Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
A big rear end squash, or a ten pound bag of potatoes, a box of condoms and like 17 tubes of astro glide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tP9yQVnQU4

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
*Joke shamelessly stolen from comedian Ed Byrne*

When buying alcohol for a big party it's always fun to pretend to get a pack of diapers as well, then act like you don't have enough money for everything and put the diapers back while still buying alcohol for hundreds of dollars.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Offler posted:

I bet I could manage at least a pair of raised eyebrows, you just need to combine the right items. Like a pregnancy test together with a single wire hanger.

Having been a cashier, honestly probably wouldnt even have noticed unless maybe you were the first customer of a shift. Its just barcodes, beep beep beep, yeah it didnt ring through the first time so its free definitely havent heard that one 5 times so far this shift, total is this, all while while hoping that its not so busy that you're slammed, but not so quiet you get told to clean stuff and face up shelves instead. I was more likely to notice someone looking embarrassed with their shopping than anything potentially odd about the items themselves (usually it was someone embarrassed to be buying sanitary products from a male cashier which... Who do you think put them on the shelves? Hand them over, I'll scan them, you pay for them and I can get back to daydreaming about having a non-customer facing job).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Bruh,

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
fun fact, this line is actually overdubbed

it was "in Dallas" in the script, and you can see his lips move appropriately because he's saying "in Dallas", but then JFK got shot so they recorded him saying "in Vegas" and just used that audio instead

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Watching a Social Distortion concert on YouTube and what do I see?

An ad for Nickelback.

Unsure if I’m old or young at this point.

E: another for Shinedown. Am I trapped in the 90s?

goatsestretchgoals has a new favorite as of 11:18 on Feb 4, 2023

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Am I trapped in the 90s?

Wouldn't that be nice

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

An ad for Nickelback.

Those are 2000s bands!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

An ad for Nickelback.

Old. Also yeah we're almost in the 00s curve not looking forward to the gelled hair.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Old. Also yeah we're almost in the 00s curve not looking forward to the gelled hair.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Offler posted:

I bet I could manage at least a pair of raised eyebrows, you just need to combine the right items. Like a pregnancy test together with a single wire hanger.
A pregnancy test and a shotgun.*

*There are at least a few Walmarts where you can still do this I think.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

A pregnancy test and a shotgun.*

*There are at least a few Walmarts where you can still do this I think.

Just wait until you find out which purchase is being restricted! :D :(

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I thought Walmart stopped selling ammo?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They never stopped selling shotgun ammo.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Only .223/5.56 and handgun ammo, with the exception of .22LR.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The people who guessed the M&Ms thing was a Super Bowl marketing stunt were on the money.

https://twitter.com/zappos/status/1623869442445946880?s=46&t=JmYiiW4S_qyw6m6xsdf0ag

I guess the various M&Ms are going to cross promote other brands. It’s stupid as hell but it gets Tucker Carlson mad and horney.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It was pretty obvious on its face, but anyone who didn't realize it was a stunt the instant they announced Maya Rudolph was an idiot. That kind of celebrity participation doesn't get planned, negotiated and produced in a week.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/Cullen13111367/status/1623921108541124613?s=20&t=CDC30rryCwMbENn7jwq1rQ

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
All the Super Bowl ads were really uninspired this year. There was a Caddyshack themed ad, but starring the guys from Succession. There was one with Will Ferrell, but he was in Squid Game. They all felt like those Threadless mashup t-shirts with Doctor Who fighting Star Wars.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
-nevermind-

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ghost emoji posted:

All the Super Bowl ads were really uninspired this year. There was a Caddyshack themed ad, but starring the guys from Succession. There was one with Will Ferrell, but he was in Squid Game. They all felt like those Threadless mashup t-shirts with Doctor Who fighting Star Wars.

