Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It seems like Dan Olson's quest to study the various memestock subreddits has officially marked him as a sucker to the ad algorithms.

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1624838358915760148

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Best shrimp I ever ate was sold by the dude with the shrimp truck on the side of the highest halfway between Seward and Anchorage. He catches the shrimp in the morning, drives half hour up the road, parks in a pullout, and sells it.

This article has a picture of the dingy rear end shrimp truck! I don't know how to plagiarize a photo while phone posting so you'll have to click if you're interested in dingy shrimp trucks.

https://www.alaskastar.com/2017-06-08/traveling-seafood-salesman-casts-far-and-wide-customers

\/\/ nice

BigHead fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 12, 2023

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
self post ahead:

doing taxes. Always fill out everything just to be sure, but the standard deduction ensures it's a total waste of time.

Checked how much we paid for property taxes on our cars last year:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ham Equity posted:

Just FYI, say whatever you want about most street foods, but I will accept no denigration of street tamales, whether being sold out of the side of a minivan, or by the people who come by offices to take orders in the morning and then bring the tamales in the afternoon.

Underground tamale sellers deserve their own patron saint, you can literally just choose any one of them for canonization, it's fine.

My neighbor sells them. Having tamales on tap is dangerous though. She has her husband or kids take the order most of the time. She does charge more than the moms where my wife works but I’d rather pay a little extra and maintain good neighborly relations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
We used to have a torta guy at a bar I used to frequent in Chicago. Around 2am, he would poke his head in the door and wave (they didn't allow him to sell inside), word would pass around that the torta guy was there, and all the drunk people would file out and get $5 tortas sold out of a cooler.
They were good too.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Just FYI, say whatever you want about most street foods, but I will accept no denigration of street tamales, whether being sold out of the side of a minivan, or by the people who come by offices to take orders in the morning and then bring the tamales in the afternoon.

Underground tamale sellers deserve their own patron saint, you can literally just choose any one of them for canonization, it's fine.

Just bought my commemorative Tamale Lady hoodie last week, RIP to a SF legend

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Silly Newbie posted:

We used to have a torta guy at a bar I used to frequent in Chicago. Around 2am, he would poke his head in the door and wave (they didn't allow him to sell inside), word would pass around that the torta guy was there, and all the drunk people would file out and get $5 tortas sold out of a cooler.
They were good too.

I never heard about the torta guy, but chicago has tamale guys who do the same thing.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

DaveSauce posted:

self post ahead:

doing taxes. Always fill out everything just to be sure, but the standard deduction ensures it's a total waste of time.

Niiiiiice

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I had a tamale lady her in Philadelphia who’d sit on a stoop in the Italian market and sell her pork and chicken tamales out of a big pot. I miss those

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

greazeball posted:

I was asking around the farmer's market in Dublin for organic/free-range sausages once and couldn't find any until one of the guys working there tracked me down when his boss wasn't around. He told me he had some hogs he had been raising on scraps from the market he was going to butcher soon. He wasn't technically allowed to sell them because only certain food pellets were approved feed by the agricultural ministry or whatever. I said sure and then he only got maybe 5 other people to buy in too. We had sausages for days and then 2 weeks later got an absolute pile of rashers. Excellent decision, will not hesitate to buy street meat again in the future for sure.

This is the situation I'm in, I hunt and keep bees but to sell anything from either requires a commercial kitchen license plus regular inspection which cost way too much for the volume I do.

So now I provide meat under the table and honey for those looking for some sweetness.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

carrionman posted:

I hunt and keep bees

I misread this in the funniest way.

as in "I hunt [bees] and keep [bees]"

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I didn't think to read it any other way until you posted this.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

greazeball posted:

I was asking around the farmer's market in Dublin for organic/free-range sausages once and couldn't find any until one of the guys working there tracked me down when his boss wasn't around. He told me he had some hogs he had been raising on scraps from the market he was going to butcher soon. He wasn't technically allowed to sell them because only certain food pellets were approved feed by the agricultural ministry or whatever. I said sure and then he only got maybe 5 other people to buy in too. We had sausages for days and then 2 weeks later got an absolute pile of rashers. Excellent decision, will not hesitate to buy street meat again in the future for sure.

greazeball posted:

Just bought my commemorative Tamale Lady hoodie last week, RIP to a SF legend

okay so i thought initially you were talking about Dublin Ireland, and I was going to comment that I thought rashers meant some kind of sickness and then I looked up rashers and I had never heard that being used when I lived there.. and then now seems like you're living in SFBA so I'm confused if you were talking about Dublin CA all along and maybe you're just an Irishmen living in SFBA...

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Scratch Monkey posted:

I had a tamale lady her in Philadelphia who’d sit on a stoop in the Italian market and sell her pork and chicken tamales out of a big pot. I miss those

There's a Bodega in my neighborhood in Brooklyn that sells homemade tamales on the weekends and they're so loving good. They also have a selection of imported Mexican junk food. A homemade tamale and random Mexican corn puff snacks are an A+ weekend brunch. until the diabetes anyway.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

okay so i thought initially you were talking about Dublin Ireland, and I was going to comment that I thought rashers meant some kind of sickness and then I looked up rashers and I had never heard that being used when I lived there.. and then now seems like you're living in SFBA so I'm confused if you were talking about Dublin CA all along and maybe you're just an Irishmen living in SFBA...

