Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Colin Mockery posted:

Solo is real hard but I've been having a good time as a cleric+fighter combo with my friend. I'm terrible at aiming but being able to heal him (and having an aoe anti-undead skill) after a combat has helped our survivability a lot and we're getting better at getting at least one of us extracted semi-regularly.

Game's fun, I wishlisted it, I'm glad they're extending the playtest.

Boy I'm right with you there, I can't aim spells to save my life.

The more I play Cleric the more it's becoming my 2nd favorite class. Barbarian is going to hold that honor for awhile. I get giddy every time I bash through a door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
The only thing I wish existed were more ways to alternate your swings and some kind of blocking or parry mechanic for all melee weapons. I say this as someone who pretty much just plays Barbarian.

It usually ends up being the first person to land a hit just wins but it also feels so bad to go at someone with a shield and having my already extremely slow attack stopped instantly and with a longer recovery. There's just no counter play there and it kind of sucks, if I could at least block their attacks there might be a back and forth, but instead the only course of action is for me to just keep swinging and hope they miss their blocks since for some reason barbarians are also one of the slower classes (without rage anyway).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

MuffinsAndPie posted:

They've really nailed the feeling of being a murder hobo in this

this may be the most murder hobo game ever made, tbh

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
anyone struggling should 1000% hop on the discord and try queuing as a trio, it's a completely different game from soloqueue. there's also just a ton of weird little game knowledge bits that you'll pick up way quicker that way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DarkAvenger211 posted:

The only thing I wish existed were more ways to alternate your swings and some kind of blocking or parry mechanic for all melee weapons. I say this as someone who pretty much just plays Barbarian.

It usually ends up being the first person to land a hit just wins but it also feels so bad to go at someone with a shield and having my already extremely slow attack stopped instantly and with a longer recovery. There's just no counter play there and it kind of sucks, if I could at least block their attacks there might be a back and forth, but instead the only course of action is for me to just keep swinging and hope they miss their blocks since for some reason barbarians are also one of the slower classes (without rage anyway).

I only play barb and you can pretty much two tap someone's head so the "counter play" is to pick your swings wisely. Depending on the perks you've taken you can usually turn it around even if they get the first hit on you - I bet most fights against fighters they get the first tap on me and I still come out on top way more often than I don't.

You could also try dual wielding which I think might be the superior playstyle due to not being as punishing for misses and blocks and I think being able to put out more DPS (since axe perk applies to both) but I'm still not used to it like I am with the felling axe so I haven't been able to use it to its full potential.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 12, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Please no goddamn chivalry mordhau or m&b style weapons blocking

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
btw if you want someone to not murder you, this emote is both more effective and much funnier than crouch spamming

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Groovelord Neato posted:

I only play barb and you can pretty much two tap someone's head so the "counter play" is to pick your swings wisely. Depending on the perks you've taken you can usually turn it around even if they get the first hit on you - I bet most fights against fighters they get the first tap on me and I still come out on top way more often than I don't.

You could also try dual wielding which I think might be the superior playstyle due to not being as punishing for misses and blocks and I think being able to put out more DPS (since axe perk applies to both) but I'm still not used to it like I am with the felling axe so I haven't been able to use it to its full potential.

The hatchet is deceptively strong. Even picking up a gray one can help. It has a really nice overhead that catches people off guard.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

IronicDongz posted:

btw if you want someone to not murder you, this emote is both more effective and much funnier than crouch spamming

do this look all the way up and crouch

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
better yet, swing mouse up and down rapidly with high sens

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Horseman axe is absolutely broken. My barb is hitting for over 100 on a headshot. Also if someone shields just jump and swing at their head.

Wizard is OK, it’s hard to play around your melee teammates if you are doing traditional wizard. Once you switch to dagger/ball wizard things really take off and it’s pretty broken.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Man, this is so close to being a game I'd absolutely love, and it sucks knowing that for whatever improvements they make it absolutely isn't going to move in that direction, because the goal is to make a Tarkov-like. drat.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

TBH the simplistic melee system is part of the appeal. With everything standarized 'skill' becomes more about positioning and level knowledge than some Tekken-esque in-depth parry and block system. It also makes weapon knowledge pretty important because you then know what the combos look like.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mendrian posted:

TBH the simplistic melee system is part of the appeal. With everything standarized 'skill' becomes more about positioning and level knowledge than some Tekken-esque in-depth parry and block system. It also makes weapon knowledge pretty important because you then know what the combos look like.

yeah!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

Horseman axe is absolutely broken. My barb is hitting for over 100 on a headshot. Also if someone shields just jump and swing at their head.

