Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
"He used a dream ritual on us but it made his face fall off."

lol, that is really a line Mookie wrote and went 'Yes, okay, that's adequate.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Don't you hate it when you do a dream ritual but then your face falls off?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It really does make snout look like an offensive portrayal of someone handicapped.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

What is Jacob supposed to do in the meantime? Have astral plane necrosex with the original corpsemom?

Occasionally interrupt the terrible sex to hand Snout notes with puns about his boner

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Dabir posted:

Occasionally interrupt the terrible sex to hand Snout notes with puns about his boner

"It's what Dominic would have wanted"

That made me realize: compared to the original DD, the number of puns in Legacy is basically non-existent. Did Mookie just lose interest in puns?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

His format with puns (and alliteration for whatever reason) is (was?) that a character delivers it, the other character gets it, and they make a groany face. Having all the dialogue in-world be mediated through text probably kills his ability to insert jokes like that - just as it hinders pacing and dialogue more generally.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Breadmaster posted:

"It's what Dominic would have wanted"

That made me realize: compared to the original DD, the number of puns in Legacy is basically non-existent. Did Mookie just lose interest in puns?

He made plenty of puns on the Twitter posts for each update.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Kinda just realized if the comic was framed as Snout telling this story after it happened the no dialogue would work a lot better. Of course, that involves phrases like "I was so naive back then" or even "I had no idea what I was about to find" which requires planning ahead, so RIP.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Baller Ina posted:

Kinda just realized if the comic was framed as Snout telling this story after it happened the no dialogue would work a lot better. Of course, that involves phrases like "I was so naive back then" or even "I had no idea what I was about to find" which requires planning ahead, so RIP.

Mookie is also not that imaginative

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Baller Ina posted:

That would require Mookie to think about how the story might end, and I suspect he often doesn't know how the page will end.

Also, if the story were Snout writing about his adventure after the fact, every second or third chapter would be cutting to the present day for the comic's own coffee shop AU.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 14, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
How I Met My Mommies
by Snout

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Next week will also open with an advert instead of a comic.

quote:

Reprinting Omnibus 2
With a number of 2023 conventions on the horizon and a need to catch up for time lost during the pandemic, it’s time to start printing and reprinting books. The latter is the subject of today’s blog, and will likely be all I talk about for the next month.

The second printing of the second volume!

Next week, on Monday February 20, I’ll be launching a Kickstarter campaign to reprint Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, THE COMPLETE SERIES Volume 2!

There will be an in-house advertisement announcing this in place of a comic on that day. I know it’s a bit soon to do that again, after recently putting all my current books on sale through Gumroad and posting an advertisement instead of a comic, but it remains the best place to make huge announcements like this. And nowadays, more than ever, you have to be as loud and frequent as you can when talking about crowdfunding projects.

My heart is in my throat, though. Since the last reprinting project three years(!) ago and the first printing of Curious in 2021, the price of paper has doubled for printers. The goal for this campaign is higher than any I’ve done, either for Dominic Deegan books or for Star Power, so to say I’m anxious is an understatement. But I have faith, and I’m offering a bunch of combo book deals, discounts, and commission opportunities. I’ll be working my butt off to give you fine folks your money’s worth, as I feel as I’ve always done.

Fingers crossed for next week, and the month of the campaign!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

you can just put a big banner above the update for an ad instead of replacing the update with an ad

he new at websites or something?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Mx. posted:

you can just put a big banner above the update for an ad instead of replacing the update with an ad

he new at websites or something?

But... the algorithm!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

quote:

I’ll be working my butt off to give you fine folks your money’s worth, as I feel as I’ve always done

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wait, but the comic is free :thunk:

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Even though I don't like the comic, I can honestly say there's value in having a comic you like all in one place in a book you can put in your backpack or whatever. Even if you can read it for free on the internet.

