in tundra close to the north pole -- now that no one's at acute risk of freezing or starving to death, getting rid of those negative moodlets is worthwhile. We only have three colonists and no one is good at or has any passion for art, and I actually laughed out loud when I saw Cheetah's first small sculpture with a beauty rating of -5. At least she tried :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
All of a sudden, I'm finding that I can't train elephants because "no usable food". Which is ridiculous, because I had no trouble doing it before. I have kibble, hay, corn, meals... Is there some kinda bug?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lysidas posted:

lol @ awful artwork having negative beauty

I figured it was time to start prettying up the colony in my recent tribal naked brutality run, starting in tundra close to the north pole -- now that no one's at acute risk of freezing or starving to death, getting rid of those negative moodlets is worthwhile. We only have three colonists and no one is good at or has any passion for art, and I actually laughed out loud when I saw Cheetah's first small sculpture with a beauty rating of -5. At least she tried :allears:

I wonder if you can cause raiders to freak out with enough bad art on the perimeter of the base

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-iFOEOgIM

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HolHorsejob posted:

All of a sudden, I'm finding that I can't train elephants because "no usable food". Which is ridiculous, because I had no trouble doing it before. I have kibble, hay, corn, meals... Is there some kinda bug?

There are a lot of little reasons why this could happen, double-check to make sure that the trainer has access to the food (check their zoning, check that you can actually path to the shelf), that no one else is using the food (for instance, other animals trying to eat from the kibble that you'd use), and that the food is in a stockpile (corn on the ground in your fields does not count, I think). To test all of this you could put that pawn in a caravan, have them load up some food, then try to go and train the elephant and see if there's still an issue

Otherwise it's a mod messing things up

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If you're running mods to add sidearms and such, maybe also check to make sure your pawns aren't maxed out on carry weight and unable to pick up the training treats?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BattleMaster posted:

I wonder if you can cause raiders to freak out with enough bad art on the perimeter of the base

I don’t think you can bad mood raiders enough to make them do poo poo, but it would be fun to try and just annoy/scare them into throwing tantrums and killing each other.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

jokes posted:

I don’t think you can bad mood raiders enough to make them do poo poo, but it would be fun to try and just annoy/scare them into throwing tantrums and killing each other.

I've been interested in doing a reverse psychic harmonizer attack, where you take a prisoner, make them as miserable as possible, give them a harmonizer, lock them in to a coma. They should only project their bad mood to other raiders.

The trouble to do, the limited range, and the debatable effect means it's not really worth it. However, it would be a new and innovative war crime.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Rimworld: A new & innovative war crime

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

With the new Nutrient Paste Expanded you could put them in a shack out by raider entry points and automate their feedings. Mindscrew, dark, hot or cold room, tiny ugly room, then remove their legs so that they can't actually have a mental break

You could create a field of these shacks. Might be most effective on mortar teams

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Those Who Try To Raid Omelas

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I have the large storage area shelves set to store yayo so why are none of you fucks hauling it and why does haul urgently say it has no storage space :argh:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Kitfox88 posted:

I have the large storage area shelves set to store yayo so why are none of you fucks hauling it and why does haul urgently say it has no storage space :argh:

I'm pretty sure Haul Urgently won't haul to shelves for some reason, its zones only. Try putting a few tiles of low priority yayo only storage next to the shelves and see if it will get hauled there and then shelved after.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

How do you avoid problems with loading animals into transport pods? Every time I try to load animals into transport pods, the colonists keep just standing around stuck, so I'm guessing something that was to be loaded changed state and the game doesn't have a graceful way of resolving this

e: Also, how do you make it so pawns feed sensible things to animals like corn and hay, as opposed to carnivore lavish meals?

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 13, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LtSmash posted:

I'm pretty sure Haul Urgently won't haul to shelves for some reason, its zones only. Try putting a few tiles of low priority yayo only storage next to the shelves and see if it will get hauled there and then shelved after.

I don't think that my pawns have any trouble Hauling Urgently to shelves, maybe I'll check this tonight

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

LtSmash posted:

Oh well that's irritating :thunk:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'd like a full medieval magic overhaul modlist - with all the basic upgrades like replace stuff and all of that. Something easy I can just click and grab all at once if possible.

Does anyone have that for me? I never thought I'd say this, but I'm tired of robots.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Captain Monkey posted:

I'd like a full medieval magic overhaul modlist - with all the basic upgrades like replace stuff and all of that. Something easy I can just click and grab all at once if possible.

Does anyone have that for me? I never thought I'd say this, but I'm tired of robots.

if you're okay with reflavoured Vanilla Psycasts Expanded magic, rather than A Rimworld of Magic, you might be interested in Samuel Streamer's modpack https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2908695387

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that my pawns have any trouble Hauling Urgently to shelves, maybe I'll check this tonight

At least with Deep Storage pre vanilla shelves if you only had one open shelf to haul several stacks to the first pawn will claim the shelf with the hauling job and block the shelf as a valid destination and throw the "no valid stockpile" error until the first hauling job completed. Not 100% that is still the behaviour with the newly added shelves but I definitely ran into it a lot with prioritizing stone chunks with a single skip as storage. Redundant shelves or low priority stockpiles nearby as mentioned are the way to go if you want the whole colony to get a large amount of items stored ASAP.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
From what I see, that's the behavior with vanilla shelves and hauling, with the same effect on hauling urgently with the Allow Tool mod.

Thanks for that description also; I hadn't conceptualized it as "the hauling destination is claimed by a single pawn until that haul job is complete or canceled", and it might have taken me a while to articulate that behavior in such a concise way.

