Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

kedo posted:

I played this recently on the Treebeard server (which is basically the equivalent to WoW classic), it was a lot of fun but everyone playing are folks who have been playing since launch, so folks rush through content like any other mmo. I enjoyed it when I was playing solo, but once I started getting in to pubbie dungeon groups a lot of the fun fell away because people were skipping content/sprinting through fights/complaining that I didn't know what I was doing [I didn't], etc. A good guild (or friends who also haven't played the game before) might address these issues, though.

Modern UO is unrecognizable compared to original UO, I wouldn't recommend it. Outlands is a great free shard, but ye be warned it is brutal. The map feels a lot smaller than original UO and good loot/leveling spots are therefore highly concentrated, so you'll get ganked a lot unless you're rolling with a posse. They also not only allow, but actively promote macroing and in fact the client download straight up includes a third party macro tool, so the "normal" way of playing is to create a character and then leave it casting spells on a polar bear in a zoo overnight so you can skip a lot of the grind. You don't have to do this, but UO is a VERY grindy game if you don't, especially for some of the most sought after skills (eg. animal taming).

Not really a huge fan of macroing and of all the MMOs on this list, Ultima is the one I know the least about and would be approaching with the fewest preconceived notions. Might check out that private shard but I feel like the live servers would probably be fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashurbanipal
Jun 2, 2010
anyone know if there is a gloria victis thread? only have seen it mentioned here. doesn't seem great, but I'm bored and would like to know where to go to play with goons.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ashurbanipal posted:

anyone know if there is a gloria victis thread? only have seen it mentioned here. doesn't seem great, but I'm bored and would like to know where to go to play with goons.

Looks like there is one with three posts that has been dead since some time in 2019.

So I guess not.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

FrostyPox posted:

Not really a huge fan of macroing and of all the MMOs on this list, Ultima is the one I know the least about and would be approaching with the fewest preconceived notions. Might check out that private shard but I feel like the live servers would probably be fine for me.

There's no way you can really capture the magic of old live UO. The live servers as they are today have different mechanics in place and a poo poo ton of gold inflation. I felt that Outlands was not it either, I liked that it sort of had the old rules in place but they had other things going on that didn't appeal to me.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I get that. I'm not really looking for anything specific, and I certainly don't expect to get the same experience I would've during a given game's glory days, just the experience of a game I haven't played. Modern FFXI is not much like old FFXI as far as I know, but I have enjoyed it quite a bit.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

All right I'm just gonna randomize which one I'm gonna play, brb

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

god loving help me

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

God help me

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Initial report

Yowza this is a rough looking game with a janky UI. The newbie area is definitely changed, IIRC back in the day it just dumped you in Omni/Athens/Borealis backyard, so that it has a tutorial at all is a step up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

Initial report

Yowza this is a rough looking game with a janky UI. The newbie area is definitely changed, IIRC back in the day it just dumped you in Omni/Athens/Borealis backyard, so that it has a tutorial at all is a step up.

I remember being totally flummoxed with Anarchy Online even back when it was current. There's so many submenus stuffed into menus and a truly baroque skill system that I don't think I ever got a handle on in my brief time playing.

It's always kind of surprising hearing that these games are still up and running, although the servers likely cost mere pennies on the dime to keep up. Wonder what the population's looking like nowadays.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

All of the goons here probably played janky MMO called project gorgon. But more goons should try that MMO, especially if they enjoyed things like uo/runescape/asherons call in the past. Just never see it in the lists that's all. (probably for a reason)

I have MMO brainworms and with gorgon it's often so bad I delete my characters, but I always come back to it year after year, bad case of mmotitis perhaps.

Also city of heroes is a good chill one to try, but for different reasons.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

FrostyPox posted:

God help me

This game rules actually, go bureaucrat

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Go engineer, and complete the epic quest to build a better gun.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Strotski posted:

I played CoH for 8 years and pop in to Homecoming from time to time.

I went Fixer in AO cuz gotta go fast and pew pew SMG

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

God help me

Why does this make me want to play Earth and Beyond?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Vermain posted:

I remember being totally flummoxed with Anarchy Online even back when it was current. There's so many submenus stuffed into menus and a truly baroque skill system that I don't think I ever got a handle on in my brief time playing.

