Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Of all the falls, I have the hardest time keeping my head off the mat in throws like Osoto Gari or Ouchi Gari - if they do them hard it's straight down and even if my chin starts tucked I still feel the back of my head bump the mat. Maybe I need more back bend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I remember first time being the recipient of a scissor takedown from a full standing position in prep for my black stripe test and the back of my melon just went SMACK into the wood floor. Hard. I thought I was prepared, but I just wasn't ready for the speed of the takedown and my head whipped back.

I remember looking at my blue sparring gloves immediately afterwards and thinking "Huh, that's strange, they're not supposed to be green." :haw:

We're actually bringing in a head injury expert to do a talk about concussions in a couple months. It's absolutely rife in tournaments. Most of our BBs who compete have had at least 1.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Of all the falls, I have the hardest time keeping my head off the mat in throws like Osoto Gari or Ouchi Gari - if they do them hard it's straight down and even if my chin starts tucked I still feel the back of my head bump the mat. Maybe I need more back bend?

I'd say that you should get thrown with either of those throws at a lower speed to get a feel for how to fall. We actually avoid doing Osoto with newer people if we can help it. I don't find that most versions of Ouchi put the head in danger.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
You don't really ever want to do a straight backfall, try to fall on your side more. Cushion your head with your bicep if needed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Specifically, twice in a row at a "scrimmage" between dojos I went for an ouchi but didn't control my opponents posture and got forced backwards and down in a counter. There was enough force to throw that my head hit the mat, and later that day I had a migraine and nausea - I took the next week off from any rolling, but it's something I don't want to repeat.

Edit - I'll try to land more on my side, thanks. I think a hard counter made it especially harsh because I was sort of surprised.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you're getting brutally countered it's probably more of a footwork thing than a posture control thing. Penetrate more and don't "reach" with your leg

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The actual tip my Sensei gave me afterwards was that I needed to get my head against his shoulder instead of standing straight up, so that may well have meant penetrating footwork instead of posture. Pfft, I still feel completely incompetent at Judo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

IF YOU KEEP LANDING ON YOUR ELBOW LIKE THAT YOU'LL gently caress UP YOUR SHOULDER
Yeah, the new students have this transitional phase from completely instinctual posting of the hands to trying to push down their elbows to actually landing butt/curled back first. But that elbow stage is ugly.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You don't really ever want to do a straight backfall, try to fall on your side more. Cushion your head with your bicep if needed.

Like reach up with your arm? Or tuck your head down to shoulder level?

In some sanshou instruction, I see the throwee turning and opening their arm up toward the mat and posting on it with bent elbow, so they can brace and roll into the fall a bit.

The initial post is bent enough that it'll get pushed back into their torso if the throw goes hard. They're expecting their body to roll into/behind the arm as opposed to away, where the shoulder would get locked/trapped. At least that's my rationale for it. If the throw really gets out of position, things could still go wrong.

A couple of examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p61JTVHiWQ&t=34s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SEusShELWc&t=239s

I can see the utility of it for drilling higher amplitude throws at slower speeds, but not sure I'll be teaching level 1 students that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Like reach up with your arm? Or tuck your head down to shoulder level?

Combination of both, you tuck but also have your arm out at least 90 degrees to slap out so that your shoulder/bicep is up by your ear. If you're landing with a lot of force you want your head to be bouncing off your arm instead of the ground

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 9, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

slidebite posted:

I remember first time being the recipient of a scissor takedown from a full standing position in prep for my black stripe test and the back of my melon just went SMACK into the wood floor. Hard. I thought I was prepared, but I just wasn't ready for the speed of the takedown and my head whipped back.

Why are you practicing takedowns on a wooden floor?!?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

slidebite posted:

ANYHOW, I thought it was an interesting exercise. You're not going to give confidence or force an introvert to be comfortable to open up in 10 minutes but it will be interesting to see if doing things like this periodically opens them up a bit more.

