Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The first terror site is in our hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ohio is the heart of america

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i just wanna gently caress one of the snake women

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ohio being the death thunder dome was not on my crackping bingo, but it might be a free space now

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Real hurthling! posted:

ohio is the heart of america

why does everybody have such mean things to say about ohio?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

launch blaster bombs until the tactical situation is advantageous

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/louischeung_hk/status/1624651686898987010

gun dog development proceeding apace

https://twitter.com/AnnQuann/status/1623918834993487876

budget spg

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the US will lose x-com: ufo defense

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This is more or less what archer and caesar are.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

both of these are amazing tanks

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
US fighter jets shoot down ‘octagonal object’ near Canada border

A fourth shoot down of something.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's p funny that for the price of one brave balloon china has inadvertently managed to make the us spend millions on blowing its own poo poo up

and that's a big reason for why the us will lose ww3

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

it's p funny that for the price of one brave balloon china has inadvertently managed to make the us spend millions on blowing its own poo poo up

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
the cost ratio of one missile alone over one balloon is at least like 500:1 lol

Probably gonna be a million to one overall by the end of the grifts

Palladium has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Feb 13, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I can't wait for rhe special anti‐ballon missiles.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I mean couldn't there be a specialty 20mm round that just explodes into poo poo that would puncture and tangle? I feel like a contact fused silly string would do something to the baloon. we're not doing xcom poo poo I think

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Grognan posted:

I mean couldn't there be a specialty 20mm round that just explodes into poo poo that would puncture and tangle? I feel like a contact fused silly string would do something to the baloon. we're not doing xcom poo poo I think

A2A grapeshot to destroy the enemy airship's sails

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
that's just a normal A2A missile

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Grognan posted:

No no no, you NEED this specific million a pop missile that specifically locks onto spy ballons with Lockheeds special and proprietary Ballon tracking technology

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KomradeX posted:

No no no, you NEED this specific million a pop missile that specifically locks onto spy ballons with Lockheeds special and proprietary Ballon tracking technology

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Grognan posted:

Of course sir, anything you like, that'll be six trillion dollars please

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Very amused that US decided that this is going to be their collective psychosis this time.

This will be less amusing when it escalates to something less silly than them popping balloons.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/starsandstripes/status/1625049639811444738?s=20

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

joe brandon delivering what could possibly be the only kills the f-22 will ever get. he is a true patriot

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Grognan posted:

Yes, there are “Balloon” 23mm fuzes, and the same principle would apply to 20mm as well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fabergay egg posted:

joe brandon delivering what could possibly be the only kills the f-22 will ever get. he is a true patriot

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

here's some interesting poo poo about blimps
Pilot Manual for a 1940's U.S. Navy Blimp

www.beautifulpublicdata.com posted:

This 122 page manual contains all of the operating instructions and technical details to pilot this sleek, silver 250 foot long weaponized anti-submarine dirigible.

Excerpts from "UNITED STATES NAVY K-TYPE AIRSHIPS: PILOT MANUAL"

The national discussion surrounding surveillance balloons offers up the perfect opportunity to share one of the more unusual public records I found while poking around deep in the Federal Aviation Administration’s website a while back (yes, this is a thing I do).

Listed on an FAA page titled “Aviation Handbooks & Manuals”, which includes links to a wide variety of recent pilot handbooks for weather, instrumentation, safety as well as guides for operating helicopters, gliders, hot air balloons and gyroplanes, there is one document that is significantly older than the others, and it kind of jumped out at me. The title is listed as “Airship Pilot Manual” with a publication date of 1942.

The actual title of the document is “UNITED STATES NAVY K-TYPE AIRSHIPS: PILOT MANUAL”. This 122 page manual contains all of the operating instructions and technical details one would need to pilot this 250 foot long, 79 foot high, silver, weaponized anti-submarine dirigible. This manual is incredibly detailed and surprisingly readable.