Yeah I guess that's odd

SF, CA 1995-2003
Dublin, IE 2003-2008

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

DaveSauce posted:

self post ahead:

Hahahahaha the weed-sex number! Never gets old.

:regd08:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh that makes a lot more sense yes.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Here in NC there are a ton of guys who buy fresh shrimp and other seafood off the boats and run them inland to sell at farmers markets or on random street corners.

They’re pretty decent. Probably not as good as New Orleans street shrimp though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

therobit posted:

My neighbor sells them. Having tamales on tap is dangerous though. She has her husband or kids take the order most of the time. She does charge more than the moms where my wife works but I’d rather pay a little extra and maintain good neighborly relations.

The only thing I miss from when I lived in Austin was the guy who showed up to the office at 8am every morning with a pickup truck full of breakfast tacos his wife had just made

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

PurpleXVI posted:

Who the gently caress just buys raw meat off a dude on the street? Is anyone really that hard up for a hamburger?

It's not like this is anything new. A whole section of Roger & Me was the lady who butchered rabbits to sell as food, or if you really wanted, for pets.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Vice President posted:

It's not like this is anything new. A whole section of Roger & Me was the lady who butchered rabbits to sell as food, or if you really wanted, for pets.

Sellin stolen meat, huh? Wanna buy some trout?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q9LvBUCgsI

Content: when I lived in South Korea 20 years ago there were always trucks driving around with a loudspeaker and a dude monotonously speaking, it took me like a month to find out they were selling stuff from the back of the van. Grapes, rotisserie chickens, apples, it was a scene

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Saw a loudspeaker van in Madrid, selling mobile knife/scissor/tool sharpening.
Don't run with scissors though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

In my neighborhood in Japan it was laundry drying poles and roasted sweet potatoes

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I loved watching the Ape’s with loudspeakers drive around in Southern Italy and seeing the old ladies come out on their balconies, drop down their baskets, and haul up whatever was being sold. It’s a remarkably efficient system.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

canyoneer posted:

China has these, too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The classic:
https://youtu.be/vRGMAW1wzQ8

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

China has these, too

Long Island NY has these also. The ice cream truck was banned in the town I lived in, but the knife+scissor sharpening truck was A-OK by the elderly shits who voted on everything.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

In my neighborhood in Japan it was laundry drying poles and roasted sweet potatoes

In mine it was just sweet potatoes and political candidates.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

therobit posted:

I had tofu in one neighbourhood, though they used a three-tone whistle instead of a loudspeaker.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

therobit posted:

Ah, you buy em wholesale? I guess that isn't too different from American politicians.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's teddy belt day how is bby doing?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Do you mean BBBY?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Sundae posted:

Do you mean BBBY?

Oh man, they're really trying to trick me into selling so I can't short squeeze them! I better take out a 2nd mortgage and buy another 400K shares.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nice way to go. There was a teddy book page with a heart on it so surely tomorrow is the day!!!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

canyoneer posted:

but the van is driving away and they are dull anyway.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

tater_salad posted:

how is bbby formed

how guy get bnakruptt

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Weatherman posted:

I had tofu in one neighbourhood, though they used a three-tone whistle instead of a loudspeaker.

Where we were it was a loudspeaker plus a very weird sounding recording of some kind of tinny horn. I tried for like half an hour to locate it on YouTube but I think the outskirts of Daisen-shi, Akita-Ken are rural enough that there just really isn’t anyone who has thought to record it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Weatherman posted:

how is bbby formed

how guy get bnakruptt

God:drat:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I never heard about the torta guy, but chicago has tamale guys who do the same thing.

So, it turns out all those guys and gals know each other, and are incredibly protective of turf. They have it all mapped out, and no one goes into anyone else's territory. Torta guy was down by Exit pre-pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Partly Legal Advice/Partly Relationship Advice - my child is being paid to spread propaganda for the Russian and Chinese governments.

quote:

My 17 year old child has been appearing on Russian and Chinese media outlets as a contributor, and has also been producing TikTok content.

This content has included outright misinformation, disinformation, lies, and falsehoods about what is happening in Ukraine, the status of Taiwan, and other current events.

My child has been receiving payments for doing this. So far I have confiscated their laptop and phone, but I need advice on what laws have been broken. We are located in the USA, but also periodically travel to the UK where my wife lives.

quote:

They are receiving payments from a "Zhaoxuan Chen" who regularly sends them lines to take by email, along with instructions.

Russia Today has paid them after they have made appearances.

The disinformation includes things such as there being secret Western biolabs in Ukraine. That the 2019 Ukrainain election was rigged by the West.

I genuinely can't tell to what degree my child believes what they are reading. They do seem to be somewhat indoctrinated into the misinformation.

Not 100% sure this belongs here, but taking money from foreign sources to parrot talking points on social media seems incredibly BWM to me.