I like this. At my first gym, there were only a couple of women, but all of us rolled with every other person in the gym, regardless of gender or skill level. Then there was a bit of a shake up, and I ended up on the other team in town. There, the coaches regularly split us into gendered groups, and I only got to roll with the other two women who regularly showed up. My development stagnated, and I ended up taking time off after an injury and never went back.

Re: concussion talk, I was doing BJJ with one of my teammates and went for a sweep as he was ducking in for underhooks, and we ended up with his forehead impacting my temple at great speed. Made a sound like a watermelon hitting the pavement. I finished out the session, but by the time I got home, everything was really bright, and I kept forgetting what time it was. Had to take 3 days off work because I had a pounding headache, was too sensitive to be around flourescent lights, and when someone asked me how to fix a routine Outlook problem, I burst into tears because I didn't know what "email" meant. I was the IT manager for the firm at the time. :psyduck:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Why are you practicing takedowns on a wooden floor?!?
That one was totally on me. We have a warm up room with a padded floor where we typically train take downs on for the first time (we still need to do the actual test on the wooden floor), but since I had been taken down tons by that time (although not nearly as often as you ground work people do) and believed I knew how to fall correctly, I just went straight out to the wood floor. That was my call.

In retrospect, I should have known better. My friend who did the take down on me is approx 6'4", fit, clamped on to me with his legs and whipped me back so fast I was totally taken by surprise. Much faster than the others. Afterwards I trained in the backroom (learned my lesson) and started by not standing quite so tall and being a little hunched over a little in prep for the backwards fall.

But, we do all our take downs on the wood floor for testing so we start moving from the padded floor to the main floor as students get comfortable with it. Although most of the other take downs we do the attacker is more able to control the person and their fall so it's not really a high risk unless there is a really large size differential or if it goes really sideways.

We really don't do take downs often, NEVER do it in sparring and is always 100% planned and never a surprise. But they are prerequisites and part of the test for blue/red/black. As a black belt I won't do any again until I start training for my 2nd or need to assist a more junior belt for their test or just do it to keep in practice.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

slidebite posted:

That one was totally on me. We have a warm up room with a padded floor where we typically train take downs on for the first time (we still need to do the actual test on the wooden floor), but since I had been taken down tons by that time (although not nearly as often as you ground work people do) and believed I knew how to fall correctly, I just went straight out to the wood floor. That was my call.

In retrospect, I should have known better. My friend who did the take down on me is approx 6'4", fit, clamped on to me with his legs and whipped me back so fast I was totally taken by surprise. Much faster than the others. Afterwards I trained in the backroom (learned my lesson) and started by not standing quite so tall and being a little hunched over a little in prep for the backwards fall.

But, we do all our take downs on the wood floor for testing so we start moving from the padded floor to the main floor as students get comfortable with it. Although most of the other take downs we do the attacker is more able to control the person and their fall so it's not really a high risk unless there is a really large size differential or if it goes really sideways.

We really don't do take downs often, NEVER do it in sparring and is always 100% planned and never a surprise. But they are prerequisites and part of the test for blue/red/black. As a black belt I won't do any again until I start training for my 2nd or need to assist a more junior belt for their test or just do it to keep in practice.

This isn’t a judgement, just curious, why don’t you all use removable foldable mats for when you need to do takedowns and falls on the hardwood?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We actually do both for training. The main gym has the padded back room so we use that, the satellite schools don't so they use tumble mats.

But for the actual testing and such it's always on hardwood, because, well, I guess its just one of those things that's just the way it's always been done. Part of it is probably getting over a fear of falling/learning to fall properly without hurting yourself but :shrug:.

That said, we have such a concussion awareness thing going on now I wouldn't be surprised if it gets brought up we might make a change, or maybe give it as an option? I never thought about it tbh.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

slidebite posted:

We actually do both for training. The main gym has the padded back room so we use that, the satellite schools don't so they use tumble mats.

