Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
!!!WARNING!!!
WHILE THIS GAME IS CURRENTLY PURCHASABLE AND PLAYABLE, IRONMACE IS STILL INVOLVED IN A LAWSUIT THAT MAY AFFECT YOUR ABILITY TO PLAY IN THE FUTURE. PURCHASE AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
!!!WARNING!!!

Dark and Darker is a first-person dungeon delving PvEvP game that instead of using guns and other firearms, uses swords and spells. If Escape from Tarkov and Skyrim had a baby, and if Chivalry and Hunt: Showdown had a baby, and those two babies met and hosed, Dark and Darker would be that baby. Pick one of your typical fantasy RPG classes and enter a dungeon, with the goal of gathering as much treasure as you can while fighting off goblins, skeletons, zombies, spiders and even liches, but most importantly, other adventuers. Barbarian, Rogue, Wizard, Fighter, Cleric and Ranger are currently available (but many more are being added), each with their own skill set and combat style. As an example, if you haven't guessed it, Clerics heal. They can even revive if you choose to enter a dungeon as a party. Rangers can set traps and track other players footsteps, Rogues can pick locked chests and doors, and Wizards do what Wizards do: cast fireballs. Escape the dungeon before you die with all the treasure you've gathered, purchase better equipment, level up your character and gather enough courage to go again.

Right now, the game is currently in beta with a release scheduled for late 2023. Created by a new studio based out of Korea, Ironmace Games is made of a small group of experienced game developers who decided they wanted to make the games they wanted to make, rather than just what they were being paid to make. During the first beta, the game had about 1,000 players. They loved it and the excitement for the next one gathered so much interest, the next beta had over 15,000 con-current players. Excitement continued to grow and by the third beta, over 30,000 players were playing at any given time. Even some of the biggest streamers in the world were beginning to gather interest and play, which only continued to increase excitement.

Right now, the game is currently in beta with a release scheduled for late 2023. Created by a new studio based out of Korea, Ironmace Games is made of a small group of experienced game developers who decided they wanted to make the games they wanted to make, rather than just what they were being paid to make. During the first beta, the game had about 1,000 players. They loved it and the excitement for the next one gathered so much interest, the next beta had over 15,000 con-current players. Excitement continued to grow and by the third beta, over 30,000 players were playing at any given time. Even some of the biggest streamers in the world were beginning to gather interest and play, which only continued to increase excitement.

Today, February 6th, 2023 the 4th beta has begun and there are over 90,000 con-current players, with almost 250k people viewing on Twitch. The game is incredibly popular and only recently entered beta.

Attribute Breakdown

To be added.

Combat Tips & Tricks

To be added.

Future Release Content Teased by Develops

To be added.

Official Links and Stuff:

https://www.ironmace.com/
https://discord.gg/darkanddarker (the Dark and Darker official Discord and the best resource for information about the game)
https://discord.gg/n3FrweAM The Dark and Darker Goon Discord

Where to Find and How to Play: https://www.darkanddarker.com or https://www.chafgames.com/games/dark-and-darker both sites will provide access to a singular client, so purchase wherever you feel most comfortable.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Reserving 2nd post for beta information, guild information and Discord information.

The original post will continue to be updated and added too, I just wanted to get the thread going so people can start talking about the game and getting together to play it.

Discord server hosted by PartialOctopus: https://discord.gg/jq8X52ZQ

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 7, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Playtest #4 patch notes:

Alpha Playtest #4 Changelog
# New Features and Updates
- New Gathering Hall System - Hang out at the Gathering Hall and build the perfect dungeon party.
- New Karma System - Rate your fellow allies after your adventure. Beware! Scoundrels and deviants are unable to participate.
- New VoIP - In-game voice chat to interact with other adventurers.
- New experimental Goblin Caves for a solo adventurer experience!
- New Trading Channel QoL features.
- New Report system to help us round up and punish the wicked.
- New Cosmetics
- New Weapons - Short Sword and Quarterstaff,
- Some Unique Weapons have been greatly improved.
- Attack animation improved for the War Maul, Double Axe & Battle Axe.
- Weapon attack animations now do more varying amounts of damage.
- New Armors for the 'head' slot.
- New 'Sanctuary' spell for the Cleric.
- New Ore and Craft Items.
- New 'Valentine' NPC.
- The secretive 'Goblin Merchant' now sells mysterious wares.
- An improved party invite system.
- Added bundled items to the merchants.
- Added Flavor texts for more immersive game mood.
- Added a new Tokyo Region + preliminary Japanese localization - first draft.

