Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
He's such a dickhead lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Phone posted:

what an absolute ball buster lmao

5/5 interview

yeah that was great, just keeping him on the phone was worth an award.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Phone posted:

5/5 interview

It really is! Goddamn Hersh is hard as gently caress.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
shoulda pushed him harder, he got balls of iron, lotta juice unpressed

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

thoroughly entertained by Hersh talking to whoever was at his house during the interview, wanna know more about the other Mark

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

hope hersh isn't to hard on ames when his doc drops lol

very much looking forward to watching it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

good interview but i imagine hersh is a bit of a grump and not really bothered about internet drama in his old age

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

hope hersh isn't to hard on ames when his doc drops lol

very much looking forward to watching it

a muckraking exposé shedding light on coward "journalist" ames' ukraine predictions. it's thirty seconds long and ends with "now get the gently caress out of my office"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

dude's earned his right to be a little cranky many times over

i was just going through some of his osama + syria interviews and found his first response to chris cuomo here hilarious ("thanks for coming on" hersh: "okay") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpzNgN5Jssc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i was just going through some of his osama + syria interviews and found his first response to chris cuomo here hilarious ("thanks for coming on" hersh: "okay") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpzNgN5Jssc

lmfao pro-click

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lol at Hersh ripping on John for not being retired.

"I need the money"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So was John never on the tenure track anywhere? I'm a bit baffled by the Wandering Contract Professor thing.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

So was John never on the tenure track anywhere? I'm a bit baffled by the Wandering Contract Professor thing.

What ever gave you the idea that he was tenure track?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
His longest academic stint was in New Zealand, so that's probably where he realized he wasn't going to get to the top of the mountain.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

What ever gave you the idea that he was tenure track?

I dunno, I thought he taught at uVic and that's a school that, where Canada goes, is pretty secure. I see now he was fired from there.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

good ep with ben aris but kinda laughing at his callousness of sanctions that if they had cut russia's gas and oil revenue there would be tumults, government would collapse, total chaos then they would make a deal

I'm not sure I understood this, because he implied that what would happen is Europe would keep the money, but gasprom would keep pumping the gas because 'laws'.

Seems to me they would just stop pumping gas and gently caress Europe up?

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

this is amazing, lmao

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
hersh is great, no bullshit, just shrugging and going "what do you think, man?"
what was hersh's relationship with mark, mark got his start with him or smth? he also mentioned a debt when logging off

fatelvis posted:

I'm not sure I understood this, because he implied that what would happen is Europe would keep the money, but gasprom would keep pumping the gas because 'laws'.

what i understood is cutting russia from their main external capital it would lead to basically societal breakdown

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Feb 13, 2023

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

hersh is great, no bullshit, just shrugging and going "what do you think, man?"

what i understood is cutting russia from their main external capital it would lead to basically societal breakdown

Yeah, but were they not saying earlier that cutting off gas to Europe would be a disaster for Europe.

I get that cutting off Russia's money could have the desired effect of their government collapsing. I just don't understand why he would think they would keep pumping the gas? Does anyone really think that Russia would give a poo poo about "look, we technically paid you, but the money is held in escrow and you can't have it because sanctions".

Maybe I misunderstood what he was getting at.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

fatelvis posted:

Yeah, but were they not saying earlier that cutting off gas to Europe would be a disaster for Europe.

I get that cutting off Russia's money could have the desired effect of their government collapsing. I just don't understand why he would think they would keep pumping the gas? Does anyone really think that Russia would give a poo poo about "look, we technically paid you, but the money is held in escrow and you can't have it because sanctions".