This is why they had the whole Advisors of Rubi-Ka system of volunteer mods to pop around the world helping out newbies. I did this for a good stretch way back in the day, and 99% of the time when I popped up next to a random new player asking if they needed any help the conversation went like this:

"Hello and welcome to Rubi-Ka! I'm Advisor Kedo, can I be of any assistance to you today?"

"If you don't know how to chat, press your spacebar to jump twice."

*jumps twice*

etc. etc. Nothing about the game was user friendly, but man did it have some charm once your brain broke enough to understand it.

I had someone once ask me what skill wrangling was and I was like WOOF, sit down child and get a water because this is going to take awhile.

e:

GoGoGadget posted:

Why does this make me want to play Earth and Beyond?

Man, I miss that game.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 9, 2023

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Strotski posted:

All of the goons here probably played janky MMO called project gorgon. But more goons should try that MMO, especially if they enjoyed things like uo/runescape/asherons call in the past. Just never see it in the lists that's all. (probably for a reason)

I have MMO brainworms and with gorgon it's often so bad I delete my characters, but I always come back to it year after year, bad case of mmotitis perhaps.

I played it back when it was in alpha/free to play, I've been waiting for it to drop to about 10 bucks but the dev is stingy and won't sell for less than 20.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I played it back when it was in alpha/free to play, I've been waiting for it to drop to about 10 bucks but the dev is stingy and won't sell for less than 20.
Yeah I actually remember you from those days too!

It's probably gonna go on sale soon enough, but I reckon it'll still be 20 something bucks.

The game now has mounts from the early levels, and general QoL things that it needed. Also today after many years of playing on and off I discovered it even has golf and that's the most gorgon thing imaginable, and I said to myself "of course it has golf, makes sense for PG to spend dev time on a thing like that yep".

Strotski fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 10, 2023

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I can't believe the Realmud server is still going. Its over 20 years old.

I recall back in 2006 I was playing Europa UO official and it being 9 years old made a huge impression on me.

This is somewhat of a cultural phenomenon imo. Much like the old muds who are still going active and strong, they might be 30 years old but I'm now convinced some of them will persist indefinately. Its great.

duddits posted:

Anybody ever play Dragonrealms? Decent MUD that's been going at least 25+ years. It manages to suck me back in once in a while, but is a super high learning curve and quite a grind.

Ranzear posted:

I and my comrade revisit Batmud twice a decade or so. We might be due actually.

You might wamma keep an eye on this thread. They put it in Tradgames, for whatever reason
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903080&pagenumber=12#lastpost

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Traditional Games is it's own main forum now. That MUD thread is in Retro Games, a subforum of Video Games. Very fun thread to read and reminisce in.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Blacula posted:

Traditional Games is it's own main forum now. That MUD thread is in Retro Games, a subforum of Video Games. Very fun thread to read and reminisce in.

sounds good ! It was misplaced in tradgames

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There was a MUD thread for ages in TG for whatever reason but yeah once Retro Games opened a new MUD thread sprang up there.

I go through a cycle every oh, eight months or so? of spinning up a character on the Discworld MUD, trundling around my favourite parts of Ankh-Morpork, doing the quests I can remember of the top of my head and then immediate stop playing because I can't plunge hundreds of hours into that game like I did when I was young. Extremely fond memories though, great game.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Mode 7 posted:

There was a MUD thread for ages in TG for whatever reason but yeah once Retro Games opened a new MUD thread sprang up there.

I go through a cycle every oh, eight months or so? of spinning up a character on the Discworld MUD, trundling around my favourite parts of Ankh-Morpork, doing the quests I can remember of the top of my head and then immediate stop playing because I can't plunge hundreds of hours into that game like I did when I was young. Extremely fond memories though, great game.

You should load up the same character each time, that is what I do :P That way when I'm 60 years old I'll have something to work with

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm still keeping a torch burning for three vaporware nostalgia bait MMO projects, does anyone else have any takes on the (approaching zero) likelihood any of these will be released?