On the topic of hauling and storage, I really like the look of having the same item type stored in a localized area -- does anyone know of or use any mods like that? This can sort of be accomplished by having specific shelves/storage with higher priority for a certain item type, to do something like "this set of shelves is only for steel, once they're full steel can be put elsewhere also", but this means empty shelves which aren't usable for anything else if the stockpile of a certain type of resource starts to dwindle.

What I want could probably be implemented in multiple ways:
  • When placing an item, prioritize an open spot next to another item of the same type (so a stack of plasteel would preferentially be placed next to more plasteel)
  • Multiple tiers of item priority for one storage unit/zone, like "this spot is Important for raw vegetables and Preferred for raw meat" -- this might mean some extra shuffling of items between shelves after a big corn harvest or hunting expedition, but I'm okay with that

I've never written a RImworld mod and it's been almost twenty years(!) since I've written a line of C#, but the first storage idea seems like it might not be too bad to implement if no one is aware of anything like this. The second idea (multiple tiers of priority) seems like it'll need some additional user interface work which I'd be much less inclined to do.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Lysidas posted:

On the topic of hauling and storage, I really like the look of having the same item type stored in a localized area -- does anyone know of or use any mods like that? This can sort of be accomplished by having specific shelves/storage with higher priority for a certain item type, to do something like "this set of shelves is only for steel, once they're full steel can be put elsewhere also", but this means empty shelves which aren't usable for anything else if the stockpile of a certain type of resource starts to dwindle.

Stockpile Ranking probably does what you want.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Awesome, thanks so much! I searched the workshop a bit but didn't see anything that looked like what I wanted, since evidently I wasn't choosing my search terms very well.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tesla was right posted:

if you're okay with reflavoured Vanilla Psycasts Expanded magic, rather than A Rimworld of Magic, you might be interested in Samuel Streamer's modpack https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2908695387

I'd prefer a Rimworld of Magic type rework. But I'll take a look at this, thanks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rimworld of Magic goes too hard. If there was a RoM-lite I'd be way more into that. Instead of guns, the wizard shoots fireballs. He can also make a lil ice block that works as a (lovely) refrigerator. End of wizarding.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Lysidas posted:

Awesome, thanks so much! I searched the workshop a bit but didn't see anything that looked like what I wanted, since evidently I wasn't choosing my search terms very well.

You can also make use of the DSU from Vanilla Spacer Expanded. Its a "digital" storage that you can set to no pawn access, and use a convoluted mess of DSU dispensrs, conveyer belts and drones to have exactly what you need where you need it.

It is excessive, costly and inefficient. I do it every time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that medieval modpack is loving wild. everything is so different, there's a very steep learning curve.
i wish i knew what the UI changing mods were so i could tweak them. the settings are weird. e.g. colonist portraits are fuckhuge.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

*to the tune of the Hot Pockets jingle*

~ Corpse freezer~~

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

marumaru posted:

that medieval modpack is loving wild. everything is so different, there's a very steep learning curve.
i wish i knew what the UI changing mods were so i could tweak them. the settings are weird. e.g. colonist portraits are fuckhuge.

I don't know the pack but that's probably Colony Groups, it's in a lot of modpacks. You can configure all that in the mod settings so you should be able to get them looking more vanilla without disabling the mod.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

*to the tune of the Hot Pockets jingle*

~ Corpse freezer~~

You mean "cold wild boar farm"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Corpse freezers let you convert human corpses into animal meat and leather. It's flesh laundering

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Are there any mods to copy paste building designations? Blueprints randomly just doesn't work so I'm grumpy at it but I can't seem to find any other one that does so. :(

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Kitfox88 posted:

Are there any mods to copy paste building designations? Blueprints randomly just doesn't work so I'm grumpy at it but I can't seem to find any other one that does so. :(

pretty much blueprints as far as I'm aware; it does seem to have trouble when things are layered or are from mods, like Dubs pipes, or central heating air ducts.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Christ I have like seven pipes in some of these walls. Water, helixen, oil and gas, god help me when it comes to the nuclear plant

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Danaru posted:

Christ I have like seven pipes in some of these walls. Water, helixen, oil and gas, god help me when it comes to the nuclear plant

I saw a mod the other day that forks the food paste tubes to carry milk instead

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

Water, helixen, oil, gas, nutrient paste, aircon, electricity, glittertech network, High Voltage power, nuclear control cable, steam, cold water, coolant, chemfuel, and I don't know what else.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Anticheese posted:

I saw a mod the other day that forks the food paste tubes to carry milk instead

Please don't be a fetish thing :gonk:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

Someone should fork the mod to transport blood instead.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SugarAddict posted:

Someone should fork the mod to transport blood instead.

Honestly some sort of vampire fortress where you could have a whole network of blood pipes running through the walls to a central chamber to supercharge a haemophage sounds like it'd be metal AF. Although there's also probably no practical reason why you would design it that way

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly some sort of vampire fortress where you could have a whole network of blood pipes running through the walls to a central chamber to supercharge a haemophage sounds like it'd be metal AF. Although there's also probably no practical reason why you would design it that way

Not having to manually transport the blood around, also there are mods that give you blood extraction machines.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Danaru posted:

It honestly just seemed like some guy with a large dairy industry who wanted to cut down on logistics overhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The blood sprinklers at the vampire nightclub!

I'm down for a What We Do In The Shadows colony. Gizmo, get in the power suit and deal with these wooden spears they scare me they look too much like stakes.