Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Or you can do the wiggle test.

Tbh as a scav, it's prob best to not shoot anyone unless you're really sure. The rep hit isn't worth it. I had to grind from like -2 back up when I was learning to tell the difference last month.

Bots have learned to wiggle too :v: Just jump, they don't know how to do that. Or yeah, use mic.

Also once they damage you, or kill any other Scav, it's free fire, they're branded as traitors and killing them will increase your karma. If other Scavs are already shooting them, join in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Or you can do the wiggle test.

Tbh as a scav, it's prob best to not shoot anyone unless you're really sure. The rep hit isn't worth it. I had to grind from like -2 back up when I was learning to tell the difference last month.

Alright sounds like good advice.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Ulio posted:

Alright sounds like good advice.

The most important part of the scav code is to always use your F1 voicelines. If you hear movement nearby as a pscav, mash that F1 key. If you don't hear a scav voiceline back you know its either a PMC or a scav that is up to no good. A PMC can lie to you via VOIP, but they cannot impersonate a scav F1. Also, this means if you hear a scav voiceline nearby make sure to hit your F1 key to respond, this will ensure that they don't think you are a PMC or a bad scav. This is the core of the player scav code, sure traitor scavs can also press F1 but I find that nearly 100% of the time a F1 key player scav won't shoot you. It's almost always the quiet scavs you gotta watch out for. Of course, all bets are off when there is an airdrop or some dead Chads with juiced loot. Then you gotta watch out.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

The other night me and another PScav both came across the result of a PMC shootout at the same time, and we're both chill just looting piles of corpses, but I ended up on the juiced out corpse. Stood back up wearing a full juice kit, other PScav just staring at me.

Could see the gears turning....

He decided to be chill though. I like to think I would have done the same.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Seems like whenever a Dark and Darker playtest begins, we talk about it a little in this thread, but with this most recent playtest I wanted to stop having to do that. So, now there is a Dark and Darker thread so we can stop making GBS threads up the Tarkov thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023427

And open beta test #4 has begin, so you can play now.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
For the first time I just cooperated with another random solo PMC to kill tagilla and neither of us murdered the other after we killed him. Another wholesome tarkov interaction :yaycloud:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I had never heard of this game before last night, but I have been playing the poo poo out of the Dark and Darker playtests so when someone described this as 'Dark and Darker but it's also STALKER' I had to check it out.

the FOV defaults to 50 for some reason and the headbob defaults to 'severely drunk' so I had to put it down after one raid, because I found it physically nauseating to play.

other than that it was interesting, though; I encountered a bunch of corpses scattered around, and a single other living player. we stared at each other warily in the street for a few seconds before running off in opposite directions.

I then ran out of time in the round without ever seeing any kind of UI indication for where the hell I was supposed to go to escape. is the assumption that anyone playing will have taken the time to research the maps first and just know where all the extraction points are?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

yeah bsg doesn't give a gently caress about any of that and expects you to either suffer or just refer to third party resources for 90% of the game information

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Hearing someone describe tarkov as "dark and darker, but" is absolutely hilarious to me

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Dark, and darker butt.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's amazing how Punisher 4 kills my interest in this game every single time

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Mister Bates posted:

I had never heard of this game before last night, but I have been playing the poo poo out of the Dark and Darker playtests so when someone described this as 'Dark and Darker but it's also STALKER' I had to check it out.

the FOV defaults to 50 for some reason and the headbob defaults to 'severely drunk' so I had to put it down after one raid, because I found it physically nauseating to play.

other than that it was interesting, though; I encountered a bunch of corpses scattered around, and a single other living player. we stared at each other warily in the street for a few seconds before running off in opposite directions.

I then ran out of time in the round without ever seeing any kind of UI indication for where the hell I was supposed to go to escape. is the assumption that anyone playing will have taken the time to research the maps first and just know where all the extraction points are?

Having a 2nd monitor or your phone with maps up is very important when you are learning, https://mapgenie.io/tarkov this site is good.