# Balancing
- Moved the starting spawns from the edge of the map to the interior and added more variations to test.
- 2-handed weapon attack movement penalty has been reduced.
- Added +1 base stat point to 'agility' to the Cleric to normalize the class with all other classes.
- Rebalanced the Wizard's starting stats.
- Added a projectile damage falloff system where damage slightly decreases based on distance. Currently the effect is very small.
- Plate armor improved to give more bonuses,
- Lightfoot Boots, Regal Gambeson and Templar Armor are a little slower.
- Rapier damage slightly buffed.
- An installed Pavise can now be knocked down by an attack.
- Buffs for many of the less frequently used Perks and Skills.
- Wizard's 'Light' spell now removes the 'Hide' status. Does not remove the 'invisibility' status.
- Increased the duration of an installed campfire but the recovery effects per tick has been reduced. You will need to sit at a campfire for a longer period compared to the last playtest for the same recovery effects.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really excited for this game to finally release on Steam. I noticed there is a "demo" finally, but development is still very early?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yes, still very early in development but the demo is this recent beta test. You can download and start playing now and apparently it will be available for about a week. They are taking part in this weeks Steam festival, whatever it is, and released theirs early to test it before the fest begins.

So yea, you can play now. Beta test #4 is open.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Last test was a ton of fun, can't wait to try this tonight with VoIP added

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea this is a big one since they added the 1st floor this time, which is the floor intended for solo players. It's currently got 180k viewers, which has honestly gone down a bit from the 250k it had earlier. Some big streamers are still playing it too, like Lirik and Sodapoppin.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Sweet, a solo mode.

Time to make a barbarian and not get anything due to rogues/rangers/wizards.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
The solo mode seems so hard, every room has so many mobs in it compared to the main dungeon which has long hallways with 1-2 mobs. It seems like the subreddit is complaining about it too.

Learning the mob animations is big for dodging attacks, but even then, the rooms are so densely packed that it is tedious to find other players.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
this game owns

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The good thing is, even if right now the solo mode isn't working great, the devs are really, really fast at fixing stuff. They have a really solid dev team and are known for fixing things mid playtest.

Until then, hit & run tactics are still the most solid way of soloing. Strafing works great too. If you haven't tried Wizard solo, it's really good. Rogue can be, when you get the poisons. They are so fast they can attack a few times, stack bleeds and get out of the monsters range. Not big into fighters or barbarians myself, so maybe those are harder.

And if the gold increase is still where it was last playtest, affording bandages and potions should be easier than the #1 and #2 tests. Getting bandges and stuff starting out was so expensive. When you can afford it, don't be afraid to go into a dungeon with like 50g in just healing stuff. And don't forget Rangers start with campfires, that also heal. If you can get out with them intact, you can use them on any character. It might just take longer due to those characters skills.

I'll put a breakdown of what attributes do in the OP sometime soon.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Solo rogue against other groups still works, they made some of the really awful rooms in the Castle? map easier to navigate. Easier to get the lion/golden chests too

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea they definitely did make it harder. Rogues especially have a rough starting out but it gets way better. And I play Rogue/Cleric basically. But i'm just getting onto play and all the changes are good.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
tried the 'solo' map but kept getting destroyed by hordes of health sponge goblins in narrow corridors with poison attacks that are guaranteed to take off at least half my health if they hit me once.
tried the 'main' map but kept getting destroyed by 3-man teams camping the exit portal spawns (if I managed to survive the hordes of other health sponge mobs)
basically this looks like another dont bother with this for now unless you have a regular team you can play with, definitely seems like its balanced for 3-man play

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What class did you try? Some are way easier solo until you get the hang of things. Try Cleric. Go with the perks that reduce all damage by 3 to start, that's a good one and will help. Then go with Judgment, which is like a short range magic nuke that also slows. Then for spells pick lesser heal/cleanse/bind/protection/divine strike. That'll make you tanky, let you cleanse poisons from the goblins and whatever else, give you like 75 points of healing and give you plenty of buffs to help with fighting the mobs until you get use to how combat works.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I really like the part of this game where you fight other people, but I hate fighting monsters. It takes so drat long to kill anything!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Do we have a goon discord for this? I need some people to party up with.

I made a server. https://discord.gg/jq8X52ZQ
Please join and be cool.

I've been playing the game a ton. It's super fun once you know what you are doing. I'd love to find some other people to do high-roller runs with.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 7, 2023

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

The free weapons that you spawn with are very low damage. just buying like a white rarity longbow for a ranger will let you kill anything in 1-2 headshots as opposed to 6+, anything besides the starting staff for wizard will cast spells seemingly twice as fast, etc.

I didn't try the solo dungeon yet, but the team dungeon starts on the second floor during these tests so presumably the first floor would be a bit easier. Either way once you get a few successful runs done you can have some backup armor to bring in and start chaining together successful clears.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The solo dungeon is also significantly harder than the normal mode. If you want to solo queue, I would suggest sticking with the normal map. Just play cautiously and avoid other players.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Partial Octopus posted:

The solo dungeon is also significantly harder than the normal mode. If you want to solo queue, I would suggest sticking with the normal map. Just play cautiously and avoid other players.

