Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

tildes posted:

Also, would the Shimano PD-EH500 be a reasonable option for getting a pedal which is both flat and clip-in?
I've used a couple different dual sided pedals, but not this model specifically. Others in the thread have spoken well of having mtb pins in the flat side line these ones do. I'm inclined to believe them.

dema posted:

Not a massive fan of the dual sided pedals. Don't they default to the platform being up? So you have to spin them around with your toe to clip in? Or is it the other way around? I had them for a minute, way back in the day, and I ditched them pretty quickly.
This thing comes up every time dual sided pedals come up. I can't stress enough how much of a non-issue the "I've stepped on the wrong side" thing is when you're actually riding. The pedals will spin with the crank. If you find yourself on the wrong side you don't even have to stop pedaling. Lift your foot off the pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke, let it spin to the top of the stroke, then put your foot back on the pedal. It's wildly easy.

Edit: I'm making this edit because my wife is calling me out for not calling them by their real name. Party pedals. They're party pedals. Hell yeah.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

Padded liner shorts are a revelation, holy poo poo. I know this should have probably been obvious based on what literally everyone has been saying, but even compared to my expectations they are so helpful.

Is there anything I should be thinking about fit wise in terms of getting a more involved spandex Lycra thing?

Also, would the Shimano PD-EH500 be a reasonable option for getting a pedal which is both flat and clip-in?

This was me last year.

Pay attention to sizing charts, and avoid the temptation to buy one size larger than you think you need "just in case." Spandex should be form-fitting and at least a little tight. If, like me, this is your first foray into Spandex or any other serious activewear in general, it might seem counterintuitive that tight clothes are way more comfortable and less likely to chafe, but it's true.

As for the pedals, there was some discussion about this not too many pages back. I plan on going with the clipless/flat pedals because I don't want to always have to wear special shoes to ride my road bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

tildes posted:

Padded liner shorts are a revelation, holy poo poo. I know this should have probably been obvious based on what literally everyone has been saying, but even compared to my expectations they are so helpful.

Is there anything I should be thinking about fit wise in terms of getting a more involved spandex Lycra thing?
You didn't ask this but since you're new to padded cycling wear, avoid wearing them multiple days in a row without washing. And wash them soon after you wear them. Unless you're cool with repeatedly putting a steadily worsening crotch bacteria sponge on your junk. It'll help keep the eventual semi permanent sweaty synthetics smell away for longer. And prevent chafing, because a lot of abrasive salt from your sweat accumulates there.

quote:

I’ve also heard mountain bike shoes can be a nice way to get used to clipping in while still being able to walk around easily for breaks. Would that be a reasonable place to start?

Yes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
On that note... chamois butter.

I rode my bike over some pretty decent distances for a beginner (up to 50 miles or so) before a 42-mile ride gave me a big saddle sore in the form of a blister. It was nasty. I didn't notice it until I was taking off my bike shorts at home, and there was blood and blister juice. This was right before September, when someone had suggested I do the St. Jude Challenge (not much of a challenge; 150 miles in the whole month), and I had to take a solid week off. Hell, I ended up making bandages to keep my underwear from sticking to the weeping wound. All of this because of a five-mile stretch of trail that was ostensibly oil-and-chip, but in reality is an old paved levee road that has had road gravel (not fine, chipped limestone) tossed on top to cover the increasingly degraded pavement. Imagine riding a jackhammer for five miles one way, then five miles back.

Chamois butter prevented that from happening again, although to be fair, I haven't challenged that particular stretch of trail on my skinny-ish road bike tires since then.

So, yes, it sounds gross, but slathering goo all over your undercarriage isn't a bad idea if you're going for a long (for you) ride, especially if it's a little rougher than you're used to.

Pay for the undercoating.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I am looking to upgrade the crank and ring on my kids 16" BMX bike from extra lovely to slightly okay. Any recommendations on something cheap but okay for a five year old who shreds the skatepark?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Literally A Person posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I am looking to upgrade the crank and ring on my kids 16" BMX bike from extra lovely to slightly okay. Any recommendations on something cheap but okay for a five year old who shreds the skatepark?

gonna need more info on that crank, is it a one piece crank with the arms connected or are they bolted onto a square taper bottom bracket? Best way to know is for you to post a pic

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

gonna need more info on that crank, is it a one piece crank with the arms connected or are they bolted onto a square taper bottom bracket? Best way to know is for you to post a pic

Okay, cool, I'll take a pic when I have light tomorrow morning.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Just wait the 3 months or so it takes a 5 year old to outgrow all their stuff and get them a rad new bike.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

tildes posted:

Padded liner shorts are a revelation, holy poo poo.

How are they for not-cycling things? Like can I reasonably wear them on my commute and be okay walking around at work all day.