Focus on a couple maps at first like Customs & Woods since these are where most of your early quests are focused. Also, if you want to learn maps without too much pressure try scav runs. These are essentially free loot runs with no stakes, it is a great way to learn the maps just keep in mind the Scav extraction locations are different from the ones available to PMCs. One thing, though, don't shoot other scavs if you are on a scav run, you will take a faction hit with one of the traders.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
Was watching a true crime thing and this popped up in the killer's browser history:

Tarkov causes murder.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
It's mind-boggling there is no UI for extractions until you're inside them. But just spend a few hours in each map with some reference guides and it will become second nature.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

CaptainEO posted:

It's mind-boggling there is no UI for extractions until you're inside them. But just spend a few hours in each map with some reference guides and it will become second nature.

hit the O key twice

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
why is an FOV of 50 even an option anyway, are they trying to simulate the experience of playing a game while wearing an old-timey dive helmet

anyway, after fixing that, I grouped up with a friend who was also trying the game, we both died four times in a row to people we never even saw, died a fifth time to what I think was a map edge sniper because we didn't know where those were or how they worked, died a sixth time due to mistaken identity during a chaotic firefight and accidentally fatally shooting each other, died a seventh time in some incredibly tense and fun PVP action that genuinely felt like it could have gone either way, and then something clicked and I had five successful extractions in a row before I realized that it was 1:30am and I had work in the morning.

Not giving you a map unless you already have one in your inventory is incredibly dumb and does not feel like it adds anything to the game at all, it just means I was pulling it up on my phone instead of pressing a button in the game. Loot and lootable containers are also more or less impossible to distinguish from the surrounding environment and you need to either already know where they're going to be or just ram your face into every likely-looking object to see if an interact button pops up. In general the game feels very hostile to new players and like it is designed primarily to reward prior knowledge - you navigate a map by already knowing where everything is, you find extraction points by having previously looked them up on a wiki, you find good loot by having a map open that tells you where it spawns or by having memorized those locations yourself, you distinguish between scavs and PMCs by already knowing what they look and sound like, so far almost all of my difficulties with learning the game have been trying to deal with the game poorly communicating important information to me or outright obfuscating it. What is the difference between these billion different ammo types per caliber and which ones are worth using? I don't know, look it up in a guide, the game is quite uninterested in telling you.

The overall impression I came away with is of a game that's good by accident, like the developer was attempting to make a lovely game and inadvertently farted out a flawed gem in a sort of Springtime for Hitler situation. It's a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to playing more of it, but it's, like, fun in spite of itself?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Mister Bates posted:

why is an FOV of 50 even an option anyway, are they trying to simulate the experience of playing a game while wearing an old-timey dive helmet

Anyone know if FOV bugs are still a thing? I haven't noticed myself but in the past high FOV would gently caress your aim.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“Fun in spite of itself” is the most honest assessment of Tarkov I’ve ever seen.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

All of the stuff you're complaining about is absolutely true, and assuming you stick with the game absolutely none of it will matter to you in a month, tops. You learn very fast in Tarkov or you quit playing.

Don't go nuts with your FOV by the way, that fish-eye poo poo makes it nearly impossible to see people at distance.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's amazing how Punisher 4 kills my interest in this game every single time

Almost made the exact same post yesterday. Why does it have to be Shoreline.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Almost made the exact same post yesterday. Why does it have to be Shoreline.

Can we saw Shoreline off and let it float away like Bugs Bunny and Florida? That seems ideal.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

Mister Bates posted:

anyway, after fixing that, I grouped up with a friend who was also trying the game, we both died four times in a row to people we never even saw, died a fifth time to what I think was a map edge sniper because we didn't know where those were or how they worked, died a sixth time due to mistaken identity during a chaotic firefight and accidentally fatally shooting each other, died a seventh time in some incredibly tense and fun PVP action that genuinely felt like it could have gone either way, and then something clicked and I had five successful extractions in a row before I realized that it was 1:30am and I had work in the morning.

