Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

He's a sweet kid who isn't really capable of the violence that the other men around him are.

This is very well stated. It encapsulates the character as well as anything ever has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Kid almost drowned in 3 inches of water

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Aw, poor him.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
CONSERVE!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
One thing that always struck me when I was watching the Sopranos each season, was that they always continued a story in between seasons, and started each season with established story changes already in place. The viewer had to pay attention to pick up on these changes as sometimes they were subtle, and they were rarely explicitly spelled out. Game of Thrones on the other hand, and other shows, spend an entire episode rehashing the previous season and rarely even get into new story in the first episode. Just another way that Sopranos is better than TV today, I guess. . . I dunno, why did I think this was worthy of posting? I feel like Chris speaking at Livia's wake.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
previously, on The Sopranos

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL!

“I happen to know you were high, in your sopranos thread post. You were talking nonstop for twenty minutes, nothing but gibberish.”

But yeah, Sopranos didn’t make much effort to catch people up. And then the absolute king of this approach was The Wire. You’d be totally lost trying to jump into that show starting with S2 or S3.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MrMojok posted:

LOL!

“I happen to know you were high, in your sopranos thread post. You were talking nonstop for twenty minutes, nothing but gibberish.”

But yeah, Sopranos didn’t make much effort to catch people up. And then the absolute king of this approach was The Wire. You’d be totally lost trying to jump into that show starting with S2 or S3.

Honestly even just jumping into S1 I missed a ton, you really need to watch that whole show before you start it

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
The Sopranos is full of little moments that reward paying attention. They say The Wire is the same but I found it was trying to be too clever- Sopranos by contrast is more respectful of the audience and doesn't take it quite as far.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

escape artist posted:

One thing that always struck me when I was watching the Sopranos each season, was that they always continued a story in between seasons, and started each season with established story changes already in place. The viewer had to pay attention to pick up on these changes as sometimes they were subtle, and they were rarely explicitly spelled out. Game of Thrones on the other hand, and other shows, spend an entire episode rehashing the previous season and rarely even get into new story in the first episode. Just another way that Sopranos is better than TV today, I guess. . . I dunno, why did I think this was worthy of posting? I feel like Chris speaking at Livia's wake.

They say there’s no two posters on SA exactly the same. No two avatars, no two sets of red text. But do they know that for sure? Cuz they would have to get everybody together in one huge thread. And obviously that’s not possible even with computers. But not only that, they’d have to get all the goons that ever registered, not just the ones now. So they got no proof. They got nothin.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
My partner and I have started Mad Men for the first time and holy poo poo is it good.

I'm sure everyone ITT has already seen it but on the off chance you haven't, Watch It

Futanari Damacy posted:

The Sopranos is full of little moments that reward paying attention. They say The Wire is the same but I found it was trying to be too clever- Sopranos by contrast is more respectful of the audience and doesn't take it quite as far.

My parents - who are otherwise very conventional television watchers who tend towards very easy consumption (Dad loves The Big Bang Theory) - absolutely adored The Wire and consider it the best TV show they ever watched.

It's certainly a very demanding show but I think almost anyone can get on its level

Edit edit they really loved The Sopranos too but The Wire is still top dog for them

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 12, 2023

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I honestly thought Mad Men was awful having attempted to watch it after Sopranos and The Wire. Draper is like the least interesting person on that show and its [Historic Event Happens] episodes they do every so often were just the worst.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bad opinion

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

banned from Starbucks posted:

I honestly thought Mad Men was awful having attempted to watch it after Sopranos and The Wire. Draper is like the least interesting person on that show and its [Historic Event Happens] episodes they do every so often were just the worst.

<Obligatory "post your source" post>

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol liking that show is one thing...thinking it's anywhere near the quality of Sopranos is just being delusional

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I started a rewatch of Mad Men today and it's one of those shows that's just so comfy to exist in for a while (even if everything that happens on screen is profoundly uncomfortable).

The first season really goes hard on portraying every character as casually misogynistic, racist, antisemitic and homophobic though. From what I remember that eases off a bit over time.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

its [Historic Event Happens] episodes they do every so often were just the worst.

Correct.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The flood is one of the best episodes of the series

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Maybe Sopranos fans are just a glorified crew.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Lol liking that show is one thing...thinking it's anywhere near the quality of Sopranos is just being delusional

don't sign your posts

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Brother Mouzone is supposed to be cool and serious, but to me he comes off as a very silly character.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
They call him Brother Mozzarella, T. He's from Iraq or somethin'

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
What if Sopranos... But anime :keke:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Whale Vomit posted:

What if Sopranos... But anime :keke:

SHE WAS ABUSIVE TO THE STAAAAAAAAFF *hair goes SSJ, blast lines*

Futanari Damacy posted:

Brother Mouzone is supposed to be cool and serious, but to me he comes off as a very silly character.