But for the actual testing and such it's always on hardwood, because, well, I guess its just one of those things that's just the way it's always been done. Part of it is probably getting over a fear of falling/learning to fall properly without hurting yourself but :shrug:.

That said, we have such a concussion awareness thing going on now I wouldn't be surprised if it gets brought up we might make a change, or maybe give it as an option? I never thought about it tbh.

I got into a little bit of trouble once when I was training Wing Chun. We were doing free sparring and Sifu encouraged those of us with backgrounds in other arts to use them. So the guy comes in and I slip forward and throw him and as I’m starting the throw Sifu yells, “Not on the [hardwood] floor!” so I stop and hold the guy up so he doesn’t fall. I was so used to training on mats it completely slipped my mind we were on wooden floor making falls more dangerous.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 10, 2023

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Just finished my fourth class of WC. I'm loving it! I have a question, though I guess this may fall into general fitness advice?

As a class, we all warm up and stretch at the start, but once we're done for the day, we line up, get a debriefing, then change and go home. Myself, being essentially new to continuous/daily exercise, have been an achy and out-of-breath mess since starting Tuesday last week. One thing I'm aware of, but never really practiced, is cooldown/wind-down stretches/exercises. This may be part of why i'm extra out of breath/feeling slightly unfocused by the time the class ends.

They don't exactly shoo the class out of the room so I was wondering what would be recommended as ways to wind down and recollect myself, before changing and driving home? Especially for a beginner. I appreciate any input, thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Firstly, IANAE and these are based on my experiences as starting as an out of shape guy in middle age, now I'm only slightly less out of shape but more middle aged :haw:

You're probably achy because as you said you're new to exercise, or at least its not helping.

That said, how much of a warm up are you doing before you stretch at the beginning of class? We always do some good warm up exercise for about 12-15 minutes (light-med cardio, maybe sliding to hard for the last 2-3 minutes) at the beginning of class and some stretching exercises are incorporated into it.

At the end of class, we almost always do cool down stretches while we are still warm from training, either solo, with a partner, or against a wall (again solo or partner). We get into it immediately after our last bit of training, like maybe enough time to take off our sparring gear, grab a quick swig of water and that's it. It won't last as long as our warm up, typically only about 5 minutes, but we almost always do it unless we really get tight against the clock and have a different class immediately after ours.

I can say that I almost always feel tighter afterwards if I don't do a stretch at the end of class as part of a cool down routine. And a really good stretch after a hard workout just feels awesome.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Morter posted:

Just finished my fourth class of WC. I'm loving it! I have a question, though I guess this may fall into general fitness advice?

As a class, we all warm up and stretch at the start, but once we're done for the day, we line up, get a debriefing, then change and go home. Myself, being essentially new to continuous/daily exercise, have been an achy and out-of-breath mess since starting Tuesday last week. One thing I'm aware of, but never really practiced, is cooldown/wind-down stretches/exercises. This may be part of why i'm extra out of breath/feeling slightly unfocused by the time the class ends.

They don't exactly shoo the class out of the room so I was wondering what would be recommended as ways to wind down and recollect myself, before changing and driving home? Especially for a beginner. I appreciate any input, thanks!

Here's the outline of a kendo practice at my club. I'm a beginner.

arrive, set up dojo, a few practice strikes on your own while everyone gets ready

opening ceremony (bowing in and announcements in seiza)

formal group warmup: light jog, stretching, practice strikes as a group. you've got a sweat going by now

if time permits, footwork drills

standardized drills against a practice partner, starting with 'kirikaeshi'. by the time this is over you're quite warmed up.

