Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gtrmp posted:

is Columbo dual- or triple-classed
Columbo is a prestige class with strict RP requirements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The naughty paladin is the demonologist/devil summoner/antipaladin, except.that if they're only as naughty as a rogue, they're really just Friar Tuck or something.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Splicer posted:

Columbo is a prestige class with strict RP requirements
His patron is his wife who gives him inspiration on insight checks.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Leperflesh posted:

The naughty paladin is the demonologist/devil summoner/antipaladin, except.that if they're only as naughty as a rogue, they're really just Friar Tuck or something.

Quietly adding a tavern to my current game called The Naughty Paladin

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

really the naughty rogue is an assassin, if we're going full on naughtiness=evil, but then rogue and fighter are both 000. Which... yeah, probably. Or maybe a rogue is like, 00˝

the third bit is quantum, you have to measure the character in some kind of fantasy trolley problem to collapse the wave function

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

moths posted:

Suits inevitably make stupid decisions about somebody else making (what they think should be) their money.

GW and Chapterhouse, Privateer Press and their Chinese manufacturers, White Wolf/MET and the LARP circuit, and now WotC and the entire peripheral D&D industry.
I never heard of this one, where can I read more?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nystral posted:

The Warmahordes thread, although I couldn't tell you what page to start on. The super-short version is that Privateer Press went off half-cocked on trying to print their own miniatures instead of outsourcing, using equipment that wasn't really designed to be used at industrial scale, and it's caused a bunch of largely self-inflicted problems.

There are also rumors that this was motivated by them sending the only existing molds of some of their older models overseas, which the manufacturing company then withheld from them following some financial dispute, but I don't know how credible that part is.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gtrmp posted:

is Columbo dual- or triple-classed

Columbo is all class.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Jimbozig posted:

I don't know, but that just got me started thinking about a silly little idea: 3-bit classes.

Your stats are magical/godly/naughty, and they are 1 or 0.

000 = fighter
001 = thief
010 = paladin
011 = ???
100 = wizard
101 = witch/warlock
110 = cleric
111 = necromancer?

What is 011?

Make it ternary and 4-bit and this is basically how monsterhearts skins are created.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nystral posted:

I've heard it word of mouth, but Warmachine jacks started showing up as cheap gas station toys.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warmachine...nt=share_button

https://www.reddit.com/user/geergut...nt=share_button

According to PP, Chinese manufacturers stole the molds. Another version is that there was a pay dispute and they kept the molds.

Either way PP has moved production to an in-house 3D printing model and discontinued all production of the rest of the range.

If someone knows more about it, I'd love to get the whole story.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

MinistryofLard posted:

Make it ternary and 4-bit and this is basically how monsterhearts skins are created.
Making it 4-bit with D&D gets fraught because the obvious source of more traditional classes is "nature" which gets you barbarians and druids and shamans and all that fun stuff... and then you have to make up new things to fill out the grid and you start realizing that taking classes and making them "less civilized" actually feels kinda gross. You start feeling like you've got on jodhpurs and a pith helmet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

disposablewords posted:

So tell me more about your tabletop adaptation of the Yakuza games.

Man, I wish.

A job system really works best when you go all-in on very specific gimmicks.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

disposablewords posted:

Ettin's working on that one.
https://ettin.itch.io/sukeban-dracula

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

Making it 4-bit with D&D gets fraught because the obvious source of more traditional classes is "nature" which gets you barbarians and druids and shamans and all that fun stuff... and then you have to make up new things to fill out the grid and you start realizing that taking classes and making them "less civilized" actually feels kinda gross. You start feeling like you've got on jodhpurs and a pith helmet.
One way to make nature as a source less gross if you treat it like a pact or mana source. A Druid is just a Warlock who has Plants & Stuff as their patron. A Barbarian isn't a Primitive Fighter, it's a Plains Gish. It's not about civilisation it's about location. There's no point training to be a nature wizard in a city, but training to be a Druid when you live in or near the mana font that is a giant old growth forest is just common sense.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 13, 2023

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
there's also, uh

crystals

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
SLAMMING TABLE

WINE MOM DRUID. WINE MOM DRUID!

E: Oh honey, you look so rotten, here have some milkthistle and goose berry it'll heal you right up.

but ma, it's an arrow wound to the gut.

Oh that just needs some feldspar and a good berry.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Boba Pearl posted:

SLAMMING TABLE

WINE MOM DRUID. WINE MOM DRUID!