Monsters and Memories, this one has, easily, my favorite aesthetic because it looks just like the greatest MMO ever made, EQOA for the PS2: https://monstersandmemories.com/

Evercraft I'm interest in only because it seems to have the most competent dev team: https://evercraftonline.com/

And Galaxies of Eden is a straight SWG ripoff with what appears to be a fairly passionate and devoted group of developers who just don't have the resources or capacity of the Evercraft guys: https://galaxiesofeden.com/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Monsters and Memories is the one I really want to be finished. It'll never come out though.

duddits
Dec 22, 2009

Mr. Pickles posted:

You might wamma keep an eye on this thread. They put it in Tradgames, for whatever reason
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903080&pagenumber=12#lastpost

I actually used to play with the OP of that thread, and backed out slowly in case she comes back.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I've tried a couple of random MUDs but bounced off pretty hard.
A couple of my friends were die hard into this cyberpunk mud and I was watching one 9f them play once
Their character had locked their keys in their car so another random player in the zone offered to pick the lock. He crit failed and immediately got electrocuted to death lmao

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

I've tried a couple of random MUDs but bounced off pretty hard.
A couple of my friends were die hard into this cyberpunk mud and I was watching one 9f them play once
Their character had locked their keys in their car so another random player in the zone offered to pick the lock. He crit failed and immediately got electrocuted to death lmao

haha

MUDs do seem to be a pretty hard sell on gameplay alone, but the stories that come out of them can't be beat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has anyone been following City of Titans? That is another MMORPG I just remembered that will never come out.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I said come in! posted:

Has anyone been following City of Titans? That is another MMORPG I just remembered that will never come out.

lol

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah all of the CoH-likes got the wind taken out of their sails by homecoming, and they weren't exactly strong projects to begin with

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Agreed, all the CoH spiritual successors either looked like complete rear end, were headed by a mentally unwell person (Golden Girl) and also looked like complete rear end, or were City of Titans which is never, ever, ever coming out in any capacity and is the Star Citizen of superhero MMOs. I agree that Homecoming really deflated CoT but I suspect it would've been vaporware regardless.

EDIT: I don't use "mentally unwell" lightly, toward the end of the City of Heroes forum days they were regularly posting about how the US should reconsider its strategic alliance with South Korea and wished North Korea would invade them or something like that

Over a video game being shut down

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 14, 2023

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I'm also 99% sure Golden Girl's thing was just a complete and total scam based off assets made in Poser

Which would be a funny grift if that's all it was, but then the genuinely insane routine of posting fake dev updates for literal years is a pretty advanced form of "what the gently caress"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I legitimately believe Golden Girl suffers from some kind of mental illness. I think they actually thought they were developing a game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Geez I remember that person from the CoH forums even though I didn't really post or use it a whole lot.

Wasn't there a CoH like that was on a giant ship or something? I just looked it up, Ship of Heroes lol.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I'm still keeping a torch burning for three vaporware nostalgia bait MMO projects, does anyone else have any takes on the (approaching zero) likelihood any of these will be released?

Monsters and Memories, this one has, easily, my favorite aesthetic because it looks just like the greatest MMO ever made, EQOA for the PS2: https://monstersandmemories.com/

Evercraft I'm interest in only because it seems to have the most competent dev team: https://evercraftonline.com/

And Galaxies of Eden is a straight SWG ripoff with what appears to be a fairly passionate and devoted group of developers who just don't have the resources or capacity of the Evercraft guys: https://galaxiesofeden.com/

Not a fan of M&M but EverCraft and GEO are both very exciting to me. Also keeping an eye on Starfall, Profane, and BitCraft but more cautious about them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i hope someone makes a 100% science based dragon mmo someday

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Also following EverCraft. I’ve played in the last few open alphas and had a great time. Awesome dev team and community.

This last mini-alpha I think I ended up being one of the the most blinged-out players - I scoured the world for special areas and quests and got a few chance rare mob spawns with unique gear drops. It was really fun poking around and trying to find questlines and hidden areas.

Hard to get a good sense of how the game will scale with more levels and a larger world - IMO MMOs are always most fun at the start when everyone is playing through the same content and leveling areas are well populated - but I’m excited nonetheless.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
The first person lock makes evercraft a hard no for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

an iksar marauder posted:

The first person lock makes evercraft a hard no for me

But it's the canon way to play.