I guess that's what they ended up doing because the working notion, before the pipeline got bombed, was that they would eventually resume pumping gas, but yeah I dont see how that would hold in a scenario where they would hold all revenues hostage

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

fatelvis posted:

nah europe would've gotten hosed, the point is that it might've eliminated the russians' ability to fund the war and ended it before too much damage was done, which was ostensibly the objective of the economic war. we weren't willing to bite that particular bullet (for honestly pretty good reasons), but it meant that the economic war measures - even as harsh as they were on everyone involved - were just about manageable for everyone involved. so now we're in this weird long-term quasi-divestment posture wrt russia because they're too big to ignore and too connected to properly isolate without breaking globalisation.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I dunno, I thought he taught at uVic and that's a school that, where Canada goes, is pretty secure. I see now he was fired from there.

I have been listening to RWN for a while now and did not realize John was 67 years old. Or that he'd been fired for truth like 5 times now.

It speaks to him being a pretty decent guy that at that age and those circumstances he hasn't turned into a reactionary crank. I've heard him talk about being in Victoria / being poor around that time on the pod, but not the whining you'd expect from certain other losers if they'd been fired like that

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

John getting fired from uVic is one of the funniest war nerd adventures, he ends up spending all of their savings on a boat because his and his wifes rent is too expensive and they also have a dog somehow and they end up wintering on this unheated boat in the harbor with some local sea creatures and it nearly drives them insane. Wish I could find the articles but search engines are useless

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

the bitcoin of weed posted:

John getting fired from uVic is one of the funniest war nerd adventures, he ends up spending all of their savings on a boat because his and his wifes rent is too expensive and they also have a dog somehow and they end up wintering on this unheated boat in the harbor with some local sea creatures and it nearly drives them insane. Wish I could find the articles but search engines are useless

It used to be on Pando, but that all seems to be gone now. Only place left is here.

https://www.amazon.com/Canada-Was-Cakewalk-John-Dolan-ebook/dp/B00CL0KE94/ref=kwrp_li_stb_nodl?nodl_android=1

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
John is a font of humility and self introspection and I think this innoculates him from becoming a crank.

Mark, on the other hand, I thought he was going to end up with holes in his brain and spouting nonsense, instead Taibbi went down that path

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It doesn't hurt that I think they both said their right-wing reactionary phase happened coming out of living in California suburbs. Leaving there shook them out of it.

I think Mark's mellowed out a lot and still does decent journalism. If you fault them for anything it's believing that journalists can do better.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Getting fired from a university in Iraq to getting fired from a university in Kuwait to freezing nearly to death on a houseboat in Canada and then getting fired to getting run out of East Timor was quite the run of luck

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fatelvis posted:

yeah i stopped listening at this point. i really enjoyed ben's previous appearances when i knew nothing but now i'm re-examining his insight when he thinks that russia would just keep pumping gas without getting paid because CONTRACT LAW.

russia was supposed to be paid in western currencies but since their foreign reserves were seized they demanded the europeans pay into an account in their banks that would convert to rubles (which is how they kept the currency value up).

they were trolling the germans for months by not accepting repaired turbines for nordstream 1 because they'd be breaking sanctions. :roflolmao:

why do these dumbass lib euro journalists think russia would accept terms dictated by america's little bitches. does the interview get better? otherwise i'm skipping it for the hersh interview

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the Hersh interview was a great payoff to almost a year of Ames and Dolan being too shook to be critical about NATO propaganda

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Haven't heard the interview yet, but I remember Ames being taken aback when Hersh made a small but complimentary remark about him in his memoir, so for me thats an additional payoff.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
I didn’t realize that Dolan was fired from one of Canada’s Top Business schools. Did he say if it was for any reason or what?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Phone posted:

5/5 interview

lmao, even with hearing about how it was, i wasn't prepared for the Hersh

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

the bitcoin of weed posted:

https://exiledonline.com/living-with-cons-and-paupers-in-canadas-arctic-waters/

quote:

Editor’s Note: Dr. Dolan would like to thank the English Department of the University of Victoria, British Columbia, “…for getting rid of me because I dared to teach first-year comp students to disagree with the sanctimonious Monbiot articles they were assigned to paraphrase, thus allowing me to experience the sensual extravaganza of extreme poverty.”

