Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also the fish just jump onto your boat from time to time, come to rest against your feet, and then cause incessant screen rumble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Turn off screen shake in options it makes the game better

And set music to 0

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

The ocean waves in this game during a storm are obscenely cool, what the gently caress. They’re actually reminding me of being on a cruise ship and seeing 20-30ft monster waves off the sides.

Also, my longship got caught in a trough between 2 wave crests, and I’m pretty sure it took damage as the waves tried to fold it in half. I’m not entirely sure, because trying to sail through a storm is a fool’s errand and I’m the perfect fool for it :v:

yeah it feels like a real ocean

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I wonder if I will get seasick in vr mode haha. That's half the reason I haven't got a vr setup yet, I played oculus at a friends and got dizzy real fast. I have the graphics card for it now too.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

I wonder if I will get seasick in vr mode haha. That's half the reason I haven't got a vr setup yet, I played oculus at a friends and got dizzy real fast. I have the graphics card for it now too.

VR sickness goes away pretty quickly. Just take a break as soon as you start to feel nauseous and let it pass. Soon enough you'll become immune to it and able to take anything in VR.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Lozareth posted:

VR sickness goes away pretty quickly. Just take a break as soon as you start to feel nauseous and let it pass. Soon enough you'll become immune to it and able to take anything in VR.

Yep. I was sick for almost 2 days from playing Star Wars Squadrons when it launched and now I dont feel a thing in any VR game no mater what Im doing.

I want to play this in VR but Id probably have to start a new seed. I tried it to walk around our massive towns but it was unplayable in VR barely hitting like 10fps.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

This may have been obvious to other people, but at the mistlands mining sites, if you break the ward statue, you can dig past the ground level and get another 50% of the good bits that are hidden.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

AccountSupervisor posted:

Yep. I was sick for almost 2 days from playing Star Wars Squadrons when it launched and now I dont feel a thing in any VR game no mater what Im doing.

I want to play this in VR but Id probably have to start a new seed. I tried it to walk around our massive towns but it was unplayable in VR barely hitting like 10fps.

Just my 2c but I'd love to see your VR-centric posts in this thread. Even if I don't ever play VR stuff I think it would be cool to see posts on it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
VR blocking and parrying felt really inconsistent until I realized that blocking or parrying melee attacks had nothing to do with the weapon models, just whether the shield was between your body position and the enemy's body position.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

It took me forever to get the hang of parrying until I realized your shield (it only works with shields in VR still) just had to be in motion at the right time and I started wiggling my shield a bit back and forth as the attack animation started.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The two things in VR that still lurch my stomach in random directions are rapid massive camera rotations (picking up the phones in the RE7 VR mod) and the crouching segments in HL: Alyx where my head might pop through a wall or ceiling and spaz the camera out.

Because of both I haven't finished either game.

But surely Valheim will be fine and I can go billy goat up a mountain and jump off without my brain panicking :sweatdrop:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Besides variation in wind speed, what controls how fast windmills produce grain? I'm building on a hillside and trying to see how high/far I need to build the windmill from things for maximum speed. I'm probably not making two just because of how I think that'll look, but still curious.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, I discovered flax. An endless amount of farming and dead goblins later, I ate some bread, sausages, and pie, drank a potion, invoked Bonemass, and thrashed the poo poo out of Yagluth. That was easier than I expected. I… may have adequately prepared for once.

Off to the mists, I suppose.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Besides variation in wind speed, what controls how fast windmills produce grain? I'm building on a hillside and trying to see how high/far I need to build the windmill from things for maximum speed. I'm probably not making two just because of how I think that'll look, but still curious.

It's the same coverage computation for players being inside. Rays traced vertically, along the horizontal plane, and at a 45 degree upward angle. Measured from the top of the windmill.

So as long as it's on a hill it'll work as hard as the wind is blowing.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Mists initial trip report: oww gently caress

I’ve bootstrapped myself up to a mortar and pestle. To my surprise, a mortar and pestle is a key tool for making roast meat platters.