Would you say that they lacked combinatory value?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The ad that was a couple dancing getting drunk while waiting on hold for customer service pissed me off. Idk what beer it was even an ad for because they didn't drink it, they already were drunk. What kind of message does that send, especially back to back with that Jesus ad funded by anti lgbtq Hobby Lobby insano's?

https://sports.yahoo.com/jesus-focused-gets-us-super-145800772.html

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Feb 13, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

CJacobs posted:

The ad that was a couple dancing getting drunk while waiting on hold for customer service pissed me off. Idk what beer it was even an ad for because they didn't drink it, they already were drunk. What kind of message does that send, especially back to back with that Jesus ad funded by anti lgbtq Hobby Lobby insano's?

https://sports.yahoo.com/jesus-focused-gets-us-super-145800772.html

That was my favorite ad, it was for Bud Light and featured the timeless Cisco Call Manager hold music, Opus 1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a great way to get hung up on by customer service and have a chance to hear more of the music I guess.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

That was my favorite ad, it was for Bud Light and featured the timeless Cisco Call Manager hold music, Opus 1.

I honestly don’t think the ad would have worked as well as it had if they had used fake hold music. The fact that I had heard it before (albeit never at that high of audio quality) made the commercial hilarious to me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ghost emoji posted:

They've been uninspired since the 90's, and only exist as a test bed for the coming year's ad campaigns.

Unless there was some extreme backlash against any of those commercials, you're going to see them all, over, and over, and over again this year.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The people who guessed the M&Ms thing was a Super Bowl marketing stunt were on the money.

https://twitter.com/zappos/status/1623869442445946880?s=46&t=JmYiiW4S_qyw6m6xsdf0ag

I guess the various M&Ms are going to cross promote other brands. It’s stupid as hell but it gets Tucker Carlson mad and horney.

Tucker Carlson will be happy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Iron Crowned posted:

They've been uninspired since the 90's, and only exist as a test bed for the coming year's ad campaigns.

Unless there was some extreme backlash against any of those commercials, you're going to see them all, over, and over, and over again this year.

So many of them were some spin on "a slightly weird person dances to a song from 10-15 years ago, then a voiceover says the name of the product". Just the most pathetic, completely safe, budget cutting approach to making a commercial. I genuinely can't recall the products because there were so many that took that specific approach. Some old guy in front of a fountain? The scrubs dudes and really bald john travolta, I think?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Feb 13, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Frrancis/status/1624909919953760258

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Tucker Carlson will be happy.

Tucker Carlson works for the corporation that aired the Super Bowl. I feel he might have been a partner on this.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Is that due to it being a literal translation or is that really the context of the ad?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zil posted:

Is that due to it being a literal translation or is that really the context of the ad?

That really is the context of the ad. McDonalds Norway thinks it's a good thing if you're stressed at work.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Alhazred posted:

That really is the context of the ad. McDonalds Norway thinks it's a good thing if you're stressed at work.

"Stress" has a bunch of different connotations though. The word has enough ambiguity that a machine translation isn't necessarily going to get the right meaning across. If there's a universally negative reaction in Norway that word probably isn't used in the same contexts.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2012/12/good-stress-bad-stress.html

"Rise to the challenge of working at McDonalds!" is the presumed message, the general issues with entry level food service work aside.

AreWeDrunkYet has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Feb 13, 2023

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

ghost emoji posted:

I will say that Brian Cox was a really good replacement for Ted Knight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol yes I’m sure McDonald’s is out there referencing medical journals

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Stress" has a bunch of different connotations though. The word has enough ambiguity that a machine translation isn't necessarily going to get the right meaning across. If there's a universally negative reaction in Norway that word probably isn't used in the same contexts.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2012/12/good-stress-bad-stress.html

My native tongue is norwegian, the translation got it right.
Also, that article says that stress can be good during a short period of time, not long term like a job.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Feb 13, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Alhazred posted:

My native tongue is norwegian, the translation got it right.
So it's more like "You'll face challenges working at McDonald's--and then we'll teach you the tools to conquer them"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

So it's more like "You'll face challenges working at McDonald's--and then we'll teach you the tools to conquer them"?

Except that's not what they wrote on the ad.