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Haven't heard the interview yet, but I remember Ames being taken aback when Hersh made a small but complimentary remark about him in his memoir, so for me thats an additional payoff.

that's how mark scored the interview as told in the ep

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's wild that dolan didn't really get financially secure until he was sixty goddamned years old and somehow anticipated a new media explosion

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm not sure they really anticipated it so much as they kind of lucked into it that a guy who was just given a bunch of cash by the Zappos shoes CEO happened to like The Exile and hired them to write for his tech blog. And then the same guy had a weird idea of doing a call in radio show from his Vegas hotel room to raise more cash and had Mark and John on for segments.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i wonder if Paul Carr even realizes that the War Nerd podcast is still going

also I didn't realize Thiel was a Pando investor.

quote:

The company is being funded by a $2.5 million investment from some of the most well known investors in Silicon Valley and some of the top seed funds. Investors in PandoDaily are — Marc Andreessen, Peter Thiel, Tony Hseih (Zappos), Zach Nelson (NetSuite), Andrew Anker, Chris Dixon (FounderCollective), Saul Klein (IndexVentures), Josh Kopelman (First Round Capital) , Jeff Jordan (ex-CEO, Open Table) and Matt Cohler (ex-Facebook & Benchmark Capital) – who are all investing as individuals. The seed funds investing in the company include the CrunchFund, Greylock Discovery Fund, Accel’s Seed Fund, Menlo Ventures Talent Fund, Lerer Ventures, SV Angels and Ooga Labs.
https://old.gigaom.com/2012/01/16/sarah-lacys-pandodaily-launches-with-2-5-million-in-funding/

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

If you don't know Monbiot he's one of the Guardian columnists who was anti Corbyn and is now like "why does everything suck and young people hate politics"?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
RWN's interview of Hersh is filtering out to the right-wing, anti-Ukraine war internet.

This is from Larry Johson's blog. He's former CIA and has right-wing culture war brainworms, but he does provide an interesting insider view on current natsec fiascos. He's also friends with Hersh (and implied that he's been a source) and quotes Hersh's autobiography where he mentions Mark:

quote:

Let me start with the good news and then I will turn to the darker stuff. Sy decided to give an interview to the War Nerd podcast. War Nerd is Mark Ames. He is mentioned in Sy’s recent memoir. Sy did a terrific but unwelcome investigation on Gulf and Western. Sy writes, “I’ll let another voice discuss the outcome of our Gulf and Western work. Mark Ames, a freelance journalist who did much admirable work in Moscow, analyzed the G&W series and its impact in 2015 for an online journal. His finding was brutal, but pretty much on the mark.

“Hersh’s massive Gulf & Western exposé was…13,000 words long, in three parts, revealing a private labyrinth of corporate fraud, abuse, tax avoidance schemes, and mobbed-up malfeasance. And yet—in spite of all the pre-publication hype, the story landed with a whimper. Something Hersh wasn’t at all used to. For one thing, the article’s language was unusually cautious and dull for a Hersh scoop. As New York magazine quipped, [T]he general reaction has been a big yawn. [U]nlike Hersh’s stories going after the CIA and the military, the Times was far more afraid, and careful, of the consequences of taking on a powerful private company…and getting sued out of existence….[T]he Times saddled Hersh with a team of editors and lawyers to vet his reporting, sucking the life out of the piece until it was almost unreadable. Among other things, the Times cut out all the colorful anonymous quotes that made his muckraking bombshells on the CIA…such memorable reads.”
Excerpt From Reporter by Seymour M. Hersh

Ames support of Sy’s work on Gulf & Western earned him the following interview. If you’ve never heard an extended conversation with Sy, this is the genuine deal.

Pedant's note: The War Nerd is John, lol

https://sonar21.com/sy-hersh-speaks-and-nato-warns-of-escalation-in-the-war-in-ukraine/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
former cia, eh?