Yeah...it's pretty good.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I don't suppose there's been any talk of a map or a mode that's just co-op PVE? The game works for me as-is, but the rest of my crew struggles with BR/PVP stuff. They like the idea of raiding dungeons for loot, though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That is specifically one of the things I'm guessing they would never do, too many Tarkov-style enthusiasts would riot - especially if it was a way for beginners to get some basic low level gear, but even if it was entirely separate.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It'd also split the playerbase which would suck.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

It'd also split the playerbase which would suck.

Assuming you mean in terms of lobbies quickly filling up and stuff, splitting the player base in a way that lets less confidant players build up their skills is almost always a good thing. A split but larger player base has no negative effect on anyone. DRG manages a well supported "no other players" mode just fine and its a big part of why the game has as many players as it does. I know a lot of very good players that would have bounced off hard if they didn't have a mode that let them cut their teeth or just chillax sometimes.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 13, 2023

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

GlyphGryph posted:

Splitting the player base in a way that lets less confidant players build up their skills is almost always a good thing. A split but larger player base has no negative effect on anyone. DRG manages a well supported "no other players" mode just fine and its a big part of why the game has as many players as it does. I know a lot of players that would have bounced off hard if they didn't have a mode that let them cut their teeth or just chillax sometimes.

You'd run out of content real quick in Darker.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

After playing with my friend, I have to think that felling axes or barbs are going to get a nerf some kind of way. Or the other classes will get more perks or items to raise up their power levels.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

You'd run out of content real quick in Darker.

And then go to play the regular mode which would almost certainly have better loot, except when you fill like just chilling with friends and bashing some heads in in a lower stress environment.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

How many of you in game rich bougie people are making regular runs into the high roller version of the castle?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not because I'm literally almost exclusively doing goblin cave runs despite sitting on like 3k gold on 3 different characters

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I'm not because I'm literally almost exclusively doing goblin cave runs despite sitting on like 3k gold on 3 different characters

So far the most fun I've had is just going into goblin caves repeatedly and only using stuff I find. Play for a while, die (or disconnect and be unable to reconnect), try again

Also team goblin cave over here

Edit:

IronicDongz posted:

skeletal champ water pool room is hosed because there's a lot of obstacles and like, at least 4 other potential enemy spawns besides the champ

fighting 1 champ by himself is fine but actually full clearing that room requires really slow play and usually just isn't practical so I usually just sneak through it if need be

Snipe/pull the bees (you can skip this if you're feeling saucy), pull all the skeles, then kite/fight them around the floor spikes

Lemming fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 13, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jiro posted:

How many of you in game rich bougie people are making regular runs into the high roller version of the castle?

I just went to hell for the first time, voted 5 would go again

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lemming posted:

Snipe/pull the bees (you can skip this if you're feeling saucy), pull all the skeles, then kite/fight them around the floor spikes
that's kinda what I mean by "requires really slow play", often it's hard to justify how long it takes. I do like killing the champ behind the hidden door though since they often drop blues.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Mendrian posted:

The issue then is the reverse becomes true - Gear carries overall. Gamers love grinding poo poo now, after a decade and a half of being conditioned for it, and when there's no opportunity for skill differentiation (beyond positioning & level knowledge, which more set up how the fight starts, not how it goes down) then gear differentiation is going to trump everything. We've ran into people where we got equivalent volumes of hits in, but we're all dead and they're still 80% life.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zero to hero in this is very fun— buying at most a white weapon, then diving in. Use that you find, sell what you don’t use, repeat. Matches are so fast even if you die you don’t feel like you lost a ton.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lister posted:

After playing with my friend, I have to think that felling axes or barbs are going to get a nerf some kind of way. Or the other classes will get more perks or items to raise up their power levels.

I'm fine with them nerfing felling axe (though only slightly) even though it feels really good to chop with because I think dual wield is the actual strongest build but hasn't filtered out to the community yet.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Crewed with a couple last night. We started going down to Hell with the rule that if we found a red portal without having engaged in PvP / super full inventories, we would go. We went down 3 times and managed to escape 3 times.