I appear to be fighting the zerg? and someone left a brood lord on patrol on the peninsula next to my house?? At least it seems nonplussed by the idea of randomly wrecking my stuff.

Everything I can kill seems to drop some sort of material that I can’t do anything with yet. Maybe I just need to find the right thing to mine. Having a ready source of iron would be great if I hadn’t cleared out three crypts right before killing Yag.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny

rjmccall posted:

Mists initial trip report: oww gently caress

I’ve bootstrapped myself up to a mortar and pestle. To my surprise, a mortar and pestle is a key tool for making roast meat platters.

I appear to be fighting the zerg? and someone left a brood lord on patrol on the peninsula next to my house?? At least it seems nonplussed by the idea of randomly wrecking my stuff.

Everything I can kill seems to drop some sort of material that I can’t do anything with yet. Maybe I just need to find the right thing to mine. Having a ready source of iron would be great if I hadn’t cleared out three crypts right before killing Yag.

Keep your eyes peeled. There's an alternate source of iron in the mistlands.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Eels posted:

Keep your eyes peeled. There's an alternate source of iron in the mistlands.

Yeah, sorry, that was the context of that. First thing I did my shiny new pickaxe was hit some rusting metal with it. Second was to get disappointed because I already had like ten stacks of iron at home. Third was to hit a bone and die of message overload.

This game has taught be to be terrified at times like this of two things: first, that I’ve overlooked that I can smelt iron with blood clots to make blutmetall, which is bright red and the key ingredient in making wine goblets; the second is that I will need to smelt iron ore and so everything I’ve already got is wasted.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

rjmccall posted:

I can smelt iron with blood clots to make blutmetall, which is bright red and the key ingredient in making wine goblets

uh what?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Got a question about tar. So I decided I thought the tar looked cool and kind of like a mud pit for my eventual lox farm. So, I raised some earth walls in a big circle around it and buried a few wards in the walls to prevent spawns (after I farmed the growths for a shitton of tar for my greathall). Problem is, now there are quite a few times that are actually really far from the tarpit that I can't actually pick up because they are "stuck in the tar". One is a fenris claw from a broken floor brazier and it's at least 16m away horizontally and 4ish m away vertically that never came close to the pit. I'm worried because I built a windmill about that far away as well and would hate for all the product to get stuck despite being nowhere near.

Any ideas on how to fix, ideally while keeping the tar pit as-is? Or am I just going to have to drain the thing completely?

E: if I have to get rid of the pit I will, and just see about partially burying a hot tub so it looks like a pool.

You can sink things like blast furnaces and charcoal kilns surprisingly far into walls if you build the walls into the item after placing it instead of the wall first, as I found. Makes it nicer looking imo, not to mention more space is nice when kilns take up so much. Hoping to do something similar with the pool.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 13, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

I mean that I’m always worried that I overlooked some basic thing that I can already do with the stuff I found because it’s a nondescript entry in a long list.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lol ok I was like Jesus, I can't believe I somehow missed that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Haha, that would be very like this game

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lol ok I was like Jesus, I can't believe I somehow missed that

I legit spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to load clots into the furnace just now.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I do wish there were more things to do with the clots, they're piling up a bit. Also I thought I hated deathsquitos but ticks have become my absolutely most loathed enemy. Died twice to them while trying to retrieve my body the other day, when you have no armor and two of them just latch on your health just evaporates, even with top tier food.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Carry a sledge at all times. Best anti-tick weapon

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Can anyone recommend mods to cut down on tedium and make the game easier for very casual players? My family and I are wrapping up Grounded and looking at Valheim next. Our skills levels range from heavy duty survival / fighter veterans to literally their second game ever.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Base game Valheim is way, way less tedious than Grounded could ever hope to be.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

oh is grounded not good? it looked cool. my valheim group was going to play it. but we've been playing mechwarrior and AOE2 a lot instead

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Grounded was excellent. I don't have much stomach for building or survival mechanics, so I went into Grounded ready to hate it. But the exploration, plot, and combat was good enough to make even my grumpy rear end deal with survival / building. I kinda doubt Valheim will be as... able to overcome that (from the few hours I played back at launch).

god do I hate collecting a hundred pig iron or whatever

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Grounded as a curated experience with a friend is absolutely phenomenal. It's a finished game, whereas Valheim is not.