I guess I can't really see any reason why they'd not be fine as regular underwear but I dunno. Bikes and bike accessories is a whole new world for me

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
No you'll feel like you're wearing a diaper all day.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Just wait the 3 months or so it takes a 5 year old to outgrow all their stuff and get them a rad new bike.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

EvilJoven posted:

Eh, the 16" is probably gonna last for a couple of years at this point. It's p big for a BMX bike for him. We've also just kind of been treating it as a project bike anyway.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Eh, the 16" is probably gonna last for a couple of years at this point. It's p big for a BMX bike for him. We've also just kind of been treating it as a project bike anyway.

I also just bought a bike with sixteen inch wheels, make sure the clamps are all tightened so it doesn't fold on him.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tildes posted:

I’ve also heard mountain bike shoes can be a nice way to get used to clipping in while still being able to walk around easily for breaks. Would that be a reasonable place to start?

E: also to complete the baby’s first real biking combo, would a left hand side power meter be an ok alternative to getting power meter pedals? They seem much cheaper.

A power meter can come later if you don’t yet even have clipless pedals or bib shorts. They’re just a fun toy unless you’re going to be training seriously following a programme, very much not essential.

Shoes are expensive, but important. Buy the best and stiffest ones you can afford. SPD pedal shoes are pretty much all mtb shoes, you’ll need to choose between performance cross country shoes with lugs and dials (obviously sporty) or the more undercover, urban skate shoe looking ones that have a normal trainer grip.

You’ll tweak everything about your bike over time, priority should be all the contact points, pedals, saddle, handlebar / stem.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

tildes posted:

E: also to complete the baby’s first real biking combo, would a left hand side power meter be an ok alternative to getting power meter pedals? They seem much cheaper.

I bought power meter pedals after getting used to seeing power on Zwift all through lockdown. I find them really helpful on super long rides to judge if I'm pushing too hard (e.g. I know I can put out 250w for 7 hours). I also find it useful when I'm feeling lovely on a ride to have a number on my bike computer that tells me whether it's the wind/hills or if I've bonked or got the beginnings of a cold.

You probably don't need dual sided though, unless you're worried you have a significant left/right imbalance (if you push much harder with the non-power side on a crank meter your readings will all be low because it's just doubling the power from the side it's installed on) or interested in how your l/r balance changes as you get tired or during sprints. I bought pedals mostly so I could move them between bikes, a pair of dual sided Assioma's is only twice as much as a crank arm meter.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

tildes posted:

I have these and the PD-T8000s on two different bikes. The EH500s are great but the pins on the flat side are raised metal nubs. The PD-T8000s have replaceable metal pins which are nice and grippy on a wet day. The T8000s are also absolutely bulletproof- I have 10k+ mixed road/gravel miles on them with zero maintenance and plenty of pedal strikes and they still work flawlessly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EvilJoven posted:

No you'll feel like you're wearing a diaper all day.

Maybe I'm vain, but I'd be more worried about looking like I'm wearing a diaper.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a loathsome bird posted:

I have these and the PD-T8000s on two different bikes. The EH500s are great but the pins on the flat side are raised metal nubs. The PD-T8000s have replaceable metal pins which are nice and grippy on a wet day. The T8000s are also absolutely bulletproof- I have 10k+ mixed road/gravel miles on them with zero maintenance and plenty of pedal strikes and they still work flawlessly.

The EH500 are replaceable metal pins as well.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The EH500 are replaceable metal pins as well.

Derp you are 100% correct. I guess I need to adjust mine out a little because they are definitely not as grippy currently.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Here is the crank I am looking to replace:

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

It's obviously your time and decision, but I wouldn't spend 5 minutes on any upgrades to that beyond keeping it lubed. If turning the crank turns the wheel, it's working.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Albinator posted:

It's obviously your time and decision, but I wouldn't spend 5 minutes on any upgrades to that beyond keeping it lubed. If turning the crank turns the wheel, it's working.

It's p much just for fun so consider my time worthless.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
what in your mind is so lovely about that crank that it needs to upgraded immediately? The wheels and pedals look pretty lovely too. I think you should value your time and your kid's time on the bike a bit more and invest in a better bike. Trek Precalibur or Cannondale Quick Kids, or even a Guardian bike

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I fully agree with Jockerpilled, but it you really want to, do you have a bike coop close by? That is a good bet for sourcing a replacment crank. They will also have lots of affordable replacment kids bikes, too, but ignore those. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpl_wlTBC8k will see you right for uninstalling and reinstalling.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
get the kid a dolan df4 stat

what apps/sites can i use for sponsored bike rides? i am looking to raise money for a specific gofundme but idk how to make that happen

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

what in your mind is so lovely about that crank that it needs to upgraded immediately? The wheels and pedals look pretty lovely too. I think you should value your time and your kid's time on the bike a bit more and invest in a better bike. Trek Precalibur or Cannondale Quick Kids, or even a Guardian bike