This blimp (they seem to prefer “airship”) had the ability to lift just over 26,000 pounds and was powered by two 425 horsepower Pratt & Whitney Wasp engines, which could spin the three bladed, 12 foot long propellers at 1,775 rpm[1]. Depending on the model of this K class airship, the vehicle could cruise along at an average of between 40-67.5 knots (40-77 mph). One of the things that made these blimps essential for anti-submarine warfare, is that at normal cruising speed they could go on 26 hour long missions. 134 of this class of airship were built for the Navy by the Goodyear Aircraft Corporation.

1. K-9 and later models ↩︎

The volume of the blimp envelope was 425,000 cubic feet[1], and was filled with helium.

1. K-14 and later models ↩︎

This was no leisure craft. It carried a turret-mounted 50 caliber Browning machine gun and had racks that could carry up four torpex-filled MK-47 depth bombs (350 lbs. each). These airships were deployed by the Navy to help search for and destroy enemy submarines. The airship included a ASG-type radar system capable of detecting objects at 90 miles and sonobuoys used to probe for submerged submarines.

Footage of a K-Class airship dropping depth charges on suspected submarines at sea on December 14, 1943.

On July 31, 1943, The New York Times reported that airship K-74 was shot down over the Atlantic, after a U-boat it had been hunting with depth charges surfaced, and shot it down. All but one member of the crew survived the splashdown in the ocean.

The 40-foot long cabin, which sat nestled below the envelope could carry a crew of ten, and as weight was a key constraint, the manual listed the exact weight of each piece of equipment aboard, including the 85 lbs of canned and fresh food, 35 lbs of water and 16 lbs of rescue rations. A table of the electrical load analysis lists a “GE Grill - Stove - Oven” and a Manning Bowman #494 coffee percolator and an Everhot “roasterette”. Reading such hilariously specific data like this, I reassure myself that were I to ever acquire a time machine, and find myself piloting this blimp while hunting U-boats over the Atlantic in World War II, I’d know the exact amperage being drawn from the coffee maker (3 amps) if I needed to reduce power consumption in a pinch.

The manual contains some beautifully executed cutaway diagrams with every single feature carefully annotated. When looking through this manual with its exquisitely drafted schematics, I thought about a used book I found a few years ago, “Illustrator Draftsman 3 & 2” published by the U.S. Navy Training Command in 1972, which was an instruction manual for the kinds of artists and draftsmen in the Navy who probably worked on this blimp manual. This draftsman manual deserves a post of its own in the future.

The National Archives has some incredible footage of these K-Class airships in action. One clip is from December 14, 1943 and shows a crew aboard one of these blimps actually dropping depth charges on suspected submarines. There is also some incredible color footage from 1944 showing one of these silver beasts taking off and landing on an aircraft carrier.

Seeing the crew members flying this behemoth really helped make these blimps come to life for me in a way I had not expected.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3bCOiF4kcqc
Some amazing color footage from February 1944 showing a K-Class airship taking off and landing on an aircraft carrier.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 19:39 on Feb 13, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Spending money is the raison d'etre of the US military. It's a money laundering and embezzlement front.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/daikibokougeki/status/1592080350548996099

age of drones is upon us

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Maj. Gen. Advertising Director lmao

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

here's some interesting poo poo about blimps
Pilot Manual for a 1940's U.S. Navy Blimp

these 40’s manuals are the best.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

420 Gank Mid posted:

Maj. Gen. Advertising Director lmao

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

But what about the E-Girl division recruitment drive!?!?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I assume this is the balloon thread now

https://twitter.com/LtTimMcMillan/status/1625517286898429956

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/MandelaFace/status/1624853136690249729

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

xenonauts had way better air combat mechanics

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Apparently they're gonna make the t-14 armata with a 152mm gun now, so that means the Abrams 2 will have an advanced railgun and weigh 200 tons. It will only be able to drive on concrete and it will cost 500 million dollars