Not this one, of course.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
We've gone from travel sequences, to characters recapping events that just happened, to ads for the collections of the comic itself.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If this KS funds, I’m going to be so loving confused.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It depends on what he's asking. If it's a reasonable amount, he probably has enough fans who will make it happen.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I do not wish Mookie any ill will for this latest printing, but “the re-print of the second volume of the series I wrote ten years ago needs to hit higher goals than any previous publishing I’ve ever done” does not strike me as being well positioned for success

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I wonder if he's still giving out free copies of Natural Necromancy at conventions.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

skeleton warrior posted:

I do not wish Mookie any ill will for this latest printing, but “the re-print of the second volume of the series I wrote ten years ago needs to hit higher goals than any previous publishing I’ve ever done” does not strike me as being well positioned for success

In this economy with peoples taste for crowdfunding pre-orders in general today as well. Unless the goal is super low, i dont expect his actual target audience being large enough or have deep enough pockets

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He got 322 people to pledge $32K for the first omnibus 3 years ago. It doesn't take too many people to fund things if you have even a small following.

Hell, Star Power had a $27K Kickstarter and not even Deegan fans like Star Power.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Mookies never failed a Deegan Kickstarter and honestly good for him

I'd be surprised if this one didn't succeed tbh

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I thought that fourth panel was fake, I don't think he's ever drawn Snout and Arudak being that intimate. I was like, 'no way, that's two pictures spliced together'

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Happy Landfill posted:

I thought that fourth panel was fake, I don't think he's ever drawn Snout and Arudak being that intimate. I was like, 'no way, that's two pictures spliced together'

I feel like the Christian Sidehug is a low bar, but they have stepped over it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Have we ever seen cameras in Dominic Deegan at any point or do people just pose like that when they have their portraits painted?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand how that page came after the previous page.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Midnight Voyager posted:

This but for every single page of this comic.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

Way overdue for them to do anything closer than like a brofist but I fully expect this to be as far as it ever goes.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

This but for every single page of this comic.

emptyquote

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Trapezium Dave posted:

Have we ever seen cameras in Dominic Deegan at any point or do people just pose like that when they have their portraits painted?

And if it is a portrait why's he just letting the canvas hang loose like that

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Legacy of Dominic Deegan.txt really.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Arudak sobbing in the second panel: "Man, those blowjobs were SO GOOD! WHY?"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Midnight Voyager posted:

Well, Arudak and Jacob were glaring at each other when Arudak was suddenly overcome with the memory of how good his wife's blowjobs were, so he had to do a dramatic pose. Jacob is used to this sort of crap and is patiently waiting for him to be done.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
The hugging (and hey, male affection for once! We're starting to get some equality!) works as a continuation of Snout talking about the power of friendship, but the first panel is an awkward transition into that. Why is Arudak standing in the middle of town looking at a photo of his ex? He did the same thing in his tower so I have to assume this is something he regularly does whenever he wants to start sulking on demand.

Jacob watching from a distance feels like non-sequitur but I'm waiting to see if Friday explains it. My theory is that Arudak asked Jacob if necromancy could bring back his hot dead ex and Jacob told him to gently caress off.

Edit: oh also, honestly I don't even care that Mookie's selling physical copies of his comics, not even if he puts those ads front and center. Artists gotta do whatever they can to promote their work, and if someone's just casually glancing at the site every few days they might miss a banner or a blog post. And nostalgia is a powerful enough drug that I can see some people wanting physical copies of original DD. The only thing that bugs me is that any sales of Legacy would be benefiting off uncredited traces of other people's art.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 15, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Clearly it was a camvra.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mx. posted:

Mookies never failed a Deegan Kickstarter and honestly good for him

I'd be surprised if this one didn't succeed tbh

He... He failed the Kickstarter for this comic and just did it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Dabir posted:

He... He failed the Kickstarter for this comic and just did it anyway

that wasnt a kickstarter ? i was sure it was a patreon tier that he quietly removed