He likes this frame. Like, chose it himself likes it. I mean if it's not possible that's what it is but I was hoping to go down to something smaller as sometimes when he drops into something vertical the sprocket and chain grind on the concrete.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

He likes this frame. Like, chose it himself likes it. I mean if it's not possible that's what it is but I was hoping to go down to something smaller as sometimes when he drops into something vertical the sprocket and chain grind on the concrete.

are we even certain this is actually a BMX bike? Bikes like this rallye often come with stickers that say "NOT FOR STUNT/TRICK RIDING"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

are we even certain this is actually a BMX bike? Bikes like this rallye often come with stickers that say "NOT FOR STUNT/TRICK RIDING"

I have not seen this sticker specifically. It's been ridden pretty drat hard and is still in one piece so there's that but, yeah, no idea.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

OK, I understand the attachment; both my kids are long past the little bike stage (and are much more expensive to boot!) but I do remember the time. What I will say there is that their memories are also pretty short, and they'll understand changing if they get a better experience out of it and they're engaged in the process. If your little guy is hooning around that confidently it may just be that he needs something a bit more competent, and at that size it really is better to get a more suitable bike than try to adjust to fit (provided you can afford it). From what I can see of that bike, I think it's questionably a BMX, too. The second hand market can be very helpful; I was serious about the bike coop thing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
There is a bike co-op two towns over so maybe we'll go check it out. I guess maybe I'll try and talk him into a new bike. I saw a couple recommendations a few posts back. Anyone else have some to look at. I'm not scared to spend a few bucks as we probably will have a year or two at least on a bike this size.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I usually leave clothes and shoes at work so I can commute and then go for a ride after work most days without having to carry anything. You'll also want multiple pairs of shorts because it's not something you can wear multiple days in row without washing. However, if I was just riding to/from work I'd just wear regular clothes. Getting the right saddle, and having it in the right position (height, angle, fore-aft) goes a long way toward being comfortable.

These are my current go to for wearing under regular clothes/mountain biking:with baggy shorts:

https://www.pearlizumi.com/products/mens-cargo-bib-liner-shorts-19111908

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 13, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There is a bike co-op two towns over so maybe we'll go check it out. I guess maybe I'll try and talk him into a new bike. I saw a couple recommendations a few posts back. Anyone else have some to look at. I'm not scared to spend a few bucks as we probably will have a year or two at least on a bike this size.
Cleary, isla, woom, early rider, vitus, frog, a bunch more. It's worth getting something from a brand that makes good kids bikes IMO, the result is most often better than something from a giant (adult) bike brand.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

dema posted:

Not a massive fan of the dual sided pedals. Don't they default to the platform being up? So you have to spin them around with your toe to clip in? Or is it the other way around? I had them for a minute, way back in the day, and I ditched them pretty quickly.
I had dual sided on mine and did just fine. If it's upside down you just give it a nudge on your way in. Works fine.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

evil_bunnY posted:

Cleary, isla, woom, early rider, vitus, frog, a bunch more. It's worth getting something from a brand that makes good kids bikes IMO, the result is most often better than something from a giant (adult) bike brand.

Cool! Gonna check some of these out. Maybe see if a used one is hanging around the resale stores.

You guys have been crazy helpful. Thanks.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

It's p much just for fun so consider my time worthless.

Single piece cranks suck the bottom brackets are usually poorly built and getting the preload on the bearings right with such poor components is going to be such a horrible pain in the rear end it is just not going to be fun.

Imagine trying to assemble a poorly designed model kit, unless you're specifically looking for the challenge of dealing with lovely components don't bother.

Edit: and I'm not just talking specifically about the old components of that bike I'm talking brand new ones out of the box they just don't build parts like that well because they expect the bike to be considered cheap and disposable.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 13, 2023

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Look also at Cult, Haro or Sunday for BMX specifically. Plenty of others, too.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
My NeoPro bibs and jersey came in, and they fit. They look sharp on me, too.

When I pulled the bibs out and saw how big they weren't, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get the straps up over my shoulders. But they fit just fine, and I can't wait to try them out. The bibs have a thick elastic band around each leg hole instead of silicone grippers; reviews don't mention any issues with this, but we'll see.

This is the one I went with. I was going to get something more colorful and loud, but I also really like the navy blue.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

There are adapters to let a nicer bracket fit inside the one-piece shell but the cost of all those parts & tools is going to be more than the bike

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

brand engager posted:

There are adapters to let a nicer bracket fit inside the one-piece shell but the cost of all those parts & tools is going to be more than the bike

Does a one piece crank come with its own BB standard? In other words, it's definitely not a BMX shell if it's one piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I don't see why there would be more than one standard for that type of crank, it would eat into their savings if they need tooling for multiple standards on those walmart bikes