I might have to give it another go on the normal map of that’s the case. I figured the solo dungeon would be the one to go for while… soloing, but died to the second pack of goblins I found every time after looting some shoes usually off the first.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The current solo queue mode is experimental. They originally did not want to have a solo queue at all. The new patch that came out today did however significantly nerf the enemies in the Goblin Cave/solo queue.

That being said, I would highly suggest playing in a group. It makes it much easier to survive and much faster to clear rooms. Soloing in this game is mostly just running around looting rooms and trying not to be noticed by other players. It's definitely a lot more fun to play with a full team and be very aggressive and focus more on pvp.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I knew they'd adjust that dungeon during the playtest, but that was faster then even I expected. Ironmace is a studio that's really on the ball and thankfully for them, it's working out with all the hype the game has.

I added PartialOctopus Discord info to the 2nd post and I'd also recommend playing with others sometime. I really only like solo queuing when I need to farm up some treasure, but it's also kind of fun going 1v3 with a Rogue/Wizard and outplaying a group of 2-3.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
Is there any way to actually extract as a team? Is it just to hope you find 3 portals together and can activate/exit them at the same time?

My friends and I loaded up on full inventories, fought off multiple parties, and got to the final circle only to find two exits and I was the odd man out. Seems kind of lovely to do everything right and still lose like that.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
A 3 person portal spawns for the final team, or at least within the last couple minutes, but portals spawn along the way you should consider taking if someone is full up on loot. Oftentimes, when I play with a group, we'll load up someone with the best treasure and have them get out. Then that person can buy us gear to bring into the next run. You can also go down a portal and fight your way through that area, which often is empty, so whatever portals spawn are yours and yours alone.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm gonna have to disagree with people here and say I think the solo dungeon is way easier, at least when you're not running with a premade group.

Yeah, there's more enemies, but enemies are like 1% as dangerous as players, who you don't encounter as much in goblin caves and when you do they usually don't want to fight.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

what's supposed to be the point of dual wielding, outside of the crystal ball? i can see a case for it giving you two different movesets, but none of the rogue weapons seem different enough to justify the movespeed cost.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Valentin posted:

what's supposed to be the point of dual wielding, outside of the crystal ball? i can see a case for it giving you two different movesets, but none of the rogue weapons seem different enough to justify the movespeed cost.

Just higher DPS, I believe.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Finally had a successful run, killed a player, got like 50 gold and some gear and had to trudge through the death cloud to get to the portal from where I was. I'm glad that stuff doesn't just dissolve you instantly.

Now I'm ready to load up on plate armor and lose it all in the next run. :getin:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Game is good :getin:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

now this is some good goblin cave loot

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well I killed the troll king, and my reward was 2 purples, a blue, one piece of jewelry, a locked chest and 2 potions. It's funny but doesn't seem worth it vs just how absurdly long it takes to kill.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I've played probably a dozen or so games, 3 or 4 which were duo/trios and I have yet to escape a game with loot.

Yet, I still had fun and I'm compelled to keep trying. I guess it's best to just keep beating on monsters until you unlock all four perk slots and not worry about it?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Experimenting with rogue after cleric has only proven that I am utterly helpless without Heal and Protection as a crutch to fall back on. What’s a useful quick n’ dirty starting setup?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh man, this game is so difficult! But it's a lot of fun too due to the atmosphere and how quickly and easily it is to get into new matches. Can't wait for the final release and for all of the features to be implemented.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Getting some levels and one or two perks will really help, also getting a diff weapon than whatever you start with is huge for damage. Like switching to even a white sword or whatever will double your damage from the starting weapon.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Experimenting with rogue after cleric has only proven that I am utterly helpless without Heal and Protection as a crutch to fall back on. What’s a useful quick n’ dirty starting setup?

For Rogues? All the DoT stuff to start. You just poke an enemy a few times (monster or player) and then back out, letting your DoT work. With rogues, you are so fast, you can evade a lot of attacks just by backing up and strafing. And get a rapier as soon as you can. That weapon slaps and is a game changer for rogue. The range on it is longer, so you can strafe and stay out of attack range even more.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
game is really promising

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Getting some levels and one or two perks will really help, also getting a diff weapon than whatever you start with is huge for damage. Like switching to even a white sword or whatever will double your damage from the starting weapon.

If you die, you will always go back into matches with default gear right? I picked up a blue quality sword in one match but lost it after dying.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
first 5-10 games were really brutal, but it came together pretty quickly tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

If you die, you will always go back into matches with default gear right? I picked up a blue quality sword in one match but lost it after dying.

yup, so its also helpful to collect as many trinkets as possible to escape with, sell those for gold, and stock up on white/green gear from the vendors once you start surviving more so you can go in with some strength