Bringing extra camp fires is super helpful. You sit in the room until the end of the match, so there's extra time then to camp and restore spells, etc.

We managed to find a skull key. Anyone familiar with this one? Everything on the internet was from last playtest, so not sure if it's still relevant.

We also got severely dunked on by a wizard, and that was refreshing.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Shockeh posted:

The issue then is the reverse becomes true - Gear carries overall. Gamers love grinding poo poo now, after a decade and a half of being conditioned for it, and when there's no opportunity for skill differentiation (beyond positioning & level knowledge, which more set up how the fight starts, not how it goes down) then gear differentiation is going to trump everything. We've ran into people where we got equivalent volumes of hits in, but we're all dead and they're still 80% life.

I mean I don't want to doubt your experiences, but gear shouldn't make you like 100% stronger than somebody else. You can kill people pretty geared up if you get the drop on them. I would not say gear 'trumps all'; engagement tactics and play experience are far more important than gear. If you take a kinda new player and deck them out in blue gear and tell them to take on someone who's been playing far longer, the more experienced person is probably going to win even with the gear difference. If your opponents are leaving combat with you and you did shot for shot on every one of them, they shouldn't have 80% of their health. They either healed or prevented a portion of that damage through spells or skills.

Gear makes a difference, don't get me wrong, but I think people see an opponent decked out in better gear and just assume they're going to roll the server and in my experience it's just not a huge difference.

EDIT: Upon rethinking, I suppose it is possible for someone to have the correct gear that would make a big difference in combat, but I've never seen anyone able to hold onto gear long enough to put together a cohesive 'set' of gear built around a singular purpose (casting speed, or true damage, for instance) but if they did hypothetically exist that could make a significant difference.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There is a point if someone is geared enough or in the right way the odds of you coming out on top are close to nil. I posted about going against another barb who took off like 70 percent of my hp in one body shot so the fight was pretty much over at that point - he was blue/purped up with plus physical and amp damage gear and effortlessly cut through my team. That was the only time that's happened though I'd say we usually come out on top more often than not against people in blues/greens and the occasional purple when we're greyed/whited up.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I think I've read about some people getting v. high %physical damage reduction (>80%? >90%). That will feel like shot for shot they're coming out far ahead, but that's probably a tell that you should use different tactics, like magic damage or oil lanterns or molotovs or not engaging.

I don't know that the counterplay is quite where it needs to be, as in the above scenario, if you don't have a wizard, and you don't have lanterns or molotovs, your only choice is to disengage (which is a viable choice).

E: for embiggened damage barbarian, that would suggest kiting is the right move, but if you don't have ranged DPS, bind/cleric snare, frostbolt, etc, your options are limited. I think adding more tactical responses that are independent of class build (oil bottles, lightning in a bottle, etc) (or dependent!) would be neat.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I saw a wizard coming my way who didn't see me. I put a trap down right next to a wall spike and turned out the lights. A minute later I saw the message of them dying to a wall spike in the kill feed.

I knew full well that I wouldn't even be able to loot them with how the zone was closing.

I still feel kind of bad about it a couple of days later.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Nah fuckem that owns

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Looks like they did a hotfix earlier (nothing major, mostly just fixes and a nerf to haste) and they extended the playtest to at least the 16th. So 3 more days to play.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

curious what people make of interaction speed as a mechanic. I (mostly playing ranger/cleric) have found it lightly annoying but mostly balanced, my friend (who only plays wizard) complains it makes soloing as wizard basically impossible

also what does magic interaction speed even do?

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

FungiCap posted:

I saw a wizard coming my way who didn't see me. I put a trap down right next to a wall spike and turned out the lights. A minute later I saw the message of them dying to a wall spike in the kill feed.

I knew full well that I wouldn't even be able to loot them with how the zone was closing.

I still feel kind of bad about it a couple of days later.

Yeah this is amazing. Peak play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
the gear that is particularly op is the unique tier stuff. Affixes at that point are potentially pretty (and tbf given the difficulty of getting it, it's probably not unreasonable currently). before that point, durability does not scale nearly as fast as damage at higher gear levels.

also worth noting that, from what I hear, balance minutiae is very much not what they're prioritizing at this stage of the playtests, so expect more nuanced balancing of the top end later.