My biggest complaint with Grounded is the menus are a bit clunky, and some important things aren't communicated to the player.

There's way less grind in Grounded as well.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

oh is grounded not good? it looked cool.

It is definitely cool, but

Trivia posted:

There's way less grind in Grounded as well.

This makes no sense to me, unless you never did any significant building.

Valheim is much more of a sandbox game. It's entirely self-directed exploration and building, with the only sort of plot goals being to eliminate bosses. Grounded has an actual plot, but the sandbox elements of creative construction are just vastly less satisfying.

You can do a lot of grinding in Valheim, but you can also just wear troll armor with a good shield up through the mountain biome. You don't HAVE to gather hundreds and hundreds of iron or whatever, and collecting the resources to make a fantastic house or castle is relatively quick and natural. If you want to make a cool looking base in Grounded, be prepared for dozens of trips hauling weed stems from every corner of the map. The potential for monumental construction isn't really there, either, and it really isn't encouraged or incentivized. The map is cool, but it never really feels like Valheim, where you eventually take over space and truly make it your own.

The combat is mechanically the same in both games. In some ways the combat in Grounded feels more frightening, because the spiders are loving horrific and huge, but I've seen people have similar reactions to trolls and wraiths in Valheim. Grounded is great, but I've got 70 hours in Grounded and over 300 in Valheim. I still play Valheim, but I don't really have the urge to revisit Grounded.

They're just very different games, I guess, but the thing that gives Valheim longevity (terraforming and base building) is insanely tedious and unsatisfying in Grounded. Still, if you're looking for plot rather than sandbox, Grounded is the superior game. Grounded also has a great vibe. The atmosphere of the yard at night is really uniquely terrifying.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 15, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

Can anyone recommend mods to cut down on tedium and make the game easier for very casual players? My family and I are wrapping up Grounded and looking at Valheim next. Our skills levels range from heavy duty survival / fighter veterans to literally their second game ever.

So Valheim+ is the obvious first place to start. In addition to stuff like "craft from nearby containers", "deposit into appropriate containers after crafting" and "lit objects don't consume fuel" which cuts down on a lot of tedium, you can also change skill gain rates, skill loss on death rates, stamina loss, and food degradation.

Also important for reducing grind if that is important, you can also tweak drop rates for iron or how much of a gathered item you pick up (ie, you pick up a mushroom and can change how many mushrooms you get from each "pick") or how much wood/metal/stone you get from harvesting.

E: and change both the capacity of items like kilns and furnaces as well as the production rate of those types of buildings too. Tired of coming home with 40 iron scraps and having to babysit the furnace to get them all processed? No worries, now you can dump them all in at once and have them produced however fast you want!

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 15, 2023

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

litany of gulps posted:

It is definitely cool, but

This makes no sense to me, unless you never did any significant building.

Valheim is much more of a sandbox game. It's entirely self-directed exploration and building, with the only sort of plot goals being to eliminate bosses. Grounded has an actual plot, but the sandbox elements of creative construction are just vastly less satisfying.

You can do a lot of grinding in Valheim, but you can also just wear troll armor with a good shield up through the mountain biome. You don't HAVE to gather hundreds and hundreds of iron or whatever, and collecting the resources to make a fantastic house or castle is relatively quick and natural. If you want to make a cool looking base in Grounded, be prepared for dozens of trips hauling weed stems from every corner of the map. The potential for monumental construction isn't really there, either, and it really isn't encouraged or incentivized. The map is cool, but it never really feels like Valheim, where you eventually take over space and truly make it your own.