[a few other practice segments i couldn't describe well for you go here as the instructor decides per class]

open practice: you wait a while and get short lessons with your seniors or instructors, tailored to you. by the end of this you're supposed to be quite tired

'kirikaeshi' gets called out again, you find a partner and do that drill again as a formal cooldown

closing ceremony (quick lecture and bow-out in seiza)

formally thank + get your review from whoever you practiced with

change out and put the dojo away

hang out for like an hour eating snacks and drinking your favorite beverage. this is the best part

leave

I dunno how typical this is across disciplines but it gets me real warm, then real tired, then nice and cool. Your instructor might be programming in some formal cooldowns that don't feel like it yet, but even if not - why not just do a fundamentals drill extra slow before you leave? Or, people might be hanging out a bit after practice catching their breath and you just don't realize it yet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Question/opinion:

I'm considering getting a small bit of ink on back of calf. My thought is of my belts from white to BB as it's something I worked really hard on for years and accomplished and still very much enjoy.

I'm going to make an appointment to talk to a recommended artist, BUT, if you were to do this would you think white at bottom with black on top, or white on top with black on bottom?

I know little about tattoos but I've heard that white is not a great color (yellows with time) so not entirely sure how to do it. In fact if white is a no go, maybe it will be moot and just do a black... maybe with the gold stripe for 1 Dan.

I'm thinking something"like" this, but much tighter, with stripes on the ends of the belts, maybe overhanging into the one underneath? Or maybe the other way around with BB on top? Most of the belt displays I've seen have the BB/most senior on top but I've certainly seen them the other way too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slidebite posted:

Question/opinion:

I'm considering getting a small bit of ink on back of calf. My thought is of my belts from white to BB as it's something I worked really hard on for years and accomplished and still very much enjoy.

I'm going to make an appointment to talk to a recommended artist, BUT, if you were to do this would you think white at bottom with black on top, or white on top with black on bottom?

I know little about tattoos but I've heard that white is not a great color (yellows with time) so not entirely sure how to do it. In fact if white is a no go, maybe it will be moot and just do a black... maybe with the gold stripe for 1 Dan.

I'm thinking something"like" this, but much tighter, with stripes on the ends of the belts, maybe overhanging into the one underneath? Or maybe the other way around with BB on top? Most of the belt displays I've seen have the BB/most senior on top but I've certainly seen them the other way too.

So I'm going to be supportive generally here but critical of the specifics: I personally don't like belt tattoos because I don't think they look great as tattoos in the end. (plus I've seen several that were intended to get filled in with each promotion that are like... white and blue with three blank ones afterward which will never ever get filled). And you're right, white won't hold very well as a fill colour in the long term. It's more of an accent/shading/contrast ink.

Talk to the artist, but also look for ways to abstract the idea somehow into another design. Like, I have a jolly sloth tattoo that is a bit of a grappling tattoo for me. If maybe there's an animal that you feel can symbolize how you feel about your own relationship to TKD, that could be the focus of the tattoo, and if you want the colours they could be incorporated. Or If the sequential progress through the colours is the emblem that you like, ask the artist if they have any ideas for how to represent that sequence without it being just a heap of belts. Honestly, I think might prefer a tattoo of those colours just as abstract bands rather than simple representative belts.

e. idk if this is for you but as another example a series of flowers in those colours would just be a decent tattoo on its own

Also drop into the YLLS tattoo thread for suggestions. They can also answer questions about how tattoos work and what makes a good one rather than a bad one. There are some surprising wrinkles to tattoo art because it's drawing on an irregular, shifting surface and some ideas just don't work.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thank you for your input.

If a "belt" design is going to look crappy, then yeah, probably better not doing at all than having a fail/awful tattoo.

I'm not an animal person or at least nothing that would "mean" enough to me to ink it... however, your thought of instead of a actual belt, more of a representation. I might like the simple "band" representation, potentially envision just the ends of the belts, so basically colored "rectangles" with the stripe on the end. Not quite so obvious to those that might see them but that's fine. It's for me, not other people.

Still not sure how to do the white, I guess a person could just do without it but I would like something to represent it for completeness. I'll speak to the artist recommended to me and get his thoughts.

