Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FMguru posted:

It's the other way around - the more they tie themselves to right-wing ideologies and political causes, the more people (especially young people) walk away from them.

This. I should, demographically speaking, be a conservative Christian. If I were born 20-30 years earlier, I probably would be. But the thing is, Christianity has tied itself so much into hating things that I enjoy (the Satanic Panic bullshit was one of my first experiences with how stupid the whole thing was), and people that I respect, that I don't identify as Christian anymore. A lot of the teachings of Christianity are fantastic, especially those about loving thy neighbor and keeping your religion private, but American Protestants just poo poo all over them at every single loving turn by siding with right-wing ideologues.

There's a quote that floats around, something to the effect of "I like your Christ, but not your Christianity." It or things like it are attributed to Gandhi, but apparently there's no good source for that. I found an article that "rebukes" the quote and it encapsulates every single thing wrong with Christianity: https://www.christianity.com/bible/gandhi-doesnt-like-us-11668745.html. It's hilarious just how badly the author misses the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

mllaneza posted:

The first presidential ad has dropped.

https://twitter.com/AdImpact_Pol/status/1624948732453351425

The guy is also hawking his book, which comes with a forward by Dr. Arthur Laffer

This aired only in Iowa (GOP is still planning to have their first primary here), and everyone at my Super Bowl party was going “what the gently caress is this” when this aired.

Also check out the slope of his forehead, real early hominid angles.

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 13, 2023

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

He must be a paleoconservative.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

as an american i identify with the fat guys talking about pie and not the caveman talking about numbers

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1625205016268050456?t=k-OWbzAiIy4HfzjhUjdfBA&s=19

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Goddamn, if ever there was a person who needed to jump up his own rear end in a top hat and disappear, it's Ted Cruz.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Why is he trying to dunk on an article from 3 years ago

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

Why is he trying to dunk on an article from 3 years ago

Here's the full image he was reacting to:

He was using the 3 year old article to try and dunk on an article written today. But as per his usual ailment of "being Ted Cruz", he missed the mark and splattered himself all over the basketball court floor without coming anywhere near the net at all.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

nine-gear crow posted:

He was using the 3 year old article to try and dunk on an article written today. But as per his usual ailment of "being Ted Cruz", he missed the mark and splattered himself all over the basketball court floor without coming anywhere near the ring at all.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Twitter cropping :argh:

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

He was using the 3 year old article to try and dunk on an article written today. But as per his usual ailment of "being Ted Cruz", he missed the mark and splattered himself all over the basketball court floor without coming anywhere near the net at all.

Unfortunately for all of us, his base is dumb enough that "different people at different times had different perspectives :smug:" works on them.

Dude knows drat well what he's doing.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

slitherchicken spoogistic

https://twitter.com/larryschweikart/status/1625183198690017281?s=46&t=m3-IvzwvaAvQ38_CtrwO6g

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Found my new screen name

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1625475801842954240?t=kyYF5c0CW-MxghUPbXFz0g&s=19

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Twitter handle checks out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Decon posted:

Unfortunately for all of us, his base is dumb enough that "different people at different times had different perspectives :smug:" works on them.

Dude knows drat well what he's doing.

Also the first headline and the second headline are not mutually exclusive gotchas like Rafael seems to think they are. Experts were saying at the time the lockdowns went into effect and schools were transitioned to remote learning, "this is probably going to lead to delayed academic development in a lot of kids, but it's better than the alternative which is going to be a fuckton of dead children, teachers, and family members of those children and teachers, so what do you want to do about it?"

Then again, we already know Ted Cruz's stance on piles of dead children and it's "Yes, more please! :mrgw:"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wait, NOW they care about the environment???

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

shoeberto posted:

Found my new screen name
made me look

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wait, NOW they care about the environment???

Nope. Just think it's an opportunity to dunk but didn't even bother checking Greta's Twitter

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

I guess Newsmax, OAN, and Fox are part of the "climate cult" because NOBODY has been speaking on the train derailment.