Pretty much no one on that show is "supposed to be cool" in the end (except Bunk, Bunk rules)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
jee-orja

whashing-tone-a

breeedge-a

:corsair:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

crispix posted:

jee-orja

whashing-tone-a

breeedge-a

:corsair:

Every time we drive through the Bronx and see Major Deegan I go "thats very good".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Something's wrong with his wheelchair.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Futanari Damacy posted:

Hard agree on this. He's very cartoonish to me and stands out quite a bit. The whole show is pretty serious and realistic with well written characters but Mouzone comes off like he belongs in a different show.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I enjoyed Homicide: Life on the Streets more than The Wire. I know people will think thats crazy. Wife just finished binging through all of ER on her own. That 90s Show we've been watching together but its another mail in job from Netflix. Wondering what to start into next. I'm a strange person in that I enjoy TV and movies but seldom ever make time for them, choosing to play games or do other things instead. This is compounded by the fact that when I do watch something, I must have undivided attention. I'll throw on The Simpsons or Frasier or something in the background while playing a game but I wouldn't put on The Sopranos, I have to sit and take it all in when its something like that.

I've never seen Band of Brothers, Mad Men, West Wing, The Shield, Six Feet Under. I dunno where to begin.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

codo27 posted:

I've never seen Band of Brothers, Mad Men, West Wing, The Shield, Six Feet Under. I dunno where to begin.

Band of Brothers is great and it’s really just the one season so you can slide it in wherever if you need a breather from a separate binge. The Shield is great, a little rough at the beginning but once it hits its stride you should be hooked. Mad Men was incredible week to week but I can’t imagine it being fun to watch a bunch in a row. West Wing sucks.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

codo27 posted:

I enjoyed Homicide: Life on the Streets more than The Wire. I know people will think thats crazy. Wife just finished binging through all of ER on her own. That 90s Show we've been watching together but its another mail in job from Netflix. Wondering what to start into next. I'm a strange person in that I enjoy TV and movies but seldom ever make time for them, choosing to play games or do other things instead. This is compounded by the fact that when I do watch something, I must have undivided attention. I'll throw on The Simpsons or Frasier or something in the background while playing a game but I wouldn't put on The Sopranos, I have to sit and take it all in when its something like that.

Band of Brothers is stellar. High production values, solid performances, great period set dressing, Ron Livingston... it's got everything.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Shield is by far the easiest watch of all the good dramas from the past two decades. Nothing else moves so quickly and has such a pulpy rear end plot. Totally different from all the prestige dramas that embrace extended shots and artistic B-rolls.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Skip The West Wing unless you really enjoy Bill Clinton Neoliberal cosplay where they say cutting social security is good.

It's a shame too because the cast puts in a good performance minus the cringe out of your skin Jackal scene.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I'd give Six Feet Under a miss because it's shite

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Action Serious posted:

Band of Brothers is great and it’s really just the one season so you can slide it in wherever if you need a breather from a separate binge. The Shield is great, a little rough at the beginning but once it hits its stride you should be hooked. Mad Men was incredible week to week but I can’t imagine it being fun to watch a bunch in a row. West Wing sucks.

Although as a small warning if you like The Shield and see that one of the creators also did Sons of Anarchy I'd give that one a miss or at least go very hard at pretending it only ran two seasons.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

codo27 posted:

Six Feet Under can be a slog, and as great as the finale is I don't know that dragging through the whole series is worth it. Band of Brothers is fantastic, as are The Pacific and Generation Kill (aka Ziggy Sobotka Goes to Iraq)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The Shield is such a strange show, it starts out as a very low budget case of the week kinda thing with faint hints of background plot, very 90s, and then it morphs into this prestige show, with Forest Whitaker and Glenn Close having major parts, and by the end it finds its stride and is absolutely incredible with perhaps the best final episode to any TV show ever. Most shows get worse as they go.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Edit: this guy knows what's up. /\ /\

Def try Band of Brothers and The Shield. The Shield has one of, if not the best, series finales ever.
The Pacific is pretty good too if you enjoy BoB

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 13, 2023

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
The 2000's were such a pathetic attempt at white dudes telling on themselvez. Fantastic TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Specifically, Tony would rather continuously embarrass his wife than admit he fucks around. He kills people for a living.