Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I remember scoffing at gmail because it seemed comical to me that anyone would need an entire gigabyte for email of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At this point I kind of wish I had less storage, because then I'd have deleted decades worth of pointless mailers from game key sites and the like and might actually be able to find poo poo. The search vs storage cost question goes out the window when even a correctly formulated search returns dozens of coincidentally relevant results.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Entropic posted:

I remember scoffing at gmail because it seemed comical to me that anyone would need an entire gigabyte for email of all things.

We're offering 5 gig home internet now and the overwhelming opinion of this is, it's complete overkill, but we're all afraid to say that we'll never need it because we've all been burnt before.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why isn't my 12 year old laptop on Wi-Fi getting the speeds I'm paying for?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

Something I've noticed having moved to the UK where speeds are lower than in Dublin is that. But also my new devices aren't getting the speeds. Except it's not actually the speed that's the problem, it's that they're whacking 60mb connections down lines that probably can't really handle more than 10 and the retransmission rate is sky high, so it just looks like that page is taking forever to load, but what's actually happened is the exchange dropped your GET and it's actually never loading.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Renegret posted:

We're offering 5 gig home internet now and the overwhelming opinion of this is, it's complete overkill, but we're all afraid to say that we'll never need it because we've all been burnt before.

AT&T is offering "Hyper-Gig" or whatever in my area, but I've got 1GB already, and don't really need that. I only got it over 500MB because the 1GB comes with unlimited data. Below that has a data cap, and the cost for getting unlimited on 500GB makes it the same price as 1GB, so...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Renegret posted:

My telco is offering 10/2 gigs and nobody is biting from the various tech groups with internal insights on user enrolls. The standard 1000/300 is more than adequate for the bulk of the consumers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

By the time you're having to spend a decent chunk of money on your internal network, faster internet speeds start to look less appealing. Up to 1gb is easy, past that can become a pain in the arse.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

By the time you're having to spend a decent chunk of money on your internal network, faster internet speeds start to look less appealing. Up to 1gb is easy, past that can become a pain in the arse.

A shite web managed zyxel switch with twenty four gig ports and four ten gig uplinks is 250€ if you can wait for discounts/amazon warehouse. If you go unmanaged we are talking half of that. It's not esoteric/expensive as it used to be.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am going to need to implement wired 802.1x. I am aware that this is a significant undertaking. I'm currently browsing training videos, but anybody able to offer a broad overview or any specific gotchas to watch out for?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It's been years since I've had to work on this, so take this with a grain of salt.

The biggest pain you'll face is all of the various forms of supplicant applications you'll need for devices. You'll get 90% of the way there easily for Windows hosts for example but that last 10% will have some sort of pain in the rear end error that slows you down and causes Helpdesk to hate you.

God forbid management wants it everywhere and you have to start figuring out how to get big office printers to work with it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We will be in that exact situation, yes. Management understands this is going to take some time and isn't going to happen everywhere all at once. I think the answer for those printers is going to be MAB, based on the video I'm watching.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think stuff like ClearPass makes this a ton easier

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

guppy posted:

I am going to need to implement wired 802.1x. I am aware that this is a significant undertaking. I'm currently browsing training videos, but anybody able to offer a broad overview or any specific gotchas to watch out for?

Map your network, have a plan for security zones / segmentation (and follow it), don't be afraid to use MAB for poo poo like printers, also consider putting them in their own zone that has restricted access.

What are you doing for wireless clients?

We (corp with 3000+ employees) migrated from an old Cisco / fortinet network to an all-Extreme network over the last two years and it went relatively painless. I think the goal was 80% port automation, but they hit well over 90%, and it has mostly been label/card printers that have caused problems.

We're doing the OT network next, also moving to Extreme Fabric with NAC and 802.1x on all ports, along with microsegmentation... and I suspect it'll be fine, even with a few thousand devices across the entire city :v:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We already have ISE in production, but our implementation wasn't designed/scaled for this use case. We currently do wireless auth via RADIUS using NPS on Windows Server. Guest wireless is currently shunted off into its own little corner of shame VLAN with severely proscribed access. We are very large, so this is going to be a pretty significant project for us. I'm still gathering requirements because I'm not sure that the people asking for this fully understand what they're asking for. I'm broadly supportive of the idea, but it very much needs to have its scope defined.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 14, 2023

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How do you image / reimage devices? I don’t think you can enforce 802.1x on PXE, so keep that in mind when planning.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Need a fallback vlan for that.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Good to know, thanks. I am far removed from the group that handles imaging, but for sure they will not appreciate it if I render them unable to do day-to-day business. For that matter, I'm not sure if they even image things anymore, hasn't that all gone by the wayside in favor of Autopilot or whatever it's called?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

guppy posted:

Good to know, thanks. I am far removed from the group that handles imaging, but for sure they will not appreciate it if I render them unable to do day-to-day business. For that matter, I'm not sure if they even image things anymore, hasn't that all gone by the wayside in favor of Autopilot or whatever it's called?

Even if it's all autopilot, you'd still need a way for a refreshed or new laptop to get some sort of internet connection to do the initial authentication and provisioning.

There are plenty of solutions, and now is the time to find out what is needed and plan for it. :)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

We got a sharp one here folks:

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

We got a sharp one here folks:

lol, well at least they asked instead of brushing it off and then getting upset later claiming they were never notified.

Someone in our group chat asked if a print queue would need to be re-created if the printer was factory default reset and setup again. Question was already answered, but my idiot brain got this idea, so I decided to share it here too since it didn't get much of a reaction at work for some reason.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Goddammit, recruiters. I wasn't in the mood for jokes today.