E: Oh honey, you look so rotten, here have some milkthistle and goose berry it'll heal you right up.

but ma, it's an arrow wound to the gut.

Oh that just needs some feldspar and a good berry.

With Karen as a prestige class (evil alignments only)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

With Karen as a prestige class (evil alignments only)

Power Word: Let Me Speak To Your Manager

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Karen Cleric
Wine Mom Druid
Cougar Wizard

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Karen Cleric
Wine Mom Druid
Cougar Wizard

Dadadin

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

and their mortal enemies, the Duchampions

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Well now I want to go through the old goldmined Dungeons and Douchebags thread again.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473646&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

disposablewords posted:

It's an AGON drift called Baka Mitai that operates on the conceit that the random sidequest people who do run-ins for you later are the local equivalent of divine intervention. What more would you like to know? (Not actually my tabletop adaptation but I'd totally give it a spin. AGON rules sold separately.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Do you think rations grow on trees? Half of one every day will keep you from getting starvation penalties, there's no mechanical reason to have more."
"I don't care if you're out of spell slots. If we don't wait to make camp it'll take a third day to reach the dungeon and that throws my whole itinerary out of whack."
"Of course you want healing. You're not the one who has to pay the tithes to Pelor every month."

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
All this but unironically. I'd love to see more adventurers who have families. I included one in my example text in Strike!, Karen the barbarian mom, who has "mom-voice" as one of her skills.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kobold Press's "Black Flag" playtest just dropped if anyone signed up for that. Reading through it right now, it's just the character creation rules so far and lots of it is very 5e, but some of the talents (feats) are interesting. Not really enough there to do more than roll a simple character though.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
wine mom druid, but reskin all her heals to be apple cider vinegar.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Lamuella posted:

Kobold Press's "Black Flag" playtest just dropped if anyone signed up for that. Reading through it right now, it's just the character creation rules so far and lots of it is very 5e, but some of the talents (feats) are interesting. Not really enough there to do more than roll a simple character though.

Any of those options jumping out at you? It feels pretty familiar/safe so far, though some (Polyglot) seem kinda nuts.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Paladad, surely?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The Bee posted:

Any of those options jumping out at you? It feels pretty familiar/safe so far, though some (Polyglot) seem kinda nuts.

Combat Casting is basically reskinned Warcaster, but I actually quite like the tweaks. No roll at all if the con DC on a concentration spell is less than your spellcasting DC is pretty good for lower levels, and worth the nerfing of opportunity attacks and removing the advantage above that.

Elemental Savant moves elemental adept from being a semi-crap feat to having decent mechanical advantage.

And there's some fun character build stuff you could do around Polyglot.

Nothing earthshattering but some nuances that could end up being more than just "it's not 5e because we tweaked these 2 rules"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Paladad, surely?

"Hi, Pal" - A Dad

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Paladad, surely?

Papaladin

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Padré

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Papashan.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Lamuella posted:

Does it have fun stuff for martials to do?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lumbermouth posted:

Does it have fun stuff for martials to do?

Thus far pretty straightforward. But it's very much basics, without classes defined yet.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Lamuella posted:

Combat Casting is basically reskinned Warcaster, but I actually quite like the tweaks. No roll at all if the con DC on a concentration spell is less than your spellcasting DC is pretty good for lower levels, and worth the nerfing of opportunity attacks and removing the advantage above that.

Elemental Savant moves elemental adept from being a semi-crap feat to having decent mechanical advantage.

And there's some fun character build stuff you could do around Polyglot.

Nothing earthshattering but some nuances that could end up being more than just "it's not 5e because we tweaked these 2 rules"

Polyglot and the Cosmopolitan heritage definitely feel fun and forward thinking. They stand out a lot in a good way, I feel.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Jimbozig posted:

"Primal" and "psionic" are the same power source but with a different emphasis: one draws from the essence of the world around you and the other draws directly from your own essence. The primal power source eats psionics to expand the Barbarian/Druid cultural baggage with more of an Avatar: The Last Airbender vibe. (If nothing else, psionics has always been an awkward fit into the game that's only stuck around out of deference to tradition, so I'm all in favor of eliminating it outright by folding what little of it remains conceptually coherent in a fantasy game into the primal power source.)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The Rogue/Paladin crossover.

The PayPal-adin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

YES