I didn't know we had a forum that had tattoo discussion, but shouldn't be surprised. Maybe I'll drop in. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slidebite posted:

Question/opinion:

Belt tattoos are bad imho. However if you really wanna do a TKD focused tattoo may I suggest getting something that represents Korea as a whole?

Something like a minhwa painting of a tiger, long referred to as the national animalistic symbol of Korea.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 13, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Belt tattoos are bad imho. However if you really wanna do a TKD focused tattoo may I suggest getting something that represents Korea as a whole?

Something like a minhwa painting of a tiger, long referred to as the national animalistic symbol of Korea.

I love those loving tigers and I've thought about getting one myself

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are lots of variations you could go with for the style. The derp eyes are just the more iconic ones.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is semi-serious and more to help you think of a good tattoo idea by letting you think a bit farther outside the box -

A great TKD tattoo, at least proportional to certain tastes: trad-style Nick Diaz wearing a Dobok with the caption WE'RE THROWIN' SPINNIN' poo poo NOW

Like, I might get that tat and I don't even do TKD.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Morter posted:

Sounds like you've got runner's high combined with getting acclimated to the workout. I used to get this a lot when I was in worse shape. Best advice for this is to make sure you do "something" every day to get your body used to the activity. I'd say make sure that on days that you don't have class, go to the gym if you do, or do some home exercises that compliment your training. When I was in TKD I would spend a half hour or so alternating sets of pushups, squats, and then like holding a bridge or doing bike riders and then using one of those leg stretchers.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Yeah, that makes sense, and I have been working out a 30-60 minutes with some stretches, drills we learned, and VR games at my difficulty, mainly to try and build cardio/endurance.

That said, any recommended set of cool down stretches would be appreciated. For now I'm just googling stuff to try and remember to do after my next class.

For what it's worth, usually after we're dismissed, the instructor talks to some people about events, or goes over whatever a student is asking them about. Often, though, I'm in the latest class and people are often waiting to close up shop. I'm 99% certain they wouldn't shoo me out if I stayed an extra 5 minutes, but I'm certain that as a group there is no post-class cool down that I've caught anyone do, since I tend to stay a little extra so as to not miss anything.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the ink ideas and big picture thoughts with it. I'm a super conservative person and a tattoo is totally out of character for me. But, it was a pretty big milestone in my life so I think, short of marriage, a child, it's right up there with things.

I really like the Korea angle, and maybe the tiger, but they really aren't "me" - and don't really speak to me or who I am. I'm kind of a literalist.
I'll absolutely give his some thought though and thanks for making me look a little further outside the box even if I regress to something fairly simple.

Morter posted:

Yeah, that makes sense, and I have been working out a 30-60 minutes with some stretches, drills we learned, and VR games at my difficulty, mainly to try and build cardio/endurance.
Like most things fitness related, cardio is one of those things where the only thing that works continual work and effort. You need to push yourself repeatedly. As in 30-45 minutes of straight, hard work with hardly any breaks in between. It will suck and you will be a wet mess, but one of these days you're going to realize "Huh. I can do X, pretty easily actually, and it used to kill me."

The unfortunate side effect, if you take more than a week or two off you will (or at least I do) notice your cardio will drop. BUT it should bounce back pretty quickly. Or at least that's what happens to me.

I'll go through our member pages and see if we have any warm stretches for cool down to share. But I noticed as my general fitness improved, I wasn't absolutely slammed with soreness as badly the days after. Unless, of course, you take a some good hits which is pretty much going to bruise/be sore regardless.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
one reason that many noobs are out of breath when doing martial arts is that they forgot to Breathe. make sure to breathe

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

OctaMurk posted:

one reason that many noobs are out of breath when doing martial arts is that they forgot to Breathe. make sure to breathe

FACTS. Last week I was deep into some weird guard position and my instructor is walking around and just looking down going "good good but breathe." I did. It helped.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

slidebite posted:

I'm kind of a literalist.