So let's play "Guess the salary!"

Recruiter posted:

Requirements:

10+ years of Linux administration and engineering experience including a deep understanding of the Linux networking stack at the kernel level.
3+ years Python development experience or an equal level of proficiency in another language.
For candidates that have experience with languages other than Python, client will ask the candidate to:
Skilled Linux administrator with extensive experience managing and supporting the Linux operating system.
IT experience in large - scale enterprise support.
Proficient in all aspects of Server computing Infrastructure Management and also worked on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Sun Solaris.
Provide code/script/recipe examples pertinent to infrastructure support.
OpenStack's code-base is written in Python so becoming comfortable with Python is required.
Knowledge of Ansible is preferred.
Extensive knowledge of modern virtualization technologies (5+ years- KVM knowledge is a must).
Experience deploying a host virtualization platform.
Specific experience with a cloud platform not required (5+ Years)
Having led, or participated in, the implementation of at least one configuration management system (Chef, Puppet, Salt Stack, etc.)
Extensive experience with fully implemented automation workflows.
Hands-on networking experience and a strong foundational knowledge of networking models including VLAN's, WAN, routing, bridging, etc.
Vblock experience- Design, build & Manage VBLOCK solutions.
VBlock Support Engineers typically span VMware products and related infrastructure including: Esxi, vSphere, SRM, storage systems.
Proficient in upgrading vBlock system components using Release Certification Matrix (RCM) which define software, firmware, and hardware that VCE tests and validates as supported for a VBlock System.
Experience to troubleshoot all vBlock related issues (performance and incident management).
Prior experience working in a start-up operation is strongly desired but not required.
The client needs people who know how to work independently and make things happen.
Good communication skills (written and verbal).
Strong application, operating system, kernel, and hardware debugging skills.
Windows experience is a plus.
The ability to demonstrate a high degree of passion for the craft is a requirement.
Client's on-staff experts love what they do, are continuous learners, anxious to take on new challenges, and mindful of best practices to ensure optimal service.
A Bachelor's degree in CS is nice to have but focus will be on what the candidate knows right now, what the candidate has accomplished, where the candidate shines, and how the candidate's current and future goals mesh with client's.

$125k in Princeton, NJ

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's significantly than I was expecting, having seen a lot of UK job postings for similar roles of late.

Yup :negative:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Arquinsiel posted:

That's significantly than I was expecting

Significantly what?? I still can't tell if that's a good or bad salary

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
That is amazingly bad salary for New Jersey, for someone who knows openstack, for someone who has python experience with that config management stuff, or someone with ten years exp and a CS

That’s a 200k salary + 25-50k other comp person at my company

Edit: 125k isn’t far off what we pay people who we recruit directly from college and train for six months before they even bill. That salary with that req is insulting

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 16, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

A Frosty Witch posted:

Significantly what?? I still can't tell if that's a good or bad salary
I meant to say "more" but my brain broke.

Like you'd see that advertised at £25-35K around here. poo poo's stupid.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

UK wages are in the bin, I’ll see if I can find the stats from the other day

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah I was expecting it to be, like, $60k.

The posting alone is unhinged enough, $125k shows they're at least trying.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It's interesting that they want decade level in depth experience with Linux and similar systems, but also want windows experience.

And networking

And programming

The salary is even more absurd when you consider it's a role for at least 3 people

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, they're dreaming with those requirements, and I told him as much in my response.

Even in Detroit, $125k for that spot is lol.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"the old guy was doing it all for that price until he quit, surely we can find someone else to do the same"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
"Prior experience working in a start-up operation"

So it's probably a start up that's trying to have a single person as a one stop shop for...every single computer need in existence. Including developing all of the 6 different idea guy's apps.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Renegret posted:

"Prior experience working in a start-up operation"

So it's probably a start up that's trying to have a single person as a one stop shop for...every single computer need in existence. Including developing all of the 6 different idea guy's apps.

"Must also be comfortable wearing kneepads and making eye contact, because the VC guys are gonna want some spit-polishing when they stop by, if you know what I mean."

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm hosting a meeting to review a new client with our helpdesk before officially handing the client over for full support desk services and the meeting is hosted by myself and whichever technician did the onsite work. The onsite tech generally takes over for the last quarter of the meeting to do a virtual walkthrough of the clinic using pictures they took. Usually super boring.

I just finished covering my section and handed things over to the onsite tech to do his part. I stopped sharing and he started sharing his screen. The window he had open minimized while he swapped to the folder his pictures are in.

His background was fully visible for about 1.5 seconds.

It was two furries in diapers hardcore loving.

Then it was gone. Now I'm watching literally everyone in this meeting trying to keep a straight face and failing and the presenter is moving gamely forward.

For the first time ever, this is none of my concern.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the onsite tech? so that background is on his work computer?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I loving hope not but I don't even know how to begin bringing this up.

"So about those making GBS threads dogs loving on your desktop" seems a little brusque.

Honestly I'm just going to mention it to his supervisor and let him handle it.

I don't get paid near enough to kinkshame.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i mean if he has the making GBS threads dogs on there in the first place i don't think addressing it frankly and straightforwardly is gonna rattle him too much

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yo buddy just a heads up we all saw your desktop. Cheers and take care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

also for some reason the fact that they're making GBS threads has me twice as shook as the original post. talk about a buried lede. maybe i'm the kinkshamer