Spoiler alert, they also aren't talking about the SECOND one that just happened in Texas.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
This “no one is talking about the train derailment” gaslighting amazing. Like, it’s being talked about everyone knows it happened and it’s all over news media.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1625599476617322499

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I can see why Jen Psaki quit now. That would be the point where she would just push the podium over, walk into the press pit and just beat this guy's face in till it was the composition of raw hamburger meat.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Thats a Newsmax reporter asking the questions that matter.
Sadly she didnt just say yes and explain what being woke was and gave a long winded explanation.
They would have just manipulated it to just Yes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Murgos posted:

This “no one is talking about the train derailment” gaslighting amazing. Like, it’s being talked about everyone knows it happened and it’s all over news media.

yeah i was just about to ask about this. why exactly do they think the libs don't want to talk about this story?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah i was just about to ask about this. why exactly do they think the libs don't want to talk about this story?

They don't care/actually wanted it to happen because it happened to a red state.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 15, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

They don't care/actually wanted it to happen because it to a red state.

okay, there's like a teeny kernel of logic to that, but...wouldn't it make it EASIER for the 'climate cult' to try to wrangle support from red staters and thus increase their influence?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Twitter is not representative of the population at large and there are definitely weirdos on Twitter who only represent their own weird and bizarre viewpoints. That said, there have definitely been people on Twitter saying "Hey these idiot hicks say that deregulation is good and that the EPA shouldn't exist so they're just getting what they deserve! We should ignore them and not do a thing to help them because this is just the consequences of their desires!"

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Here's a right wing media outlet making a joke that doesn't involve pronouns (but the actual article is unfunny-and-trying and starts with a trigger warning joke like it's 2014 :()

https://mobile.twitter.com/FreeBeacon/status/1625617133542449156

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

okay, there's like a teeny kernel of logic to that, but...wouldn't it make it EASIER for the 'climate cult' to try to wrangle support from red staters and thus increase their influence?

There is no climate change. The climate cult exists not to save the planet, but to increase the control of the government, and specifically to increase the control of the government to allow the mass slaughter of white people so that the globalists can better rule the docile, insect-eating remnants.

Through that lens, the fact that there is ‘pollution’ or ‘environmental dangers’ in this is a meaningless lie, and the important part is that thousands, tens of thousands, maybe even millions of white rural Americans are dead in this test run attack that the liberal media won’t talk about.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Just pop over to USCE and see for yourself

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr Interweb posted:

According the radio yesterday, because Joe Biden is president and the media has an agenda or something. I'm serious.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

It's because right wingers need to feel like the scrappy underdogs, so "the mainstream media doesn't want you to know about this" is catnip for them, regardless of how immediately disprovable it is.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It would be cool if there was some program or bot that could scrape news reports about the subject whenever they make this claim.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dubar posted:

It's because right wingers need to feel like the scrappy underdogs, so "the mainstream media doesn't want you to know about this" is catnip for them, regardless of how immediately disprovable it is.

there's also this

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1625675988309868546?s=20&t=uiUew4r1WDaa5jAMrCV9rA

Which immediately reminded me of RWM poo pooing the idea that Hurricane Katrina victims were being ignored in New Orleans because they were black and poor.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Thats a new low even for Tucker.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

OgNar posted:

Thats a new low even for Tucker.

I mean...is it? New that is. It's been Tucker's White Power Hour for years now.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

there's also this

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1625675988309868546?s=20&t=uiUew4r1WDaa5jAMrCV9rA

Which immediately reminded me of RWM poo pooing the idea that Hurricane Katrina victims were being ignored in New Orleans because they were black and poor.

From what I understand there is no big FEMA response because Dewine has refused to allow FEMA to get involved.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
This is an example of pre emptive well poisoning by the right. Say "why don't climate activists care about this?" and everyone has to run defense to correct that statement. A similar tactic gets used during mass shootings with the race of the attacker. They'll initially state "watch the left just assume this was done by a white guy" and when that happens they'll get all smug that the left was wrong about it (they did this when the recent college shooting happened and it turned out the shooter was a black guy with a previous felony).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

This is an example of pre emptive well poisoning by the right. Say "why don't climate activists care about this?" and everyone has to run defense to correct that statement. A similar tactic gets used during mass shootings with the race of the attacker. They'll initially state "watch the left just assume this was done by a white guy" and when that happens they'll get all smug that the left was wrong about it (they did this when the recent college shooting happened and it turned out the shooter was a black guy with a previous felony).

Also all five cops being black in the murder of Tyre Nichols