Why not a line drawing of your favorite technique?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Heh, an illustrated reverse hook kick in the style of xkcd would be cool in its own right but that's not really what I'm looking to do.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

One of the main goals of any self-defense or martial arts training is learning to maintain mindfulness about things like breath, posture and balance that we normally take for granted in a stressful situation. As you improve your technique and become more familiar with your surroundings, you will gain more mental space to focus on your breathing. When you start, a lot of your thoughts are things like 'holy poo poo that guy is strong' or 'gently caress what do i do here' and as you become able to answer those questions automatically and quickly in your head, you can start thinking and calming down in those situations, which is the real goal.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010
Anyone got any tips for tying a judo gi belt when it will only wrap around once? It’ll be a bit before I drop the weight to get it around twice, and I’m hoping there’s a method so it doesn’t look like a half-assed knot

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not Judo and zero relation to this link/club, but this is basically the same way I tie my double wrap.
https://youtu.be/hD-hAzoA-mM

Never had to do a single wrap, but can't you just get a size or two larger belt? Belt size not matching uniform size is pretty common. I wear a 5 uni and can wear a 5 belt, but I prefer the hang of a 6.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

So I finally had a lovely interaction in BJJ. We had some dude who I guess was a visiting blue belt from another school and seemed super cocky from the start. After class we were free rolling, he asks if I want to spar and I tell him I really just wanted to work on a guard pass, and he's fine with this. This is the one I'm focusing on at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrD643OqTao

So I start going for this, get the leg underhook in and start transitioning to the side control, then dude just loses his poo poo and tells me I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm doing 2 different passes at the same time and literally says "Whatever you're doing doesn't work. You see this triangle on my gi? (blue Renzo Gracie gi covered in patches) That means GRACIE JIU JITSU and represents the triangle choke which I'd catch you in if you try this." Dude then tries to teach me a couple of passes and I could tell that he knew what he was doing but man, he was a lovely teacher. Class was great but MAN that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ha ha haaaaa what an rear end in a top hat.

"I would do X" is such a stupid mental trap when someone demos a move on you. No loving poo poo you would do things, that's Jiu Jitsu. And since belts apparently matter (they don't) I'm a purple belt so I'm right and also I'm going to be referring to this guy only as "lesser".

Lesser is an idiot, ignore him. Mention it to your coach now that the guy is gone so they can watch for it next time.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 21, 2023

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ha ha haaaaa what an rear end in a top hat.

"I would do X" is such a stupid mental trap when someone demos a move on you. No loving poo poo you would do things, that's Jiu Jitsu. And since belts apparently matter (they don't) I'm a purple belt so I'm right and also I'm going to be referring to this guy only as "lesser".

Lesser is an idiot, ignore him. Mention it to your coach now that the guy is gone so they can watch for it next time.

Hahah yeah, most of our upper level guys are really good about policing folks like this. They already bounced some clumsy rear end high school wrestler after he hurt a few people (me included). So since you're a purple, how effective IS that guard pass I posted? I can see where you may get caught in a triangle, but I also see how to avoid it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Reeks of DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM??? vibe.

gently caress off, douche.

Even if he is right, literally everyone trains to learn and that attitude is a total shithead and doesn't belong in any first rate school.

I don't give a poo poo if you're a white belt or a master. Quality high ranking people would never do that. Even if a mistake is made, there are far better ways to turn something into an educational experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm flattered you'd ask my opinion but anything labeled "basic X" and demo'd by Rickson is absolutely fine.

The details that are going to make it hard for you to be triangled is going to be:

Keeping your hand pinning his hip down
Keeping your elbow in so it can't be flared out
Keeping your posture upright

Sure, you might do it wrong, or your opponent might do the posture break down into triangle better, but that's not the same thing as "move wrong, don't do". What a jerk.

Pinning their hips down, keeping my posture up, keeping my elbows in, and forcing my own hips back to open their guard, is like almost my entire guard passing game, lolol It's fundamental and that guy's silly.