The combat is mechanically the same in both games. In some ways the combat in Grounded feels more frightening, because the spiders are loving horrific and huge, but I've seen people have similar reactions to trolls and wraiths in Valheim. Grounded is great, but I've got 70 hours in Grounded and over 300 in Valheim. I still play Valheim, but I don't really have the urge to revisit Grounded.

They're just very different games, I guess, but the thing that gives Valheim longevity (terraforming and base building) is insanely tedious and unsatisfying in Grounded. Still, if you're looking for plot rather than sandbox, Grounded is the superior game. Grounded also has a great vibe. The atmosphere of the yard at night is really uniquely terrifying.

I don't disagree with anything you've said really. I didn't do a lot of base building in Grounded because we (correctly) judged it was unnecessary. As such the grind for resources was pretty minimal.

And yes, I don't think I'd really revisit Grounded, just because it is a curated experience and not procedural.

Valheim is super grindy for a lot of things, and I really wish the game would balance pass and distill out the fun. Grounded has systems (such as build from chest and auto stack to chest) that help reduce grind in some ways for sure. Valheim really needs to add things like that to the vanilla experience.

All survival games really need items or systems that increase yields to basic building supplies to cut down on unnecessary, tedious grind.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Trivia posted:

I don't disagree with anything you've said really. I didn't do a lot of base building in Grounded because we (correctly) judged it was unnecessary. As such the grind for resources was pretty minimal.

Honestly, with a bit of self reflection, I think I have a skewed perspective here too. I started playing Grounded almost a year before Valheim was released. The very early Grounded early access was a lot more incomplete than the Valheim early access, but Grounded has also progressed far beyond where it was in that state, while Valheim is mostly static. Every Grounded patch was new content, while every Valheim patch is basically nothing. They're just such different games. If you loved Kenshi, you'll love Valheim, but you'll be disappointed by the extent that you can go with Grounded. They're not really even in the same genre, despite their similarities.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I could not figure out or get into kenshi but I liked the aesthetic. Maybe I should give it another shot

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

I could not figure out or get into kenshi but I liked the aesthetic. Maybe I should give it another shot

Kenshi was just something weird and wonderful. Zoom in to make it a 3rd person game rather than the default sort of RTS perspective. Post in the dead Kenshi thread for advice on how to get a start that isn't just something you're going to bounce off of. I've got 600 hours in Kenshi, and I think it's the greatest sandbox game ever made. Valheim is so much more accessible, but Kenshi was just special. Kenshi has a plot, but it makes sure that you don't really get to feel like a part of it until you dig deep and really establish yourself. Do you want to be a solo warrior or a mercenary warlord or a businessman or a miner/drifter? Go for it!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
New dev blog showing off a new monster, hats with hair, and teasing the upcoming new NPC

https://valheim.com/news/development-blog-hold-on-to-your-hats/

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How the gently caress do atgiers work? Currently trying the blackmetal one with the fenris set for maximum ability to play keepaway and I'm still getting wrecked compared to shield/frostner/fangspear. Got an attacking horde event and figured that was the place to try it with the AoE attack and nope.

I'm glad to see that since I last played they made them only slow you by 5% instead of 10.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Atgeirs are wonderful in that they offer great single target damage output with a long reach, and have the AoE attack with an interrupt. In Hunted or Horde you use the AoE attack to stun nearby enemies and then maneuver; maneuvering is survivability and the attack will grind down your attackers.

E: plus you run slightly faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

pik_d posted:

New dev blog showing off a new monster, hats with hair, and teasing the upcoming new NPC

https://valheim.com/news/development-blog-hold-on-to-your-hats/

Plus, difficulty modes!!

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 15, 2023