Not giving you a map unless you already have one in your inventory is incredibly dumb and does not feel like it adds anything to the game at all, it just means I was pulling it up on my phone instead of pressing a button in the game. Loot and lootable containers are also more or less impossible to distinguish from the surrounding environment and you need to either already know where they're going to be or just ram your face into every likely-looking object to see if an interact button pops up. In general the game feels very hostile to new players and like it is designed primarily to reward prior knowledge - you navigate a map by already knowing where everything is, you find extraction points by having previously looked them up on a wiki, you find good loot by having a map open that tells you where it spawns or by having memorized those locations yourself, you distinguish between scavs and PMCs by already knowing what they look and sound like, so far almost all of my difficulties with learning the game have been trying to deal with the game poorly communicating important information to me or outright obfuscating it. What is the difference between these billion different ammo types per caliber and which ones are worth using? I don't know, look it up in a guide, the game is quite uninterested in telling you.

The overall impression I came away with is of a game that's good by accident, like the developer was attempting to make a lovely game and inadvertently farted out a flawed gem in a sort of Springtime for Hitler situation. It's a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to playing more of it, but it's, like, fun in spite of itself?

FOV in tarkov is vertical angle, not horizontal.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

I had never heard of this game before last night, but...

Mister Bates posted:

Game broke this guy in 24 hours

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Posting like a tarkov vet already.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I guess the real Tarkov is the friends we made along the way.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

matryx posted:

FOV in tarkov is vertical angle, not horizontal.

why

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

makes it easier to, uh, switch between 16:9 and other aspect ratios without needing to do math? I guess?

actually wait this is a Unity game so it's just because Tarkov exposes the raw Unity camera FOV setting to the UI :magical:

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

tarkov was designed in a vacuum. somehow none of the developers or designers have ever played a videogame before in their lives, and thus suffer no preconceptions of what one should be like. it's bottled slavjank lightning. this is a part of why nobody else can successfully make a tarkov, i think

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

someone in the discord has an ultrawide monitor so he straight up sees an insane amount more of the game than normal screens lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

someone in the discord has an ultrawide monitor so he straight up sees an insane amount more of the game than normal screens lol

lol. pay to win getting out of hand these days

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Tarkov in ultrawide is so immersive I couldn't imagine going back to 16:9

LordOfWar
Feb 23, 2007
YOU ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!!
I use 3440x1440 and I cant play the game any other way now, only issue is I still suck at the game and no one plays it any more plus being in the UK not many here that play but I still try

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Player base will probably pick up slightly starting tomorrow. A ton of people tried out Dark and Darker, it's most recent beta cycle ended and this is the game they'll likely go back to. Give what else is out there and available (it's all poo poo right now).

Edit: Even I, someone who HATES Tarkov right now, updated it to maybe play a little during this drought of games. It's that or Mortal Online 2, and let me tell you, as bad as Tarkov is, MO2 is way worse.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

There's something that's always bothered me about the game. When you get dropped as a PMC you get returned to your hideout, alive. Clearly someone is dragging your rear end back to base.

Your player scav always has a different name, but they level up as a consistent character. They also give you all their poo poo to fund your various escapades.

Is your PScav basically Alfred to your PMCs Batman?

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Like do you have this gopnik butler in the background taking care of your poo poo?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
your PMC and scav reincarnate as each other, hoarding material possessions and constantly incurring more karmic debt

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Shumagorath posted:

your PMC and scav reincarnate as each other, hoarding material possessions and constantly incurring more karmic debt

:hmmyes:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I always thought it was more like the movie Clue. You get head eyes'd and the screen pops up with "that's how it could have happened...how about this?"

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
had a really fun moment on Interchange where my non-goon friends and I were making our way out of the mall fully laden with loot and blundered into a pair of p-scavs headed in the opposite direction

in the resulting panicked spraying on both sides, one scav and one of our three-man group died and everyone on both sides was shot to poo poo, and we pulled back into a nearby storefront to hole up, waiting for the other guy to either charge in or leave. Instead we listened to him rallying a couple other random p-scavs nearby over VOIP and try to talk them into attacking us, which they ultimately did, all dying in the process. I then expired from blood loss.

None of us made it out in the end but it was pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Every scav is a real person that has been isekai’d into Tarkov. Even the bots.

I Got Hit By A Bus And Now I’m Screaming Nonsense and Firing Wildly Into the Air At New Gas?!?